PDA

View Full Version : Shingle Barn in Maine

Bstone
12-08-2004, 01:14 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-08-2004/33472_Barn_Drawing1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Shingle Barn in Maine
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 15x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a piece I am currently working on. Although it is unfinished I would appreicate any comments.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like any suggestions you might have to help me improve this drawing. I want to achieve a more realistic look. Please be honest and don't hold back from saying what you see.

bluemagoo
12-08-2004, 01:55 AM
1. find out where your light source is coming from. top left?
2. more darks, contrasts. especially in tree. look at it w eyes almost closed and it will help you see where you need more value contrasts.
nice handling of texture in building.
cant tell if the front is part of main barn.
oh i see..its in front. then id make one the the values a little diff. to separate them. looks like nice shingles.

of course, you may know all this and just have to build up your darks. dunno.
just suggestions.worth 1/2 cent.
mel

LisaArt
12-08-2004, 03:37 AM
Looks quite reaslistic to me. Great work so far. I agree with mel about the values on the front part of the barn.

Wayne Gaudon
12-08-2004, 07:34 AM
broken edges will help with realism ..
example .. the far end of the barn (viewer left) .. that edge should bleed into the sky and the edge should be the softes piece of that wall .. amost rubbed out if you know what I mean. That would push the distance and the effect of non-focus that is real to our way of visually seeing. I think the left side of the roof (viewer left) should also be visable to keep with the point of view.

Very good drawing and rendering. Looking forward to the finish.

Tamana
12-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Well there's really nothing I could add to the critiques so I'll just say that it's a great perspective and that you've captured the intrique that old barns hold....especially the lofts - that tiny window is a perfect touch.

Bstone
12-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks each of you for your comments. I will continue to check for any additional ones that might be made.

These give me a place to start with improvements. You all are the best!

Stone

Andrew Rance
12-08-2004, 12:22 PM
I would be inclined to aim for a little more variety of tone/texture in the brickwork and the woodgrain. But its a nice piece anyway and I wouldn't want you to feel you were getting 'crit overload'!

Bstone
12-08-2004, 02:44 PM
No Andrew I do not feel any overload. I am asking for this and appreciate your comments as well as others.

Bstone
12-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Here is an update of the barn. What do you suggest I do from here?

Your imput is greatly appreciated