PDA

View Full Version : Spice Winds of Marrakech

MountainSong
12-09-2004, 01:35 AM
This is another attempt at that 'perfect red abstract' for over the desk. It's not bad - but it's not quite there yet either. :) However it does feel like a step forward artistically.

Oil on canvas with a light touch of gold leaf.
22" by 28" on gallery wrap

Side shot of gallery wrap shown along with a partial oblique angle shot of detail and the last is a composite of details from various places in the painting.

All comments and critiques appreciated and embraced.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/48549-Aaaa.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/48549-Aaaa_Profile.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/48549-Aaaaa_Detail_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/48549-Aaaa_detail.jpg

shinobi
12-09-2004, 03:19 AM
Hey MountainSong, that would look right over any desk.
Really like that combination of colors. It's balanced well and just looks...right! :D

ArtistJensen
12-09-2004, 03:48 AM
It's not often that I reply with WOW, but I will now.
WOW-WOW-WOW!!!
I would love to have this over my desk, Songbird.
I love it, it's beautiful. I know you have more to come.
The colors in this one is really mature. It's a clean, uncluttered abstract painting.
I'm really looking forward to see your next.

ArtistJensen
12-09-2004, 04:06 AM
I had another look.
It's like looking into the crater of a vulcano.
Lava is cooking. A great glove from inside.
It reminds me of feelings of passion, just waiting to explode into free air.
Great painting!! :)

hans.kok
12-09-2004, 06:15 AM
If you don't think it is perfect enough yet, just send it to me...

hm...
You can send it anyway, haha

Really wonderful
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Hans

wiscojaydub
12-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Mountainsong You are making that long and ardurous climb to da top.... why dontcha break open a brewski and enjoy the scenery! Yep this is milestone..yep i am is further evolving "pop"..phisssssssh ...slurp..ahhhh..whoooooohooo..what a trip..dudes and dudeesss! Great Red Abstract! :) jaydub :clap: :D

kasunart
12-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Its breathtaking. Great colors, lines and balance!

Lady Rando
12-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Wow, great painting. It sizzles with color and form. :)

lovingspain
12-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Love it! The painting exudes energy. Very intense.

ThurmanHubbard
12-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Forget them, send it to me. That is awesome, love the colors, especially the lavenders in the mix :clap: :clap: :clap: :cool:

muchfoolishness
12-09-2004, 05:22 PM
golden electricity
great movement and interest
im not so sure of the purples
they feel less incorporated than the reds and golds
floating on top of the painting
but that just me

Tamana
12-09-2004, 07:40 PM
The purple is a tad distracting to me in comparision to the rest; however, this is still your best so far, SongBird. Gold leaf is difficult to photo but I can envision it...I really like that center core of swirl like the warm smell of cinnamon.

WeiQi
12-09-2004, 08:14 PM
MS, it's gorgeous, beautiful and delicious! Yes, it is a big step forward.

Agree about the purplish blue though. It seems superfluous.

pearlgirl
12-09-2004, 08:37 PM
I see the bubblin up of intense emotion in this. I think red represents different emotions to different people. I see a red that is encouraging freedom through a fire like representation, ie, the bubbling forth of ones passionate nature through the fire of resistance.

I, too, felt restrained by the purple and found myself wondering if that was because it reflected the hinderance of growth and freedom. It is a powerful placement if it makes us question our limits...it is limiting if it makes us retract again!

Thoughts and emotional responses are good things to evoke IMHO.

chandlerjr
12-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Songmeister,
You have come a long way artistically lady!!!!! This one is not just good, it is not just great--it is worthy of a gallery. All of the right artistry, masterfully put on canvas: composition, palette, balance, and the decorative nature of the Cobalt Blue around the outer area of the canvas. Imaginative painting!

You have done well Grasshopper--you are now ready for the outside world and can now leave the temple.
Larry C.

Mirek Sledz
12-10-2004, 05:39 AM
Wow! :) Red period in your painting. I saw it's very fashionable colour last time.
Red is great antidotum to go out with depress when I catch it sometimes :p

themanda
12-10-2004, 11:04 AM
i could get lost in this. happily lost. :D

i had the exact same thought regarding the purple. my first impression was that it was a deterrent to the piece, but the longer i looked the more it seemed to add to the bubbling energy overall. it still doesn't feel like a comfortable marriage to me, but it does work on a level to create tension.

you are a profoundly talented artist and i'm very glad that you share your work with us.

MountainSong
12-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Oh My Gosh you people amaze and humble me! :clap: :cool:

Shinobi - Thank you. "It looks right" is a beautiful thing to say. When you look at a lot of art you know whether it looks right or not huh? :)

ArtistJensen - You said the colors look mature - that makes my heart sing! That has been an area I've been aware of that is deficient in my work and one I'm moving into focusing more on. Oh, and three WOW’S - OMG The songbird is asingin' now!!

ArtistJensen continued - It seems like lava has snuck into a couple paintings now - We are where we paint? We paint what we are? :D

Hanskok - Te-he-he! There have been a couple paintings that if you had of said that I would have just asked for your address! Oh my and three clappy guys! Yippee!

Wiscojaydub - How about a German White Wine when I get to the top? That is if it doesn't break in the backpack on the way up! :D :p Hey, Thanks a lot Dude - I mean it.

Kasunart - considering how much I respect your work - it is high praise to me that you find this piece breathtaking. Cheers!

Lady Rando - (love that name :D ) Thank you so much for coming by and looking and appreciating this. Sizzles it a wonderful descriptor for this painting.

Loving Spain - I believe these colors suit your end of the world too! The Moors left a lot of reds and saffron in Andalusia! And the intensity matches the Spanish heart verda?

Cablehunter! Ha-ha-ha! Love it! You’re cracking me up! And three clappy's too! You come on back any 'ole time you want. :D

Muchfoolishness - Again, words from an artist who’s work and talent I admire. It humbles me - thank you.
Several weeks ago I had to move my studio in doors due to the rains here. This painting was painted indoors and it looks completely different indoors. When I took it outside to photograph it I almost dropped in out of pure shock from how much color popped out! It wasn't an entirely pleasant experience. Here's how it looks in indoor lighting - the purple comes off better doesn't it?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2004/48549-Spice_Winds_of_Marrakech_Indoors.jpg

Which of course brings up tons of questions about what type of lighting paintings should be painted in.... :confused:

Hello Miss Tamana! Gold leaf scares me a little in fine art - but with some washes of color and glazing it seemed to enhance the experience of the central portion of the painting. You can't believe my relief! Te-he-he! Thanks Girl. And thanks for being around when the wee little rollercoaster got to the top of an upswing too! :D

WeiQi - Hi there! I agree on the purple too. I think in the coming weeks when the glazing process starts I will tone the outside areas down with some cobalt washes and enhance the central part with some washes in that funny French named yellow - the translucent one. It should finish up the color balance. Thanks for seeing and saying I hope to maintain the forward momentum gained here. *L*

Pearlgirl - whenever I read your intuitions I'm just flat out amazed :eek: - you always see, at least in my work, the mental rumblings behind the art. It's an astounding ability you have. Thank you for being.

Chandlerjr - *Bows* "Three times better. I want to be three times better than this. Consistently. This is merely my 15th or 16th abstract - and I've only hit it three times. Not good odds yet. Not yet. Three times better and 9 out of ten bulls eyes and the student will be ready to leave the temple. :wink2:
*Grasshopper silently leaves gliding over the rice paper with a warmed and touched heart to return to studies once again*

Mirek Sledz Funny Man - Te-he-he! My red period! Thank you Dear One. OOOps! *Looses concentration and tears the rice paper a little* :wink2:

Themanda - I am in full agreement on the purple - had to do quite the juggling act to not drop the painting when I saw it in the sun light! *L*
Your final sentence brings tears to my eyes and a tightness to my heart - I am in your debt. You honor me. Thank you deeply.

PALudeking
12-11-2004, 01:07 AM
this is a very fine painting, one of the best styles I have seen.

tURBOCAT
12-11-2004, 11:38 AM
I must be in the minority - but the purple is one of the reason the painting works for me. Remove the pruple? Nooooooooooo! :)

Do what feels right but I love the edginess.

ArtistJensen
12-11-2004, 02:24 PM
I agree on the no purple remove comment. The purples adds a nice cold contrast to the warm colors. It adds debth, drama and that little bit of confusion, of passion contra doubth, of warm and cold feelings. IMHO don't remove the purples. It functions just as the cold drinks on a hot summerday. Makes the hot day even better and the hot passions even better.

debbi_carr
12-13-2004, 03:49 PM
ooooh...i love the palette.

MountainSong
12-13-2004, 09:19 PM
PALudeking - Thank you for the compliment. :) I hope to find my way back towards this style again. It has an appeal. I even thought I was heading somewhere for a moment there.

tURBOCAT - The purple stays! Indoors it's in balance and provides containment to an otherwise explosive element.

ArtistJensen - LoL! A metaphorically lyrical description! It will get a light glaze with maybe a hint of blue just to bring the value in line with some of the other colors - it will be subtle- just a finishing touch.

Debbi_carr - Thanks Gal! Red seems to re-occur for me! *L*

:D :cool: Thank all of you with input.

muchfoolishness
12-13-2004, 10:26 PM
i dont mind that the purple is
its just how it is
everything else is pulled together
as if somehow aspects of the one thing
but then the purple sits above it
and feels all the world like some lines of purple paint
maybe thats what you want
just my discomfort
i agree it looks far more contained in the softer light
(dont we all)

wingfear
12-13-2004, 10:53 PM
Remember, the first answer is the right one. Go with your instinct, not your second guess. The purple adds electricity to the painting. It makes it come alive. In the indoor photo, the painting seems muted. I see dragons and demons, bits of arms and legs and horns, all wrestling in a sea of electrificed lava. Too nice for words to express.

-A piece of work

MountainSong
12-13-2004, 11:54 PM
*chuckle*
Alright Muchness – you’ve found me out.
It is just purple lines.

I know what you’re saying and seeing
(Its desafinado in the Spanish)
and I feel it too,
I’m just not good enough to do anything about it.
Yet.

Thanks for the honesty.
Seriously. :)

WingFear - Thank you much Fly Man. Purple is called for there - I just didn't know how to apply it. The piece will stand as is. For the moment it is the stratosphere of my abilities.

chandlerjr
12-14-2004, 12:11 AM
MountainSong,
I noticed, upon further examination, that your brush work is very sophisticated. :angel: Nice work!
Larry C.

MountainSong
12-14-2004, 01:09 AM
D*** You’re Ornery Tonight!

You just wait till I get some actual decent paintbrushes Pal!
HA!

Trade Yah. :evil: