GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lock keeper's lodge on the Rhine - Moselle Canal
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40' x 30'
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Water surfaces and trees drive me nuts. This is an attempt to beat both those devils into submission.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What needs to be done to make this thing work?

shirleyq
12-09-2004, 09:37 AM
My goodness, you chose a large area for the beating :D I think that you have accomplished your goal. I would add more detail in the foreground foliage but that may not be where you want to take this. Marvelous shadows :)

LisaArt
12-09-2004, 09:53 AM
It is just gorgeous. You did a fantastic job beating your devils.. :evil: Exception work on your water and shadows, as well as the trees. You could add more detail on the (viewers right) trees, as Shirley says, but I think it is just works well as is. I would not change a thing :clap:

Frida200
12-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Perfect!!!
No, no more details... it's perfect. Rhine Moselle... I've been there SO many times. You totally caught the atmosphere, I like this painting very much. As it is! The colors of the houses are beautiful. So peaceful and calm, the whole scene. More details would take away from that... IMHO.
Thanks for posting this!

Claudia

Spyderbabe
12-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Jim - you won over those guys....water and trees great. Could be my monitor but what's happening on the far side of the bridge? Looks foggy? too light.

Mikey
12-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Jim, this is a delightful painting. I can see what you mean about the water as it seems as you have shadows from the trees and not reflections. Can you see where you have slightly indicated the green in the water the suggestion of reflection is much better. I would leave this as done, but maybe increasing that effect would help another time. Thinking about this, due to the lighting I am expecting to see shadows. Is my perception being fooled here?

Mikey

instargalv
12-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Very nice work! My only small nit would be that there seems to be very strong shadowing on the left of the painting, but very little on the right. Especially on the buildings - eaves and such - and the bushes on the lower right. The mountains are especially well done.

jerryW
12-09-2004, 05:06 PM
superb color control
you make bland exciting
a big clap for that :clap:

Wayne Gaudon
12-09-2004, 07:07 PM
amazing control of value and color .. :clap:

Jim Updegraff
12-09-2004, 09:28 PM
First let me tell you all how appreciative I am of your comments. There needs to be a mea culpa, too. The intention was to post in Structured Critiques. I screwed up an put it here. None -the-less, this is doing all sorts of great things for my ego. As for specific comments:

Frieda, my wife and I went to Strasbourg in early September and took a canal boat from there to Nancy. It took five days even though it could not have been a trip of more than 100 km. It was as enjoyable and relaxing a vacation as we have ever had – except for the journey into hell that is the Charles Degaulle Airport. At any rate, between my internal clock still being on Midwestern time and my bladder I was up at 6:00 am every morning. No one else was up at that hour so I took walks along the canal. The painting is based on those walks.

There were all sorts of rented cabin cruisers on the canal. Some of the “plastic boats” had come from Frankfurt and Würzburg and must have been out for several weeks.

jerryW, maybe it’s just dirty brushes – I hate washing brushes.

instargalv and Mikie, the effect I was going for was of early morning light with the sun low on the left. From what I could see the shortly-after-dawn light does give a deep shadow on the water surface and minimal reflection in the shadow. With the sun that low there isn’t much shadow under eaves although the building on the far right should be shaded by the building next to it.

Spyderbabe, I can only hope that the stuff behind the bridge reads as fog, really river valley mist. I’m not very happy with it – not sufficiently gossamer. That you took it for fog and not a half dozen burst cotton bails is encouraging.

ShirleyQ, I thought about detailing the foreground more but it seemed to me that the middle ground was busy enough and I didn’t need the distraction – plus I didn’t have the patience to do it.

Again, my gratitude to all, not just for the complements, but also for the comments and suggestions.

Tamana
12-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Oh I saw this over in oils...beautiful dance between light & shadows. :)

woodguy
12-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Jim, this one, like the others that I viewed in "Landscapes," is very well done. You have certainly caught a very specific mood, and have painted it well! Seeing these large paintings on a small screen takes away much of the impact that they must have in real life. It is not a critique, but I would like to see more contrast. That has to do more with my aesthetic sense than what would help to make this "better." Great work for just having come back after so long :) Jim

Jim Updegraff
12-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Last week instargalv had suggested that there was something wrong with the treatment of shadows on the right side of the painting. On reflection, I think he is right so I reworked the thing a little. Here is a second shot at it.

My poor old grandmother once tried her hand at tatting – sort of a combination of knitting and lace making. After several days of struggle she threw it down yelling “Will somebody take this thing away from me!” I’m starting to know how she felt.

katelynalain
12-15-2004, 11:20 PM
great changes..although it looked good before too. i think you are most definitely finished. all looks great to MY discerning eye!!! i like your story about your grandma..i know exactly...