PDA

View Full Version : girl with the moon in her eyes

themanda
12-04-2004, 03:49 PM
i hate painting faces.

i hate painting mouths. her mouth is awful.

16x20 acrylic on canvas.

Mary Woodul
12-04-2004, 05:21 PM
But as a whole it is beautiful! I love her gaze.

Tamana
12-04-2004, 06:52 PM
I agree about the gaze -- it posseses a type of innocence to it, like a young girl day dreaming. I dont' think it's "awful" (but I'm not sure what you were going for)...it's almost indicative of the initiation of a smile. You know, that kind that happens, the small one, upon the realization of an epiphany -- the looking and the almost realizing suddenly.

I like the elongation of the neck - very Modi-like in design.

ThurmanHubbard
12-04-2004, 07:58 PM
I think she's beautiful. :clap:
I hate painting people, and especially faces, therefore I don't, but I see nothing wrong with your rendering. I like it a lot.

hotpavementburnsmyft
12-04-2004, 10:54 PM
the stars really do it for me

MountainSong
12-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Yep, the angle of them -their raining down on her like confetti. Neat.

Mirek Sledz
12-05-2004, 01:49 AM
uff...finally your people have eyes,nose and mouth! :p I love colours on it.

Dahzl
12-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Pensive. wistful, she is lovely !...........and Modigliani does come to mind.

Cheers Dahzl :D

pearlgirl
12-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Her expression is beautiful...like the wide-eyed awe one feels every time a full moon is out. The twilight blue was a good choice.

ArtistJensen
12-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Hey Themana, this is great. You got a melancolic dreamlike expression on her face. The mouth adds to that "odd" expression. It's not bad at all. This is the abstract & contemporary forum you know. If you had posted it in the classical forum you would probably have gotten many comments about the mouth, the eyes, the nose, everything. But this is a contemporary painting, and as such it's great. The blue and yellow makes a fine complementary contrast. The stars together with the movement of the lines in the blue completes the composition. The different elements makes the eyesight move around the pictureplane without leaving it. I like it!

hans.kok
12-06-2004, 03:46 AM
I like this, really,
But why do you do something you say you hate?

Lynxes123
12-06-2004, 05:36 AM
I agree with the others, I like it a lot. I think you did a fantastic job of showing depth and lighting too. At first I thought it was three dimensional, not painted on a flat canvas. :clap:

themanda
12-06-2004, 10:57 AM
mary--thank you so much! she's growing on me quite a bit.

tam--thanks! modi didn't even occur to me, but now that you've said it, i can see it. i guess the problem with her mouth is that it just doesn't look the way i want it to look. it's a functional mouth, surely, but not what i see in my mind. i'll just need to keep working on it, i guess.

cablehunter--thank you! :D

hotfeet--i liked the stars a lot, too. i wanted to keep painting them, acutally, but was afraid they'd take over.

songbird--confetti is such a nice thing. magical paper raindrops. :D

mirek--and no strings! no hanging people at all in this one. :P

dahlz--thank you so much!

pearlgirl--thanks. that blue is such an emotive color, isn't it? i'm glad you enjoyed it.

viking--thank you for such a lovely compliment! it's nice when the piece is compelling enough to catch and retain a gaze. :D

hans--this was an exercise in forcing myself to grow. i hate painting faces because i don't feel i know how to do it. if i know how to do it, i won't hate it and will become a better painter. it's about growth and change and maturing as an artist for me. if i don't challenge myself, what's the point?

lynxes--wow! 3 dimensional! how cool is that??? :D

thank you all for taking the time to look and see and say!