PDA

View Full Version : 2 new: "hudson twin trees" & "5th Ave in Harlem at

futurebird
12-07-2004, 10:50 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-07-2004/11505_timesharlem.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-07-2004/11505_hudsontwins.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 2 new: "hudson twin trees" & "5th Ave in Harlem at
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 17
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
These are my two newest works. Just looking for feedback.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Are trees to tame for me to paint?

I'm going for some serious realism-- what should I work on next?

Spyderbabe
12-07-2004, 11:19 PM
(HI! Love the new avatar!)
Trees are terrific...they seem drawn to each other and yet pull away at the same time..

bluemagoo
12-08-2004, 01:41 AM
very verry nice. i think your trees have life.they are talking.
good sense of light and
shadows.

I think the first one is very nice also. nighttime is hard but you've captured it with the values. the red in the middle of road. ? traffic lights?
what paper are you using?
paper makes a big difference.

keep it up! good work.
mel

LisaArt
12-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Hi Bird, Like the new avatar too. Good to see you.
I really like the first one. The lights and the pink in the far distance. Nice colouring of the black. Well done. I also love your trees. Very nice indeed. :clap: I like this style, the trees and atmosphere really draw me in. Very calm feeling to this. Like an early morning with no one around.

Mikey
12-08-2004, 04:36 AM
The first painting of Harlem is good, no doubt, but with the landscape you have moved on with creativity so as to make a possibly banal subject absolutely wonderful. I can say this really is a painting this is art.

Mikey

Wayne Gaudon
12-08-2004, 07:30 AM
really like the coloring on #2 .. the tops of the trees could be less pronounced and fade into the skylight .. I feel softer edges on the upper and outside brances and tips would add to the realism.

Tamana
12-08-2004, 07:44 AM
I think they're both wonderful...I like the periodic storefront lighting of the first and the ambiance it produces of a downtown waking up.

On the second one the lighting gets me right between the heart of those trees.

Are trees too tame to paint?

People have no idea the energy possessed and given by a tree...
I feel you've captured some of that in the painting quite well.

katelynalain
12-08-2004, 10:41 AM
wow..looking good!
the light and shadows are fabulous. trees are not boring. your realism is leaning toward Wyeth on the tree painting..you could take a look at the subtle colors he incorporates into his paintings..

Gilberte
12-08-2004, 01:27 PM
The cityscape gets my vote. Going that dark in watercolor isn't that easy ...
As to the trees I'm (personally) less enthusiastic. It reminds me of condolence card scenery ...
What to paint next ? Same question on this side of the screen :cool:

jerryW
12-08-2004, 03:49 PM
great work in light and dark
and 2 for the price of 1
a bargain.
like the way the trees open up to the top
love the way the lights of city cluster and vibrate especially that car lower left.