GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rachel
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Allaprima (sp?) attempt at a portrait of an artist friend.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What do you think are the biggest flaws?

Quiet
12-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Very interesting! I like what you’ve done with the chisel-like brush strokes in the fluffy collar and in the wall to the right of the face. The face is weal in comparison. I think it would help if the face were painted with the same bold brush-strokes. As it is the outlines look out-of-place and the skin looks overworked.

I love the fluffy collar!

Artistanne
12-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Michael-Ann I love the feathers--I can feel them!

Tamana
12-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Alla Prima!!! Well done :clap: :clap:

You've captured quite the expression...almost like you could tell she was trying not to laugh, to be serious while sitting. ;) I've always loved your strokes, and in owning one of yours I can truly truly appreciate what I see on this screen and how it must look irl, which is rich, vibrant and textured deliciously.

I think on this one it's excellent as is...perhaps the next get a little looser with the face. But I can tell you...I couldn't have done this Alla Prima...not a face I'm sure!!!

Wonderful!!! :wave:

Michael-Ann
12-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Tam you are right about the trying not to laugh...:) Thank you muchly for the vote of confidence you always give me.

Thank you Artistanne, I'm glad that came through.

Quiet...I think you see me akwardness with the face...not to sure about my abilities in that area. I am glad that you saw it, it underscores my need to keep practicing with studies. Thank you.

haaf
12-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Hey hey MA
I really like this portrait
colors are well distributed and...indeed great brushstroked..pretty determined.
As for the face issue mentioned by Quiet.. alla prima or not..easy to fix.
I see mirrors and feathers.......
Caroline ;)

hward
12-06-2004, 12:50 PM
I like the hair. It looks painterly -- painted with understanding and sympathy. Ditto the chest and the lady's attitude.

In the background, I like the shiny golden frame, and the luminous wall over the lady's head. Don't know why. Just looks like you had a nice idea and communicated it gently and with sympathy for the viewer, and therefore effectively.

Nits: the facial features don't line up. Like the mouth is too far to (her) left compared to the nose and the right eye is too far left (about a half eye-width). I'd soften the outline of the nose, so it looks less like a contour drawing.

Gilberte
12-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Lovely portrait ......... give the face another layer ? Maybe ?
Enjoyed it anyway ...

Mikey
12-08-2004, 05:57 AM
There's an overall feel I like very much about this piece and I'm supposed to tell you why. I suppose the expression first and then the brushwork and colours all working well together.

Mikey