PDA

View Full Version : grain elevator in Fraser, Montana II

Londondeon
12-07-2004, 12:56 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-07-2004/44933_WC_grain_elevators,_Fraser_Mt.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: grain elevator in Fraser, Montana II
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the second of two from this town in Montana. The first posted a few weeks ago was from the side where the trucks deliver the grain. This is from the side where the trains haul the grain away. Late day in the freezing winter. The snow is carved by the wind and hard as a rock. Not too much train activity at this time of year. Town of about 300 people

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does it look like snow? Does it feel cold? Does the single point perspective work?

Wayne Gaudon
12-07-2004, 01:40 PM
works very well .. very inviting for a walk in the snow .. cold but sunny .. always nice .. blues are high in key but still believable.

Gilberte
12-07-2004, 01:43 PM
I imagine the Montana sky like this ... pure and clear and healthy.
Yes, the snow looks real, very real.

SORRY, can't find anything to nitpick on. It just is a real good painting.

Frida200
12-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Oh, I remember the other one! When I saw this one, I thought " It looks like the one that was posted a few weeks ago, just from the other side..."
LOL
The light is wonderful. I really like the little slope in the front, left... great colors for the snow. But cold.............. :)

Claudia

Spyderbabe
12-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Oh yes you captured cold ok. and windswept!
I left this on the monitor and from across the room I noticed that the side of the tall building that faces us might be done a bit lighter in value for more impact. It seems to have some reflected yellow on it now. But if it were as light as the far silo ? ?

Frida200
12-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi Cathleen,
yes, i thought so, too... but then again, that far silo is round, which is why more light gets around to where we can see it, whereas the tall building isn't, and all the light stays on the side we can't see.
But i agree, I had the same feeling... yet my head told me it's right the way it is.
Is there a reference pic maybe???

earthbot1
12-07-2004, 04:31 PM
works great...brilliant blues!

Londondeon
12-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the good comments.

I had the wall of the closer grain elevator lighter and my spouse pointed out that the shadows of the railroad tracks indicate that the sun is soming from the southwest. The tracks run east and west, therefore the wall would be in shadow. Only the round grainaries would have sunshine wrapping around.
I know it still seems like it should be light to me, but it is darker in the reference photo with bounced light off the metal grainary to this side of it.

If I lighten it, someone will see the direction of the shadows and say it is wrong that way.

Thanks again
Londondeon

Quiet
12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Youíve captured the cold, hard snow well. Brr. Now Iím cold.

Generally I would warn people against using one-point perspective because it is so easy to end up with a bulls-eye of a composition, but youíve wrangled a good composition out of it.

Dang, I love those shadows! And the light, way off down there on the snow and trees. I feel like Iím really there.

Unfortunately, the perspective on those silos is wrong, unless they are all sagging in exactly the same way. If they are supposed to be perfectly cylindrical, then the near edges of the eves on those things should arc upward, not down. The lines which indicate the horizontal slices of those cylinders should be straight lines at the horizon, and then curved more and more downward as they go towards the ground, and curved more and more upwards as they go towards the sky.

Iím not sure that the composition is helped by all of the perfectly horizontal brush-marks across the sky. That part, in comparison with the wonderful things happening on the ground, is flat and dead. But the near left-hand corner I could reach out and touch!

Dana Design
12-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Oh, my! I've seen this! Many times in Colorado. This is a wonderful landscape. I see nothing wrong with the shadow. It's cold and blowing and desolate.

Love the blues but I don't want to dissect this. The grain elevators are real, the snow is real, the tracks, rusty and narrow, real.

The best! And I'd like to own this!

Mikey
12-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Beautiful use of blue and warm colours.

Mikey

Andrew Rance
12-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Conveys the biting cold very effectively. The bottom half of the picture works best for me - I think the blue needs just a tiny bit of variation of hue (in the sky??).

Tamana
12-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Yes; cold snow. ;)

Love those blue-ice shadows which emphasize it even more.

artbabe21
12-08-2004, 06:44 PM
I imagine the Montana sky like this ... pure and clear and healthy.

Yes, we get skies like this at times but we are know for our huge gorgeous billowy clouds in Big Sky country!

Spectacular painting, yes, icy cold......I know many grain elevators in Bozeman! :)

bloodjelly
12-08-2004, 07:30 PM
The subtle variations of color in the snow and shadows are great, and the small touches of the telephone poles and far-away trees give the painting depth. I think the railroad tracks on the right are a little too "neat", though, and solid. Maybe a few snow drifts on the sides might make their diagonal lines a bit more subdued? Nice painting :) It definitely feels cold and I think the 1-point perspective works well for the subject.