PDA

View Full Version : BRIDES III GoldenGate WIP

tURBOCAT
12-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Spent a day painting yesterday and should have taken earlier pictures. This is the Golden Gate bridge... in the fog....

Again totally different but this is WIP and progress and indeed needs work... so back to it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2004/46554-Bridge3WIPa.jpg

MountainSong
12-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Oooh! I really like the perspective you've chosen here. 'Looking forward to seeing it finished. :)

champagneharley
12-05-2004, 04:23 PM
I like the shapes. The colours. It draws me in, so far.
:)

Regards,
Jillian

tURBOCAT
12-11-2004, 09:48 AM
I liked one area of the painting and did more work - should have taken a picture at that stage. But last night I reworked things and this one may not survive. I'm not sure it "moves" me. Thoughts?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2004/46554-Bridge3WIPb.jpg

champagneharley
12-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Some of it I really like. And think you should persevere with it, as the basic shapes and composition is really good. I love the part upper right.
I guess what I don't like is the strokes coming down into the lower right, I feel they should 'fade' out, and be shorter, and a bit more less random in the ends (sorry) difficult to explain. I wouldn't let them come so much into the 'path'
The almost solid brown in the bottom left is my 'problem' area. I think the color choice is wrong, for my taste.
I would choose a burnt red as a basis under it, and I would then add some random gold leaf application to it in this area - squares of varying sizes, with very ragged edges. I think if you did this it would become a wonderful work. I can imagine that you may be reluctant to do the gold leaf, but I can really see it, and might be a good thing for you to contemplate.
Regards,
Jillian

tURBOCAT
12-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Good input - I have some gold leaf - so put it on with medium?

I have never used it before in a painting.

champagneharley
12-11-2004, 11:40 AM
If you run a search on wet canvas in FORUMS there are some good threads explaining adding gold leaf to a painting - using sizing and so forth.
I would keep the gold leaf down in the lower left quarter of the painting, fading with dribbles into the other quarters.
I started looking for samples of what I meant, but couldn't find any in a quick search - choose the contemporay or mixed media forums to search, these are the most pertinent ones.
I think you could surprise yourself by doing this and expand your work into dimensions that will bring rewards.
Good luck with this. :)
Regards,
Jillian

tURBOCAT
12-12-2004, 10:18 PM
A final note - I painted over it. It just did not work. Saved some canvas money :)

champagneharley
12-12-2004, 10:42 PM
A final note - I painted over it. It just did not work. Saved some canvas money :)
Thanks for the 'final note'. It saves me wondering. Shame, but I understand.
Regards,
Jillian