PDA

View Full Version : New Painting

katelynalain
12-08-2004, 03:12 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-08-2004/26142_fear-painting1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-08-2004/26142_fear-detail-of-face.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-08-2004/26142_fear-detail-of-swab-wc.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: New Painting
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 36x48 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Different style..'alla prima?' palette knife, and paintbrush. This painting is about a certain extreme fear that I acquired..does it make you feel uncomfortable?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
does it make you feel uncomfortable?
tell me anything and everything you think when you see this. (don't tell..but i'm still working on it..) thankS SO MUCH!

jerryW
12-08-2004, 03:33 PM
the openness of the left side is complemented by a tightness at the right
that might not be a compliment in the long run, but there are immediate rewards in looking at this.

Mikey
12-08-2004, 03:50 PM
I don't know what it's about, but the surrounding seem to suggest poverty, maybe from past times of hardship. Ther clock is significant and why have the hands apparently been repeated, but bent lower down. The rocking horse adds to the image. The man certainly is average height. So why the drink with cocktail stick. So is this background memories from the past, or what you imagine.

A by the way, but why the eyes so far up your head?

Well there you see, you've caught my interest, and the colours certainly help.

Mikey

cadman
12-08-2004, 04:07 PM
does it make you feel uncomfortable?

Yes, I suppose it does. You look tense, rigid. The effect of the picture as a whole is very on edge. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's what the painting's about. I hope you're not suffering from agoraphobia. Although I admired your paintings before, it's nice to see you experimenting with new style and technique. It looks interesting.

Mikey
12-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Now there's a thing, I'm not uncomfortable with this at all. Is that because this may be a thing I have confronted and learnt not to be afraid of?

Mikey

northcoast
12-08-2004, 04:16 PM
love this work. (+) Red on lip, shade and figure hand - nice. (-)figures left eye.

Spyderbabe
12-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Fear of speaking in public? Fear of people knowing things about you?
Cocktails? Corkscrew? Is that repeated in the mechanical drawings? A man in the past? What is that chubby floating figure?
In front of a chalkboard? Time is of the essence. Biological clock??Career vx family??

earthbot1
12-08-2004, 04:45 PM
wow! this is a real interesting work. Such a change.it works. different styles of painting...in one. kind of sampling of classic..abstract..surreal,free form...good job.

katelynalain
12-08-2004, 05:26 PM
hmmm,
thanks for all your comments guys! its medical actually..the fear or the reality..that's not a cocktail..but now i see what others see. hmm..what to do. yes. left eye bad. thank you. i'm going to re work the face as it is all from memory including color..as i think more realism should be in the face, but i think i'll leave most of the background with that unfinished and wierd feel. would that make it seem more together somehow? arghh..i dont know. ??
feel mad at painting.
:rolleyes:
(floating chubby image near my head? : reclining goddess of willendorf, illustrations at top: old medical instruments and specula, words)

jerryW
12-08-2004, 05:37 PM
I like it better on my wife's big screen.
the action seems to have moved up and to the center.
while still circulating alt left and bottom.

these issues you are dealing with.
I hope they stabilize into something
comfortably sustainable.
don't know what I'm saying now.

haaf
12-08-2004, 05:50 PM
You know ? I think it's well balanced as is
For me not everything has to be explained exactly like the painter had in mind.
I just like to look around and a story develops, for me it has to do with fertility, I see a fertility statue to the right, I like the collage feel of it, I like clocks and she looks like my old best friend since kindergarten. I just had a good time looking at it although the story doesn't convey happy times, so what? not all the books I like are comics.
Caroline ;)

Tamana
12-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Cold - like an examination room (it's the low hanging light). Reminds me of a diagnosis -- sitting rigid and waiting....dreading and hoping...the clock ticking the moments away until it's time to check the test...and then the footsteps of the doctor are heard and the truth is fixing to be revealed...

Really great for alla prima.

dornberg
12-08-2004, 11:37 PM
i like the variety in style and similarity in color

Frida200
12-08-2004, 11:37 PM
The colors are great, and I like the mixture of more and less detailed. It sure tells a story, but it does not make me feel uncomfortable... not at all. Tam has great eyes... finds everything!

Claudia

damar
12-09-2004, 12:21 AM
The "tool" to the figures upper right shoulder tells much.....aside from that, it's a striking piece of work: fear, anxiety, and conflict; you have portrayed this well.

shirleyq
12-09-2004, 03:38 AM
Wow. I've read all the comments, looked at the painting several times, Wow.
This style suits you.
Good luck with the issues that caused you to paint this in the first place. :(

LisaArt
12-09-2004, 03:51 AM
Hi Katelyn, I too, have looked many times at this painting, It sure doea have a story to tell.. I like the hazy effect in the painting, with some more detailed things, and the many objects around you. Your face does reflect fear and anxiety. Yes, this is really great for alla prima.
Yes, Tam has great eyes... finds everything as Claudia says. ;)

katelynalain
12-09-2004, 12:57 PM
hi all,
thank you for all of your comments. i find myself cringing at how much one sees and the accuracy of retelling the moment just from looking at this. i think something intended has come across. tam-how can you do that? make words like a direct translation from a painting. thanks for looking and sharing all of your reactions and kind comments guys! helps much to know what others can see.

Gilberte
12-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Compelling artwork.
For me it depicts more a question of "heart & soul", no bodily discomfort. Would she be wearing a strapless dress and drinking a coctail at the doctors ? No, he's already ten minutes late and she's expecting negative news ...

Great alla prima parts.
Katelyn ... you're definitely going to make it with your selfportraits especially !

Spyderbabe
12-09-2004, 03:28 PM
hmmm,
:
(floating chubby image near my head? : reclining goddess of willendorf,

Well! of course it is ;) ~~~~~~~~~
what's happening here is that we're all 'getting' that this is really a very personal and creative work ... original and well executed.

Dhuot
12-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Katelyn this is a very well painted work, and from memory !!??

Yes, there is such a tension in the room, I can feel that.

What caught my attention at first was the empty-hopeless look in her eyes. dramatic . Like if she had lost something....among things, time.

And the man in the doorway, doesn`t look like he knows how to react....

Now I`ve got to " critic " the painting abillity lol lol ;) ; well done, like I told you before, your last painting changed your way to " approach " your newer work.

Daniel

HRobinson
12-11-2004, 12:18 PM
If you wanted your eyes to be the focal point (?) then their placement is off.
Also, that line out of your hair looks devisive.

You have tuned into this technique masterfully. -Harry

Wayne Gaudon
12-11-2004, 01:37 PM
I think it's wonderful as is. My first impression. Girl in a bar who went out looking but is in dead fear of what the offerings might be and she doesn't want to look at the man in the door because he is number one.

Later,

katelynalain
12-11-2004, 03:15 PM
hi,
thanks gilberte, and kathleen. very nice comments. much appreciated..
daniel-very true. you were right!
harry -appreciate the crit.. in fact i'm reworking the face already but i'm not sure its getting better..so perhaps i can post it again one more time when i'm finished without having to move this one over to the wip thread..
thanks wayne..man in door number one? i'm not so sure about that! :rolleyes: :wink2:

HRobinson
12-13-2004, 11:18 AM
hi,
...in fact i'm reworking the face already but i'm not sure its getting better...

I don't know of a single person, as they find your "stuff" here, which could have any doubts about your obvious ability, so why should you? In fact, I would bet a bunch that you "workings" are actually being sought out.

:envy: -H.

Sissy Riley
12-13-2004, 11:52 AM
I spotted the knife in the drink and thought, Daytime drama... He's been looking for that everywhere. Thus, the stressed daggered hands. Then I read your version and put it all together with the OBGYN icons and then OH MY and yes, disturbing and sad. But she doesn't look effected yet. Anyway that's my take on the story. I'll leave the art critique to the experts. However I do like when a piece lets the viewer find the meaning. I guess the more obvious you are the less chance of missinterpreting what you wanted to say.

katelynalain
12-13-2004, 04:05 PM
hey all-
I've made some changes thanks to your critique. this is not a work in progress..simply posting again with made changes. this is finished.?
what do you think of face changes? still weird to you?
thanks!
harry-thanks for the compliment. i wish that were the case!
sissy-thanks for your take! i struggle with how obvious to be with my own meaning. i do want the viewer to find what they want..so i dont know.

Mikey
12-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Katelyn, I understand how you feel about your talent, and that is I think a good thing because it motivates always to do better. I think this is pretty well tremendous. One nit pick which I have a problem with is the tiny shadow under your nose, which seems to be too dark to be in keeping with the other tonal values of the face. I'm not too sure about it being blue either.

Mikey

katelynalain
12-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Oi! sorry!!! I meant to edit my previous image but i guess i didnt get to it in time. here is the final detail of the face. appologies for yet another image. was progress made?
..thanks for your help mikey.

Mikey
12-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Much better.

Mikey

Artistanne
12-13-2004, 07:37 PM
I like this a lot--does it make me feel uncomfortable? No, but I can relate to it in that I've felt like she does at times and when I did I was uncomfortable--does that make any sense? I love the colors you've chosen here, I find this piece really really interesting.

Esmeralinda
12-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Hummm! Unconfortable, maybe, maybe not !?! I think it is a good question but very personnel, depending on who you are and what you are living. I think it could be a time in your life, a period that you might have, be or will go through.

You have us thinking, analyzing, don't you ? Great painting ! Gets to you.

Linda ;)

Dhuot
12-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Katelyn , these are quite big changes !!!

And I think you even added HOPE in the eyes. Don`t you think ???

Yeah....Hope

I really like the green shadows around one eye.

Daniel

chelista
12-14-2004, 03:11 AM
IMBO (B = beginner's)... a remarkable painting in many respects, including the collage-like composition and the integration of realism and freer approaches. Thank-you for posting it here. Guy

Gilberte
12-14-2004, 08:52 AM
Katelyn,
The close-up of the face reveals details I didn't see before ..........

Beautiful, softer palette but it was super before too !

vhere
12-14-2004, 09:17 AM
I intially read that as a cocktail and therefore placed it in a bar - someone stood up? uncomfortably waiting

yes, there is an anxiety about it - I read the eyes-high-in-the-head as emphasising the chin up, dealing with anxiety/fear

I like it

I like the ambiguity of the figure in the doorway - good news? bad?

Frida200
12-15-2004, 01:24 AM
And I think you even added HOPE in the eyes. Don`t you think ???

Yeah....Hope

Hey! I thought that, too... funny.
Was that intended, Katelyn?
Hope is good. And strong!
:)

haaf
12-15-2004, 04:38 AM
yes she took a good turn !!!!
I feel good about her.
Caroline ;)

HRobinson
12-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Better. -H.

Sissy Riley
12-16-2004, 05:04 PM
I see "Did what was right for me,my body, my choice" Trying hard to convince herself, welling a little in right eye? So fresh. Reminds me of a Frida work. I admire you for painting something so personal. I'm not that trusting yet. Still painting very safe. I feel naughty when I sketch or paint a nude. People like you are pioneers. Don't forget that. I don't really know what I'm talking about ...How does that go " Don't know much about art...but I know what I like" and not satisfied with what I know, hopefully never will be. Far as I can guess you captured the moment. Sissy

chammi kaiser
12-19-2004, 06:25 PM
I see not only fear but a sadness in this painting. The figure in the background looks like a doctor with a stethoscope to me. I think you are very brave to reveal your feelings to this forum. I am sure the process was therapeutic for you. This is a gutsy rendering and very interesting. Chammi