PDA

View Full Version : No title, just Ed

james.bishop
12-06-2004, 03:39 PM
No title, just Ed, a little practice piece, oil on paper, 40x50cm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2004/766-Ed.jpg

Based on a self-portrait by Edward Hopper, though folks tell me it's become more my own self-portrait than anything else :p

james.bishop
12-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Silly me, it's acrylics, not oils.

Here's a closer look...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2004/766-Ed-detail-tie.jpg

james.bishop
12-06-2004, 03:43 PM
Hmm, that second photo looks a bit dark.

Anyway, one more:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2004/766-Ed-detail-eyes.jpg

artbyjune
12-06-2004, 05:19 PM
I like this. Great facial expression. Contrast of lights and darks very interesting with movement. ;)

Tamana
12-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Wow, James!! Great to see you back! :clap:

This is quite a departure for you and yet....not. I really like how you've played the palette into the design as reflectors here - especially that blue of iris pulling in the shirt and that dot of pupil pulling in the reds and that tie pulling down and centering the face...the red in the background is fantastical and the balance spot on. Great placement.

Glad you found time to paint with all the commuting.

MountainSong
12-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Good lighting - well done. The eyes are very Alive. :D

mame
12-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Lookin good, james :)

SanDL
12-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Bonjour Monsieur!
Looks like a happy Hopper. :D

ArtistJensen
12-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Good work.
Nice expression.
Well balanced composition.
Colorpalette works very well, you got well working:
- Warm/cold contrast
- Contrast between neutral/saturated colors (saturation contrast)
- Light/dark (value) contrast

PALudeking
12-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Thats really great ( me and Ed are going to coffee after this, man he really knows the best places in town for a cup of java :) ) you know how to paint thats for sure!

james.bishop
12-08-2004, 01:08 AM
:D Thanks everyone! I don't get to paint as much as I'd like these days, so every little accomplishment needs to be celebrated! :p

June, thanks for your comments, one of the aims of this study was to "dare" more constrast.

Tam, good to see you. Yes a new departure, it felt like time to begin to break my own rules. Just a bit.

MountainSong, glad you liked the eyes. I'm not entirely happy with them, but decided I didn't want to fiddle around on this painting, it was time to move on.

Mame, thanks for dropping by, good to see you :)

SanDL, bonjour yourself, good to see you too. :D

ArtistJensen, thanks for your input. The composition is largely due to the original Hopper, I can hardly take credit there, but I'm pleased to see my work on contrasts is working - although I was only consciously working on light/dark, so thank you for highlighting some other ways of looking at it, makes me see the painting a litle differently now and gives me something to think about for the next. :)

And thanks too to PALudeking, think I'll join you for that coffee! :p