PDA

View Full Version : Best of Hubble

scribblet
12-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Didn't know where to post this and just had to share it, its a feast for the eyes and ears. The whirlpool galaxy, would make a great background or painting for the more inspired.
http://wires.news.com.au/special/mm/030811-hubble.htm

Cheers
Kathy

artmom
12-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks, Kathy, for the wonderful link! :D

Lyn

Rod
12-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Amazingly beautiful, couldn't take my eyes off :)

Thanks,

Rod.

Starsprite
12-08-2004, 03:52 PM
That was totally awesome Scriblett (love your name by the way)..thanks for sharing it. :) :clap: :clap:

UnkyJack
12-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Great stuff! Everything I've seen from the Hubble telescope has been mind-boggling. Really puts some perspective on where we fit into the universe.

Saw a news blurb today on cable that said the Feds have just about ruled out any chance of doing upgrades to the Hubble that would keep it in service for another 20 years. The reason -- the repairs would be too expensive. (Of course, the $20 million allocated to research of navel lint in North Dakota is still on track for funding! :rolleyes: ) Sadly, the replacement for the Hubble is an infra-red telescope, which means there will be no more astounding color photos after the Hubble telescope goes dark in another couple of years. So, enjoy those awesome pics while ya can.

Jack

Yorky
12-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Terrific pictures, Kathy - thanks!

Doug

Strawberry Wine
12-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Wow. and thanks for sharing Wonderful images

Cheers,

Gail

mr sandbanx
12-09-2004, 01:19 AM
What is Hubble doing photographing Nicholas Simmons work????

LOL great stuff. I always loved astonomy and this was super.
thanks

Woodsy
12-09-2004, 06:37 AM
What an amazing collection of pictures. I wouldn't know where to start trying to paint anything like that in watercolour. Heh, it would take forever dotting in those millions of stars with masking fluid :rolleyes: . A great place for space pictures is the Astronomy Picture of the Day site (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/), see their archive.
Al.

Sylvielu
12-09-2004, 10:57 AM
It is awesome! :clap:

NHArtist6
12-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Dear All -
I read the comments on this thread with some curiosity. I, too, find the imagery awesomely beautiful and fascinating to look at. But we should not weep for Hubble. It was conceived in the late 1940's by Lyman Spitzer and was shepherded along during the decades by a series of researchers who saw it not as a creator of pretty pictures but as a tool for working astronomers around the world who needed to address a specific set of problems. And that it has certainly become. Hubble has been successful beyond our wildest dreams. Its lifetime has been extended by a risky series of maintenance operations that were speculative at best when conceived in the 1970's. Much of its technology is now twenty years old.

But Hubble is just one part of a carefully thought through plan to explore the universe in many regions of the optical spectrum. While Hubble was doing its wonderful thing a whole series of telescopes have been conceived and some of them built. Gamma Ray telescopes, X-ray telescopes, infrared survey telescopes, all have come and gone, each contributing to our storehouse of knowledge of the universe and paving the way for the next generation of larger instruments. There are more telescopes in line waiting their chance to contribute to the larger picture, and they need access to the limited monetary resources that NASA has available to it. Hubble has created so much data and raised so many questions that scientists in many other fields of astronomy are struggling to catch up. To get the whole picture we need new data in other wavelength regions just to be able to understand what Hubble told us. And work is already proceeding on a much larger version of Hubble that was first conceived by a working group that I chaired over twenty years ago.

Do not weep for Hubble. It has done its job. The glass is more than half full! It has solved many of the mysteries of the last century and created new ones for the present century. It is time to move on with the program. We did not expect Hubble to last this long. It has been a roaring success and we are very fortunate.

John Warner, PhD (Astronomy)
formerly Hubble Deputy Project Scientist and Chandra X-Ray Telescope Program Scientist (1978-1980)

scribblet
12-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Thank you very much for that insightful reply, I appreciate it.

Being a 'trekky' I had hoped to be out among the stars at Warp 10 in my lifetime :D but its not to be, so this is the closest I can get.

Scott me up beamy

Kathy

Europa
12-10-2004, 07:43 PM
WOW!!! that was fabulous!!

Pat