PDA

View Full Version : Old Broadway

Almon
12-06-2004, 11:26 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-06-2004/25377_Cnv0206_(487_x_600).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Old Broadway
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting I am doing but not yet finished was taken from a black and white photo from the late 20s. It is of my home town in Corner Brook, newfoundland, Canada.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is my first painting of people and buildings. It is not yet finished. Any comments would be helpfull. One thing I am a little woried about, I wonder if the woman and little girl should be moved back a bit. Thanks in advance. Al Stone

LisaArt
12-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Hi Al, Wow, first painting of people and buildings, It is turning out marvelous. :clap: Very nice painting. It really bring me back to the old days. I think your woman and child are very well done and not too close. Your buildings are also extremely well done.
You said that it is not finished, so at the moment my only nit is the man on the back of the truck, He kind of looks like a scare crow :D
But you said you were not finished, so I guess you have more work to do on him..Oh and welcome to WC. :wave:

Almon
12-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi Lisa
I have a lot of touch up's to do. I have a face to put on the little boy. That will be fun, seeing I never painted a face yet. In a few days I will show it finished . Al

Gilberte
12-06-2004, 01:30 PM
This is a gracious scenery, kind of illustration like or perhaps somewhat naive considering the further buildings and objects all have about the same value but that's what makes it so special. I'd leave the mother/child as is ...

Welcome to WC !

Dana Design
12-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Those buildings are wonderful as is the wooden sidewalk! I think your idea to move the woman and child toward the front of the painting is a good idea! It would give the entire piece a bit more depth. The little boy on the back of the truck could use just a tiny bit more detail. He looks unfinished.

I love these "time and place" paintings and yours is just so good! Days gone by. (I remember wooden sidewalks in Aspen, CO! and, I'm not THAT old!) :D Congratulations!

Tamana
12-06-2004, 08:50 PM
I really like the electrical poles...

The song Twenty Years Ago comes to mind while looking at this.

Almon
12-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Hi Everyone,
I finished Old Broadway. as it was my first doing buildings and people any comment would be appricated good or bad. Thanks, Al stone

LisaArt
12-10-2004, 09:27 AM
A great finish. Wonderful painting . :clap:
First time doing building and figures...With each one you will get better and better.

JoeKaz
12-10-2004, 09:55 AM
I like it - the subject matter goes really well with your style of painting. You said it's your first painting of buildings and people, I think you should do a few more like this.

Moving the woman and girl forward was a good move - they look just perfect now. One thing I might suggest: the straight lines in the immediate foreground of the road look too straight. I'd de-emphasize some of the darker lines, or vary the width, or make them a bit irregular.

Also, I like the less saturated color of your first version better. I don't mean that in a bad way, I like the 2nd one a lot, but the less saturated color gives it more of an old painting feeling. Maybe something to try in another painting.

Gilberte
12-10-2004, 01:02 PM
I like it a lot.
The building on the right looks a bit wonky but that's not really important ...
Never knew they had wooden sidewalks in the old days ...

Lots of people are going to enjoy your work I'm sure !

earthbot1
12-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Depending on you want with your art...but this type of painting is very desirable by the public. If you just kept painting like this you could probably sell a bunch.
I like the charm of it.