PDA

View Full Version : The White Queen - finished

Mikey
12-08-2004, 09:21 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-08-2004/28043_white_queen_study_6s.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The White Queen - finished
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've used all opaque paint. I have used Bouguereau's Unfinished Painting as a reference, but made plenty of changes. This was a study for a bigger painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments please.

Mikey

Edit, the shadow left of her mouth looks wrong on the screen, but not the actual painting.

Spyderbabe
12-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Mikey - you edited in a comment tht addresses my first thought - something about the (left) corner of her mouth ~~~ so

She is lovely, but her left eye looks flater than than the right which has a shiny glow to it.
My only other crit is her blue headpiece which seems too thick and tubular to be a scarf.

Wayne Gaudon
12-08-2004, 10:36 AM
very nice
To me, the pupils are flat and the clothes need folds .. :D

shirleyq
12-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Very Serene. :)
In addition to the other crits I would add that the forehead where it meets the hair seems flat rather than rounded. Squint at it and see if you don't agree. :)

LisaArt
12-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Great work Mikey, :clap: Love the skin tone work here. The blue colour for the head piece is wonderful. I am no expert in portraits but I agree with the others comments about the left eye and head piece (few more folds yes :)
I like her lips.. ;)

Mikey
12-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks everybody, yes there a a few thing to retouch on the face now you point them out. I've managed to find another reference for her headwear, so that should be easy now.

Mikey

Gilberte
12-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Like a young Mater Dolorosa. Nice work Mikey but me too I miss an indication of folds or shadows on the scarf. Were there none in the Boogie painting ?

Tamana
12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Well you've already had critiques, most of which I noticed (the scarf etc.)...so I'll just say -- the eyes are heavenly...so full of adoration and peace.

Mikey
12-09-2004, 05:08 AM
Many thanks Gilberte and Tam, here's the link to ARC.

http://www.artrenewal.com/images/artists/b/Bouguereau_William/Bouguereau_William_Unfinished_detail.jpg

Mike

earthbot1
12-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Good Mikey! Yiou have completed in an elegant manner.

Mikey
12-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Here she is touched up and you can see the new paint on her face. The flash tends to break down the turns because of the wet paint.

Mike

LisaArt
12-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Beautiful Mikey, You did a great job with the touch ups on face and turban... :clap:
I love looking at her face, she is just so serene and listening to my Christmas music she makes me feel very happy..

Gilberte
12-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Very good fine tuning Mikey !

Mikey
12-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks Lisa and Gilberte, I've just put another touch of light blue on her head covering to bring it forward slightly. And I've put two coats of primer on that canvas.

Mikey

Frida200
12-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Hi Mikey,

may I use this to ask you what a primer is or does? Is it just a coating to... preserve the painting better, or does it actually change it in any way? And same for underpainting... as I saw on your musician...
you see, I have no clue about techniques or anything :o

Claudia

Mikey
12-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi Mikey,

may I use this to ask you what a primer is or does? Is it just a coating to... preserve the painting better, or does it actually change it in any way? And same for underpainting... as I saw on your musician...
you see, I have no clue about techniques or anything :o

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

This is a factory made canvas, ready primed. I think speaking with actual correctness the primer should be something like rabbit skin glue, on top of which the white gesso is applied. It prevents the paint from sinking into the canvas to give a paintable surface. I don't know what method the factory uses, but one suspects that some canvas manufacturers use something like household emulsion paint. I've just put another two coats of gesso down for good measure and will sand it down a bit for smoothness. Normally I wouldn't go this this amount of trouble.

If you use hardboard (Masonite) then priming becomes important to you. I've put down three coats of gesso for acrylics and find that to be quite adequate, but not so good with oils which seem to sink through. The initial glue primer would prevent that I would think. But if like me you don't have a seperate studio then this rabbit skin business is likely to be a smelly, messy business as I see it. And you might not fancy using rabbit skin glue.

Mikey

sugar tree gal
12-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Mikey, read all the crits, agree with some... but overall I love this lovely woman..so "Mary" like.... palette is fab... You do have a magic touch with women.... :) Janice

Dhuot
12-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Mikey, this is so nice.

There is a subtle way in wich you painted it that I really like a lot. Looks very delicate on the surface.......

Hope you like it

Mikey
12-11-2004, 07:11 AM
A magic touch with women Janice??? I am so naive you wouldn't believe :evil: Oh, you mean the paintings. Right, many thanks.

Are you back after having a good time in NY now Daniel? Many thanks for the compliment. I'm generally pleased with this, although maybe it would have looked better on a smoother surface.

Claudia, I'm not sure what you meant when you asked about the underpainting. I usually just draw with the brush using Burnt Sienna, or Umber, then mix that with Ultramarine to put in the blacks and darks. In the Musician's case I traced the drawing down roughly from the big tiled print, but soon abandoned the idea for what was familiar. I often use a coloured ground to add warmth and possibly wipe back with oils.

Did you see the WIP of this one?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225797
and this

Mikey

sugar tree gal
12-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Yea Right Mikey... Bet the stroke of your brush is as gentle as the stoke of your hand.... :evil: Janice

Esmeralinda
12-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Hi Mikey,

She is DIVINE. You are able to portrait sérénité and peace in this portrait. She is very lovely.

Linda :)

Mikey
12-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Absolutely Janice. :D

Thanks Linda. I like this one.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
12-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Hi Mikey,
I think you’ve surpassed yourself this time. The eyes look real and so do the colours in the skin.

Mikey
12-14-2004, 06:19 AM
Thanks Bruce. This is interesting because I used the Bougie Unfinished Painting as the basis and moved on from there. Have you seen the WIP?

BTW I bought some Magenta, so tried it with Yellow Ochre and Cremnitz for some of the to flesh layers. There is no glazing.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
12-15-2004, 02:25 AM
Yes I saw the wip. I may not always say something, but I always follow your threads mate. I want to ask you what’s in your Magenta. Do you like it better than alizarin crimson or carmine?

Mikey
12-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Bruce,

I haven't ever uses Carmine, but do have Alizarin PR83 which I understand is fugitive when used with a fair amount of white for lighter colours. I do like it. Magenta which is PR 122 Quinacridone will presumably be a lot more permanent. I don't usually think in terms of what I like is much as what is best for the ocassion. Magenta will be better for pink flowers, as Alizarin doesn't seem to make a fabulous bright pink. Michael Harding doesn't make another Quin Red. I am trying to think of way of using a lot less white. Light Lead Tin Yellow is a good one for that and can make very light greens. Flesh colours without white will be a little bit more tricky. I have got Unbleached Titanium, but count that as off-white. I always found it truly useful for flesh with acrylics.

Mikey

Michael-Ann
12-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Mikey The White Queen is heavenly! Her eyes are beautifully done, the angle you chose I am sure added to the challenge of rendering them - and you excelled, as they look positively real. I love how you picked up pinks, almost lavenders in her flesh tones as it really imparts a gentle illumination from light reflected from within the chambers of a stained-glass cathedral - a holy place for sure. I can almost hear a choir harmonizing in a hushed tones.

Mikey
12-15-2004, 11:17 AM
There has to be another side of me still at work Michael-Ann. Thanks for your kind compliments and what you think about it.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
12-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Hi Mikey,
I still have a tube of PR83 from high school and I’m using it up. I bought a tube of permanent alizarin crimson from Winton (PR177) to replace it. All I’ve ever used in acrylics is W&N permanent alizarin crimson PR177 and PV23. Funny thing is PV23 is fugitive.

The only thing I have in a Quinacridone is Liquitex ACRA Red Orange. It says on the tube it’s Quinacridone/Pyrrolopyrrol. There are no numbers on the tube to identify the pigments. I’ve found this color to be very much like a blend of permanent alizarin crimson and Carmine in oil paint.