MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-06-2004/52307_flamingo.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Flamingo
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: umm small
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
This painting i did for an art class. i think my teacher tried to help me and kindof messed up the trees. This was my very first watercolor and i gave it away to someone who was very special to me and liked flamingos.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I dont know if its too busy or it could have been simpler. Im not sure. I would like some comments so i can do better next time i try. I love drawing animals and i would like to know what animals are maybe best to try out first to give me a feel for feathers, fur, and scales.

Frida200
12-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Hi again!

I don't think it's too busy. But maybe I would have moved the flamingo out of the center of the painting a little more.
Also, do you see the difference between the way you painted the shadows in the upper left corner and the rest of the painting? I am not a watercolor person, and I think it's just too different styles both of which are very nice, yet in one painting, I would not mix them. Personally, I really like the sharp strong shadows of that upper corner. Wow.

Claudia

Tamana
12-06-2004, 09:31 PM
*Agrees with Claudia* :evil:

I really like the way you use pink and green....Trisha - one of my favorite combos, indeed. :cool:

katelynalain
12-06-2004, 11:05 PM
hey there tricia..(i mean anonymous..),
great for your very first watercolor! i agree that some of those stronger shadows could have been pulled out in the rest of the piece, but on to the next painting! you could try copying some close up shots of lizards, or fish, and furry animals..and look closely to see what colors make up the shadows and what the lines look like to create and mimic the textures of those creatures. but explore and experiment. that's all. i'm not worried about you being able to do it..just keep painting. have fun!

chammi kaiser
12-07-2004, 04:24 AM
Hi there Anonymous,
Why be Anonymous when this is only your first watercolour. I feel you tackled an awfully difficult subject for a first painting. However, the fact that you posted it for feedback is a huge step to improvement. Your colours are harmonius and I like them. As you become more experienced you will discover the wonderful world of light and shade . Watercolour is an exciting and sometimes unpredictable medium and I wish you much joy with it. Chammi .
PS Don't let your teacher 'fiddle' with your paintings. Ask him or her politely to demonstrate on a separate piece of paper. Keep going and have fun. :wave:

Gilberte
12-07-2004, 04:49 AM
Hi Tricia ... says the signature.

We were all beginners once so don't be disappointed and continue to enjoy watercolors. I agree that the flamingo is a bit too central and my attention is mostly drawn to the green foliage making the painting top heavy. Try to lift out some paint so the foliage can breath and repeat some of the green at the bottom or the side ?
Just suggesting ...