PDA

View Full Version : ****Daily Wash Wednesday December 8th****

mr sandbanx
12-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Another slow night at WC and I am trying to avoid my painting so will do this instead... start the wash.

It was a quiet week in Lake Wobegone... tried to get daughter from University yesterday and it snowed so she took the train instead. Now I have to fight for the computer for three weeks or more. Glad to have her home though.... another woman to set me straight is always a good thing according to them anyways. Benjamin will be home next week to help me even the odds.

Posted my Christmas cards three weeks early today. Pinched my finger in the mailbox. Licked the stamps until the lady said its been years since we did that anymore... when did that happen????

Christmas shopping looms. Brenda has all of hers wrapped and I have barely begun... I get all the scraps of wrapping paper by then.

Painting Rothesay Bay tonight. Poem maybe tomorry I will have to focus on that. What ever happened to Kates word o' the day??? That was good.

Glad to see Kevin was here earlier.

Thats all for me.. will check in again in the morning. Hi to everyone who comes later on.

Chris

mustcreate
12-08-2004, 12:49 AM
hello Chris and all Washerbuds to come :wave:

you are right Chris....it has been a bit slow around these parts lately....I've been meaning to comment on that fact. tis the season to rush I guess :confused:

as predicted Tuesday was a busy day.....and Wednesday appears to be just as busy. I have yet to wet my brushes this week....jitters have turned to shakes. I want to paint .... but other stuff to do :(

I finished up my shopping tonight and wrapped until my tape ran out.....it is all under the "tree". here's a pic I just snapped. now this is MY kind of tree ;)

see you later....when it really IS Wednesday for me :D

create!!

em
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/9879-palmchristmaswc.JPG

Roun2it
12-08-2004, 01:02 AM
Morning each,

I'm was going to start the wash off today, but was beat by someone conducting avoidance theropy. Come on Chris get that painting sorted, BTW what picture have you picked for the next one?

Hope all are OK, I'm still suffering, haven't got any independence yet, I can't lift or bend the leg yet and it is very painful. And what with these staples, I got 30 odd of them in the wound, it looks awful, I'm sure stitches didn't look as bad as this.

I am your typical male in recovery, lots of pain and no one has had it as bad as me!! :wink2:

Thanks for all the well wishes, and I didn't get round to painting in hospital, it didn't feel right. It took all my strength watching DVD's on the laptop.

vasilkadifeli
12-08-2004, 01:26 AM
Morning all :wave:... and hi Kev... nice to see you running for starting the wash... but you seem to be slow yet :D...

laudesan
12-08-2004, 01:35 AM
I gotta get me a laptop.. :envy:

Alan has just gone to pick the car up from the Air conditioner people. $280.00 and a new condensor later..........

Tania and co. should be nearly in Sydney (http://www.sydney.com.au/) now. She sent me txt message from Scone (http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/NSWScone.shtml) about 3 hours ago, not sure how much further it is.

They have gone down to watch Les' Nephew Pass Out..

Cute Tree Em..:)

Chris you are in a bad way.. (()) :D

Forresstt keeps jumping up to the dining room window to see if I am still here, or forgotten about his walk..:D

Hurry up Alan........... ;)

Ellen in Ont
12-08-2004, 01:40 AM
Just checking the wash before bed and I had to stop and say welcome back to Kev. :wave: Nice to see you back. Hope the pain gets under control soon. You need sleep to cope with it and heal.
:wave: to everyone after me. BBL once I have had a little sleep.

Nandie
12-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Hello everybody! :wave:

Long time, no posting! What can I say? Life gets in the way of fun stuff like WC at times!

Em - so glad to see you, GF! I really like your Christmas tree - even a palm tree looks festive with all those lights! You really are organized to have your shopping done, wrapped and under the tree already. I have not even begun to shop. I'm waiting until I get 2 portrait commissions done so I have $$ to shop with! LOL! I hope they will be finished by the end of the week.

While I'm on that subject, please C&C one of them that I just posted to the portraiture forum, tell me if I need to make any changes. Here's the link: Portrait WIP (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=235209)

Kevin, I hope you are on the mend, as well as poor Barb, whom I hear suffered a stroke. My heart goes out to both of you.

It's blizzarding here tonight, but milder weather is supposed to be on it's way so it will probably turn to rain by morning. Darn - I hate when it snows and then gets washed away right away. Such is winter in Squamish.... snow, rain, snow, rain, etc. etc. yuuuck.

I have a funny story to tell you.... since I volunteer for the RCMP, my oldest son gets "recruited" from time to time to dress up as "Safety Bear" for special events. He's a big teddy bear wearing RCMP red serge. Here's what he looks like (taken from the internet):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/14007-safetybear.jpg

The costume is like one of those football mascots... it's a huge thing that you just step into, and then stick the head on, and you see through some sort of strategically placed mesh. So he played "Safety Bear" early Monday morning at the local McDonald's where the RCMP were helping with a Christmas hamper drive, collecting food and toys for the needy for Christmas. The mayor was there, the local radio station was there broadcasting, and it was a big event. Anyway, it was very cold and my son slipped on a patch of black ice, did the splits, and his head popped off and rolled away! Small kids were screaming with laughter... the idea of "Safety" bear being clumsy was not lost on them as everyone scrambled to put him back together! He has to march as Safety Bear in the Santa Clause parade on Saturday... I hope he doesn't do a repeat performance!

Have a great day, everyone!

Faafil
12-08-2004, 02:32 AM
Hello everyone :wave:

Kev, glad to hear you're on the mend...

Chris, don't feel bad, my shopping is waaaaaay behind this year...

JJ - your elephants have lost weight :D :p (they look great!)

em, I LOVE your tree!! (wish my shopping was done, let alone the decorating) I am sooooo behind... makes me crazy...

Nandie, good to see you here...you've been missed!! congrats on the commissions!! :clap:

Hi Vasil, Hi Ellen...:wave:

We close on the duplex in AZ tomorrow - Yippeee!!! Driving over Thursday morning, and will be back on Sun evening...now all we have to do is get it rented...

Oh, and great news for Joyce (Barron) - She was juried into the California Watercolor Association National exhibition for 2005. The show will be held in April. AND, she should get her signature status in 2005 !! :D :clap: :clap: I am so happy for her, and it's well deserved!! :)

Well, gotta run, it's 11:30 and I get up for work in 6 hours !! :eek:

Have a great day all... sending 11 hugs !!

ML

Yorky
12-08-2004, 03:45 AM
Morning all :wave:

Nice to see you back, Kev - wish you a speedy recovery. 30 staples! OUCH! - it's bad enough when I get just one in my finger ;)

Chris - Duh! - wondered why these new stamps kept falling off :D So your present will be the one in kaleidoscopic wrapping paper ;)

Em - lovely tree!

Nandie - so funny! Glad to see you back - will pop over to portraits to check on your commission.

JJ They have gone down to watch Les' Nephew Pass Out..
Is he on a drinking spree? :rolleyes:

Well, the new 120Gb Linkstation network disk and print server is now up and running and I copied some 15Gb of files onto it from my old PC and laptop mostly photos, publisher and word files, which are now accessible from anywhere on the network. :clap:

Today is Ormskirk Artists' Christmas lunch at the Left Bank restaurant - can't remember what I ordered :rolleyes:

Tonight is our Christmas competition - on the theme of "A splash of colour" followed by a still life workshop.

The Subaru power steering pump was finally picked up by the carriers yesterday - at the third attempt! Luckily the weather has been OK so David has been using his TVR Chimera to go to work in.

Calm, mild morning today, high clouds under lit by the morning sun with patches of cobalt blue sky showing.

Well that's all for now, BBL

Doug

laudesan
12-08-2004, 04:01 AM
Is he on a drinking spree? :rolleyes:Doug

Airforce..........

Passing Out Parade.. :p

Lulu
12-08-2004, 04:22 AM
I am your typical male in recovery, lots of pain and no one has had it as bad as me!! :wink2:

Baby :p lol
Glad to see u back Kev:)

Have had a couple of days away, wining and dining, etc
Had to play nurse Lulu too to a girl who collapsed in front of me at the supermarket!

Got to get to bed, it's late and much to do tomorrow, but wanted to say hi:)

Nitey nite all :wave: :wave:

JudyL
12-08-2004, 04:29 AM
Good morning all, still in Shiffnal, working on the laptop, which means I need to type carefully, keyboard odd. There is another computer I could use but that one has a British keyboard and they keys are in different places, and I keep hitting the slash (/) key instead of the shift key.
I have done something to my back (pulled muscle?) and I am walking like Walter Brennen in the Real McCoys (yes, I AM old). I got some of those stick on heat pads, but I am running out, so it's back to Ben Gay.
I did get out for some sketching , and if the fog goes away I will go back with the camera, may do a bit of painting. Or, go down to the club and sit in the hot tub....ah luxury. So far every night we have had dinner in our room, sounds good, but Jack wants to watch tv while he eats.
Everybody heal! Kevin stay away from metal detectors.
BBL
JudyL

painterbear
12-08-2004, 05:05 AM
Good Morning all,

Going on 5:00 a.m. here in Ohio.

Welcome back, Kev. Bet it feels good to be back home, even if you are still having pain while all those places in your knee that were offended by the surgery heal. Take it slowly and little by little you'll feel better.

Lulu, Lucky that young lady to have you standing nearby when she collapsed. At least you were trained and knew what to do, other than call for "HELP!" as I would have probably done. :angel: Nurse Lulu to the rescue!

Had a lovely Christmas luncheon yesterday with some of my painting buddies from Nita's class. The hostess had her house decorated for the season and it was fun looking at her wonderful collection of ornaments on the tree, as well as Santa's and creches, etc. DH and I plan to put our meager decorations out this weekend.

Went to the dentist first thing yesterday morning (7:30 a.m.) because of pain on the right side of my mouth after every meal. I was afraid it was an abscess or something, but he ruled that out and said it sounds as if the muscles along that side of my face are going into spasm after being used for chewing. :confused: :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm now doing massage therapy on my face, cutting my food into tiny pieces so I don't have to chew too much, keeping my teeth separated (try THAT some time) all the time, and wondering "Why is this happening???? First my knee, now my teeth?????" (Just kidding, not really wondering that, just annoyed by it is all.) I sympathize with Kev though, for some reason, when you are having pain, it seems to take away the incentive to create a painting. At least, that is what I have found.

Enough of the pity party by me, weaving to Doug, Em, Nandie (love the story about your son and the bear costume), Chris, Ellen, Mary Lou (hope all goes smoothly at the closing), Judy, and JJ! :wave: :wave: :wave:

SYL,

Sylvia

Johnnie
12-08-2004, 07:20 AM
Hi all

Nice to see old faces back here.

Mama off today so going to go shopping for Xmas get that out of the way.

Nice to see Arnold in good shape.

===============================================

KEV,
nice to see your recovery so quick too.. My painting interest started back in 1989 when I was in hospital after major motorcycle crash. I was busted up from chest to toes and had 15 operations in one year to put me back together. Originally they were going to take my legs off but Mama/wife refused to sign papers allowing them to. They had to work at it. Half of operations were to keep them on.

Had bad burns on thigh and legs.and 600 staples put in there when the did skin grafts all around my leg. They took out 100 a day roughly till I couldnt stand it anymore. Where they took off the skin for grafts was even worse.

Anyway I started watercolor painting when I was there. Did do very good. I just flopped paint on paper. Had some weird paintings tho what with all the Morphine they were pumping into me in my Iv line. lol.. What a buzz !!!

After I got home after little more than a year in the hospital I gave up water color till I found this WC site ,almost 12 or so years later, which rejuvinated my interest in it. Now look at me painting watercolours and oils having a great old time..Nothing any good of coarse but thats ok. I have fun thats all that counts.

Good to see you back and one suggestion is get into the physio therapy as hard as you can. You dont use it you lose it is an old saying which true. Give it that extra effort and you will good as new. Thats where a lot of folks fail after an operation and wonder why it didnt work.

Good luck.

Have a good day all.

Johnnie

Starsprite
12-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Good morning Washyappletons!

I am still laughing at the thought of Nandie's son dressed as that huge bear doing the splits and his head rolling off, after slipping on the patch of ice. LOL :D Poor kid though...must have been embarassing.

I love your palm Christmas tree Em!!!! Its' very festive looking. Great idea!! We still haven't bought our tree yet. I would be happy with a small one..maybe even a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. :)

Welcome back Kev!!!! Gee that sounds painful!!! You got one knee done right? I don't know why but I was thinking you had both of them replaced at the same time...and I could not imagine how you would get around that way...perhaps a Nelsonmobile. :) Good luck and hope you recover quickly. What no painting? Lazy, lazy, lazy!! LOL :wink2:

Chris, I pity you having to share your computer with teens!!! I have been there and done that before. :eek: You didn't know that they had self adhesive stamps?? LOL Finally I know something that you didn't!!! Of course you know about it now..so we are even. :)

:wave: :wave: to everyone I missed...and those yet to come.

Have a wonderful day!! :)

Little Old Lady
12-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Greetings :wave:
Glad to see Andrea back.
Kev hope healing goes fast.
Judy can sympathize with back problem.
Sylvia hope exercise works.
Painting at nursing home today. Have 2 new ressidents that I hope will join in.
Have a good whatever.
JoAnn

Uschi
12-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!! Relatively warm and gray!

Have my ex-colleagues coming for get-together and dinner tonight so making living room presentable and do some cooking.

Just finished reading the latter part of yesterday's wash and read that Kev is back

Welcome back Kev!!!!!! Honestly very sorry you are in so much pain - zooming healing lights over there!!!

Pat, your Santa looks very cute!!!!

Em, I can tell that you have had too many vacations in the south :evil: :D Love your tree!!!!

Nandy - :D re your son's dilemma

Mary Lou, CONGRATULATIONS on your acquisition of Arizona duplex!!!! :envy: :envy:

Doug, you are making me dizzy with all those goings on

Wishing Judy and JoAnn improved backs.

Sylvia, have never heard of a chewing muscle being overworked :rolleyes: :D

Happy shopping Johnnie!

and :wave: HI! to everyone, and sending good thoughts!!!
Uschi

painterbear
12-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Uschi,
I never even knew there were muscles there! Evidently they attach to the gums around where the tips of the roots from the teeth are located in your mouth, hence the teeth hurting after using those muscles. Guess it beats needing a root canal because of an abscess, right.

Johnnie,
Sounds as if you were lucky to be alive after that motorcycle accident with all those injuries. I'm glad they were able to patch you up and you had "Mama" there to stick to her guns for you.

JoAnne, Good luck with the new residents. Maybe when they see the others having fun painting their Christmas cards, they'll want to join in too.

Hi Patti and AWAYTC!

SYL,

Sylvia

Ellen in Ont
12-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Hi everyone :wave:
Busy day here in the wash already. I don't have time to reply to everyone right now. Hope everyone in pain gets it under control real soon. Nothing is all consuming as pain. Drives away all other thoughts (including creative ones). Do whatever you can to get comfortable. :)
This is the start of my very busy week so you might not hear from me for a while. I will try and at least read the wash daily but I don't know if there will be time. Tonight is the cystic fibrosis auction where I am donating my snowman painting. That will be great fun. I also have all the cooking to do for the party here tomorrow for our local art club as well as a meeting at work and grocery shopping. At least the house has been cleaned top to bottom now. :rolleyes: Friday I am having the xmas party for the ICU staff from work. Sat I go to a cocktail party at a friends. Sunday is the xmas brunch for the staff where DH works as well as the opening at the museum of our art club's annual show.
Then, I can finally relax and enjoy the season with everything done.
Hope to be back later. TTFN

JudyL
12-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Hi again, been very quiet today here. I did go out and took some pictures. There is one place that I find interesting. Looks like a brick tunnel, and it's filled with rubbish, I guess it may have been used to store coal at one time. I will try and remember to post it when I get home.
I think I will take the 10 minute walk to the bus and go shopping again tomorrow. I saw Il Divo on the Des and Mel show today, their first record went platinum, and they aren't in the States yet. I need to go get there cd for my sister for Christmas, 4 dark haired young men who sing like that? She'll love it! I did try a little color sketch, but something about painting on a mahogany desk with a leather top, makes me nervous. And it was a bit icky to paint outside. Besides the groundkeepers look at me funny, could it be my choice of painting? their rubbish tip? why not!
We are here till Friday, then home. I will be glad to get home.
Oh well, later

JudyL

pampe
12-08-2004, 10:44 AM
HAppy Wednesday, washers and washerettes!

PLEASE, if you have not already....go and add a message for SCOTT as he leaves WC....it will all be printed into a book for him:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234781

Shopped all afternoon yesterday with a friend for the family we adopted....SO MUCH FUN...we got the kids EVERYTHING on their list and nice things for MOM and DAD also....I will do the food the week before Christmas. We collected more than we expected....so we were able to go crazy! HO FUN!!!

Hap has to go to Las Vegas in January to speak at a conference so I am going to combine a trip to see Mom in Phoenix with a stop in Vegas...anyone wanna meet?????

COLD and SNOWING....winter storm warning at our level...so I guess it is WINTER for real.

GOOD to see you, ANDREA!!!

JoA....feeling better?

Have a great day

droll13
12-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Hi all,

Haven't been able to participate much here the last few days, but I've lurked and followed the events you all share with us.

I've finally worked out my printer problems (flat areas of color weren't printing flat, but came out mottled or puddled). It turns out that other papers (different from the 4 or 5 I tried) worked much better.

I'm working on the code for my website offering photo prints for sale. Have to figure out how to price them. If some of you have experience selling prints, I'd love to pick your brains.

Here are 3 recent photos, none digitally manipulated (although I can see where some enhancements would improve them):

1) Sunset, 12/6, from Bolsa Chica Wetlands Ecological Preserve
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/23514-P1000985.jpg

2) Sunrise, 12/7, from my neighborhood park
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/23514-P1010019.jpg

3) Another "Picnic Table Macro", 12/7, from the same park
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/23514-P1010043.jpg

Hope it is, was, or will be a great day for you all.

TTFN

jaytee
12-08-2004, 01:46 PM
HI friends :wave:

Im all behind with the wash again... but very pleased to see some some old familiar faces who've been AWOL for whatever reason, putting in a reappearance........ special :wave: for them

Came to the conclusion this morning that its not that time going faster, its me going slower.........!!!

I wanted to send my Seasons Greetings to you all via my Christmas Candle I did for the RoundBin challenge.........please do visit the special thread here in the general forum
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235307
and download yourself a card from me ....... and the Warm Wishes and White Light that go with it. Im sincerely hoping , whatever 2004 has been like for you and yours, 2005 will be better.

:D re Andreas son slipping. ..........and Kev....... dont know about not going near an Xray machine........ personally Id stay away from Magnets :evil: ((hugs)) to Chris ( no not you Sandbanx) she's'clearly going to need them with the poorly Kev to deal with :evil:

need to farage for food abd switch te hearing on. its amazingly mild for decemer but gets chilly at night.......

will return to the forum later and try and catchup on the washes !!

Oh and Sylvia......... Im not getting Emails from WC subscribed threads either...... just for pms !! But perhaps youve all been discussing that and Ive missed it...........

madmum
12-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi everyone! :wave:

I've been busy lurking again, in between various appointments with the kids (orthodontist - fortunately free to schoolkids in the UK or I would have a bill for thousands as all 3 kids needed/will need braces), and a sick hubby (he had 2 days off work, which meant I had to pretend to be a good wife for a while ;) :evil: lol)

LOL @ Andrea's son (btw great to see you!!!!!! :clap: )

Welcome back Kev!!!!! Take care of your knee, staples might look worse than stitches but they stay put alot better, and ultimately mean a tidier scar:)

Dave, more gorgeous photos! :clap: The sunset is simply perfect, with the single bank of diagonal cloud.

JT I'm counting on you sending me a card, as I'm having a terrible time trying to print my own and I'm running out of posting days :( I just can't get the print aligned correctly for some reason :mad:

(((((((((Sylvia)))))))) - pain in the mouth is possibly one of the most depressing pains we can suffer. Is it possible that you're grinding your teeth in your sleep?

Pam, would you like to adopt my family? ;) :evil: Seriously, that's a wonderful thing you're doing :angel:

Em, your tree is unique! Actually that would fit into my house much better than the traditional fir tree....... :wink2:

Big hugs to all, and white light to all those who could use some help. Thinking of absent friends, too.

Ruth

laudesan
12-08-2004, 08:46 PM
:wave: everyone. Morning has slipped away from me, I have been putting up my Artworks in the www.trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/show_member_listings.asp?member=632990) site..

With Lulu's help it is all done..:)

Now must wash hair, get dressed. :D and run down to the Framing Warehouse and set up my account so I can buy Mattboard for my future paintings.

Must go to Bunnings (http://www.bunnings.com.au/site/) too and get some shrink wrap and a hot air gun..

bbl

Huggles to all who are hurting,

((((sore backs))))

CharM
12-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone... popping in for a few seconds to say "hi"... This old gal is tired tonight and I'm taking myself off to bed...

I've read the Wash and :wave: to all of you...

...good to see you here Nandie!!!

Sending good thoughts to all... have a great night, morning... whatever... :D

Faafil
12-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Must go to Bunnings (http://www.bunnings.com.au/site/) too and get some shrink wrap and a hot air gun..

I'm jealous JJ !! I checked into a shrinkwrapper, and it was kinda pricey !!

Well, this is how my day went today:

Borrowed a car from work for our trip to AZ - empty gas tank :(
The Sirius stock I bought the other day - tanked today :eek: :eek: (financial wizard I am) :rolleyes:
The closing on the duplex - didn't close today :crying: Seems the sellers haven't returned all the documents to the escrow company :mad: ; we're in escrow limbo right now - wahhhhhhhhh

Sooooo, now we've put off our trip until we hear from the agents.

I got my hair cut after work - she did a beautiful job!! :D BUT, my hairdresser of 12 years is moving to Georgia !! :(

I haven't poured myself a scotch in a long time - but that's what I'm going to do... :p

Have a great evening/day/whatever....

11 hugs !!

ML

laudesan
12-09-2004, 01:17 AM
11 Hugs back ML..

Here is my day so far........

Went to Bunning, they don't sell shrink wrap at all..

Their supplier tried to sell me palette wrap which is like glad wrap and when I told him it was totally wrong for what i wanted to do he got a bit funny.

Went to set up account with wholesale framing supplies. Went well, takes 2 weeks to go thru' but she sold us our stuff anyway..

I have to sift thru a catalogue and pick out 30 frames that I would like elbows of.. :rolleyes: then fax it thru' to her. .....later......

Went to Chemist to ask woman their (Brenda) where she got ehr shrink wrap from again, and she rang her supplier.. Cool they will sell it to me for around 100.00 a roll, and they have a shrink wrap heat machine for 200.00. thinking about that one as we bought the heat gun from Bunnings for 40.00 it will do, it is what the Chemist uses..

Quarter past 4..pm

Got to move ourselves, take the dogs for a walk and get ready to go to the Carina Leagues Club for dinner at 6.45pm.

That is I can find the invites...........:rolleyes: :(

Later......