GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Main Artery...Obfuscated
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 30 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Jerry suggested "obfuscation" so I tried. Easier said than done!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Afraid to ask....Jim

bluemagoo
12-08-2004, 01:59 AM
nice use of contrasts, complimentaries. some nice textures and colors going on.
dont understand title or meaning. but i like the colors and design.
[but then i use to illustrate maps.]

Mikey
12-08-2004, 05:51 AM
Everything seems perfectly clear and bright to me Jim, although a move towards abstraction which is very refreshing.

Mikey

rafi
12-08-2004, 06:19 AM
Your other aerial paintings in the Landscape forum are better than this one.

The perspective looks a bit off on the buildings particularly towards the bottom of the picture.

I am also a bit put off by the color contrast between the path and the surrounding grass. It looks kind of laid on.

I really like this aerial idea though (I looked at your website and I also like a lot of your other work). :) .

Wayne Gaudon
12-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi Jim,
I couldn't pronounce it let alone understand it but to me the lines on the bottom of the buildings are lines and the buildings and the grass should become one with each other, blending into the each other instead of being seperated by lines. :D IMOOC .. I think if you run over the lines with some pressure and a clean brush you could achieve the effect as long as your paint is still workable.

Tamana
12-08-2004, 07:40 AM
You've already had critiques so I'll just say wonderful perspective and GREEN!!!

Artistanne
12-08-2004, 08:29 AM
I think this is a strong piece just as it is. I like that it has one foot in the realistic world and one in the abrstract--there are so many ways you can look at this one--you can get lost in it. I think that is what makes it so interesting--so in my opinion, I wouldn't noodle around trying to get the persepctive perfect (it looks pretty close now anyway)--then it'd just be an aerial painting with perfect perspective...know what I mean??? Right now, it's the kind of painting that at first glance you might think it's purely abstract and then you do a double take and go "ah-ha!" Love your colors. BRAVO!!! :clap:

shirleyq
12-08-2004, 10:38 AM
No matter what the subject your work always has a 'Woodguy' look. All of that muted blending without mud :) Great colors and oh, yes, I agree about the blending of edges at the bottom..........started to say foreground but there isn't any :p

katelynalain
12-08-2004, 10:48 AM
hi,
great job so far.
my eye goes basically from the bottom of the canvas to the top as i follow the road. if there was something to catch my eye in the center far left..i think it would bring me back down and around the surface. looks like you're still working on this one so i'm interested to see how you finish it up. (looks like clarifying that light spot on the left side would clear that up too..)
ps-i'm liking the abstract beginings..

LisaArt
12-08-2004, 11:10 AM
You've already had critiques so I'll just say wonderful perspective and GREEN!!!

Me too.. ;)

Spyderbabe
12-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Phew - I'm glad to see its not an announcement of some terrible medical condition :angel:
good advice already..... shadow on house in middle (the one with the line-y botton) is too flat/dark but other than that I'm loving this.

Gilberte
12-08-2004, 01:13 PM
If obfuscated means obstruction then ... I see it very clearly. Could be a symbolic painting ...

Mikey
12-08-2004, 02:08 PM
If obfuscated means obstruction then ... I see it very clearly. Could be a symbolic painting ...

It means to darken, or obscure.

Mikey

jerryW
12-08-2004, 03:46 PM
as you said
so it is.
the next direction is messiness
but if you follow my input the path could lead towards a kind of wackiness.

haaf
12-08-2004, 04:59 PM
I love this detail
Caroline ;)

woodguy
12-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Thank you very much, All! This one has been a roller coaster ride for sure. So far away from what I am comfortable with, but exciting because of new possibilities. I think that I have gone to the extreme with this one (at least for me) and probably am not able to effectively take it much farther. Overall, I am not all that pleased with this: too much going on in too many different places. I tried to work a bit more cohesiveness into it but am not sure that I succeeded. But it has been a great learning experience; painting more abstactly (and doing it well) is not as easy as one might think. It requires a whole different mind set than what I am accustomed too. When this is finally dry I may take it to the saw and make it look like Caroline's crop. ( I liked that) Here is the latest:

dornberg
12-08-2004, 11:35 PM
i like the color placements