PDA

View Full Version : WIP thread...12/8 to 12/19 bi monthly

artbabe21
12-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Hey everyone...post all your WIPs in this thread & enjoy. It will be replaced on the 20th & run til the end of the month! :) :D ;)

Tamana
12-08-2004, 08:52 PM
:clap: Whooo hoooo!!! Go Cathleen go!!! :clap:

Come on MIKEY, KATELYN & ALL!! BRING IT ON!!!

Cathleen...just curious...but why start the bi monthly thread on the 20th?

Dana Design
12-08-2004, 08:53 PM
We're waiting for your WIPs.....Show us the work!

nevadarena
12-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Hi again guys;

Looks like I'm losing my wc-posting shyness. So here's a WIP I started today. Actually, I was going to recycle this 30-36 canvas when I decided to give another go to this painting I had started last year. It was real bad so I let it go. Today, for a reason or another, I decided to give it a second try with an impressionnist treatment.

It's currently too wet to continue shadows in the face, coat and hand. But beside that, what else needs to be done to make it stunning. There is an hour-glass in the boat, which I did not paint yet. The theme is that beauty is ephemeral.

Thank you for all your good advise.

Irène

Dana Design
12-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Here are my thoughts:

What I did was extend the branches down over the boat and into the water/figure. Also, I set the headdress down onto the figure, softened the edge of the boat and softened the edge of the boat and the water.

artbabe21
12-08-2004, 09:37 PM
:clap: Whooo hoooo!!! Go Cathleen go!!! :clap:

Cathleen...just curious...but why start the bi monthly thread on the 20th?

This just wasn't me deciding this........thanks go to DanaDesign & henrik as well!

Since we're beginning late on this one, we just split the difference. Next YEAR..,can you believe THAT?????????... it will be split in half for the month!

Tamana
12-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Well we're just thankful to all of you for listening and making it happen. :)

shirleyq
12-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooray!!!!! :D

Dana Design
12-08-2004, 10:35 PM
OK! So, let's see some WIPs! Love 'em!
:D

nevadarena
12-08-2004, 10:41 PM
I've been disconnected many times. Can,t find the place where they mentionned the size of the files allowed. Just realise the picture I thought had been damaged during uploading has been modified by Dana. Sorry Dana but they wear their had the way I have on the picture, not down on the forehead.

Irene

Gilberte
12-09-2004, 02:15 AM
Thank you again for starting the thread.

Irene, looks good. It's Japanese isn't it ? I remember seeing pictures in magazines with this kind of headdresses ...

Posting my WIP later .........

LisaArt
12-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Thanks for starting the WIP thread. :clap: Thats marvelous..
I am little slow over here this morning... :D , Does this mean there will be two time frames in the month within to post WIP ?

Mikey
12-09-2004, 05:47 AM
Thanks very much for the WIP thread Cathleen, and I do appreciate the limits of resources for new forums, which may be sought after elsewhere.

I'm still waiting for the new canvas and at 4 x 5 feet won't hurry to begin. I may have to do a few studies first.

Mikey

Gilberte
12-09-2004, 09:04 AM
I have no title or palette in mind yet but I want to keep it on the loose side...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/9813-100_4034.jpg

LisaArt
12-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Gorgeous and Romantic Gilberte! Cant wait to see this.

shirleyq
12-09-2004, 09:31 AM
I have no title or palette in mind yet but I want to keep it on the loose side...

Size? Medium? :confused:
This is a great drawing. Can't wait to see the progress. :).....just noticed, take a look at her right wrist.......seems to have a bone missing.

Mikey
12-09-2004, 10:28 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the colours Gilberte.

Mikey

Frida200
12-09-2004, 10:58 AM
GILBERTE!!!!

Oooooooh, now THAT is wonderful!!! I love that sketch... the pose is incredible. And the chair... wow, really, really really WOW.
So no palette in mind yet, ey? Hum, I find it difficult sometimes to come up with a palette if it's not in my mind from the very beginning. Most of the times the whole painting is there, like a photograph, but when it's just a pose with no colors, I usually have a very hard time.
LOL, I cannot post now because I can't get pics into this computer anymore (all devices packed away), but I am having that problem right now with a WIP... maybe that's why I'm talking about that so much :D .
I'm curious to see what you come up with. So far, it's really really nice.
:clap:

Claudia

Dana Design
12-09-2004, 11:17 AM

Gilberte, this is going to be beautiful. I love the feel and ease of it. Languishing, just having finished a concert. So lovely.

(It's a good thing she's not wearing a hat or I'd attack it!) :p

Wayne Gaudon
12-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Gilberte .. loving the composition and drawing ..
I just have to do this .. I took a day off to make a painting because I've been stuck in a rut .. so I'll do the table dance for you.
2nd pic
Palette: yellow ochre/lemon yellow/cad orange/cad red m/thalo yelow-green/alz crimson, ultra marine blue/di-purple/tit and zinc white .. medium = cold wax (my version -black oil wax gamsol nap lead)
1 st pic
I premix some of the major colors .. green-blue and blue-green and a whole bunch of earth greys.
3rd Pic
I test my color on the cavas .. you should do this on a junk piece but I'm lazy so I just go for it.
4th pic
I block my main character .. probably a$$ backwards but this is how I did it today LOL

anyway .. have to go get a bite .. back later.

artbabe21
12-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Gilberte! Lovely lovely drawing! Sometimes I want to keep them like this...reminds me of the masters sketches!

HI ya Wayne (Merry Christmas, didn't get back to your thread to say this)
thanks for sharing your colors and process! Looks good already.....:)

Spyderbabe
12-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Wayne - you are much more organized in your workspace than either Tam or me!
gilberte - oh - Madamoisle in her chambers, so lovely. Waiting to see ( check her left forearm )

Gilberte
12-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Kathleen and Shirley ... wrist and forearm ... I'll check it out ... :) Shirley, it's oil and 6O x 5O cms (approx 20 x 24")

Cathleen and Dana ... thanks for peeking and commenting

Wayne, thank you for sharing your palette and the way you work. Is that Vermilion red ? I'm printing out your mixes ... Hope you enjoyed your extra day off and the table dance ... Cheers !

Claudia, how long are you going to be out of the cyberworld ? Not too long I hope. Good luck with your WIP and inspiration on the colors. You'll show it later I guess ...

Mikey and Lisa, I put in some colors this afternoon ........ arrrrggghhh ......
I think I'll need a rag to wipe it all out tomorrow or have a go at it with brutal painting knives ............ :confused:

Wayne Gaudon
12-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Happy Christmas Cath~ and all
spyderbabe, thanks .. it's only different ways of doing things so organized means nothing other than a different road travelled.
Gilberte .. no, mixtures of cad red, alz red, and yellows, greens whatever. LOL
No harm in wiping down and starting over .. that's half the fun of it.

after I blocked in the man I block in more of the water. As you can see I keep intermixing my colors but I try to stay in the same values so I mix color into the premixed blue/green and green/blues. This gives variation to the water because we all know that everything is a rainbow.
Of course every actor needs a second fiddle so I need to start getting the other actor into the play .. yea, that's it .. where the water ends .. I keep this character subdued .. I add greens and blues to my reds to mute them down because he is second fiddle and no start lets the second fiddle wear the best costume. It's in the contract you know.:D
So now I am finished with the initial layin of the main act and the secondary as well as most of the background. Next I need to start getting some of the foreground and rocks working.

Frida200
12-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Claudia, how long are you going to be out of the cyberworld ? Not too long I hope. Good luck with your WIP and inspiration on the colors. You'll show it later I guess ...

LOL...

think think think... my plane leaves here at 2:50 pm on the 16th, plus two hours early check in, plus an hour to the airport... 11 hrs flight...3 hrs from airport in Germany...

So I'll be gone for 17 hours (and maybe a few minutes - to grab a coffe and run up the stairs to the computer in my parents house...) ha ha ha !!!

:wave:

Claudia

P.S.: And yes, I'll post it later!

Gilberte
12-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Haha Wayne ......... this is a learning thread too ! Merci !
Even the paint on your palette looks like "crème au beurre, crème patissière, crème fraîche" just as in your paintings.

Claudia, on top of that you'll have to deal with the jetlag :eek:

LisaArt
12-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Have a good flight Claudia :)
Wayne, great colour mixing..You are the king of Values... :D The guy with the red jacket and hood is looking super, and the water too. I really enjoy watching this. ;)

Wayne Gaudon
12-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Again thanks and sorry for the departures .. I'm painting my hallway so I'm running upstairs and taping off casins and doors and getting it ready for the paint tomorrow .. I have to shoot out and buy more tape and the paint so this will be it till I get home.
I am not trying to teach as I am far from that position but I am adding little things for people who are starting out and can appreciate the little things. Little things like, keep a rag and wipe your brush after each stroke, don't get the paint into the ferrules of the brush, keep it high on the hair, and change your brushes as you go along.
Ok, lower water .. as the boots have a dark dark red tone I want some green in the water surrounding the boots so I make sure I add a little light green to that area of water. I do this more than just here but here is an example of using one color to push the other .. compliments push each other. A lot of the bottom water is more blue so I add some green in areas.
I change my brush with the size of the stroke I want and if an area is a warm where I have been painting cold. I finish blocking in the rocks. Would you look at the pointed shoe and I never even noticed this till I took the final shots. LOL

Gilberte
12-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Wipe the brush before each stroke ...... and you rinse them in turps in between ???????? Wayne, take another day off tomorrow pleazzzzzz ...

Wayne Gaudon
12-09-2004, 02:03 PM
then I decide I need some warms for highlites so I add cad yellow light to my palette and mix some warm yellow/orange for highlites on the rocks etc.
Then I go all over the thing adding a value here and there till I think it looks right.

Here it is .. I may still add a few highlites but I'm not sure .. it doesn't look as painterly here as the original is 22 x 28 inches on board and the picture reduces the painterly strokes. As well, the red is more of a red orange than a true red but that is the digitial. Anyway, this is close and you get the drift.

Ah, good title. "Get The Drift" as these are float fisherpeople.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/5946-fishermen.jpg

Wayne Gaudon
12-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Gilberte, I don't rinse them. I wipe them clean after each stroke in a rag. I only rinse them in spirits after I have completed the painting session. I used all but one of these brushes and that is the rag .. both sides are full of paint. I also wear rubber gloves because if I didn't that would be too much mess that could get into my inners from the paint and mediums.

I have to run but Gilberte I will check when I get home and answer anything you might ask.

later, and thanks all who have had the patience to follow this.

Gilberte
12-09-2004, 03:42 PM
I've been collecting rags since months now ..... tearing up old shirts, sheets. I need lots of them (with watercolors you only need paper kitchen towels, water and oops ...... everything is clean ... more practical I suppose). Good idea for the brush holder, thanks for posting the photo and the help.

Your painting is terrific - solitude in company - and I'm always attracted to red in paintings.
Ciao !

MarkMark
12-09-2004, 04:29 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-09-2004/46674_NYC1.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: NYC (WIP)
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40x40 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Well, this is a cross posting from WOYE. It is the central panel of a tryptch on New York City.
I felt I had ruined this one but having recetnly spent a couple of hours on this I feel its pulling together better. The photo is not the best quality. Sorry.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
comments Particularly with relation to the vendors cart, which is quite dominant but seems a bit dull. Also the pavement, which is better than before - believe me - but still needs more work.

jerryW
12-09-2004, 05:02 PM
two directions are happenning here
one is a hopper-esque simplicity delivering an elegant americana tableau
the other is a highly detailed almost naive artist's ode to new york.

1) simplyfy and go stylish and maybe timeless.
or
2) have fun with the detail and who cares what they say!

I vote for #2 at this stage in your carreer
(but really I don't know you or your carreer so - welcome to the site!)

TooLittleTime
12-09-2004, 05:06 PM
I've posted this in another thread, but I'm trying to get involved... So here is my current attempt. Still working on the man before started on the details and highlights.

Wayne Gaudon
12-09-2004, 06:53 PM
TLT .. love the concept you are playing with .. nice echo.

Wayne Gaudon
12-09-2004, 07:12 PM
I like it .. the card is dull because you have all cold colors in it .. if you add a few warms of equal value the thing will shine like metal as it will reflect a little of all .. and as Jerry says, welcome ..

artbabe21
12-09-2004, 08:00 PM
welcome to the Open Critique forum Mark....I'll be moving this over to the WIP thread...thanks! :wave:

nevadarena
12-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Dana, thank you for the suggestions. I'm currently playing with the foliage, but I'll keep the hat since it is traditional.

Wayne, I am one of the little people who is taking notes. It's great to hear
what goes thru your mind as you apply each stroke. I believe one of your secrets is one brush stroke at the time....of course with a clean brush.

I'm waiting for another one.....

irene

Tamana
12-09-2004, 11:29 PM
It's amazing what you miss in the course of a day. Wayne, wonderful instruction and ideas there! Oh and the painting's not bad either! Especially that red.

MarkMark - there's just something about that image that seems so familiar. I can't wait to see it put together with the other panels.

TooLittleTime - GREAT to see you jump in here!!! If this is going to be an indication of your other pieces, I anticipate a fantastic finish.

lolol Claudia!! Tell your parents to have the coffee ready and just grab it on the way up to save another minute!! ;)

Und Vere is yer vip?!

:cool:

Ve haf veys of makink yoo show!!!

Madame!! That pose is exquisite!!!! And so ME in my ONLY chair (that I refused to part with)....in my studio where I can (and do) just lean back like that....

Can't WAIT to see this painted!!!

Nev; Yours reminds me of one of the most beautiful poems I've ever read: "Floating".

Gilberte
12-10-2004, 01:48 AM
TLT, welcome to the Wip thread ... elegant progression ...

Mark Mark, seen it in a different thread. Good of you to share it here too. The man's foot ?????

Irene, don't forget to show how it's coming along ...

Good morning to all ....... try to paint today !

MarkMark
12-10-2004, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the help so far.. Good Idea about the cart Ill do that. The foot...lol
well it is WIP after all. He was actually wearing sandels. My ide was to leave it fairly vague but that was when all of that part of the painting was the same. Now that it is more worked I willl have to resolve this. Also I noticed his leg seems to be further forward than it should given he is slightly behind his female companion. So a few issues to resolve. Keep the advice coming its he;pful. Artbabe...Thanks I found it - obviously! Doh!

Mikey
12-10-2004, 05:32 AM
I'm still waiting for that canvas, but it's just so good to see all of you people posting WIP's.

Mikey

LisaArt
12-10-2004, 06:26 AM
I agree with Mikey, It is great to see all your WIP. Some very nice pantings going on. You have all recieved some good feedback. I am watching and learning ;)

Mikey
12-10-2004, 07:53 AM
My own WIP is still very much in my mind. It is a subject likely to unfold with time. I see it is possible for me to evoke a myth of Chinese History. I am afraid that the Chinese past has now been overun by the tourist industry and the actual people cut off from their inheritance by the previous politics. Did the majority of Chinese people have the distant past we might only imagine? It would be nice for some Chinese members to join me in discussion, or Michael who has been there.

Am I allowed to discuss this here, or should it be somewhere else?

Mikey

Gilberte
12-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Two sessions at the oil school/studio.
I think it'll need another session for the face, the hair and the bottom part ...
any suggestions or advices ?

Welcome ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2004/9813-100_4050.jpg

MIKEY ? Any paint on the big canvas yet ? Gosh don't know much about the actual China ... apart from what I read in the papers and see on the news.
China just reminds me of Pearl Buck's books :rolleyes:

Mikey
12-11-2004, 03:23 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2004/28043_Chinese_girl_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2004/28043_Chinese_girl_2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Chinese Girls - Sketches
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: A4

MY COMMENTS:
Practise aand studies for the big painting

Any comments please

Mikey

Mikey
12-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Gilberte, I'm looking forward to your finished painting.

The canvas is covered in thin colour now. It looks like wood grain. I usually like random markings and sometimes make that part of the painting. I've been doing sketches and research today. The web is truly useful: there was a fabulous Chinese Peony web site explaining the relevance of these flowers and the colours to the Chinese people.

Mikey

katelynalain
12-11-2004, 03:41 PM
hi mikey!
how exciting. these both have a wonderful fresh and loose quality and are full of life. i have no crits for the sketches, but you may want to watch out for the shape of her neck at top in the final painting. (it works and adds interest in the sketch i think..)..but who am i to talk about long necks..
beautiful girls. are the studies from life? what are you thinking about in terms of composition for the final piece?..obviously i'm anxious to see what you're ideas formulate into..

Tamana
12-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Great sketches, Mikey. The first looks young and innocent...full of inquisition and exploration. The second seems polar-opposite - wise in the knowing and accepting.

I'm getting excited for you about the "big painting!!" ;)

Tamana
12-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Looking SO forward to the start of that WIP, Mikey! :)

Madame!!! She is looking wonderful thus far -- I'd watch the viewer's left arm...seems just a tad thin in comparision to her overall structure. I really like that pose. She seems quite warmed up by you, Madame!! ;)

Mikey
12-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Tam you will see the roughest possible scribble in a few moments on the Chinese Girls - Sketches thread.

Mikey

Mikey
12-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Tam, absolutely right, and these women symbolise two aspects of China.

Katelyn, heres's a crude scribble. I always do crude scribbles. The woman in front will probably be the older of the two here. She is traditional China and may wear the Empress Robe, colours blue and violet, with gold. There are two pots of peonys, which I have read are very meaningful to the Chinese. I Peach Blossom tree willl be behind the columns. Some of the blossoms will be on the paving slabs. Farther back you can see another woman who will probably be Caucasian and maybe dressed in black, or black and red. The farthest building may be like a Chinese temple.

Maybe I should PM Michael L, and I wish there were some Chinese members to join me here.

Mikey

Edit: actual live models, now that would be nice. I saw a Chinese girl on a Rugby market stall and looked at her for a second thinking what a great subject for a portrait she would be, but both her and friend burst out laughing. She thought I was giving her the glad eye (don't we all) and it was just one fraction of a sec. :evil: So it's changed photos, or nothing at the moment.

bostonart
12-11-2004, 05:47 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2004/7169_bluewhitesoxhatmain.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2004/7169_latin1Main.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2004/7169_GStreetMain.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 3 New Paintings - Some WIPs
Dimension: Various

MY COMMENTS:
Hi All. Hope everyone is having a good Holiday Season. These are three new paintings. Sorry for the poor photos...Day was pretty overcast today and not enough light.

First is another painting of a Sox Hat. 12 x 12. Just watched the Schmid June video, so trying to use more paint, pallette knives and my new Langnickels.

Second is a WIP of my high school. Boston Latin. Oldest high school in the country. Poor pic, but you get the basic idea...

Third is a view down a big hill on Boston...still a WIP.

Any comments on the two WIPs...I feel like I always get to a point and then just "give up". I feel like they need some more work...But I usually get to this stage and just call them done...

artbabe21
12-11-2004, 05:54 PM
well done! good work! so you got to view the schmid video! lucky.....:)

I'll be moving this to the WIP thread as this forum is for final painting for critique...:)

Gilberte
12-12-2004, 02:19 AM
Mikey, scribbles or doodles, whatever as long as you excersice and warm up wrist and arm for painting or drawing purposes ...... I like the second girl portrait best ...

Bostonart, that cap is so well depicted. Almost like "ceci n'est pas une pipe"........... and basta. Wonder which way you'll go with the building and the stree scenery ...

Tam, your madame appreciates your comment a lot. I'll check out that arm, it's behind her uplifted leg but it should show the beginning of the hand I guess. Merci !

Mikey
12-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks Gilberte, I'm far from understanding the initial creative process, but when the canvas arrived was able to get things into more concrete from and research uncovered yet more things to find out. Since a lot of the info is official Chinese I have to read between the lines quite a bit. Apparently Peony blooms can be up to 8 inches wide.

Mikey

Mikey
12-12-2004, 02:50 PM
The floor for my painting has to be absolutely right, so on this occasion I did one on Draw and will scale it from the print. My first effort on the painting was way off. The depth of those squares in perspective is still a guess, and I'd need a 3d programme to do it properly.

Mikey

bostonart
12-12-2004, 03:03 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-12-2004/7169_bluewhitesoxhatmain.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-12-2004/7169_latin1Main.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-12-2004/7169_GStreetMain.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Three New Paintings - Some WIPs
Dimension: Various

MY COMMENTS:
Hi All - Happy Holidays. Here's a few new paintings ive been working on. Just watched the Schmid June video (early Christmas present to myself :) Trying to paint more with the knife and the new Langnickels.

1 - "Red Sox Hat" II 12 x 12 About three hours.

2 - "Boston Latin" 20 x 24 About 10 hours - WIP Oldest high school in the country. I think it could use some more detail.

3 - "G Street" 16 x 20 About six hours. Need to fix the size of the cars on the righht. Could use some more detail also.

Feel free to fire away...I feel like I get to points in paintings where I want to take them further, but just give up...Feel like im just fiddling at that point...

Have a great holiday season
Take care,
Tommy

bostonart
12-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Sorry - One more. A quick sketch (45min) of the wifey. That's as long as she'll sit still for me. Trying to get into the Schmid Alla Prima style... :)

Tamana
12-12-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm relating that floor to the rough sketch, Mikey. This is really going to be monumental for you!

Bostonart; I LOVE baseball hats!! :) I like the palette and interlocking design of it. :)

Will be watching for the completion of them all. :)

Madame!! Not the forearm, Madame!! The upper arm around the shoulder and down seems a bit thin. The rest looks good as far as I can tell!! She's going to be a beaut!! :)

Mikey
12-12-2004, 07:23 PM
I used the print, but it didn't look right, so I'm guessing. Projecting an original square requires an enormous piece of paper. 3D software is the best bet, but would you believe my trial version of Carrara has just gone out of date. That floor is foundational to the painting. I'm making good progress so far.

Mikey

Dhuot
12-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Here is a forehead LOL LOL :D

Frida200
12-13-2004, 01:29 AM
Oh Daniel,

I really like the composition here, and the limited palette....

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAahhahahahahah!!!

So do you have a pocket scanner now or what??? LOL ...tinytinytiny...

chelista
12-13-2004, 04:02 AM
I especially like number 3 (the streetscape): strong composition, evokes very effectively a sort of anonymous urban moment. - Guy

Wayne Gaudon
12-13-2004, 07:49 AM
all nice but I like the hat .. it just seems to be a total harmony, simple but true to itself.

Gilberte
12-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Mikey, what a job that floor ......... I couldn't paint that even if my life depended upon it ..

Daniel, show more old chap, show more ....... !

Tam, capito dear ... hope I can take care of it !

Mikey
12-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Daniel, we shall learn to be patient :cat:

Gilberte, my other problem will be the lighting, but if Rembrandt can invent his own scheme of things maybe so can I, but all the same I want this to look fairly real. A painting this size is quite a thing because it is hard to see the whole thing at once unless I move the easel to stand away. Anyway I'm confident, so no problem.

Mikey

Mikey
12-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Although I've done a number of sketches I'm obviously still finding my way on the canvas. I haven't got a proper reference for the body of the girl on the left, but am using Vitruvian proportions wwhich are for a woman 1:7 to 1:6.5. The ruler is 30 inches.

Mikey

artbabe21
12-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Hi Tommy,
Since you don't have your PMs enabled there is no way for me to get a message to you that WIPs are only allowed in the WIP thread, please read the sticky at the top of this forum...so I will move this for the 2nd time into the WIP thread.
This forum is for finished works only....thanks for your co-operation.

That's an exciting quick sketch of your wife, looks like you learned a lot from Schmid!

Gilberte
12-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Bostonart,
That's good alla prima work. I do love direct and spontaneous portraiture. I'm actually waiting for I book I ordered "Portraits from Life in 29 steps" by John Howard Sanden, recommended by WC member TruEnuff.
Good continuation !

Mikey,
Again you're off on a good start !

Mikey
12-13-2004, 04:45 PM
The left hand girl appears to have a small head, although my calculations say otherwise. I've got to lighten the tonal values on the other girl's face.

Mikey

Tamana
12-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Wow, Mikey!!! Moving on it nicely. :) this is going to be a powerful message. :)

Artistanne
12-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Mikey, this piece is going to be phenomenal!!!!

Mikey
12-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks Tam and Anne. The research I've just done quickly gives me much food for thought. I had a complete creative block for months, but now I think it's coming on stream.

Mikey

Dhuot
12-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Daniel, we shall learn to be patient :cat:

Mikey

Well, hum...............................

Ok another bit for Gilberte Mikey and Claudia

Frida200
12-13-2004, 10:01 PM
:evil: :evil: :evil:

LOL

Allo Daniel!
If you keep posting more and more like this, we'll get to see the whole thing in....... 2006?

Dhuot
12-13-2004, 10:30 PM
:evil: :evil: :evil:

LOL

Allo Daniel!
If you keep posting more and more like this, we'll get to see the whole thing in....... 2006?

I know

You should see this. The model here is so pretty. Hope I can render justice.

There is still a lot to be done. I am a bit lazy/busy, so hopefully this weekend, I can finish it !!

Gilberte
12-14-2004, 02:29 AM
Mikey, a possitively good WIP ! Nice to read you got out of that creative block. I'm not an expert as to vanishing points but in this case isn't it a bit high up in the painting (the floor I mean ... )

Daniel, she must be really pretty if you keep her that long to pose ... poor girl ! :D

Mikey
12-14-2004, 06:03 AM
Gilberte, the perspective was quite a difficult decision, although I chose the one which seemed to fall into place on my sketches. As it is you'll see the viewer would either be sitting, or down some steps, which is slightly unatural. It might be correct when the painting is hung however. What I wanted was to make the figures as large as possible on the canvas, so ordinary eye level would have been higher, or effectively using a telephoto lens with compression of space. If I did use a lower viewpoint then the figures would be much smaller, or the viewer would have to look up from the floor. So the answer might have been to cut off some lower foreground, move the frame up and place the figures at a more comfortable distance. I just couldn't see that in my mind at the time.

Mikey

haaf
12-15-2004, 04:41 AM
Mikey
do hope you will be able to keep some of those nice light colors and how ther woork together, let the light of the canvas shine trough
Caroline ;)

Mikey
12-15-2004, 07:30 AM
Hi Caroline,

I think lighting and contrast will be important here, so light colours, yes indeed. Plenty of light shining through those columns. I am naturally inclined to stay with a classical palette, but will need Magenta for some of the blossoms and may try Manganese Dioxide. There will be touches of Cerualean Blue highlight on the left robe with violet and gold.

Mikey

Mikey
12-15-2004, 11:53 AM
It is so so dark outside, but not to worry. This is just local colour going down. Gold against the red, blue and violet.

Mikey

Spyderbabe
12-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Mikey - I'm new to this WIP but I like what I see except for one thing... the doorway behind the ladies and the distant white structure are out of plumb. I know its still early in the painting but...

Frida200
12-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Mikey - good morning!

I agree about the perspective / out of plumb... it must be really hard in a painting of that size!!! But the earlier it's mentioned, the better I think... I'm sure you'll fix that! Just wanted to say that I noticed it, too.
But HEY, do I ever like those two ladies! They look so good... even better than in the sketches!!! And the clothes and colors... this will be so nice. I also like the pillars (correct word?) a lot.

I'll be watching closely - great great great Mikey!!!

Claudia

Mikey
12-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Kathleen and Claudia, thanks for pointing out the wonkyness. The wall is about half and inch out. I'll put it rright when I begin to paint that bit.

Mikey

katelynalain
12-15-2004, 03:21 PM
whoah!
there sure is a lot to work through on this thread. it's a little overwhelming to respond to everyone but i'm watching and waiting for the results. cant wait! daniel- stop teasing us!
mikey- i think one reason the woman's head at left looks a bit small is due to her eye placement. are they too close together? i dont know..just something to recheck b4 you get too far. this does seem rather monumental.. :) i have a new wip to post too. next time.

Mikey
12-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks Katelyn. I'm a wee bit out like a sixteenth, but something has to be wrong because there is too much distance on our right of her eye.

Mikey

Mikey
12-15-2004, 07:26 PM
I've taken another look at those eyes and they are too far to her right. Could have been a disaster.

Mikey

Tamana
12-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Mikey, it's really coming along beautifully!

Daniel! I thought you were just kidding at first!! :cool:

Mikey
12-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Hi Tam,

I can imagine my teacher would be now blowing me apart for not establishing the tonal values in monochrome first, but in all honesty the whole effect is only just opening up to me. It is very much understand, learn and see what happens as I go. But that is part of the excitement of this painting. Can you see the way the two girls relate to each other, well I didn't really plan that in the beginning. I'm making corrections with the long ruler because it's well nigh impossible to eyeball this correctly.

Mikey

Tamana
12-16-2004, 08:16 AM
Mikey, sometimes art has her own rules and is an unpredictable as a woman in love. :)

The relation is wonderful -- go with it.

katelynalain
12-16-2004, 01:48 PM
hi guys,
i sopose i should post my wip in the wip thread ;) . so here it is. i think that the background will not be as purple, but it may shine through as an underlayer. i'm just laying down the ideas at this point as its easier to put paint ontop of a layer of paint than it is ontop of white canvas. thoughts?

katelynalain
12-16-2004, 01:50 PM

Mikey
12-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Katelyn still of the long neck, this is looking intriguing and wonderfully creative. I often use a coloured ground to set the tone of the painting, Red Oxide making for a warm painting and so on. I believe it can help starting with the tonal values.

Mikey

Gilberte
12-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Looking terrific already. Love the purple and the "tâche de beauté". Do you look enquiring or mischievous ?

Mikey
12-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Mikey, sometimes art has her own rules and is an unpredictable as a woman in love. :)

The relation is wonderful -- go with it.

I'd love to know what is really happening in China today. Obviously it is the ordinary people who matter. At the same time the Chinese economy is growing rapidly. Their auto industry is of concern to the Japanese who are seeing the price of steel increase. The increase of cars and industry in China will also mean the need for more oil and that is of concern to the US as China seeks alliances in the Arab world. They are the worlds biggest manufacturers of phosphates for fertilisers and the continuing supply of the basic minerals is known to be of some concern.

I don't try to include these things in the painting, but prefer to research the facts and think about them. So it's let the facts soak in, them come out again through creativity. I would hope that means what I paint doesn't come from me being opionated.

Mikey

Dhuot
12-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Katelyn, You sure know how to paint and how to render a certain " intrigue " !!!!

I really like this. I would even call it done !

I SO like HER left eye ! Looks fragile

--

Her faraway plane..............Ending............

Daniel

Mikey
12-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Here's a close up of the foreground. It is a bit spoiled by the low afternoon sun.

Mikey

katelynalain
12-17-2004, 11:02 AM
hey y'all,
thanks for your comments on my wip so far. working on it again today..

Mikey-it's hard to comment on your ideas of china because there's so much to analyze. i read the new york times every morning and there's always a new take on what's going on in china almost everyday! (in business/manufacturing, modernizing, competing with india, etc.) it's growing too fast and in a blink it will be something new. painting can only capture the momentary. the idea that the knowledge you have could come across in the painting through spirit/paint or some other essence is interesting. we all have to deal with our paintings not saying everything we feel or want. i struggle with that every time. how do you convey what you mean? researching the things that interest us will expand our minds and change the way we paint for sure..but maybe never shine through completely in a painting. perhaps a series of work or a lifetime of work is the only thing that all together might show full meaning to other people. i dont know. that's why painting is so freeing and frustrating at the same time. when you feel that you have something to say and paint is the best way for you to express it, it's always a struggle to paint what you actually know. how do material facts and emotional colour combine to create understanding?
i'm not sure i know what i'm saying. but i know what i mean!! :D
anyway..i'm interested to see how you work through this issue..sorry for the loooonnnggg tangent.
ps- i want to eat that red flower on the right side.. :p

Gilberte
12-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Nice detail Mikey ... almost a painting on its own !

Katelyn are you going for a kind of collage background ?

Mikey
12-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks Gilberte, it's a shame about the light reflecting off the brushmarks on the vase.

Katelyn, Many thanks for the long reply. As you say a whole body of work is in the subject at least, so I'm not feeling inclined to push it. I think if I did the research to form strong opinions this might overide my creativity. I usually begin with my set ideas, then find other things happening to make the painting work. Or a figure just seems to have a certain kind of body language I hadn't planned at all. I began my creativity with writing and I suppose still see things with words first. I very rarely have a complete painting in my minds eye.

That flower is the forbidden Alizarin P83 straight from the tube.

Mikey

Marian
12-17-2004, 04:21 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-17-2004/49488_105-0526_IMG.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: WIP-Hearts on fire
Dimension: 12X16

MY COMMENTS:
The colors of the fall resonating with the passion in the hearts...

General feedback...what works and what doesn't...

jerryW
12-17-2004, 05:06 PM
you know
for a minute I thought it was finished and astonishing.
you could get away with hardly another stroke, or merely beefing up the colored pencil lines on a naples yellow ground

katelynalain
12-17-2004, 05:18 PM
gotta get me some of that forbidden alizarin...

Mikey
12-17-2004, 05:55 PM
It's looking good Katelyn. Is this finished now.

I've had it impressed on me that P83 is fugitive, but not apparently when it is used at higher concentrations. You can see the yellow ground showing through where it is transparent.

Mikey

Dana Design
12-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Hi, Marion,

I'm moving this to the WIP thread of Open Critique. You'll find your responses there! Lovely work, thus far.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237188

allanom
12-18-2004, 02:29 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-18-2004/4031_afterswim.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: After Swimming -- WIP
Dimension: 22 inches x 30 inches

MY COMMENTS:
From progressing 'Family Reunion' series. First figural piece.

Comments?

jerryW
12-18-2004, 05:55 AM
a huge variance in application of color
provides a shorthand with complete visual cues and delight in the human process.

woah baby!

Gilberte
12-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Marian - this looks good, excellent job on the foliage.

Katelyn - I could learn a lot from you ! Just yesterday I visited your webpages again !

Here's what I've been working on today and I'm going to post the "produit fini" in crits .....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2004/9813-100_4075.jpg

Mikey
12-18-2004, 01:10 PM
It's beginning to come together now, still only local colour.

Mikey

Wayne Gaudon
12-18-2004, 01:41 PM
certainly captured that shiver even at this early stage .. good stuff.

Gilberte
12-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Before it's going to move to the WIP thread I'll just say it looks great. Is that a swimming cap on her head ?

artbabe21
12-18-2004, 04:04 PM
allan...I'll be moving this to the WIP thread, since the forum's intention is for finished works. If you have any questions please see the sticky at the very top of the forum....thanks for your understanding.

Great start on this painting btw!!

A Few Pigments
12-18-2004, 04:06 PM
katelyn what's forbidden about alizarin? I'm using the permanent alizarin crimson from Winton and it’s perfectly good. The one from W&N is better but I’m too cheap to care at this point in my illustrious artistic endeavors…haha

jerryW
12-18-2004, 04:44 PM
can anyone speak portugues?
what is happenning to my paintings
I gave permission
but I wish I could speak portuges
http://viasapiens.blogspot.com/
then I could make some kind of deal about it.
possibly he is making up stories about
each painting and asking for feed back on
his stories.

woodguy
12-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Here is one that I just started, so we shall see where it goes! 24 x 32 Jim

Frida200
12-18-2004, 07:49 PM
I gave permission
his stories.

Hi Jerry,

check out http://www.blogger.com/start
It appears in German when I do it here (in Germany), but I suppose that's just the settings on this computer. On that page, they explain what a 'blog' is (an easy to create webpage that you can use to share your thoughts, contact other people and so on... for free). There are many different 'blogs' created by different people (see the button 'next blog'). So these guys on the blog you are asking about have a story (or short stories?) there. As far as I can see, they use your paintings as an illustration only. There is also a section in which they explain who you are and thank you for your permission.
I think they just want to share their writing, and maybe would like some feedback.

Claudia

artbabe21
12-18-2004, 08:04 PM

Jerry...go to
http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn

and put in what ever the sentence or paragraph is & it will translate it for you!

allanom
12-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Hey Catherine:

Wasn't up to speed on new protocol. Thanks for letting me know and for your kind comment.

Gilberte: You can see now that it's her wet hair :O)

Jerry: Thanks for feedback. Heading in your direction by baby steps.

Posting my progress.

Gilberte
12-19-2004, 02:47 AM
I gave permission
his stories.

Hi Jerry,
I don't speak Portuguese and don't know much about blogs yet but from what I could understand in that small left side square showing your self-portrait someone is admiring your work and wants to make it known to others .... :cool:

Gilberte
12-19-2004, 02:53 AM
Mikey, you've worked hard on it !

Alan, yes now I see it very clearly ... wet hair !

Woodguy, love the palette in this one. Is this a cooking competition for men ?
Just wondering...

Mikey
12-19-2004, 10:32 AM
I've been woking on the left side girls' face today. Still more work to do on this.

Mikey

Mikey
12-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Her left arm is still giving you problems Gilberte, but a good painting overall I think.

Mikey

Dhuot
12-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Okay, here another tiny bit of my WIP

Frida200
12-20-2004, 01:28 AM
Hey Daniel!
Nice dress...

but didn't Katelyn say you should stop teasing us?!?!?!?!?

Okay, there's a little bit more ... a hip... :D

purple is good!

princeorange
12-20-2004, 01:33 AM
wow this is a big topic ( wip )

i will try to post a work of mine, but all those `upload` things makes me go crazy

i like the hand dhuot

mikey, she looks good

i am new here so a big hello to everyone. i didn`t read everything though

Dhuot
12-20-2004, 01:44 AM
Hey Daniel!
Nice dress...

but didn't Katelyn say you should stop teasing us?!?!?!?!?

Okay, there's a little bit more ... a hip... :D

purple is good!

Ah Claudia, I`m happy to know that I`m teasing some :D HA HA HA
Well, for my WIP, I feel I should wait till it`s done. She ( the model ) dosn`t look at all at what I usually do. usually they are black-haired, and now she`s blond !! A first ! YEY :clap:

Nice dress ey ??? ..........merci

Oh Katelyn, you`re gonna have to wait....like all the others :evil:

HA HA

Princeorange, or shall I say Kingorange, welcome at WC and the OCF ( open critic forum ). You`ll meet nice people with nice art to show. :wave:

Where are you from ?? Florida ??

Gilberte
12-20-2004, 03:12 AM
Daniel :p you're really cheeky ! We'll have to wait for 2OO5 to see la femme idéale ? :cat:

Frida200
12-20-2004, 08:14 AM
Where are you from ?? Florida ??

LOL!!!

Welcome, princeorange.
What a nice name! I like orange!

Don't worry about the posting stuff... just try it out, and if it doesn't work, feel free to ask. People here are all sooo friendly, you'll get lots of help if you want. So just post your questions here, even if its not regarding a piece of art... or you can write a PM (private message) to someone (e.g. me...LOL) and get answers. There is also a weekly chat thread in which you can talk about anything - check it out, it's a lot of fun.

Or just keep looking around until you feel more comfortable... there's so much to see here! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Claudia

Spyderbabe
12-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Here is one that I just started, so we shall see where it goes! 24 x 32 Jim

Going just fine... really nice dappled colors and light

Mikey
12-20-2004, 10:17 AM
You'll be well at home here Orange. Welcome in, sit down, milk, sugar in your coffee? :D

Mikey

Spyderbabe
12-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Hey Catherine:

Wasn't up to speed on new protocol. Thanks for letting me know and for your kind comment.

Gilberte: You can see now that it's her wet hair :O)

Jerry: Thanks for feedback. Heading in your direction by baby steps.

Posting my progress.

You've captured that look little kids get when they come out of the cold water and wrap up in a towel trying to feel all snug and cozy.... wonderful expression. Like those cool ferns too

Mikey
12-20-2004, 10:26 AM
I've had to lengthen the younger girls face which makes her look a lot different. What do you think? I've had to take it slightly from the side because of the wet paint and flash. It rainy and very dull outside, darker than twighlight.

I'll do some more on it with better light.

Mikey

Frida200
12-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi Mikey,

I think she looks very good. I thought her face was a little too 'round' before, but now it's great. She looks SO much like a very good friend of mine from Canada... so now I have a very personal connection to your painting! :wink2:

Claudia

Spyderbabe
12-20-2004, 11:21 AM
I've had to lengthen the younger girls face which makes her look a lot different. What do you think? I've had to take it slightly from the side because of the wet paint and flash. It rainy and very dull outside, darker than twighlight.

I'll do some more on it with better light.

Mikey

I think you caught a beautiful wistful expression.
I'm hoping that the folks from Ground Force will come to Ohio and make me a cedar shed!

Mikey
12-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Hi Claudia, this is such good fun, because the unplanned really has happened now. With the longer head I have to lengthen her body as well which in turn means an unexplained shadow. So the whole composition of the painting changes. I think the weight of that shadow needs to be there, so maybe I'll put in a little stool, flowers or something. I had that in mind anyway.

Any comments about that are welcome.

Mikey

Claudia, is your friend Chinese, because I'm not at all sure this girl appears to be.

Mikey
12-20-2004, 01:21 PM
I think you caught a beautiful wistful expression.
I'm hoping that the folks from Ground Force will come to Ohio and make me a cedar shed!

Many thanks Kathleen. Now you really mean to say that guy Alan Titchmarsh has made his way to Ohio, and Charlie as well no doubt.

Mikey

artbabe21
12-20-2004, 01:21 PM
OOPs...I was asleep at the wheel here....the new WIP thread is located here

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237696

Audrey200
12-20-2004, 05:35 PM

Mikey
12-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Hi Claudia,

I kind of wondered who Audrey was, but it is you - great. The e-mail seems to have beat your edit, or whatever. I've just noticed her left eye is a little too low, but I'll get it right eventually. It is obviously important to make her look Chinese. So much to learn and I'm enjoying it.

Mikey

Spyderbabe
12-20-2004, 07:09 PM
Many thanks Kathleen. Now you really mean to say that guy Alan Titchmarsh has made his way to Ohio, and Charlie as well no doubt.

Mikey

We get BBC here on cable - BBC America.... I think they just show us what they think we can understand :D ( Did you notice how its the girl who does all the hard labor? And yes, they did some projects in NYC)
Also,I'm in love with Laurence from Changing Rooms.

Mikey
12-21-2004, 06:25 AM
We get BBC here on cable - BBC America.... I think they just show us what they think we can understand :D ( Did you notice how its the girl who does all the hard labor? And yes, they did some projects in NYC)
Also,I'm in love with Laurence from Changing Rooms.

Yes and Charlie loved it all, but Larry seems to have fallen out with the Irish guy and we don't see him these days. I'll see you on the chat thread.

Mikey

Tamana
12-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Mikey those faces are coming along beautifully!!! Daniel...let me guess...."R"?! :D She's a beautiful model!!