PDA

View Full Version : Possible Projection Of WildFlowers

sidhartha11
12-05-2004, 05:20 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-05-2004/914_land_critique_l.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-05-2004/914_land_frag_2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Possible Projection Of WildFlowers
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 19x25 inches
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Most of my paintings are improvisations done with commitment and with as much technique that I have acquired up to this point. Each drawing is a learning device for me.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like your feedback to tell me what I could do to improve the dimensional aspects of this abstract, which is almost nonexistent in this painting.
----
Also I would like feedback regarding the "balance" of the painting, i.e. does it appear balanced on the paper. I found it to be somewhat difficult to achieve balance while creating this painting.

Tamana
12-05-2004, 07:22 PM
To me it seems off-balanced and heavy on the right. A bit too crowded between the "flower" and the edge -- mind you, there's just enough tension created by that one flower leaning the opposite that you could more than likely get away with it as is...it's an either/or call; Perfect balance or tension...

You're right, this does seem flat compared to your other pieces...but I'm really not sure how you could increase dimension. Hopefully someone more qualified will step in. However, I will note that most of your paintings (that I recall) seem to have more of a background (checkerboard etc.) that in and of itself produces dimension for the foreground objects. This one (although you have a distinquished flat line and colored in the background) seems very flat compared to your structured ones.

I think that's what's causing the flatness in this one: the background.

Quiet
12-05-2004, 07:36 PM
Hmm, how to get into dimensionality? Does drawing shapes in 3D interest you? If thatís the case, learn classical perspective. Itís not just a tool for drawing stuffy old Italian buildings. ;-) Have you seen much of M.C. Escherís lesser-known art? He did a lot of wonderful pieces involving crazy shapes in space.

Thereís a lot of amusing stuff going on in your picture!

sidhartha11
12-05-2004, 09:35 PM
To me it seems off-balanced and heavy on the right. A bit too crowded between the "flower" and the edge -- mind you, there's just enough tension created by that one flower leaning the opposite that you could more than likely get away with it as is...it's an either/or call; Perfect balance or tension...

You're right, this does seem flat compared to your other pieces...but I'm really not sure how you could increase dimension. Hopefully someone more qualified will step in. However, I will note that most of your paintings (that I recall) seem to have more of a background (checkerboard etc.) that in and of itself produces dimension for the foreground objects. This one (although you have a distinquished flat line and colored in the background) seems very flat compared to your structured ones.

I think that's what's causing the flatness in this one: the background.

Thanks .. just as I thought.
I think that the only way I could improve the balance and even dimensional effect is too much to ask for at this moment. I would , I think , have to turn it into a larger painting by using additional sheets of 19x25 paper, extending it on probably the right side to begin with. This would turn into a pretty intense project. Not sure if I feel like doing that ...

sidhartha11
12-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Hmm, how to get into dimensionality? Does drawing shapes in 3D interest you? If thatís the case, learn classical perspective. Itís not just a tool for drawing stuffy old Italian buildings. ;-) Have you seen much of M.C. Escherís lesser-known art? He did a lot of wonderful pieces involving crazy shapes in space.

Thereís a lot of amusing stuff going on in your picture!

Amusing .. I can agree with .. haha