PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 7 - EXAM/TEST- Old thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JayD
12-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Basic 101: Class 7
EXAM: PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

Congratulations class! You have made it this far and you could not have made me prouder. Not only have I gotten to meet some great people but I have met some extraordinary and special artist. ALL of you deserve a round of applause. I have learned a lot from you as well. I see from your work enthusiasm and inspiration for my own work for years to come.

This week we are going to take everything that we have learned and put it all together.. This is going to be deceptive short. Here is this weeks assignment:

Below you will see a single still life that was personally picked out by WC Guide Stoy Jones. You may post your work here and on Stoy’s weekly drawing thread. Here is what you need to do:

1. VERY carefully establish the basic geometric shapes.

2. VERY carefully establish the centerlines

3. VERY carefully create any ellipses and make sure that you have them balanced—remember that this one point (the ellipse) will make or break your drawing.

4. Make your first drawing—don’t worry about detail and post it to the class

5. You must do the folds!

NEXT

Part I: Do the drawing directly from the still life photo

Part II: Add something personal about yourself to the still life—it can be a cherished object or a symbolic object. Be prepared to explain your choice.

PS: Below are links to the previous class and pre-class threads!
Basic 101:Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs--PLEASE READ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221326)
Basic 101:Class1 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223763) Class 2 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225461) Class 3 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228822) Class 4 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230387) Class 5 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231940) Class 6 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233216)

Good luck. I am very proud of all of the work that you all have done thus far.

Happy drawing!!!

Jet
12-06-2004, 03:48 AM
#7 already !!
I better get my bones together...
I'll try to get on track here...
Congrats you've been there at all times !! that's hard...

Keep it up Jay

Regards :wave:

mothsailor
12-06-2004, 04:14 AM
And I thought my exam taking days were over! Still, this looks a lot more fun than O-level maths! Looking forward to getting down to work, and seeing everyone else's too. :)

anney
12-06-2004, 05:26 AM
Lucky me, I've already done this one as part of the Learning Values project (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=409):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/409/completed/28065/teapot-apple_Final.jpg

I plan to do it again, but I'm rather late on several issues, so it will take time!

Anne

JayD
12-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Beautiful Job!!! As USUAL but you are not finished in the class--read the last part of the class :evil: Love it though--you are exceptional, Anney. :clap: :wave: :clap:

Jet--hop to to it Young Son!!! (young son is a southern slang).

Dave--this will be fun--you are correct--don't forget the centerlines and such.

Mary Woodul
12-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Good morning :music: ........oh I love it JayD :cat:

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 08:11 AM
Morning all,

I'm subbing in this week. Sure glad I don't have to stand up in front of you. I would probably say 'ummm....ummmm..' Didn't do well in public speaking.

Dave, More fun than exams??? :D

Jet, JayD is THE MAN huh?! Talk about dedication. This whole class has been fabulous! So glad you are still with us btw. :clap:

Anne, You really nailed this!! :clap: :clap: :clap: . I can't say I like any one thing more than the other as it is all very well done!! Also, if you do go ahead and do it again, note that the lid of the coffee pot is several shapes molded together. It transitions from a cone and rounds off to a squat cylinder at the lids rim, And don't forget to add your personal object! :D

Blah
12-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Anne...WOW :clap: :clap: :clap:

Blah

bjcpaints
12-06-2004, 09:30 AM
I have a question (there's always one in the crowd isn't there). :confused:
I'm not sure if I am seeing this correctly because on Anney's beautiful drawing, the top of the coffee pot looks like it is in place; while on the lesson example it looks slightly askew, ajar, however you want to say it. Is it me or is the lesson picture so dark I cannot tell. Thanks.
Barbara

mhimeswc
12-06-2004, 09:34 AM
That's terrific, Anne. You actually got that enamel coffee pot to look like enamel.

I can't wait to get started on this, now that my little guys have gone home. They will be back for a week at Christmas. It was fun having them around, but it's nice to have the house back and the peace and quiet. :)

Michelle

Fireman's kid
12-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Wahhhh! An exam! And I'm so far behind too. :crying: I'm going to start having that unprepared for school nightmare again for sure.

But I promise to do my best Teach (and sub-Teach) even if I do turn in my work late. :D This looks like a fun one and my mind has already started churning on what personal item I can add. Fun!

Anne - great job on your project! The colors are really beautiful.

Okay, I'm off. I'd like to say I am going to draw, but really I am going to breakfast with my hubby. It's his birthday so he took the day off. We are going to play while the kiddies are in school. :D

See ya!

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 09:37 AM
Good eye Barbara, it does look like the lid tilts more down at the spout side of the pot. Must be a much used loved pot!

JayD
12-06-2004, 09:40 AM
I am not here so just popping in to see how things are going--Barb, the lid is askew but Anney has made it her own by correcting it (I am assuming)-it is a good example of taking control of the picture and not letting the need to exact a likeness take control of you. :)

Have fun! Judi, back to you --and I got your pm and good for you! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mothsailor
12-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Morning all,

I'm subbing in this week. Sure glad I don't have to stand up in front of you. I would probably say 'ummm....ummmm..' Didn't do well in public speaking.

When I was in school, substitute teachers always got a hard time from the students! :evil: :D Obviously not going to happen with this class though! :angel:

mothsailor
12-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Anne,

That's a lovely picture...amazing what you can do with only three colours!

BTW, I'm scratching my head even more than usual with your latest mystery masterpiece! :confused:

anney
12-06-2004, 10:36 AM
I am not here so just popping in to see how things are going--Barb, the lid is askew but Anney has made it her own by correcting it (I am assuming)-it is a good example of taking control of the picture and not letting the need to exact a likeness take control of you.

JayD you're too kind... In fact I was focusing on the values. So I quickly traced some lines and they were some mistakes done then. The paper I was using gave a nice texture, but it's almost impossible to erase on this paper, so I had to keep the mistakes...

Thanks for all the kind comments, I still have lessons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 to deal with!!! :wink2:

Anne

Edited to add: And I didn't worked from the rigth reference picture, but from this one: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=11105&sort=1&cat=500&page=3

Jet
12-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Hi guys ad gals...
I ve been busy lately...

I went on to doing the shapes as a quick sketch...and i ran out of room...lol...

** Followers of the "SHH! thread", A surprise is on the way...(see 2nd attachment ! -below-)

See ya later..

JayD
12-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Jet, HI--I am popping back in because I don't want to put this on Judi--I like your hand sketch much better then the computer generated one. If you remember with BLAH, I had him move away from his usual habits in order to loosen up his drawing.

From this point on in the class DO NOT POST computer generated material. I want you to do all the exercises by hand. You have a marvelously loose and expressionistic gesture with a pencil and the digital images distract from your natural talent which has a beauty all of its own. This is the same thing with Blah--I am a huge admirer of your digital talent but I want to move you on to a more parallel plane. When we finish this course your last assignment will be to do your final version and then I will want you to do a digital demonstration for everyone. I am going to want everyone to do something in their favorite medium but first, the drawing part. Cheers :)

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 11:27 AM
JayD,
Sent you a pm a while ago to tell you I'd be stepping out as I had signed up to give blood but I'm back now. :D

JayD
12-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Oh, I responded on this thread--good for you for giving blood!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 11:53 AM
JayD...Oooops you did. Sorry bout that! :o

Dave, but those substitute teachers were young and inexperienced. I raised three kids and know all the tricks. No trouble from you or you'll be sent to JayD's office and then.......! :evil: :D

Cathie Jones
12-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Hey Teach and sub-Teach - where's the lesson on folds? Who said you can do folds just because Teach tells you to do it?? I object!! *ducks under desk to avoid ruler on knuckles* :evil:

mothsailor
12-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Hey Teach and sub-Teach - where's the lesson on folds? Who said you can do folds just because Teach tells you to do it?? I object!! *ducks under desk to avoid ruler on knuckles* :evil:

What did I tell you...trouble already!!

Subway
12-06-2004, 12:40 PM
I printed out the b&w picture. It came out lighter than it appears on the computer, and I could see a little hinge connecting the lid to the top of the handle of the coffee pot. It is hard to see this on the computer. Apparently that connecting hinge allows the lid to tilt up without falling off, and may explain why the lid does indeed appear to be slightly off-center.

sultry
12-06-2004, 12:46 PM
CJ I am surprised at you (lol) just take a look at those folds do you see shapes??? Do you see a cone? do you see a tubular or cylinder type shape?
just do the shapes not the folds.

Remember to draw what you see. Turn the paper upside down and draw the shapes (helps to draw the negative space).

When you get to the shading just have your lines follow the shape. :)

You can doooooo it ( I know you can).

Oops I am not subbing till Wed & Thurs so today I am a sub sub teach lol.

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 01:05 PM
CJ, BACK to your seat!!!...cracks whip! (How was the Opera?)

Sultry, Good super power of observation there -eh..do I sound like the Main Man here?! :D . (BTW my out of town trip was cancelled but I do not mind everybody chirping in)

Dave, you are such and angel. :rolleyes: You are the teachers pet today! :D

Subway, I do see the mechanical dohickey lid flipper...I used it in my sketch actually.

Here's my first sketch. I turned to pot a hair to catch the inside of the lid.

Mary Woodul
12-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Anne that is a beautiful drawing. I don't know how you got all of those little specks to look so real.

Jet, it is nice to see you around, I'd give anything to be able to hand sketch the way you do so fast.

Hi everyone :wave:

Here is my preliminary sketch but I had it in a margin and ran out of space so something must be out of proportion. You can hardly see it but it's there, I promise.

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 01:17 PM
There is a new thread this morning called 'draped cloth' you all may want to look at it.
Mary, the pot is looking good. You don't know what your token item will be yet either? I'm pondering myself!

JayD
12-06-2004, 01:21 PM
CJ--you should be a genius with the folds now--break the folds down into their geometric components--no one said this was an easy test. :D

Mary Woodul
12-06-2004, 02:47 PM
There is a new thread this morning called 'draped cloth' you all may want to look at it.
Mary, the pot is looking good. You don't know what your token item will be yet either? I'm pondering myself!
Hi Judi, I think we cross posted because yours wasn't there and I didn't comment on it, sorry. Your way ahead with that one. My reading glasses are next to the pot but everything is so hard to see with my faint lines. Lately I cherish my reading glasses and have to have a pair at my computer and my drawing table, if not I'll panic. :eek:

Cathie Jones
12-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Okay, you guys. I was kidding, but also serious. Yes, I see the geometric shapes in the folds. HOWEVER, there's more to folds than just shapes. Without the proper shading to make 'hills and valleys' it just looks like geometric shapes. But you know I'll try it!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_skater.gif

Judi, 'splain please: "I turned to pot a hair to catch the inside of the lid." I'm positive I don't know how to do this!!! :evil: :angel:

La Boheme was fantastic! Great costumes and sets and the singers were very good. And, unlike most opera singers, they were good actors, too, and conveyed the emotions in this story in a way you don't always see in opera.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_opera.gif

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Mary, I'm with you on the reading glasses! I need to keep 3 pair of reading glasses. One pair at work, one pair at the home computer station and a pair at my drawing desk. Then there's the driving prescription glasses :( .
My Mom calls all this stuff, (things associated with getting older) the 'Creeping Crud'. I have a bad case of it. LOL

I do see your glasses now. Sorry I missed them.
Tell me.. is it warm and sunny there? :envy: :envy:
It's a cold rain here today that goes right thru you.

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Cathie,

'Spaining...I just wanted to see the ellipsodial shape of the lid to see the inside of it to a degree, for something different. You do not need to do this, I am sorry if it sounded instructional for the project. I took a coffee mug and turned it to see the different viewing angle of the handle. Also the spout would turn along with the handle. As for how it looks with the lid open,etc...I used my super powers of imagination (which I do not excell in). Actually you could make a mock up using a container and lid. But I am an engineering tech so I have some experience with technical drawing, which helps me.

I hope that is clear to you...I'm not the best explainer.
And Cathie, I know you can do the folds. Check out the thread I mentioned earlier. You always say you can't draw. NOT TRUE. Once you took your time more...you got it!!! :clap: :clap:

sultry
12-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Without the proper shading to make 'hills and valleys' it just looks like geometric shapes. But you know I'll try it!!

CJ, remember when we were doing lines? Do you remember lifting the pencil to make fairly light lines? Do you remember when you pressed harder to make very dark lines?

Well if you don't, go back to 6 and check out my & Dave's value charts.

Now this is up to you but If you can, it would help you to make one. It will give you the practice to do the folds with no problem.

Trust me, after you do a value chart, drawing folded texture will seem like a piece of cake.

g7i7n7a
12-06-2004, 04:46 PM
hi, :) ,
here is part one.
am I to draw a new picture for the second part or just carry on with this one.
also, I just drew straight lines for the folds, was I supposed to look for geometric shapes in the folding or just shade them in.
thankyou,Jayd and Judy and All.
gina

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Sulty,
Thanks for the expanation to Cathie, well done. I guess I think I'm at work where when you ask a question someone will point you in the direction of the answer, but not give it to you. You then check it out/study for yourself to get your answer. I was intentionally not answering the folds question to CJ, I wanted her to go look at the draping cloth thread, where she would see by observing.
Thanks again!

Sorry Cathie, I'm trying :( .

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Gina, In JayD's class descprtion for this project he mentioned 'first' drawing. I am gathering from that that we will transfer to another drawing our final corrected shapes.

JayD, is this correct?

Yes, to look for the geometric shapes. You can draw them or be strongly aware of them when you do your shading as it will be imperitive to recognize them. No hard lines in the final.

Glad to see you!
:wave: :wave:

sultry
12-06-2004, 05:07 PM
ahhh ok Judi I will know not to splain too much to them. LOL

CJ, your on your own. :)

edited to whisper in CJ's ear, if you get confused :confused: on anything just look at what your doing what geometric shape it is. Go back to the class for that shape and re read what Jay said to do for that shape. :) okay, I will be quiet now. :D

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 05:13 PM
CJ, I just re-read your quote on me, that's pretty darned funny...Didn't see my typo. LOL, LOL

g7i7n7a
12-06-2004, 05:33 PM
thanks, Judi, it's good to be here, missed this place...
ok, i will transfer and continue.

Here's my first sketch. I turned to pot a hair to catch the inside of the lid.
ha ha ,...I still can't figure out what this is SUPPOSED to say. :)
gina
but I love what you have done to make it personal. :clap:

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Gina,
It was supposed to say: 'I turned THE pot a hair to catch a (inside is implied) view of the lid.'
ROFLOL

g7i7n7a
12-06-2004, 05:59 PM
hahahahahahha :clap:
gina

Mary Woodul
12-06-2004, 06:12 PM
ahhh ok Judi I will know not to splain too much to them. LOL

CJ, your on your own. :)

edited to whisper in CJ's ear, if you get confused :confused: on anything just look at what your doing what geometric shape it is. Go back to the class for that shape and re read what Jay said to do for that shape. :) okay, I will be quiet now. :D

Oh Sultry, Cathie and Judi, you guys have made my afternoon, you all are so funny........JayD's going to come back and smack us all with the ruler :eek: and Dave was right!!!

Gina, your preliminary looks nice, I hadn't thought of doing another one I was just going to work on the preliminary but I guess I'm wrong.

mothsailor
12-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Luckily I'm not the kind of guy to say "I told you so!" :angel: ROTFLOL

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Dave,
Have you just been watching the comedy act from afar??!! :p
Glad you enjoyed the show! Good thing I have a sense of humor and can laugh at myself! :D
When I volunteered way back when, who would have thought I would get the first slot. So much for the luck of the Irish!

WC needs a spellcheck!

sultry
12-06-2004, 06:37 PM
<<<<<<<drawing my preliminary giggling under neath the gag on my mouth.
Winks @ Mary ;) :) :D

mothsailor
12-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Dave,
Have you just been watching the comedy act from afar??!! :p
Glad you enjoyed the show! Good thing I have a sense of humor and can laugh at myself! :D
When I volunteered way back when, who would have thought I would get the first slot. So much for the luck of the Irish!

WC needs a spellcheck!

Watching, not drawing :( , as I've got a deadline of tomorrow at 1.00pm to get an important piece of work done. (That's real work, not art! :) ) Shouldn't really be spending any time here at all, but you've got to get a bit of light relief from time to time, haven't you?!

Seriously, though, I'm sure we all appreciate you taking this on! Thanks very much! :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Really having a good time though.

REAL :clap: :clap: to JayD who does this day in and day out!

And remember, be nice to the Sub!

Cathie Jones
12-06-2004, 07:21 PM
CJ, I just re-read your quote on me, that's pretty darned funny...Didn't see my typo. LOL, LOL

Cracked me up that you were turning to pot hair! And then, of course, you "spained" it, instead of 'splainin' so I'm just now up off the floor and wiping the tears away. (Dontcha know my boss is wondering what's going on!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_laugh.gif

Sorry I started such a ruckus about the folds . . . I really didn't mean to cause trouble for the sub. And I did look at the draped cloth thread. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_angel.gif

Thanks for subbing, Judi. You're doing a great job. But don't you think you should remove Sultry's gag???

Jet
12-06-2004, 07:29 PM

Oh , boy !

There were a couple of tutorials for drawing cloth and clothes in my now-gone FAQs tread .... :(

...I miss so much my FAQs thread... :crying:

:cool:

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Jet, :wave: :wave: Evening!! Where did your thread go? :(

Cathie, You didn't cause any trouble for me. I get in trouble ALL BY MYSELF. :D Anyway, I still believe asking you to study the thread on the 'draped cloth' was correct instruction.
How is it going with that? :)

I am re-reading this three times before I post, checking my spelling!!! :D

Deb Leger
12-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Oh , boy !

There were a couple of tutorials for drawing cloth and clothes in my now-gone FAQs tread .... :(

...I miss so much my FAQs thread... :crying:

:cool:

Jet!!!!! How come it's gone??? :o :( :o It was so awesome!!!!!!

On another note, there's a thread in the watercolour forum about starting lessons over there and several people have pointed to Jay's class here. :D Click here to read it and vote if you like (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234204) It's amazing how many people are following this class without posting or participating! You guys'd get a lot more out of this if you did! :wave:

Deb

Cathie Jones
12-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Yeah! All you lurkers join in - it's fun and only hurts a little!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_3cheerleaders.gif

SILKNSATIN
12-06-2004, 09:55 PM
How did you know I popped in and was lurking?TEEHEE.This is coming along wonderful.Wish I had more time on my hands but wanted to see how it is coming along.FANTASTIC JayD :clap: :clap: :wave:

JayD
12-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Love ya, Bon!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Cathie Jones
12-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Hey Bon! Nice to see you. You can drop in just to say "hi" you know. What I've seen of your work doesn't show much need for lessons! :clap:

Judi1957
12-06-2004, 10:51 PM
Class,
Just a reminder that this project can also be posted in Stoy's Weekly Drawing Thread when you are done.

sultry
12-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Judi & Jay my pic is too big so I have to scan it 2 x to show the full sketch.

By the way Judi I like what you did with your lid off. :) I was going to do that and have a kitten peek out but I thought he looks cuter dozing off on the apple.

Anyways subbie teach thanks for looking :)

Hiyas Bon glad your busy with commissions. :)

Jet
12-07-2004, 01:06 AM
--Regarding Jet's FAQs thread--
Jet!!!!! How come it's gone??? :o :( :o It was so awesome!!!!!!
Deb

Deb,
My FAQs thread was stripped of images and condensed into a thin directory thread....
It was announced to me by Artdude that pictures were going to disappear due to possible copyright problems and I agreed, but I firmly believe that further actions taken were a HUGE mistake, whatsoever..

1.- I was removed as head of the thread...tsk tsk...
2.- It got closed to anyone's access... why?
3.- The order and actual content was deleted, so all comments were erased and no trace is left of my brainchild.... copyright issue?
I feel that it was my creation and it should have been kept as my achievement....
I believe that it was my thread and it should be respected as it was, same as any other members' threads have been respected all around this site..

If the staff want their own help thread they can do their own research, It looks like it is a crime that my thread was providing vital information (long needed and until today, neglected) for this forum and i was punished by stealing my info, avoiding my access, and cutting my head from it...EXTREMELY SAD JET RIGHT HERE :crying:

I didn't break any rules it was for my own satisfaction and if it could help anyone, i would be grateful....

If any corrective actions are going to be taken, i would advise that it should begin by
1.- searching the thousands of crappy threads many of us have posted and everybody has forgotten about them..
2.- Enforce the WC site's #1 rule of placing ALL related pictures in a single thread, as there are many members that are flooding the forum with single threads for each new picture , sometimes having 4-5 new threads in a "screen" view...
3.- watch the contents that go against the threads...for instance:
a- finished drawings at the seasonal sketch thread
b- watercolor or any other non drawing related pictures..
c- glitches related to picture and graphic file size
d- duplicated posts and threads
e- invalid links and non-sense, defective posts

IF, after getting the above tasks done , there is still time and energy left, THEN it would be my thread's turn - I believe that would be around march 2006... :wink2:

I have 2 other faqs threads and they have been respected and they remain as my creations ... one is at the photography/digital manipulations Forum > Extremely Useful Links (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156873)
And the other one, is at the Digital Art Forum > Tips & Tutes x Digital Arts (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192439)

I have witnessed that the actual help thread doesn't get as many visitors as mine did, so in terms of effectiveness, easy to find info, and user friendliness my thick and hefty thread has proven to be more effective...

I am seriously thinking about posting a poll asking members if they want my original thread back....
If i get the majority of votes ...I hope my thread has been stored somewhere as it was with all its replies and comments from every kind member that had been 'regulars' at the FAQs thread...

I just feel not complete without that thread.. :(
I have only one question!!
Why only me ? :confused: :(

JayD
12-07-2004, 05:49 AM
OK, lets keep on track here folks--we are starting to get off topic. :)

Jet, how is your non computer aided drawing project coming along?

Judi1957
12-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Morning all,

Sultry,
Looks like a good start on your project. :) I like the different shape of your spout.
Looking forward to the kitty. Is he/she actually your kitten?

Just on my first cup of coffee, so just waking up. Hasn't really circulated thru the veins yet.

I work full time so after 7:15 EST or so I will be out till noon. I will be in over lunchtime from noon till 1. Can't really look during working hours as 'Big Brother' exists at the company (everything over the network is monitored). Then I will be back at home around 6:00 or so. Have a great day and good luck on your projects!

Jet
12-07-2004, 06:35 AM
oops , I didn't realize this was a 101 lesson....

JayD, you are entitled to ask a Mod to clip my rant off of here... :(

Sorry :o oh boy !! (i'm gone to the north pole)....

sultry
12-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Jay do you need me to sub today till Judi is back on?

JayD
12-07-2004, 09:11 AM
yes, please :)

idcrisis55
12-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Jay, gonna love this lesson, good job! Stoy great pic and thanks for letting us use it. I have copied the lesson and posted it (see signature) with the pdf links and also placed the photos there, including lightened photos, (hope that is okay) so it can all be easily seen together and saved.

Hi sub-Judi and sub-Sultry, you are doing fantastic already. Taking pointers from you two and Jay :) Reading the thread this morning was hilarously funny and informative.

Anne, your drawing was just great. Is that colored pencil or pastel?

Jet, loved that quick sketch! Hope to be able to do that well one of these days (years???) lol.

Judi-classmate lol, I liked that sketch and the way you opened the lid and the flowers. Like the ? for the mystery object lol. Good lines and shapes!

Mary, your drawing looks good to me. I lightened the photo so I could look at the side of the lid near the handle. I think what you were seeing was the angle of the shadow, the shape of the lid at its side has the same shape as that near the spout. Other than that it looks really good as do the glasses.

Lisa, your drawing with the folds is really good. I liked the cleaness of the lines and the shapes of the pot and apple.

Hi Bon, glad to see you here!

Sultry, like the addition of the kitty in your well done line drawing.

I won't be getting mine started until after Thursday (unless I can squeeze a minute here and there). Just wanted you to know I was around and enjoying everyone's efforts and comments.

sultry
12-07-2004, 09:37 AM
good morn Ann,
Ty for C & C & I am glad you enjoyed the thread. :)
I have been practicing my folds over & over so I can be of help. :)
I love how the values really make a drawing come alive.

edited to add...No Judi not my kitty but its a hint to boyfriend because Christmas is coming up next pic will have a puppy :) I am not fickle either or would be fine I just would love to have a furry pet again. My lil fin pets are beauties but they can not be cuddled.

Blah
12-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Hello Teacher, Subs and class.

Jet, nice sketch. I liked your digital version too very much and I look forward to your tutorial.

Your FAQs thread was terrific and I hope it gets another lease of life. Even though it is not there right now, whenever I see the type of info that it contained I only think of your thread.

Judi, lovely sketch and very nicely personalised. I like your idea of opening the lid and and turning the pot just a shade.

Mary, good to see that you are going through the steps indicated by Jay for this week's assignment...preliminary sketch followed by a personalised finished drawing.

Cathie, lovely, lovely smileys. They make my day :) The opera singer is outstanding and the cheeerleaders are a close second.

Gina....very nice preliminary sketch. I think we are expected to identify the basic geometric forms in this sketch. At least that is what I plan to do. I also think we are expected to make a proper drawing next, starting from scratch, but bearing in mind the geometric forms that we have already identified. We would be expected to do each of these portions of the drawing the way we have learnt to do the different forms over the last few weeks. And yes, we are to include the folds and add a personal touch to the composition in this second drawing.

Sultry....lovely line drawing and I like the personal touches.

Dave, thanks for livening up this class with your early comments :D

Blah

sultry
12-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Since I am a standing in sub sub,

Just would like to add ....
if your still in the line drawing stage of your work, that is where detail can be lightly applied.
Look at the ref pic then try to apply it as you see it. Sometimes it helps not only to turn your own work upside or look in mirror but also try turning the ref pic upside or look at in a mirror. You will see lines and shapes you did not notice before.

Also, when doing the line drawing look at the negative spaces on the ref pic it helps to draw the shape instead of the object.

Take each part of the drawing in tiny little peek holes and then apply your lines.

Good Luck

edited to add..
Ty Blah :)

mhimeswc
12-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Jet, I like your quick sketch. (I like the computer generated one too. I wish I could do that). I'm sorry about your FAQ thread. It was a great resource and I think it was a mistake to do what they did. I vote to restore it.

Judi, putting flowers in the coffee pot was a great idea. Can't wait to see your drawing finished.

Sultry, that kitten is so cute. What a great addition.

Well, I haven't started mine yet, but I will get to it today. Still trying to think of what I should add to mine.

Michelle

sultry
12-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi Michelle,
Thanks for the C & C,

I was so lost on what to add to the pic too. At first I thought of making it a pic with ingredients for an apple pie ( you know cinnamon; vanilla ect. ect) pic would be coffee and apple pie. :)

but Jay said tell us something about yourself with something personal.

So, I decided to put something that I would not mind hanging in my kitchen if I saw it. Maybe that will help you to decide on your personal touch. :D

artdude
12-07-2004, 10:39 AM
NOTE: Comments towards Jet's FAQ thread DO NOT belong in this thread! Please refrain from disscussing it here. His post in this thread slamming me for revising his FAQ thread does not belong here either!

Another note: Jet gave me his OK (via PM) when I let him know I wanted to condense the thread to just text links so people wouldn't have to wade through 9 pages of posts!! The original thread is GONE!

Future posts in this thread about this subject will be DELETED!!

Murray
-----------------------

mhimeswc
12-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Here is my quick preliminary sketch. I decided to put one of my paintings in the background for my personal touch.

Anyone see anything glaringly wrong with this before I start adding tone and darker values?

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2004/20035-Lesson7StillLife.jpg

sultry
12-07-2004, 11:00 AM
:clap: Love your personal touch.
The only thing I see is that you have applied the eclispe to the pot perfectly from the bottom up but for got the top of the lid.

Try applying it to the top and then if you are making the pot lid look like the ref pic exact, just flatten it a little.

All and all good job on your line drawing. ~KAV~ :clap:

idcrisis55
12-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Hi Sultry and all, I'm learning about C & C's as the class goes along. If I don't see something I give "atta girl/boy" comments but if I do, even if I'm incorrect, I try to comment now. :D Also, thanks for the additional tips on drawing this lesson.

Hi Michelle, like your line drawing and what a neat personal touch. I love your way of painting florals, so it will be great to see one in a drawing.

sultry
12-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Hi Ann its always encouraging to get an atta boy or girl please keep it up :), and I just noticed on the WDT Stoy has broken down the picture, so if any of you have not looked at it recently, please do, it is a great way to see the lines in the ref pic. :)

Judi1957
12-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Afternoon all!
Sorry to be late, had a phone call as I got online.

Sultry, You are doing a great job here. :clap: Thanks so much for stepping in.
As you are enjoying it so much, I wish to let you take over. If that is too much, I will take the second shift, 6-11.

Ann, Good to see you :wave: :wave: and thanks for the compliment. I really like flower gardening, my favorite flowers are lavender and daisys. I think one option will be to add a small bouquet tied with a ribbon as my mystery object. Look forward to seeing your project! Yes, yesterday was pretty funny.

Blah, Thanks for the compliment also. Hope you are not so over burdened this week at work, we all miss you! :wave: :wave:

Hey Bon! :wave: :wave:

g7i7n7a
12-07-2004, 12:41 PM
thanks for the tips, Sultry.
I will try turning the original upside, as well, had not heard that one yet.and thanks for the reminder to look for negative space, I have read about that, but have not remembered to practice it yet. my little brain is too full of WC information!!! :wave:

blah, thank you as well, always appreciate your C&C. :)

gina

JayD
12-07-2004, 12:44 PM
How is everything going, Gang--it looks good from here. :)

sultry
12-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi Jay I am keeping an eye on things as I do work from home too. So far no worries. :wave:

YW Gina :)

edited to add...

Sorry Judi just saw your post. Hey you know I do not want to take the joy of teaching away from you girl. So if you want to, please do. I love helping out because it helps me to remember pointers I have used in the past. I will sub when or where ever time you need me. :)
& your doing a great job yourself Judi. The class only benefits from C&C so the more the merrier. :)

Blah
12-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Michelle, your preliminary drawing looks fine, as also your personal touch additions. If you want to reproduce the pot closely I think you should take another look at the lid. It looks slightly different from the one in the reference picture.

Judi, I have my work under control this week and I hope to spend more time at WC and drawing. Thank you for asking.

This is my preliminary sketch, 5 to 10 minutes work, mainly to identify the geometric shapes that constitute the main subject. I have not tried for exactness in both form as well as proportions.

Blah

Cathie Jones
12-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi JayD! Sultry and Judi are keeping us in line. :eek:

The project pic that Jet fixed and posted in the Weekly thread is very good (just wish it was bigger).

This project is the first one that I've really had to take time with, and redraw - and the virtue of patience has really hit home. Along with it, though, several lessons from this class have hit home . . . and, again, I'm ever so grateful to everyone who is helping to put this together and keep it running. :clap:

sultry
12-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Looks good Blah, please post us a pic of your line drawing when it is completed with your personal touch too. :)

Hi CJ, thanks for the word of confidence to Jay for Judi & I am glad you are spending time with this.

Just look at it as a commission drawing for someone and then if you do that it will make you critique your work even much more.

Heres another tip....

I have found by drawing my line subjects on separate paper and transfering them over to the water color paper made the ease of the line drawing so much nicer.

I also played around with my objects and moved them around on a not so expensive paper so I could visulize how it would look. Till I was happy with how they were set up. Then I applied it all to the water color paper in the order best suited for my composition. I was able to doodle and erase on the first paper and put exact on my good paper. :)

A word about composition: Where you want the eye leaded to, are all objects helping the eye focus to what you want the viewer to see. :)

Mary Woodul
12-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Hi everybody :wave: Thank you all for your comments. Sultry, Michelle and Blah, those are nice line drawings. Sultry your little kitty is so cute next to the pot. Michelle, I like the flower painting in the composition. Blah your preliminary sketch is very good, lloking forward to see it finished.

Question I'm still confused. Are we not supposed to work on are preliminary drawing until it is finished? Are we supposed to start another one?

sultry
12-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Ty Mary,

Ok to answer your question I will quote Jay...

Part I: Do the drawing directly from the still life photo

Part II: Add something personal about yourself to the still life—it can be a cherished object or a symbolic object. Be prepared to explain your choice.

Did not mean to confuse you.

We are to turn in 1 completed Drawing.

How we get there, be it using the same paper or not is up to you.

I gave you a hint of how I go about it is all, so I would not have a smudged up drawing.

What Jay wants is to see that we learned the geo shapes well enough to sketch a well portioned and 3d looking.

That is why he asked for us to show the preliminary drawing first, so we could C & C on everyones to help them see any needed improvements if needed.

As I said, if you can sketch your preliminary with no eraser marks or smudges, then by all means do use the same paper. I am a messy sketcher when I am trying to get the first drawing done.

JayD
12-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Sultry, you and Judy are running the class like pros--remember not to jump too far ahead in things that will be covered in later classes. Remember that I am looking for acomplishments based on the first 6 classes--the other stuff is extra gravy.

Regarding the process--you are producing ONE finished piece and but posting its various stages along the way so that we can see your progress and guide as you go. Hope this help.--Judi and Sultry, please pass this along.

sultry
12-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Thank you Jay,

Ok I have a question now.

Jay are you saying that you would like us to post each time we complete an object in the drawing?

edited to add..

For example I have started with the drapery, so when I am completed, would you like to see it and C & C or would you like us to do a few objects and then post? Sorry, but it sounds great to follow a WIP and I just want to know how you would like to see them as they are being drawn.

JayD
12-07-2004, 04:16 PM
when you draw, you go through stages--I want you to post each stage--here is an example:

sultry
12-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Thank you Jay & she is very pretty is that your daughter?

JayD
12-07-2004, 04:28 PM
yes, that is Jen--she is a long running drawing subject of mine.

g7i7n7a
12-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi Jayd & Sultry,
in that case, this would be a good time for me to checkin.
I'm alittle overwhelmed with this, I'm all over the board not really knowing what the heckle i am doing. the only way I could get this far, was by copying Stoy's sketch, where the shading was clearly laid out already. I think the scan makes it look a little better than it actually is.
my pencils seem poor quality, as well, don't know if that makes any difference.
critique for any area would be appreciated. thanks, guys :)
gina

JayD
12-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Ok Gina, Let me step in for a second then POOF I will disappear again--this exam, such as it is , is just to take in perspective what you have picked up from the classes to this point:

stage 1.. analyze the object individually

Stage 2....Break them down into their geometric components (either mentally or on paper)

Stage 3. start your drawing.

You hae done a wonderful sketch thus far--I like the little monk thingy as well. I am listening to the the devils frustration from you but I am seeing the hand of an angel.

mhimeswc
12-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Well, once I got started on mine, I finished it - at least I think it's finished. Here it is.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2004/20035-StillLifeDone.jpg

sultry
12-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Bravo Gina this is coming along nicely :clap: ~KAV~ on that 3d apple. :)

Gina your saying your confused and jumping around, take a look at your apple and look at all the values you sketched to make it appear 3d.

Do you see how the lighter value makes it appear to come out more towards the eye of the viewer?

Look at the darker value you sketched on the apple, do you see how it has made it appear to have valleys and shadow it around to the side?

Also, when lost just go back to each geo shape you were taught to make it appear to be flat; round; curved in or out... yes look at stoy's charcoal but understand why he applied the values on the subject. As you go back to each shape, remember why you apply pressure in certain areas and pull the pencil off lightly in other areas.

As Jay said in so many words, ignore that devil and listen to the angel.

Keep it up Gina this is going to be a Master Piece. :)

Michelle, Absolutely beautiful, ~KAV~ on such great line texture :clap:
but umm don't be mad at me.

No your not done. This is for your own good to learn by the way.

Think of this as a layer of your drawing now to the next the layer to apply more values.

YYou want the folds to jump out at the eye so to do that darken next to them and blend out with the pencil by gradually lifting it off the paper to give it the effect of highlight.

To make the Pot and apple not appear in such a line edge you must darken around them in a cross hatch effect and also blend out. This will make your objects look more forward from the back ground (drapery).

g7i7n7a
12-07-2004, 05:55 PM
oohhh, thankyou, guys!!!!!!
your both very sweet. I'm glad I checked in, because I was really ready to quit.
my strength is renewed by your kind words.(I must say, there should be a hug smilie)

the little monkey thingey, is a friar tuck figure my son gave me for christmas years ago. (maybe, it needs a little tweaking... :) and the little blobs are hersheys kisses. he moved out of province 2 months ago, :( I'm not doing the empty nest thing very well..

Michelle, I'm in awe, that you did that so quick! looks fantastic.!

thanks again, guys
gina

sultry
12-07-2004, 06:05 PM
yw Gina,

Awe never give up..& using that cute momento is just because it was given to you by your son.

Michelle the reason I have decided to improve my art skills is also because of my daughter, I want to do a fitting portrait of her & her & one of her silly ferret. She is as I have said b4 serving in the Air Force in Iraq and her baby is her ferret. So, when I get discouraged I think of her.

Do this next time you get discouraged, think of him and how someday you may be able to present him with a beautiful painting or even a portrait of him.

I am in awe of how much everyone has learned and is applying it so nicely.

Edited to add...

Remember this is not due tonight...it always helps to get up and walk away from your work.

Even a good nights sleep helps...You will see things you did not see b4 and for some magical reason you will be able to handle some things that seemed very difficult to understand before you set aside the piece.

Our minds can only absorb so much, when they are over whelmed they will not be able to see clearly until they are refreshed. We all have this built into us. :)

g7i7n7a
12-07-2004, 06:49 PM
I will do that, Sultry! good advice.
Is your daughter working, living or fighting in iraQ?
gina

to those moderating ( I know, this isn't a chat room...just this once.) :wave:

ps does anyone know why my profile picture wont' show up? it's showing as loaded when I check the profile info.?? :(

sultry
12-07-2004, 07:16 PM
lol Gina, I am sure the moderators will understand a lil chat among the students is ok as long as we keep learning. :)

My daughter is in charge of supplies for the fighting soldiers. She is not in line of fire but she has had some close calls already. :(

She has been in Iraq since August for a 6 mth tour but not sure if they may be asked to stay longer.

Another Tip....

lol just call me the tip subbie (ha ha)

When your stumped on something look at other drawings (does not have to be the same subject you are drawing) that are very good and C & C them. That will help you to see more on your own piece also.

Cathie Jones
12-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Gina, the phrase "hand of an angel" perfectly described what I thought when I saw your drawing. The apple is fantastic, and the rest of it will be when you're finished! :clap:

Here's a smilie for you to give to Jay and Sultry: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2004/23460-grouphug.gif

sultry
12-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Gina did you add the profile pic under avator or chat avator?

Judi1957
12-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Evening all,

Wow-wee, looks like you are just flying Sultry. You are really doing a great job!!!!! :clap:

Blah, :wave: Good breakdown on your shapes! :clap: Glad they are taking it easier on you at work this week!

Michelle, :wave: you have certainly accomplished much! I like how you added your own picture within your picture. Nice touch and is turning out very well there Speedy! I agree you need more values, I struggle with that too. I'm doing what JayD said, to a point. Darkest values first, next lightest, then medium valuethen next dark, next light. Kinda ping-ponging back and forth. That's how I look at it. Or how I understood him.
I don't have my darkest ones in yet, but I know which they are. Don't like to have too many smears. Even though I am using a clean paper as a shield under my hand to minimize that...it still happens some.

JayD, :wave: Thanks for posting the stages. Jen is a doll baby.

Gina, :wave: You did lose your avatar! Strange, I don't know anything about that. Sorry. Your work is really coming along great. The apple is looking especially good. Your little guy (did I read that was from your son?) is adorable!

Well heres my post. I had done my initial sketch previously posted and transfered to my sketchbook. Like I mentioned to Michelle, don't have my darkest darks in or all of them yet for that matter. I guess this is really not stage 1, it's stage one-half of one. I still need to move the folds around on the right side to accommodate a small bouquet. The flowers in the pot are just lightly sketched in. I think I will be adding more, just a couple as well as some more leaves. I'll make a mock up as that always helps.

And Sultry, If I miss-spelled anything, I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!! LOL :D :D :D

g7i7n7a
12-07-2004, 08:18 PM
welcome back, Judi!
The pot looks great! I love what you did with the flowers and the lid.(wishihadthoughtofthat :) ) :clap: :clap:

Sultry, wish for you heart-peace, so you don't worry too terribly for your daughter and speak a blessing of protection in every way over her!!

thanks Cathie, for your kind words, and those great hugs!!!
bye4now
gina
btw - it was the avatar, I put it in the wrong place, thanks for the tip-sub.

sultry
12-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Hiyas Judi,

LOL that would be calling the kettle black ( I am not great at spelling either).
just look how many times I edit my posts, its often times because I may see a word that I misspelled and then will go look it up to fix it.

Well Judi I am having great time sub subbing but I do not want to take the wonderful opportunity away from you. This was originally your week to sub and I am just a stand in for you. So by all means C & C.

Infact I am so behind on my drawing from everyone else, I will just take a break from C & C and work on it before bedtime. I will check in later and see the new posts.

But hands the Subbie teachers stick back to Judi, smiles and says thank you.
lol when my bf and I need to talk seriously we will hold a pretend talking stick and when the other has it, then the other one must listen till its their turn to hold the stick. It helps with no jumping in. So when ya need me Judi just hand me the subbie teaching stick. :D

Ty Gina, so much :) I will be posting her pic soon hope to do her portrait for our finale project if Jay lets me.

Judi1957
12-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Sultry, I certainly do not feel you are taking a opportunity away from me. I'm still here. Just wanted to offer it up to you take over if you wanted, as you had expessed a great amount of interest in doing this in a 'discussion' last class, you are doing a great job and I am not really available as much as I like during the week days. That's all. Like I said, I didn't go anywhere. I love this class. It is a great opportunity to learn. We are both subbers. That works for me. :D
BTW, sorry to be so late this evening. Some things came up and it was unavoidable. It is unusual though. I generally get home by 6 at the latest.

sultry
12-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Well here is my progress so far,

I have been practicing alot on a different paper with my value textures too.

I do not have it dark enough next to my spout (working on that now).

JayD
12-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Hi, Gang--you guys are fabulous. Make sure you cross post these "original" pieces when you are through into the WDT. I hope you are getting my point about taking a photo and elevating it into something more personal. You folks are spectabular.

Mary Woodul
12-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Hi there! You guys are really way ahead now.

Sultry, you didn't confuse me, I just wasn't sure. Your progress picture looks great and I am sure looking forward to seeing your daughters picture.

Gina, that apple is so delicate and beautiful and love the friar.

Judi, yours looks great and I love your personal touches.

Michelle, finished already and it is a very nice drawing.

See you guys tomorrow and I better go work on my pot. :wave:

Judi1957
12-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Sultry,
Looking good. I see all the horizontal lines on the drawing. (not referencing the hand drawn ones on the right side of the pot). Is that the paper?
What different papers are you experimenting with? You should try Stonehenge. Really nice stuff. I buy it in the big sheets and cut off what I want. I don't use it for class projects here though. Cheap I am. Murray Cholowsky (of WC) has a post on many different papers and for what medium to use them with, in case you are interested.

Kittykins is cute. I like the tilt of his head. Lid hinge outline look good too. Post again tomorrow and we'll see how far you get, and you can blame it on me for showing up late! :D

Evening Mary! :wave: Thanks.

Judi1957
12-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Yawn!
See ya all in the morning!

Sultry, will you be at the helm tomorrow? I mentioned this morning I leave for work at 7:15ish, but I be online before that in case there are any posts. Were you tired after today? I know I appreciated JayD even more when I went to bed last night!!!!

Cathie Jones
12-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Good night, Judi . . . sweet dreams.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_snore.gif

Here's my bare-bones sketch. No shading or folds yet. The lid looks a little off-kilter somehow, but I'm not really sure what's wrong with it, maybe too small? The pot and apple shapes look okay to me - - but I won't take it any farther until I hear from teacher/subs/sub-subs, etc. Are the elipses okay? I'm still a little unsure about those - they tend to be fatter on one side than the other. The straight line practice is paying off, especially the turning-the-paper part.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2004/23460-apple_pot_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_bulb.gif

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 02:08 AM
Still an insomniac... :(

CJ,
The lid should be a simple fix. Look at Blah's post (#80). He had broken the project down into its shapes. START with your centerline.
The lid is comprised of two shapes. A squat cylinder and a cone with a rounded top. Put the two together and you will have it. Round off where they meet. Add a bottom lip to the lid.
See attached example. Ignore the funny line at the handle's left side going out from the lid. Error at 2:00AM.

Your ellipse at the base of the pot looks good to me. I cannot tell about the lids ellipse. That one needs to be a more narrow ellipse then the base ellipse.

The lid handle needs some straightening.

Remember, this exercise is not about necessarily duplicating Stoy's pot, but getting the correct shapes.

And most importantly-don't forget to 'turn to pot a hair to catch the inside of the lid.' :D

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 06:42 AM
Morning,
Just a reminder to rate JayD's thread please.

bjcpaints
12-08-2004, 06:59 AM
Hi! Just stopping in to post Step 1 of the mid term. Be back later to check in.
Barbara

sultry
12-08-2004, 08:18 AM
Good Morning everyone :wave: ,

Judi yup I am here ( takes subbie stick ) :)

Oh I am using a kind of water color paper, I like how the texture looks. First time ever using wc paper but it sure makes a difference.

Mary I am glad I did not confuse you, & ty for wanting to see my daughter' s pic.

CJ, wow very good in portion & I think Judi covered the lid correction to a T.

Barb, same for you very nice portioned but take a look at the lid correction Judi and Blah have demostrated, it will make your lid look even more like the ref pic. Remember to break down the ref pic and look at negative space to draw it. :)

edited to add....Oh and do not forget to add that personal touch, Barb and CJ, post it before you actually start to shade in the lines. :)

idcrisis55
12-08-2004, 08:36 AM
Just stopping in to say hi and see all the hard work everyone is doing. Maybe tomorrow I can begin, right now I am painting the glass that was in the cats drawing I posted.

Just want to let you know, I'm learning a lot from all of you, looking at your drawings and reading all the comments/suggestions, etc. I'd give each one of you a mentor point if I could :D, but today's goes to Judi, and tomorrow's to Sultry, for doing such a great job subbing! These are for all of you, classmates, subs and teacher!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
12-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Thank you, subs! You caught me trying to duplicate the photo, which is why the lid is not right. And I did forget to 'turn to pot a hair,' will have to give that some thought. :evil:

I haven't decided yet how to personalize it, but am thinking of a book behind the apple, which may get smaller and move a bit. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_apple.gif

sultry
12-08-2004, 08:55 AM
:wave: hiyas Ann,
Ohhh I can't wait to see the cat painting is it the one with the crystal bell? & TY for the clapssss :)

CJ, lol ya got caught :D, I think a book would be very good, just remember to postion it so the composition is eye appealing. :)

There is a thread for compostion to WC so take a look at it if your not sure about how to place the book in the picture.

What I like to do is first decide what I want the viewer to see.

I then take my lines to point towards it.

I have the kitty as my eye subject.

So I have changed the drapery lines to point towards him.

The Handle goes up and back down towards him.

The lid also is a cone shape that goes up and down back towards him.

as does the spout.

The apple is draped in a way to point towards him.

I hope that helped explain composition a little to you CJ. :)

Since your a wc artist you probably already know that.

Cathie Jones
12-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Well, Sultry, I never said I was a 'smart' watercolor artist! LOL :D

I do have an idea where and how I want the book, but was not thinking about 'pointing' other things toward it. There are sooooo many things to think about!

Not sure if I can draw tonight - I may have to work tonight and tomorrow night. But I can at least work on the lid and book on my lunch hour.

sultry
12-08-2004, 09:26 AM
OOps getting ahead of the class again (Sorry CJ) ignore it about the composition. You do fine, we will cover compo later on.

I just recieved an email about WC updating that could cause some complications on the site ( I am gathering that it may be hard to access at times).

If this is the case, just remember Geo shapes & what you learned to make them look that shape by the way you apply your lines.

I have printed the classes so if you have not, it may a good idea to so you can look back on notes, just incase the site is not accessible for a little bit.

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Sultry, do you need a little break? I'll be here till 1. Then back on duty at 6.
Great job. :clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
12-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Sounds good to me Judi, I do need to run to the store :) for a bit (hands subbie stick back ).

Oh I have a surprise on my pic, I added something. :)

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Looking forward to the suprise Sultry.

bjcpaints
12-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Yeah! All you lurkers join in - it's fun and only hurts a little!!
[[/IMG]
I agree Cathie! PS I love all your little animations - so cute.
Barbara

bjcpaints
12-08-2004, 12:23 PM

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Barb, :wave:
You project is looking good. Just the lid correction. I am only refering to the lid shape. If you desire to have it sit forward as it does in the reference, that's OK. This is about making the shape correct.

Ann, :wave: Good to see you! Looking forward to seeing your project!

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Please read this previous post. Thanks!

NOTE: Comments towards Jet's FAQ thread DO NOT belong in this thread! Please refrain from disscussing it here. His post in this thread slamming me for revising his FAQ thread does not belong here either!

Another note: Jet gave me his OK (via PM) when I let him know I wanted to condense the thread to just text links so people wouldn't have to wade through 9 pages of posts!! The original thread is GONE!

Future posts in this thread about this subject will be DELETED!!

Murray
-----------------------

Mary Woodul
12-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Good Morning, still where I live :cat: . Cathie and Barbara, I like your line drawings and Cathie I just love todays apple animation. The book would look good.

Ann, I hope we can see your painting, know it 's going to be awesome.

Sultry, I'm glad you metioned what you did about composition, I think I understood you more that all I have read. I have really never understood how to achieve a focal point. My thing is mixed media and not very realistic so, I am really learning quite a bit here.

Hi Judi, great subbing you, Sultry and Ann do.

I've worked a little more on this but Sultry you were so right about the smudges. I just can't seem to get the handle right and now the whole thing is all smudged up.

See you all later, got to go see about lunch, we have our big meal at noon here. :cat:

bjcpaints
12-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Your drawing looks great to me Mary! Just wanted to take the time to say so since I am here today, hanging out... shamming out at work a bit.
Barbara

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Mary,

I do not have my reading glasses on (ha-ha) and I see no smudges.
Maybe I do not understand all as aparently you and Sultry have discussed this but I think Composition is always important. We haven't covered comp, but always try to get a pleasing arrangement.

Are you saying you cannot lift some of your lines to correct? That happens to everyone. That is why it is important to have your shapes right and light B4 you start to enhance your drawing.

Cathie Jones
12-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Mary, I like your drawing, too - the apple is looking great.

Barbara, when this class is over I have every hope of seeing my picture in the yearbook under the heading "Class Clown." :cat:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/23460-z_clown__flowers.gif

JayD
12-08-2004, 12:55 PM
composition has already been more or less decided in this excercise except for the part where you are individualizing the pieces. That being said, compositon is a footpath that your eyes follow through the image--a composition immediately draws you to a starting point and leads you to an end. Keep that in mind when adding your additonal part. We will be cover composition later on so stay tuned. Judi and CJ: Back to YOU :D

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 12:59 PM
And now we return to Subbie Sultry. :clap: :clap:

Sorry Sultry, but I got to get back to work, or I will have no money to by pencils!

sultry
12-08-2004, 01:13 PM
ok Judi see ya later :)

LOL CJ, now I know what CJ stands for ~Clowing Jokster~ :D

Oh Mary I think you understood compo ( you set the glasses down where the pot bottom seems to point towards them and then the glasses lead you to the apple too which leads you back to the glasses. Which leads the eye to the pot.

I too do not see the smudges but I will take your word for it that they are there. :)

Tip...

I went to the dollar store and found a little plastic ruler that has a roller hooked to it. This has worked wonders on preventing me from smudging my work.

Sorry Jay I did not mean to rush the class. Bad subbie ; Bad subbie

JayD
12-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Sultry--no Good Subbie, Good Subbie--I look at those comments as "teasers"--previews of coming attractions. :D Later. :)

sultry
12-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Thats good to know...would hate to be asked to step down from my first subbie teaching experience. LOL, even before I am supposed to really be subbing classes .... portraits ; hands & feet. :wink2:

Blah
12-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Sultry, Mary and Judi... thank you for commenting on my preliminary sketch.

Jay, that is a very lovely example of posting each stage :clap:

Gina, your drawing is coming along beautifully and the apple already looks terrific. I don't think the quality of your pencils is holding you back. Maybe you may have to put in some extra work to get the best out of them, but you seem to be doing it and I am sure your drawing will be an outstanding one.

Michelle, excellent work :clap: you have captured the shapes, textures, contours and highlights extremely well. And it is also personalised very well. I agree with Sultry that you should work on it some more to increase the range of values which will make it truly outstanding.

Judi...your drawing is coming along nicely. I thought you would have taken it farther by now, but I guess both you and Sultry must have been quite busy standing in for Jay.

Sultry, I see that you too are making slow progress for obvious reasons, and that you have changed the folds deliberately to redirect our eyes. But somehow the way the fabric is draping/folding looks slightly overworked and unnatural to me. I like the introduction of the kitten but I hope you will include the whole apple and in particular the shiny side of the apple :)

Cathie your bare-bones sketch looks fine except for the right half of the lid. Judy's sketch (#110) and mine (#80) show how it can be easily corrected. I see that you have got the rest of the shapes (sphere, cones, ellipses, etc) firmly under control and perfectly mirrored (wherever appropriate) around the central reference line.

Incidentally I would include you in the class yearbook, not as the class clown but as the "Class Animator".

Barbara...nice sketch (step 1) but I think the lid should be corrected a little bit, unless you deliberately wish to change it a little from the reference picture as part of your personalisation.

Mary, your drawing is beautifully done :clap: and at this stage is looking very delicate. I can see that it is going to be terrific. Incidentally I thought at first that it was Gina's work and then apart from it being your post, I noticed that it had been personalised differently.

I had hoped to progress my drawing quite a bit today, but ended up with no time at all to draw. Hope to make up tomorrow.

Blah

Blah
12-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Dave...you must have completed your 1:00pm assignment by now. How is your assignment for this class coming along? :D

Blah

sultry
12-08-2004, 01:50 PM
hi Blah :wave:

I am sorry you did not get time to work on your piece. :(

Thank you for the C & C on my work, I hope to make the drapery come together soon. I am sorry about the apple being covered up but I wanted to give a cozy feeling to the picture and being that it is a metal cold pot and a shiny apple sitting next to the kitten, I wanted portray the cuddling even more. So I draped the fabric over my apple as to show a little more coziness.

Tell you what I will sketch an apple all alone just for you later. :D

Blah
12-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Tell you what I will sketch an apple all alone just for you later. :D

Wow....thanks :D
Blah

sultry
12-08-2004, 02:04 PM
yw lol, one shiney naked apple will be posted your way after this class project... Ha Ha I have so many unfinished things on my desk..
selfportrait, cougar... but I promise I will get that apple to yah ;)

Besides, all this drawing is such great practice for me.

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Sultry,
I cut out a couple minutes early tonite. :angel:
Your relief is here. :D

sultry
12-08-2004, 05:36 PM
great :) Glad to have ya back. (hands subbie stick back) :D

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Evening Everybody,
Hope to get some posts this evening. :D :D :D

Blah, :wave: If you aren't done...no ribbing Judi subbie she's not! :D

Dave, WHERE ARE YOU????? :confused:

Ann, :wave: I also would like to see you painting! Please try to post it when you are done. :)

Cathie, You are definatley the Class Clown Animator for sure! I know we all enjoy it immensely! :clap:

sultry
12-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi Judi I am still online keeping ya company :wave:

We lost Dave ????? :confused:

Yeah lets see updates of everyones WIP agrees with Judi.

Also where is Subway??? & Connie I saw your beautiful pot & apple in the other thread so have you decided upon a personal item yet????

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Yes, I saw your light on.

Dave has been gone for a day or so. I last talked to him Crazy Monday I believe. :(

I saw Connie's post too. Quiet impressive! :clap: :clap:

Subway is MIA too! :(

Too quiet here tonight. :(

BTW, Where's your post Sultry? :wink2:

sultry
12-08-2004, 07:37 PM
lol, I will post it soon promise, I am trying to fix the kitty's eye before I post it.

Right now it looks drunk. ha ha

& where's yours sub teach?

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Working on it sub teach. :D My desk is in the next room. I come in and refresh the screen evey ten minutes or so. I hope to post tonite, but not sure yet.

Cathie Jones
12-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Hi Guys! I'm still at work for a few minutes (you'd never know it, would you?), but I think I may not have to work for DH tonight, so I can try to fix that lid. At lunch I made the apple smaller - it was waaaaay too big.

BBL . . . http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_run.gif

JayD
12-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi, Guys--how is it going tonite? This is wednesday so people are probably scriblbing away somewhere. We should see some postings real soon. I am very impressed with the output so far.

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Hey CJ! :wave: Did you eat some of the apple? lol I like the little hurdler.(sp?)

Evening Boss, I hope you are right!

Fireman's kid
12-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi Gang! Lots going on here in the last few days. Subs are doing well I see and most class members are behaving themselves. Was it Dave who was causing the trouble on Monday? Maybe he is still in the principal's office? :D

Jay said...
This is wednesday so people are probably scribbling away somewhere.

I wish that was true!! But, nope, I'm just taking a break from getting the Christmas decorations up to catch up on the reading. I really hope to at least start my project this week.

The good news is that I did some sketching for a few Christmas presents last night (I'm making small (2" x 3") framed watercolors to give as ornaments) and noticed a lot of spheres, cylinders and cones. Being part of this class really helped. Might someday post my sketches under the appropriate lessons. Just wanted to let you all know that even though I am behind I am still finding this class super helpful and I am still drawing something.

Well, back to the decorating. I'm only about half done and I'd really like to get in bed before midnight! :o

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Hey Stacy!
We actually lost Dave. :( lol And yes he certainly helped things along!!Funny he is! :D

Awww, don't you want to post one thing to show us? :( You are very talented. :D I am still in awe of your house commission! :clap: :clap:

Happy decorating!

Mary Woodul
12-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Hi All :wave:, Barbara thank you for your comment, it is always nice to hear from you.
Hi Judi, yes, I think I'm beginning to learn about what pencils are harder to erase also. I'm glad you didn't see the smudges, I didn't either because the glasses were in the painting but I know they are there.

Thanks Cathie, and I agree with Blah, you make the day for all of us.

Hey Sultry, I hadn't seen the drawing that way, that's pretty neat. That little ruler is just what I need. BTW Do you still need help subbing in the morning? I can't give much drawing advice but I can tell when something is wrong.
Thank you Blah, that was really a compliment if you thought it was Gina's. I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

Hi JayD, hope to work on mine a little more tonight :D

See you guys later!!!!

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Mary, :wave:

Keep a clean paper under your hand to avoid smearing the graphite. (Opps, I know I said that earlier). I tape paper over areas at times. It really helps.

How did JayD do this all by himself????

Maybe it is a good idea to have two people (or more) taking shifts. I know this week is working out w/ 'Sub and Subber'. lol
What do you think JayD?

BTW everyone, we are just joking about losing Dave!

Mary Woodul
12-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Mary, :wave:

Keep a clean paper under your hand to avoid smearing the graphite. (Opps, I know I said that earlier). I tape paper over areas at times. It really helps.

How did JayD do this all by himself????

Maybe it is a good idea to have two people (or more) taking shifts. I know this week is working out w/ 'Sub and Subber'. lol
What do you think JayD?

That's a good idea Judi, what do you tape with? You and Sultry are doing a great job and I really don't know how you do it ,JayD. Another round of applauses for you :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Mary,
Masking tape. I place the tape outside of the project area. Also what works even nicer than paper is tracing paper, as you can still see your work!!
Thanks

sultry
12-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Hiya Gang,

Ohhhh wow Stacy pleassssssssssssssse purty please post something we love your work. :wave:

Hey Mary, yeah that would be great if you could sub sub for me I am not going to be home till after 11 am or maybe later. So any help is great. :)

Yes, paper works good too but this little ruler is so !~KAV~! I mean it. It rolls up and down with my wrist as I sketch in my lines.

Ok, Judi since your dying to see a post I will post mine as I soon as upload it.

Remember not to laugh too hard my kitty's eyes. (Where's Mike Sibley when you need him????) lol j/k Mike if you lurk in this thread (but if you are,,,, please jump in anytime).

Mary Woodul
12-08-2004, 09:22 PM
We're waiting :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
Oh goody goody a post with a suprise!!!! :clap: :D

I think one of my kids has one of those rulers. I'll have to check it out (if I can find it).

Just realized I'll be a Vet with three stars in a couple of days.

Waiting, Waiting......

Mary Woodul
Thank you Judi, sorry. :D

sultry
12-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Ok you guys I am sorry but I tried to take a pic of this with the digital camera because the scanner is not big enough ( by the way my boyfreind said I could hang this in the kitchen when I am done with it) :) I am glad he said that, it shows he likes it.

After I figure out how to use the camera better I will be posting better pics.

g7i7n7a
12-08-2004, 10:08 PM
That IS ADORABLE.!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

too awesome, Sultry! definitely hangable.! and you have a distinct style in your drawing. too cool.
man, that must have taken alot of time....
very well done. :clap:

gina

both you and Judi doing and bang-up job today, :clap:
but it sure is quiet.eh? (Canadian)

sultry
12-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks Gina & where is your WIP ???? :confused: It helps us to see where you are and helps you too. :)

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Ahhhhh....Great Suprise! They are adorable!! I love the one coming out of the pot.
I am really speechless on this suprise. I wasn't really sure what to expect.

Looks like you need to work some more on the fabric but all in all, coming along great.

Try taking your pic in the daylight. We will be able to see better. Did you have the flash on? I think it makes it hard to see the fur detailing.
But still Sultry, I can see you have made a lot of progress!

Where did you get the great idea to open the lid? :D

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Hey Gina :wave: I thought I saw you out in the forum! :D

sultry
12-08-2004, 10:18 PM
thx Judi,

Yeah I got tired of the fabric and went on to the pot then the apple then the kitty. I had the kitty idea to have it come out of the pot b4 but decided I would do the one lying down.

After I started this I thought why not just put them both in and still keep the compositon going by aiming the top kitty's eyes to the bottom kitty.

I saw your lid off (lol) and decided I liked the look. ha ha

Mary Woodul
12-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Sultry that is so cute, the kitties look so cuddly and active like kitties really are. I think it is very keen of you to have done that. :clap: :clap:

sultry
12-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Awe ty Mary, I just love cats, dogs umm horses lol roosters and ferrets.

Ohhh and big cats .... the only big cat I have tho is my stuffed tiger lol he has been with me for umpteen years.

<47 yr old baby that never grew up. ha ha

edited to addd....

Well good night everyone I have to be up early tomorrow be back tomorrow afternoon so Judi see ya latz

g7i7n7a
12-08-2004, 10:39 PM
ok, you two :(

This is not great. still challenging. in the scan I can see all the hard lines on the folds, I know I'm not doing it right. and I dont' like that monk thing , might change that if I'm still motivated. I have the same struggle as you do Sultry, if I'm not into something I find it hard. Ashamedly,I think that 's partly based on whether the drawing is turning out well or not.

I like the effect of your paper, it makes it look like textured fabric.

ok, ladies - hit me with you best shot :music:
gina :)
I've been trying to follow ones from the wde, deepat's sure captured the metal look. trying to learn from them, as well.

One thing I have to learn is patience, I didnt' know drawing took so much time. how long did your drawing take, Sultry?

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Sultry,
Again, Great job. Forgot the applause, sorry.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

g7i7n7a
12-08-2004, 11:10 PM
I'm just off to bed, Judi.
but if you have any advice for me, I will check tomorrow. I need all the help I can get.
:)
thankyou muchly, for subbing. :clap: It is a huge job, isnt' it. glad Jayd is getting a break. ( or is he done for good???) Your suggestion of shifts sounds like a good idea.

Have a good night.
ps, how's your drawing coming? hope to see it tomorrow.

and good night to all the lurkers, you know who you are....

Judi1957
12-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Gina,
This is coming along so well! I'll give a couple of C & C's but...

Your little boy will be so pleased to see his gift in his Mom's picture. It really is to cherish, mark my word. (I am a teary Mom). My kids (Maggie 19, Luke 22 & Matt 24) still see their things they gave me or made for me in the china cabinet and around and I know they are pleased.

I love the apple, your drawing has a lovely softness to it.
I think maybe you might want to soften the pot and create a smooth transition between the darks and the lights. Some highlights too. Is your lightsource the same as Stoy's reference?, Check that out.
Add some more value to the spout.
I know you know you need to do the brush(?) and spatula(?) so I won't bother with that..
Are those Hersheys kisses? Mmmmm.
The fabric and folds are tough. Smudging with your finger or a Q-Tip will get rid of the appearance of sections. You probably were already going to do that. There is a post 'Draped Cloth' you may want to look at. I think it helps. To a study on the side. Practice b4 you put it on your good drawing.
Challenge is what it is all about, moving forward. You certainly are. As JayD said..If I read it right..and I am sure I did... you have the hands of an angel. :angel:

Great progress! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Gina...I would certainly think JayD needs a break!!

I am tired too, going to bed. Had two 1/2 hours sleep last night. I am dragging.

Just a reminder to all to post your finished project in Stoy's Weekly Thread.

Cathie Jones
12-08-2004, 11:35 PM
WOW Sultry! You're doing such a good job, and what a wonderful surprise!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_1_ribbon.gif
I like kitties, too, but have 2 dogs and 2 birds right now. Oh, and 8 koi, but they're hibernating for the winter.

Okay, I'm getting back to work for a few minutes, then to bed. Too soon to scan the WIP so here's a verbal pic: I've made the apple smaller, fixed the lid and the lid handle and changed the spout just a little; added and removed a book . . . 3 times (remember the 'P' word from an earlier lesson?). Trying to think of something else to personalize it . . . something really simple that a newbie can handle.

See y'all in the morning.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_get_in_bed.gif

g7i7n7a
12-08-2004, 11:54 PM
hahaha,
cute animation, Cathie.:clap:

mothsailor
12-09-2004, 05:32 AM
Awww, you missed me! That's so sweet. :) 'Fraid you don't get rid of me that easily!! Just been a hectic few days at work. Should be working now, actually, but I won't tell anyone if you won't. :wink2:

You subbies have been doing a great job, keeping those trouble-makers in line! :evil: :clap: :clap:

There's just so much wonderful work been done while I've been away that I'm a bit intimidated! Also, there's too much to go back through and comment...I'm embarassed, but hope you won't be too cross with me. :o

Anyway, I finally got started! Here's my first sketchy line drawing. In case you're wondering, the thing behind the apple is a photo-frame. I do plan to put something in it, but thought I would keep you in suspense for a bit longer!

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 06:36 AM
Morning All,

Over slept.

Hey there lost sailor! :wave: We are glad your back! :D You were missed :crying: , lotta talk about you! :D
I am having a hard time seeing your post. But It looks good from what I made out. Maybe later you can post another?

Going to get coffee....

I see you out there Sultry...did you sleep well? Ready for another day?

Mary Woodul
12-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Good morning Dave!, I'm subbing for Sultry just this morning for a while. We have missed you. :cat: Your line drawing looks pretty good to me. I'm going off to a Pilates class at 6:00 but will be back in an hour.
Wow Judi, good morning you beat me and I thought I got here early. See ya in an hour. :wave:

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 06:44 AM
Morning Mary,
Another Sub! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sorry I'm late...hope this is not an indication of my day.... :(

sultry
12-09-2004, 06:45 AM
Good Morning A/all,

Ok I was up at 4 AM Judi and I erased all of the bottom kitty because I hated it lol.

Anyways, Dave we sure did miss yah, now down to biz, your pic is soooo darn light :(
But what from I can see is that you have more work to do in the line sketch ( I know what you can produce). :)

So look at this quote Blah did for CJ and I think it applies to your drawing too. We do not want a fast sketch ( Remember this is our midterm, so it is very important to make the geo shapes of the ref pic. Take all you learned in the prior classes and apply it to this midterm. Give us your best Dave.

Cathie your bare-bones sketch looks fine except for the right half of the lid. Judy's sketch (#110) and mine (#80) show how it can be easily corrected. I see that you have got the rest of the shapes (sphere, cones, ellipses, etc) firmly under control and perfectly mirrored (wherever appropriate) around the central reference line.

ok, done scolding :angel:

but it is good to have yah back :wave:

edited because I need coffee too, then I got to get ready & go

Good Morning Mary :wave: Thank you so much for doing this see you A/all latz

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 06:48 AM
Sultry,
4 AM! :(
Erased your kitty? I did not know you were unhappy with him. Why did you hate him?

sultry
12-09-2004, 06:51 AM
lol Judi he looked to cartoonish and I want realistic. Believe me you will like him better when I post him tonight. Oh and top one is erased too. :p

mothsailor
12-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Thanks everyone! You're right about the right of the lid sults, which I saw as soon as I looked at it on the screen...I guess that works a bit like the mirror trick...and have alread corrected, I think. Also the elipses on the lid were way off!

I'll try to put a more visible drawing up later...i'm hoping to get a scanner for my birthday (in 10 days time -- hint, hint :wink2: -- don't ask how old I'll be!! :( ) so that should improve quality of images, until then i have to use a digital camera that doesn't always give good results.

Pilates so early in the morning!! Very impressive...maybe I'll get to the gym later... :angel: ... maybe...

:wave:

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 06:57 AM
Ummmm the top one too? They were coming along so well! But if you are not happy, that's what you gotta do.

I do have to run now, have to leave in less than a half hour, and I'm not ready yet.

I have some work to do out of the office today and am not sure I can get to my desk at noon. I'll make it up to you if I don't get back on time, when I can! :angel: Work, work, work.... :(

mothsailor
12-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Here's a progress report...

Hope this is a bit more visible. Any comments gratefully received! I'm not very happy with the texture of the pot, I find shiny surfaces really hard!

Mary Woodul
12-09-2004, 08:51 AM
I like the texture of the pot Dave, think you are getting a shine in it. The only thing I see a little off, is the bottom front edge of the pot I don't know if the elipses is to wide and in your first line sketch, I see after I've had my coffee and Pilates, that the pot looks a little slanted to the front. I know what you mean about seeing things once they are on the screen, it happens to me all the time. I am no expert Dave and am just learning also so once the good subs come back they will comment on the pot. :cat:

sultry
12-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Ok I have to run out the door hugs Mary glad your at the Helm & wow Dave it looks alot better. I will have to critique when I get back I am running late :(

Anyways, Gina asked for help on drapes values so here is a lil chart I made this morning. (Sorry Gina I could not figure out how to send via pm).
have a great Morn Mary and everyone else.

bjcpaints
12-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Cathie (CJ), I'm waiting for you to fix the lid of your pot so I can fix mine.

I can't see it well enough apparently to know where I went wrong. To me, in the reference pic, it still looks askew and that's the way I drew it. I HATE getting stuck. :crying:
This is what happened to me halfway throught the Betty Edwards book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". The bookmark is still in there and the book sits idle on my piano bench. :confused: I hate feeling like a doodah. :( I was really hoping Mr. DeReyna was going to be a kinder, gentler course. Someone please help! I can't fail my mid-term. I'm too old to start over! :mad:
Barbara

sultry
12-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Barb don't painic I will help you when I get back ok? I really do got to run now. :wave:

Mary Woodul
12-09-2004, 10:15 AM
lol Judi he looked to cartoonish and I want realistic. Believe me you will like him better when I post him tonight. Oh and top one is erased too. :p
Awe Sultry the kitties were so cute, but I know the others will be too. :D

sultry
12-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Hey Mary I am back now but please do sub if you like, with me :) unless you need to do something.

Yeah I needed to change the kittys to look a little more realistic.

About the messy chart I posted, sorry it came out too light and I scribbled it this morning before I left.

If anyone needs to know what I wrote just ask. :)

I was trying to show how the values change in your line strokes by pressing the pencil hard to gradual lift off the paper (lol like a plane taking off from the airport not a helicopter) you want to run the pencil down the runway and then gradually lift off.

~~Think of the heavy 747 on the runway (Press pencil)~~
~~Think of the 747 getting lighter as it takes off (Gradual lift pencil)~~
~~Think of the 747 wheels closing coming up off ground touching ground feather light as they lift off (Barely glide pencil)~~

If you do it one way then do it back the other way it will blend out in both ways. and not show a hard line but a gradual change in value, the effect shows darkest to lightest by blending into other values with out seeing blocks of values.

I hope that helps you Gina if does not, just let me know either on the thread or in pm does not matter, I will answer either or. :)

Barb have you changed your drawing since you last posted? If you have, could you please post the update so I can help you.

Mary Woodul
12-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Hi Barbara, :wave: sorry I left my desk a couple of minutes but one of my sons stopped by for coffee before going to work.

I like your line drawing, I don't know if your talking about the latch thing that connects to the lid. I had a terrible time with the handle, but I think that, that little thing slants at an angle from the lid to the handle and the lid in the picture is flatter on the right that on the left ; maybe that is what throws us off.

Mary Woodul
12-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Hiya Sultry, and I hadn't seen you were back. That chart you posted is very helpful I had no idea about the shading being darker depending on the right and left side. I'll be around here checking if you need help. I have some workers digging up my back yard because our house is built on the bottom of a hill on rocky ground and this year it rained so much that there is still water filtering into my back yard and it drowned my azaleas. So they're putting in some kind of drain so that won't happen again. :(

sultry
12-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Well Mary we can't have drowned azaleas. =(
The Light & Dark education, will be covered later on (lol oops getting ahead again).

I really never went to school for art ( I read alot of books).

but what I was trying to do was show her how to make her curtains look like they come out to you and go back in the background.

Ok, well go ahead and do what you need to, I am here till Judi relieves me. :)

sultry
12-09-2004, 11:25 AM
One thing I have to learn is patience, I didnt' know drawing took so much time. how long did your drawing take, Sultry?

Sorry Gina just saw this...

hmmm I think I spent a good 8 hours on it yesterday. I really do not remember how long on Tuesday. Monday practically no time at all because I had alot of office work to do. All together in the 3 days, so far, I could of spend 16 to 20 hours on it. lol

Cathie Jones
12-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi 101ers!

Barbara, I'm sorry - if I had known you were waiting I would have posted last night. I'm at work now, so it'll be late before I can scan and post. HOWEVER, here's what I did:

I printed Stoy's close-ups from the weekly thread so I could see the handle on top of the lid more clearly. I had already enlarged Jet's improved photo so I could see how the side handle was attached.

I made sure the center line extended up through the lid, adjusted the left side up to the center line, then turned the paper upside down and corrected the other side to match.

Then I fixed the handle on top of the lid and eyeballed the whole thing to make sure it looked right. Hope that helps!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_eyeball.gif
I have to work tonight, tomorrow night and Saturday for DH, and will be out of town again Sunday . . . but will fit this in as best I can to try to get it done on time.

I did get my 'personalization' sketched and am ready to trace the whole thing and transfer it to good paper. :D

sultry
12-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Barb I took a close up of your lid and the ref pic for you to see what we mean.

Let me know if this helps.

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 12:13 PM
H-E-L-L-0 Sultry,
Just got in. Looks as if you have been a busy bee!
:clap: :clap:

sultry
12-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Hiyas Judi, :wave:
Nahh lol just catching up on prior posts is all :angel:

<<has a bad habit of rushing the class :evil: (spoke of Light & Dark)

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Sults,

Like your chart. I see you are addressing light source. :D

I think addressing lights to darks is quite appropriate. Good job!

Just want to mention that you can also do your darks to lights another way. Actually it's how I do it (may be wrong but it works for me). I make my lines with consistant pressure thru the complete line, move over a hair and do it again, and again, and again - lifting up pressure as I move away from the darks. You can then work your way back to the darks by adding more pressure. The results I believe would be the same. I'm going to try it your way to compare, your way may be better for me. Always looking for a better way!

sultry
12-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Oh that is the 2nd stage for me lol when I want to accentuate it darker.

I just showed them this as to how to start out. I did not want to confuse them more than I have already.

but glad you explained that, because that is what I did on ball that looks like it is growing hair in the left hand bottom corner of the chart. :)

( I use both methods )

bjcpaints
12-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Sultry,
I'm sorry. I'm more confused than ever now. I have to go back and look at what you told me was wrong with my drawing in the first place.
Barbara

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 12:27 PM
And that would be a hairball.......

sultry
12-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Barb your not to far off on the lid. See the cone of the lid? Do you see it bends in places where your drawing of it does not? See not that much difference.

edited to add.....

* Take a look at the bottom rim of the ref pic, see how it curves as an upside down U.
* Take a look at your bottom rim drawing, see how you have a rightside up "U" curve ? This is completely opposite than the picture.

Now just look at each edge of the lid on the ref pic & then go back to your drawing taking one little section at a time and compare them.

mothsailor
12-09-2004, 12:32 PM
The only thing I see a little off, is the bottom front edge of the pot I don't know if the elipses is to wide and in your first line sketch,

You're right! Thanks for the tip. :clap:

Are you the substitute for the substitute's substitute?

sultry
12-09-2004, 12:35 PM
lol Dave, yah

Blah
12-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Hello everyone! I have a particularly bad internet connection today and I am keeping my fingers crossed, hoping I can get this post out. The connection keeps breaking up and right now it is so slow that I am not able to download and look at your drawings.

Sultry, one of the earlier connections today was ok for a while and I managed to look at your drawing. It's very interesting with not one, but two kittens, most of the apple :) and the paper's texture definitely adding to the overall effect.

Gina...I too have this problem of not being able to draw unless I am motivated to do so by the subject. This used to be a huge problem earlier but I seem to be getting over it now.

Your drawing has the potential to be both very good and also very interesting. You just need to keep working at it and increase the range of tonal values.

Dave, welcome back. I am sorry, but I could not download and look at your drawing. I did see the thumbnails and your second one looks as though the drawing is shaping up well.

Barbara, I saw / heard your cry for help and much as I would like to go back and take a look at your drawing, today's connection speed makes it impractical. I will definitely do so the next time I have a decent connection but by then I think you would have sorted it out.

I have not had any time yet to draw this week (except for my preliminary sketch which only took a few minutes), and I still haven't figured out what to do to personalise the composition. I hope to start tomorrow evening and finish over the weekend.

Some of the posts in the Weekly Drawing Thread, and in this thread too for that matter, are so very good that it is quite intimidating (Dave's words?).

Blah

sultry
12-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi Blah :wave:

So sorry to hear about your internet problem :(

We do miss your good C & C and hope you can get back to us soon.

Yeah I have 2 kittys now (lol they are multiplying).

Yes Dave said that when he came back to us. I too find that comment hard to believe coming from him. :confused:

<In suspense of your WIP Blah hopefully you can work on it tonight.

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Hey Blah, :wave:

Sultry, I'll be back at 6:00. :wave:

sultry
12-09-2004, 12:58 PM
ok Judi see you then :wave:

mothsailor
12-09-2004, 01:16 PM
OK sub, sub's sub, sub's sub's sub or anyone else out there (I'm beginning to think I'm the only person here who isn't someone's sub!)...here is the third thrilling installment! I think the bottom of the pot is better thanks to Mary, but there's still something wrong with it on the right. I had to use flash to take this cos it's dark here now, so that's why some of it looks weird...it's the reflection of the flash on the shiny graphite.

Cathie Jones
12-09-2004, 01:32 PM
And that would be a hairball.......

. . . and what did you expect with 2 kitties in the pic??? . . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/23460-cat_on_fence.gif

Sultry, was it you that said you worked on a drawing for 8 hours yesterday? I'm so impressed . . . I'm luck to get 20-30 minutes at a time. Once in a while, a whole hour, but that's pretty rare.

mothsailor
12-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Sultry, was it you that said you worked on a drawing for 8 hours yesterday? I'm so impressed . . . I'm luck to get 20-30 minutes at a time. Once in a while, a whole hour, but that's pretty rare.

CJ, I'd say it was very impressive that you produce such wonderful drawings in so little time!

I have to work tonight, tomorrow night and Saturday for DH

What's DH? :confused:

g7i7n7a
12-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Good Morning Everyone,
Thankyou JUdi and Sultry, kudos to you both for your generosity in subbing! It's great to have you working as ateam, getting imput from you both benefits us all the more :clap:

I am going to have to go back and re-read your instructions, I have a systematic learning bent, so I get discombobulated if i loose order then it takes a little longer to sink in. (please don't banish me to special ed class) :crying:
then I feel like a DOODAH (luv that, Barb. laugh everytime I read it)

The chart is alittle hard for me to read, if emailing would give me a better close-up, I would love to take a closer look at it, (only if it's not too much trouble.)

Blah, thanks for your,comments, hope your connection gets corrected, we'll wait for u.

Dave, Mary, Cathie Have a great day, look forward to your wips

(did I forget anyone... OH JUdi, thankyou so much for your kind words and your encouragement, I appreciate that (Judi) this still means hug, right?
sorry this is so long
HI Lurkers.
Hi Jayd,
Jet, hope your feeling better, sorry about your thread :(

bjcpaints
12-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi Gina :wave: Oh, You must be familiar with the Doodah man. LOL
I am such an old hippie.
Sultry, I went to the "other" thread on this reference and took a look at what some people over there are doing. Tonight when I get home if I get a chance I will compare mine. Probably best just to erase the blessed top and start over or as some are doing leave it off completely and fill the pot with flowers or something. Thanks for your input.
Barbara
Note to Dave: DH = dear husband

idcrisis55
12-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi Everyone :wave: ,

I haven't had a chance yet to look at anyone's work or read the threads. Just wanted you to know I finished the cat/glass painting and it is different than the drawing. Now that I did the painting I can see how far off I was in the drawing. Also, in the painting you will see I leaned the tall cat in the opposite direction.

I have to say it is thanks to this class that made me more aware of shapes and form which helped me paint that faceted glass. Jay I am in your debt for starting this class!

I won't post the painting but the link is Here (http://www.atreesse.com/YOP/YOP8StillLife/AnnYOP8Cats.jpg) if you want to see the painting. In real life, the colors in the cats are more saturated or brighter. Had a difficult time getting a good scan plus the image is compressed way down.

Thanks for your interest and for looking!

I'll be back to read and comment but first I just have to have a Nap!!! Getting old is quite tiring lol.

Ann

bjcpaints
12-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Wow - It is beautiful Ann! Of course the song "We are Siamese" keeps going through my head now. I think its from Lady & the Tramp?
Barbara

mothsailor
12-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Ann, That's lovely work, even with the limitations you mention. Very impressive glass!

sultry
12-09-2004, 02:34 PM
wow I step away from the computer a lil bit and everyone comes in lol.

Hiyas CJ, Barb, Gina, Ann & Dave :wave:

Ann that is beautiful and love the colors you picked :)

lol What a coincident Barb, I was singing the Lady & Tramp song to my adopted twin grandbabies this morning (bf daughter had twins).

Ok Dave look at the bottom right of your pot in a key hole type of cup of your hand then look at the ref pic. the same way. Or draw a circle on piece of card board ( use a pad of paper cardboard back) then cut it out. Look at the parts of the drawing that do not look to right to you. Go back to ref pic and look at them. If this still does not help. Look at ref pic upside down and then at your drawing upside down. If you look at it in negative space instead of as an object it helps. :)

Gina I will try to make the chart clearer for you.

Barb did you need more help?

Hope I did not miss anything

edited to add ... ohhh I meant bf's daughter had twins boy & girl, they will be 3 this mth. :)

Cathie Jones
12-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Ann, your cats and crystal are gorgeous! I can see how the shapes practice helped with the crystal, and I really like the way the cats lean into each other.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/23460-Smiley_Applause.gif

Mary Woodul
12-09-2004, 03:49 PM
You're right! Thanks for the tip. :clap:

Are you the substitute for the substitute's substitute?
Ha,ha, yes that's the way it went Dave, not for long Sultry came back very soon. Sultry and Judi, those are both good explanations.

Ann, those are gorgeous cats, I can't believe the reflection on the table, How did you get that shine? I love the cats expression. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sorry I didn't read all the posts I'll go back and read them I just caught Dave's comment and it made laugh so I answered right away with out reading the rest. Good afternoon everybody. :wave:

sultry
12-09-2004, 03:52 PM
:wave: Afternoon Mary :) are the flowers going to survive???

Mary Woodul
12-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Oh no, they're gone Sultry, they're trying to solve the filtering problem into my back yard, I'll have a lake out there if they don't :eek:

If you need a break I'll be here. :D

cmwynn
12-09-2004, 04:13 PM
For a few days, I was caught up, but took yesterday off to do some plein air painting while the weather was so good. Now I am behind by so many pages, hope to look at all them later. Lots of fun to see what each person thinks is "personal". I can copy fairly well, but am not ready to turn the kettle a little to change the lid. I added the flower. brush and pencil, as that is something I hope to be able to do by the end of this class, that is, to draw and paint from life, especially flowers but other things as well. I did the sketch first in charcoal, but need to do finished drawings in something I can erase. And I haven't a clue about composition yet, guess that shows.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/29839-Kettle_sketchxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/29839-Kettle_for_101xm.jpg

sultry
12-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Hiyas Connie :wave:

I saw your work in the other thread and it looks great :) I do like your brush and pencil they really look 3d. :) Great personal items by the way.

Flowers are hard subjects for me too. :(

We did not cover composition yet so your ok if it is not in compo. From what I am understanding.

I will wait for Jay to C & C it Connie because it looks pretty good to me.

Mary Woodul
12-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Connie, I saw your drawing over in WDT and I read what JayD said to you. I agree with him, you have a unique style and I think it is authentic and should not be changed. I love the shape of your apple, the way it flops a little and you were able to get a very good shine to your drawing. :D

sultry
12-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Gina I tried to make it visible need to work on it a little more to make sure you can read the words.

Mary Woodul
12-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Boy you went to a lot of work there. I can read it with my glasses on but the second one says invalid link when you click on it. I'm trying to shade the drapes with a 4b pencil but it sure is getting scratchy. :( :confused:

sultry
12-09-2004, 04:58 PM
ohh I deleted them off sorry want me to put it back?

Mary remember to shade with the side of the pencil lead and glide pencil no stabbing paper lol.

Mary Woodul
12-09-2004, 05:11 PM
It is good information Sultry, but your drawing is legible also. Well I can't believe my pencil sharpener just literally ate my 6b pencil. :mad:

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Evening All :wave: :wave:

Mary Woodul
12-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Hi Judi!!! :wave: :D

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Hey Mary, :wave:

Good subbing this morning fellow subberer! :D
:clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
12-09-2004, 05:43 PM
cool Mary then I will add it ...peeps can get a magnifying glass to read it I guess lol :confused:

Hiyas Judi good to have yahhh back :wave:

mothsailor
12-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Wonder what the collective noun is for a group of subbies...a schoal of subbies? A school of subbies? A shower of subbies? A brilliance of subbies? An exultation of subbies? :)

Well, no doubt things are just getting going for you people on the other side of the Atlantic, but it's time for me to go to bed. See you all tomorrow, and thanks for your help today. :wave: :clap:

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 05:54 PM
CJ, I'm waiting to see how many kittens Sultry brews up in that pot! Good thing she's not doing rabbits!
I like the cat on the fence! :D

I see we got Dave back! Nighty Nite Dave.

Gina, Thanks for the hug! :D :D

Ann, your picture is fabulous! I love the blues and glass. Well done!!!!
:clap: :clap: Hope to see you post soon! :D

Connie, Saw your post in the WDT too. Congratulations! Impressive!!!

Sultry, good to be back, thanks. :D Do you need a break?...You are tearing up this thread! Great job fellow Subbie! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
12-09-2004, 05:56 PM
A GAGGLE of subbies!!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_laugh.gif

*Sometimes if you save an attached drawing to your computer, then open it in your photo editing program it will open larger than the attachment appears in the thread . . . or you can make it larger yourself.*

Good night, Dave. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_snore.gif

L2isa2
12-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Hi Everyone :)

Gosh , just read through all the pages on this thread !! You are all so busy !!

Love all the Sub teacher this and sub teacher that and then the sub sub teacher Real COOL :clap: :clap:

I have done three drawings of this apple and pot/jug !

The first one showing the geometric shapes as I see them including balanced ellipses as I see them :evil:

The second picture is copying straight from ref pic, but not good ,proportions and folds etc ,

The third one is a completed, copy of the ref pic, with one detail different !

C&C Would be most welcome :)

Regards
Lisa

sultry
12-09-2004, 06:03 PM
nitey nite Dave :wave:

Wow Lisa you have been busy :)

Oh Judi I will take a break now and work on my midterm it was neglated all day since 4 am. lol

CJ, I love all the smileys but the cat one is !~KAV~!

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 06:10 PM
I forgot you had been up since then, Sultry :( :(
I appreciate so much you being my co-subbie!!!!!. You have been great on all your C & C, as everyone will agree.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
12-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Awe ty Judi (gives big hug)
but I am afraid I confused poor Barb she may need your help on her lid. :confused:
I am still lurking because I am waiting for a Pizza mmmmmm & d/lg good ole soul classic oldies from MNAOL.
besides working on kittys

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey there Lisa!
Good to see you!

Nice posts! I like the breakdown in number 1!

I think you could straighten out the cylinder a bit. It seems to have a curviness to it. Where the spout is it looks somewhat indented. Could just be the post.

Your reflectances look great! :clap:

On the lid, go back to post #80 on page 6 and #110 on page 8. The lid's composition is detailed there. I think that will help you correct that.

Look at your ellipse at the pot's bottom, just a little smoother curve is needed. Also at the bottom of the pot on the left side-it looks as if it is floating. Study the ref pic again and see if you can ground that area.

Your fabric and apple are looking really good! :clap: :clap: Maybe though if you look at the darkest part of the fabric above the left side of the pot-it can be smoothed out a bit. That may be the post too. You can smooth it with your finger, Q-Tip or something. There is an item which is made of rolled paper you can get at the art store. It's name escapes me. It begins with a 't' and that's all I remember. Sorry. But they work well also.

I like the adornment on the pot a lot! Is that from a piece of your cookware? :cool:

You have really captured the look of metal well!!!! :clap: :clap:

Why don't you look at those couple of things and we can check it out again later?

L2isa2
12-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi Judi,

Thank you Judi oops Subteacher :D

Those things you get in art stores I call stumpies , cause they are made of paper I think :D

I appreciate your comments and will put those things right ,over the weekend:D

Thank you :)

Regards
Lisa

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Lisa,
You are welcome. Happy drawing. You are almost there!

Signed,
Judi oops Subteacher. LOL

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
WoW!!!!
Just noticed there are over 10,000 views on Class 1!

Cathie Jones
12-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Lisa, your drawing leaves me speechless (well, almost!). I can't decide if it looks like metal or silk, but everything is so smooth!! The thing that's to die for, though, is the drapery . . . :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Hey Cathie, You a drawin'?

What is DH? Someone said Darling Husband.

Cathie Jones
12-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Hi Judi!

Me drawing? 'Tis to laugh! I'm still at work (the 'day job') and when I get home, I have to work for DH (Darling Husband). He publishes a monthly newspaper, tabloid size, usually 60-some pages, that deals with dixieland jazz and ragtime, and what's going on in those worlds (festivals, bands, etc.). It's deadline week, so I'll be doing paste-up with him tonight, tomorrow night, and at least part of Saturday. I'll try to get some work done on my drawing, though. I did get it traced and the outlines transferred to clean paper on my lunch hour today.

The good news is that PageMaker class is over, so that frees up my Monday nights, and no more full day of homework on the weekend. The better news is that we don't publish a Feb. issue, so January is pretty much mine. The excellent news is that we plan to start using PageMaker with the Feb. issue, so there won't be any more standing at a light table to do the paste-up. Doesn't relieve me of the job, just makes it easier.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_newspaper.gif

. . . . and you thought I was just another pretty face . . . . :evil:

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Doing-paste up with him tonite, tomorrow and the next?????.....toooo much information! :evil: :wink2:

That's where you got your interest in Opera too? Sounds like you are a real busy gal (in more ways than one!) ha-ha :wink2:

We all know you are much more than a pretty face!!!!

I need some posts! My mind is wandering as you can see.....

Cathie Jones
12-09-2004, 07:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_devil.gif

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 08:00 PM
ROTFLOL!!!!!

Judi1957
12-09-2004, 08:09 PM
CJ,
Thank-you so much for visiting. That made my nite! LOL LOL LOL

The snorting devil is such a HOOT!!!!!