PDA

View Full Version : Enlightenment

SoonerAsh
12-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've just completed the first of three paintings that I'm going to do for a local fund raiser event. The event will be in March and is The Mad Addicts Tea Party, where 50% of the sales will go to benefit A Chance for Change organization that helps people who are recovering from addiction. The three subjects I signed up for are Enlightenment, Duality, and Isolation. Here's my first of the three: Enlightenment. It is a 16x20 acrylic (regular and liquid).

I would greatly appreciate any critiques or comments! I'm primarily a watercolorist, so I'm really new to working with acrylics and this was definitely a learning piece for me.

Thanks,
Ash :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2004/28568-28568-Enlightenment2.jpg

idahogirl
12-05-2004, 07:22 PM
This is really lovely. I love the glow... makes me think of a heart.

Good work,

Dee

ArtistJensen
12-06-2004, 02:35 AM
Nice composition and color palette. The warm and cold contrast makes the painting glow from the inside. I'm getting warm feelings about love and passion from this one.

I can notice that you are mainly a watercolorist. You have used the acrylics in a watercolor manner. You have applied several thin layers of paint, I suppose. Acrylics work very well that way. Acrylics are waterbased and behaves like watercolors when dilluted. You can make large watercolor like paintings on canvas. Just remember to use acrylic mediums, not only water.

Acrylics behaves very well in heavy impasto as well. They are very versatile and a lot more forgiving than watercolors.

Keep them coming, it's very nice.

themanda
12-06-2004, 01:20 PM
this just glows with radiant light. excellent work!

Tamana
12-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Hi, Sooner. VERY worthy cause and you are to be commended! :clap:

I really like how the yellow pulsates through that red to "enlighten". In addition I notice the crop of the head vs. the tiny space at the bottom to give the appearance of rising above - clever. The only thing I would suggest next time is to perhaps not center...but rather, off-center and use color as a balance.

Not too certain about the background color being that light - am thinking a deepening might enhance the enlightenment even more -- a coming alive so to speak -- but...the surroundings could be indicative of the space around an enlightened person being illuminated by that very light - so it's either/or I suppose and individual interpretation.

Again...you are to be commended. :)

PALudeking
12-07-2004, 05:58 PM
You handle acrylics beautifuly . This is certainley an appropriate title and I find it inspiring...a lot too think about in this one. :clap:

Smileawhyl
12-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Reminds me of a snail enticed from its shell. Happy image and good title.

artbyjune
12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Interesting interpretation. The colours you use really glow with light/enlightenment!!

SoonerAsh
12-15-2004, 10:19 PM
The only thing I would suggest next time is to perhaps not center...but rather, off-center and use color as a balance.

Not too certain about the background color being that light - am thinking a deepening might enhance the enlightenment even more -- a coming alive so to speak -- but...the surroundings could be indicative of the space around an enlightened person being illuminated by that very light - so it's either/or I suppose and individual interpretation.

Thanks Tamana, yeah, I wish I had noticed sooner that I had placed the image dead center of the canvas. I'm still learning about composition and placement of elements. I may be able to make the background darker though.

Thanks everyone for all your wonderful comments. I greatly appreciate the feedback!

Take care,
Ash :)