PDA

View Full Version : Wordplay

Fylia
12-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Hello everyone,

The current assignment in comics class is to illustrate words.
The trick is to "misinterprete" words, or take them to literally.

For example, you could, for the word, eyecatcher, really draw somebody that catches eyes... or make an eyecatching girl catch eyes...

It's the first assignment were we're allowed to use color and is actually an exercise on using color to create a mood.

This is the first one I've finished... I've got 2 more coming....
unfortunately... the words are dutch... and since this is a wordplay.. it's sometimes hard to translate...

This is about the word "KWAKZALVER" or in English: "Quack-salver"
(I'm not really sure that's correct English)... but it means "a quack" (louzy, not to trust doctor)...

Anyway... for those that speakdutch... the illustration should explain itself.

Done in acrylics, size 17 by 20 cm...

Any comments? Possible corrections? Remarks? Things to improve?

Hope you like it

Sofie.

Quiet
12-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Itís cute. It solves the assignment, it is a lovely collection of greens, and it has a duck.

Having been through an illustration program myself, I have one question for you, which is a question that I wish I had been asked more frequently in college. In addition to satisfying the assignment, does this picture also satisfy you artistically?

Cheers. . .

LarrySeiler
12-06-2004, 07:13 PM
as a comic, it does not have to be realistic...but since you've made an attempt to place a shadow on the floor to give solidity to the desk, I'd suggest that the side of the desk facing more of the light be a tad lighter in value to support that shadow.

Also...as long as the light is shining, that crease in the desk tops fabric might want to be more suggested, more obscure...not as dark as the edge of the desk.

...overall, interesting.

Larry

AFM159
12-06-2004, 10:19 PM
lol - I chuckled when I saw it, so the humor is there. Larry's comments are on the money as far as the rendering is concerned. Strengthening the lighting would strengthen the composition.

You might want to give some more thought about the mood you are trying to convey. As it is now, your cartoon would work just as well as in black and white. So, for instance, you might want to look at using a number of colors to enhance the mood, or if you are only allowed one color, you might consider more dramatic lighting - perhaps back lighting, or replace the bottle with a candle and use that for your lighting. You could also play with the facial expressions of both the doctor and the duck............

Just some thoughts...... :)

AFM159
12-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Having been through an illustration program myself, I have one question for you, which is a question that I wish I had been asked more frequently in college. In addition to satisfying the assignment, does this picture also satisfy you artistically?

Ain't that the truth! That is a constant struggle for the illustrator, I think. As I see it we as illustrators have 3 choices:

Subordinate your personal artistic needs to that of the assignment.
Find a way to express yourself within the bounds of the assignment.
Find an outlet elsewhere, for your personal artistic needs.

Any on the list are valid ways do deal with the situation, for myself it depends on the individual project and how I feel about it. However, more and more I am finding a need to find an artistic outlet elsewhere.

Fylia
12-07-2004, 12:36 AM
The blackwhite line-drawing itself is not really confirm to what I'm usually doing (I try to make it more realistic), but for me personally it's a huge improvement on the liveliness of my lines... But during the coloring, I feel, the illustration has lost quite some power. I like the greens of my kwakzalver himself, but the greens of the desk don't give that fluor-surreal-spooky feeling.

The assignment was to only use a limited palette of colors, so adding extra colors isn't a problem.

Repainting it shouldn't be a real problem... I scanned the original black and white, and then printed it (very lightly) on watercolor paper. So, it's only a matter of reprinting and repainting.

I'll try to get a more green-yellow fluor feeling all over the painting.

I'll keep you up to date!

Fylia
12-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Once in school, I decided, together with the teacher that I don't need to repaint the whole thing... I corrected the front of the desk however and made it darker.

These are the other two.
Averechts
means "opposite" or even rebellious and it's made up of Ave (latin greating - Ave Maria...) and rechts (right - also for faschism). In the original the painting itself is placed on the right side of a 75cm (wide) x 20 cm height piece of paper. I did some corrections on the original after scanning it (made the contour lines lighter where the light falls on).

Oogopslag
means "glance, look, glimpse" formed by oog (eye) and opslag (serve - service).

chsm
01-11-2005, 03:16 PM
LOL, luv ur Dr.!