PDA

View Full Version : In front of the barn

turlogh
12-09-2004, 06:22 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-09-2004/25315_steve+linda.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: In front of the barn
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 2' x 4'
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a portrait of my brother and his wife that I intend as a Christmas gift for my mother. It's been sitting unfinished for more than a year; I've finally decided to finish it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated.

Wayne Gaudon
12-09-2004, 06:58 PM
if you're in the shape of your brother no one is going to offer any bad critique. LOL .. this is very nice and I"m sure they will be very happy with it.

JoeKaz
12-09-2004, 08:16 PM
It looks really great. It has a really nice cohesive look - I'm probably not saying that right, but I mean that for a large work, I would have trouble keeping the big expanse of sky and grass looking 'right' next to the detail in the barn and the 2 figures. But you've pulled it all together very nicely. Actually, I'd love to see you post some closeups of the faces, and the grass around the feet - just to see your technique for my own selfish reasons. ;)

If I had to suggest anything, maybe some darker darks, but I have a feeling that it's okay in person and just looses some contrast in the photo.

katelynalain
12-09-2004, 08:55 PM
hi! this looks really good! i'm sure that she'll absolutely love it. my only comment is that since there are no really dark darks in the rest of the painting as JoeKaz said, the shadows that separate her from him seem a bit too dark and shaped a little funny. you may want to take another look at the shape of his arm in that area too..but its no big deal. a minor thing i am noticing. looks great!
ps-what's happening on Moody street in waltham these days? :D

Tamana
12-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Great positioning and balance. Maybe the trees in the distance beyond the barn a bit darker like those behind her? The eye tends to want to stop at the depth of the barn door...and there's so much more beyond that the eyes could be carried easily to vs. struggling away from the door to look.

Wonderful gift. :)

turlogh
12-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely consider them as I work the painting toward the finish line.

Dana Design
12-12-2004, 11:31 AM
David, I'd consider this finished. Don't do too much more to it. The softness of your palette really makes this painting. The figures, the barn, the trees, the softness of the sky that doesn't distract from the figures....all wonderful.

If you're going to "finish" this, I'd love to see the finish and perhaps a few close-ups as Wayne suggested.

Beautiful work!

Michael-Ann
12-12-2004, 04:28 PM
This is fantastic! Their faces are wonderful...I love paintings that seem to historically capture a moment.

bettyfaye
04-17-2005, 11:12 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-09-2004/25315_steve+linda.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:YOU,VE GOT THE PAINT, BRUSHES, AND THE DESIRE TO PAINT. VERY GOOD PAINTING. I PAINT A LOT OF BARN SCENES, LANDSCAPES, ETC. THIS COUPLE IS HAPPY, THAT MAKES THE PAINTING WORTH WHILE. VERY GOOD. BETTYFAYE :clap:
Title: In front of the barn
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 2' x 4'
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a portrait of my brother and his wife that I intend as a Christmas gift for my mother. It's been sitting unfinished for more than a year; I've finally decided to finish it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated.

dcorc
04-17-2005, 12:00 PM
As this has been pulled up from December of last year :rolleyes: I really don't see any point in any further discussions on it unless David (Turlogh) himself wants to make a response.

I comment here because people will often add things on without realising that it's probably pretty pointless (painting long since finished, and sold or gifted)given the age of an old thread that's been pulled back to the top like this.

Dave