PDA

View Full Version : Deckle-edge ruler

wayfarer
12-08-2004, 10:22 AM
I received this info from ClearEnvelopes.com. They're introducing a new product, a deckle-edge ruler. Cheaper than what I've seen elsewhere. It's 13" long. Since this was a subject of recent discussion, thought I'd post this if anyone was interested.

ClearEnvelopes (http://www.clearenvelopes.com/list.cfm?categoryId=1&subcategoryId=RULE)

Chris

Johnnie
12-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi Chris

Thanks for the information

Personally I dont see the point of a deckled edge after all it gets hidden by a matt and frame etc.

If anyone knows what the purpose of deckled edges on Watercolor paper is for could you post it here. I would be interested to know why.

Thanks for info Chris non the less.

Johnnie

dspinks
12-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Some people float-mount their paintings with the matt opening larger than the painting so that all four edges are visible. Also, it's useful if you've used paper from a pad for, say, Christmas cards and want to deckle one or more edges for a nice effect. Myself, I usually fold and tear the paper - it gives a nicer, more irregular look than the ruler.

The ruler in this ad seems to be geared for use with regular weight, non-watercolor paper. I don't think it'd be strong enough to tear 140# or more watercolor paper. But there are stronger, longer metal rulers on the market that are more suitable for larger, heavier papers (http://www.dickblick.com/zz554/13/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=59).

Debra

laudesan
12-09-2004, 03:04 AM
What a fabulous idea....

Has anyone tried it??????????

Kate Mc
12-09-2004, 04:14 AM
Johnnie, the deckle edge of paper is a result of the paper making process, rather than a design feature. When paper is made by hand (or a hand-made type process), liquid pulp is mixed in a vat and a screen is dipped in it to form the sheets. The screen has a frame around it, and is called a deckle. The deckle edge is formed by the way the pulp settles on the screen in the confines of the frame. Some people cut the deckle edge off, and some people leave it on. Some people like the look of it, and some don't.

I hope that makes sense. I can see the process clearly, but I'm not sure I've explained it well.

Kate