GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rounding the Bouy
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11x15
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Disregard the top right black line. Its the space between the matte and picture.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Should the lighthouse be a different color?
Is there too much sail of the same color on the left?
Should there be more atmospheric effect on the distant land? I cann't change that now because I cann't put light over the dark.

Thanks Mark

Mikey
12-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Hi Mark, for me this is the best I've seen from you. I like the boats and the waves in particular. I'm happy with the lighthouse as it is, because it balances the other colours. For another time you might consider more variation in the water to suggest distance. The green could be less saturated, although that could be just a matter of opinion. I think the painting is working quite well as it is.

Have you seen Byron's tutorial on waves?

Mikey

Spyderbabe
12-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Hey Bryan - I dont think the lighthouse adds anything to this piece... to me its about the wind and the movement, the action.... cover the lighthouse and the focus is totally the boats.

Gilberte
12-08-2004, 01:09 PM
So much wind and action going on and the lighthouse being so near ... is the only thing that bothers me.
(To get lighter in watercolors you can always lift out some paint with a clean, slightly wet brush, at least that's how I do it :) )

jerryW
12-08-2004, 03:52 PM
I think the ocean should not be blue
the color code for things can be too strict
the movement is good

Tamana
12-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Will touch on what everyone is saying above and concur that the movement in this is great. I particularly like the blend of capps on the waves.

Osteomark
12-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Made the water greener with pthalo green.

Any better?

Thanks

Mark

Gilberte
12-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Yes, the water is better. Keep going !

jerryW
12-09-2004, 10:40 PM
yes much more true looking
color coding for objects usually fights against the flow and totality of what originally inspired the artist to paint something (unless it is a sentimental illustration of something - I say pfhweuach to sentimentality! - but I fall close sometimes).
the whole painting needs to resonate with the inspiration
if objects form that is a plus, color and movement are what makes a composition work.