PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Sun

woodguy
12-06-2004, 02:21 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-06-2004/5058_afternoonsun.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Afternoon Sun
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 24 x 32
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Trying to tie up lots of loose ends.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim

LisaArt
12-06-2004, 05:28 AM
Hi Jim, sorry I have no suggestions, just wanted to say that, I think this is a great piece, the red/orange autumn colours are super. I really like these aerial comps of yours.

jerryW
12-06-2004, 10:02 AM
I opt for obfuscation in favour of the abstraction and graphic quality.
the first victims to my palette knife would be tiny dark windows - not all, but those that pull hardest.
that being said
this is totally great as is and of course needs nothing.
i always see more that I would do with my own work too but I hesitate, it could be endless.

haaf
12-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi Jim
I love aerial views.
The following sprung into my head after reading Jerry's comment(...actually don't understand completely what he is saying) but this is from my brain....
I think in this one you've been hesitating between depicting all, I mean both reality and thinking more in abstract shapes. And painted both...
As I look at the way thehouses are painted, I wouldalso expect to see front lawns ,walkways etc, and...they are not there, no car no nothing.
So I think you have to decide in what direction to wonder, I think in time abstract is quicker!
The warmth is really tangible
Caroline ;)

Gilberte
12-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Like Legoland under an ultra-red massage lamp ...

artbabe21
12-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Jim, a definite departure for you! I enjoy the view point on this. So how'd you reference this? Did you just wing it? :)

dornberg
12-06-2004, 05:27 PM
very nioce play of shapes and emphasis

woodguy
12-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Thank you, Lisa!

Thanks, Jerry! Yes, as it appears here I agree with you.

Thank you, Caroline! You are very correct, indeed. I was trying to stay loose and somewhat abstract, but I kept being pulled in by the detail. The digital image really does distort this a bit though. I plan on some more work to ease things some.

Thank you, Gilberte! Excellent description :clap:

Thank you, Cathleen! I had a picture that I used as reference, but with the light and shadows I did "wing it."

Thanks, Bob!

Tamana
12-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Gorgeously warm landscape of sun. Small town USA...

Moosehead
12-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Another good one Jim. :clap: :clap:

woodguy
12-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Thank you, Jon! On this one I tried using a bit of C. Orange to liven it up and to make it "pop!" One has to be willing to push boundaries now and then ;) Jim

PAKI
12-16-2004, 05:15 AM
nice change of scenery :) :wink2: lol
I like the perspective of this painting.

Mikey
12-16-2004, 06:19 AM
Jim, if I could afford to own one of those properties I'd buy this. Is lucrative a dirty word? But how does an artist take them giclees to the market?

Mikey

Spyderbabe
12-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Love these skyviews Jim... great mix of realism and sense of fantasy.

mattlart
12-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Greetings Jim!

After some technical problems in relocation to my new location in rural New Hampshire;..I'm finally able to log-in and post on WC again,..and delighted in being able to do so.

Methinks this piece strikes a very appealing balance between the impressionistic and abstract. Regardless of whatever genre you might consider this one to fall into;..the strong design, color, and contrast incorporated here make it especially appealing.

To my eye,..those strong cast shadows are definitely an asset;..as they help to draw my eye to an interesting focal point for this scene.

I would change nothing! :D
This could certainly have come from an aerial view taken right here in my new neighborhood in rural New England. I like this........lots.

As always ,..Best Wishes,-Scott

artbabe21
12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
ah, Scott....good to see you were able to log in....hope you post your new Amsterdam painting!

Happy holidays Everyone! :wink2:

Gavinart
12-16-2004, 02:19 PM
THIS Has the appearance of an abstract portrait. I'm enjoying the use of orange and green mingling.

Very nice!

woodguy
12-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Thank you, PAKI!

Thank you, Mikey! A very nice compliment :) Lucrative is not a dirty word. I am not sure but I think getting a Giclee to market is a rather expensive and time intensive matter.

Thank you, Kathleen!

Thanks, Scott! Glad to see you back. This one, and the others in this series, has been a big departure for me in style and palette. It makes me want to paint some 'very, very large ones" Hope all is going well. If you haven't seen the others in this series, go to my web site and look at the last paintings at the bottom.

Happy Holidays to you Cathleen, and all WC'ers too!!

Thank you, Gavin! In this recent series I discovered the power of orang and green. It really surprised me how well it really works.