PDA

View Full Version : Quick portrait Sketches

Mikey
12-07-2004, 07:52 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-07-2004/28043_chinese-sketch-1a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-07-2004/28043_chinese-sketch-2a.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Quick portrait Sketches
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: A4
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've done these sketches as quickly as possible with a 6B graphite stick. The chin may not be quite right, or an eye out of line, but that doesn't really matter to me. I haven't corrected anthing you can't see.

I am trying to improve my eye and hand coordination, training myself for more accuracy.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments which will help me improve overall. The answer I give myself is do another hundred or more. If that doesn't leave you much to say, then just say it.

Mikey

LisaArt
12-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Mikey, Hey they are all very good for quickies. My fav is the 3rd one clock wise (1st bottom left). I feel like in this one you captured her spirit. She has some sorrow in her eyes, she has a story to tell..

Tamana
12-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Well done for quick quick - reveals a lot. I notice that all the viewer's left eyes are up and angulated. Isn't it odd how repetitive we can be without realizing it? I too like the bottom viewer's left very much. :)

earthbot1
12-07-2004, 08:38 AM
I like these Mikey...a good exercise between paintings. bottom left is my fav.

Wayne Gaudon
12-07-2004, 08:58 AM
bottom right is my fave .. lots of attitude
.. if we wait till we can do it perfectly we will never start. Great exercise.

Mikey
12-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Lisa, Tam, Asimo and Wayne, many thanks for your comments and encouragement. I'll be doing some more of these. I've hardly used a pencil for years, let alone a blunt graphite stick. I think the stick makes me seek for more accuracy in a better kind of way somehow.

Mikey

Gilberte
12-07-2004, 01:51 PM
These are superior Mikey.
For me it's the bottom right one ... Keep going !

Mikey
12-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Thanks Gilberte, here's one I did a few days ago, but I've just darkened the background and face modelling.

Mikey

Gilberte
12-08-2004, 03:01 AM
Is that Zhou again ? Nice ... but ......I think I like the first four best. There's less detail and have a more overall spontaneous mood.

HRobinson
12-13-2004, 11:40 AM
I enjoyed the "rawness" of that top right one. Were these done in one session?

-Harry

Mikey
12-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Not Zhou this time Gilberte.

Hi Harry, yes one session for the four sketches, the same reference for three.

Mikey

vhere
12-14-2004, 09:23 AM
I too like the bottom right best with the bottom left a close second.

Why not try charcoal? I feel it would suit you and allow blocks of tone as well as more linear tone. Charcoal is such a beautiful painterly medium,

Mikey
12-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi Vivien. Thanks for dropping in. I don't even normally use pencil, even for drawing a painting. But I may try charcoal for sketches such as these which are only in preparation for painting. I am not interested in graphite as a medium in itself.

Mikey

vhere
12-14-2004, 10:17 AM
I like the one on the bottom right best as well, closely followed bythe one on the bottom left. They really catch her character

Do you ever use charcoal? I think it might suit you - lovely for blocks of tone rather than linear tone and capable of incredible subtlety

Mikey
12-14-2004, 10:26 AM
I've used charcoal to do the basic drawing for my latest painting. To be strictly practical I can rub it out. Since I found the graphite stick useful for the looseness and freedom of the strokes, charcoal may well offer me even more. However, I'm not sure I'm going to spend lot's time time with it. I much prefer the brushes and colour.

Mikey

Michael-Ann
12-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks Gilberte, here's one I did a few days ago, but I've just darkened the background and face modelling.

Mikey, I love her far-away eyes, and the perspective in this follow-up one of yours...they are all wonderful, they whisper of your fondness for them.

Mikey
12-15-2004, 07:46 AM
Mikey, I love her far-away eyes, and the perspective in this follow-up one of yours...they are all wonderful, they whisper of your fondness for them.

Thanks Michael-Ann. I hope to keep these qualities in the big painting in the WIPs thread. My oil brush is becoming more confident now, so I can paint quicker and expect therefore to be more free.

It seems very strange to have any degree of affection for what is really a figment rather than a real woman in this case, but this does give me the passion so necessary to paint.

Mikey

Diyart
12-15-2004, 08:25 AM
Hello Mikey

very impressive drawings ! may be I missed something,but I would like to know whether they are drawn from life or not.
I always felt that drawing from life is a kind of turbo loader for painting.
Also I feel much more freedom in drawing than in painting..of course one could discuss specific aspects of your drawings to improve likeness.. but this
I think will come with more practise anyway.. the most interesting thing in a drawing is for me to see the individual way of solution. A drawing is almost a visible picture of the thinking/looking process of the artist.

the use of:
soft..hard lines, thin.. fat .. dark light etc....
follwing the form or hatching against the form, mass drawing versus lines ..
it is just endless reveals a lot about the artist

Finally I find your drawings interesting because they are NOT the attempt to do a black and white photocopy !

Martin

Mikey
12-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Martin, yes I'd love to try drawing from life, but these are from two photos. I think the quickness and lack of concern about the result does allow more freedom for creativity. You can see the actual painting in the OC WIP thread.

Mikey