PDA

View Full Version : Broken Feather

Michael-Ann
12-05-2004, 06:13 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-05-2004/37079_broken_feather.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-05-2004/37079_detail-earth.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Broken Feather
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30x40
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Messing around at last.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What do you think about composition?
Do you think it is emotive?

Quiet
12-05-2004, 07:50 PM
The image in its entirety doesn’t do much for me, but in the close-up – wow! That’s a powerful gaze, and a great composition. And the texture begs to be touched. Maybe someone else can offer better comments on the painting as a whole. . .

Tamana
12-05-2004, 07:53 PM
It's SO GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK!!!! :wave: I LOVE AND MISS YOU when you're gone... :)

That face is wicked awesome, Mikuhl-a'yanne!! The palette and application is like a snowstorm rampant in the wind. Emotive? Yes, very. She seems bewitched...she seems almost numb to her surroundings, to what's happened to what's happening. The bird is a very integral part of representation, like a link between human/animal human animal between delicate brokenness.

I read once that there was one feather in a wing that was essential for it to operate. this painting reminds me of that story -- that if that one feather breaks...then the wait for a new one to grow (and it always does) begins. And ending and a beginning I see in this.

That weave of orange/red is wonderful through that cold of winter weather. Love the red-roofed houses...and the path homeward where the grass is always green. The stars add an almost magical touch to the work...a celestial aura, a special season.

Michael-Ann
12-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Tam *sigh* I almost feel like I am cheating when you respond...you see everything and more, and I dearly love you for it. Thank you.

Quiet :D I dig your honesty about the whole, I wondered to myself if I was simply trying to put too much into the whole or not enough...This was another painting done really pfat, it had been sitting for three weeks and still wasn't dry when I attempted to sand on it today...yuck what a mess! The woman's face and the feather were the only bits left from the original painting.

LisaArt
12-06-2004, 05:17 AM
Hi Michael-Ann, Composition and colour palette is super. My eye is led from that mystical face to the feather to the foreground. Love that face, Thanks for the close up, your application of paint is fab! I agree with Tam about the stars, a wonderful touch. The orange and red peering through the white draws me in. Very emotive.Enjoying these "messing around" paintings of yours

Wayne Gaudon
12-06-2004, 06:30 AM
the face closeup is staggering .. beautiful and could make a piece on it's own. The painting is beautiful as well but the top viewer right is distracting and doesn't seem to fit the bill. IMO I think it needs to be done in dark greens and reds .. instead of the greys .. as is it is too much of a pull .. one face against the other and I think the person and the house are powerful enough on their own that the second face could be shadows.

Later,
:clap: :clap: :clap:

earthbot1
12-06-2004, 08:44 AM
I think this works well. Kind of a Chagall/ Vlaminck mix. Lots of energy.

jerryW
12-06-2004, 08:57 AM
the closeup - I agree, very interesting -
the whole thing is a good christmas new years message.

6 years ago I made up a new years card for some friends
I had painted what I thought was a generic baby face though in retrospect not the baby face that is generic to me or my family and my daughter added some streamers and stars.

it was really exciting to do on the living room floor, I could not explain it.

I gave it to the friends (janet and ford) on jan 1 and they were very very stunned by the baby face. Janet had just tested positive for pregnancy and was keeping it a big secret.

When dylan was born, the new years card oddly seemed to be an exact portrait. far too much simmilarity. spooky.

I almost never paint a face without reference, which made it even more funny.

so I wonder who you are painting.

haaf
12-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Hi MA
Really really great face you've depicted here! lovely swirls and colors.
Study it and do some more.
As for the rest of the painting ...there are some separate area's which are working individually well........
As a whole ,imo, they are not very cooperative

I think you've something special with feathers, your birdwoman always comes to mind.
Caroline ;)

Gilberte
12-06-2004, 02:02 PM
The close-up of the face is awesome.

Mikey
12-08-2004, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the close-up. Your brushwork is becoming very effective indeed.

Mikey