PDA

View Full Version : Quatre Saisons

AlaskaBarb
12-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Yipppeee, I'm done! At long last. I had been working on four druidic necklaces for the Earth, Fire and Fiber show here at the Anchorage Museum. The entry was preliminarily accepted in October, and now it goes into the final phase of judging. I hope the piece makes it into the show, which will tour the state for one year -- but who knows.

Have to share the drama, though. It's funny now, but pretty stressful when it happened.

I had almost completed the thing -- got the necklaces mounted on an embroidered organdy background, and had taken a picture out on the lawn (before the snow). I set the whole thing on the kitchen table and left to put the garbage out. I came back a few minutes later to find that my puppy, Fletcher, had jumped up and grabbed a corner of the fabric (likes to do the same with dishtowels hanging off the stove handle) , with the whole thing crashing down onto the ceramic tile floor. Bits of glass everywhere -- it broke the ends off of some of the leaves on each of the necklaces -- so they had to be re-strung.

Let's just say it's been a busy couple of weeks trying to get them rehabilitated before the deadline.

Two pictures here, the entire piece, and then a close up of Spring (Beltaine), which is my favorite -- though I used so much Czech seed bead infilling for the pussy willows, you can barely see the lampworked leaves, morels, dogwood, branches, eggs, bird and nest.

B

jbriz
12-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Oh my! Those are absolutely stunning! If you have time, could you post closeups of the other three? These are all soooo wonderful. You'd have my vote in any competition! Terrific work!!!!!

xoticbead
12-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Oh my goodness, That is one really, really great necklace. it's not just terrific,
It's super TERRIFIC. great job
Liz

AlaskaBarb
12-04-2004, 10:46 AM
I just realized don't have a new close-up of Summer. When it was restrung after the accident, I added strawberry flowers and bees, but this picture pre-dates that.

Hope the museum will let me come in and photograph them. (Such a ditz -- just forgot to do it.)
-----

This isn't super-close, but shows the basic idea. (This was the pic taken right before the puppy incident.)

I believe winter necklace was posted a couple months ago. The individual necklace was titled, "winter sleep," a druidic piece depicting a spare landscape of ice-covered grasses, opium poppy pods and mistletoe berries. It was photographed in the snow, so the lampworked ice wasn't visible.

There's also a post of Fall in a thread from a couple of days ago ("the ice storm,") following the original post. The title of the individual necklace was called Under the Duff --a tribute to fall forest litter, all the stuff one finds under the leaves.

Pax,
B

oldejunque
12-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Barb, Just beautiful.

Tomi

AlaskaBarb
12-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Here's a new closeup of Spring (Beltaine). I like it because you can see the bees. Well, sort of. They're up near the top, on either side.

B :p

Beads-Me!
12-04-2004, 11:35 AM
.........thud........ Oh how I would love to see those in person!!! Absolutely gorgeous Barbara!

GardenGirl1002
12-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Wow, Barb - those are just GORGEOUS!! Thanks so much for sharing those! They are all so imaginative - they must have taken forever - in planning and execution. I am just in awe! You are one talented lady! :clap:
Best of luck for the judging!

Bazile
12-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Barb, those are just beautiful, as an art piece in themselves.

JavaGirlBT
12-04-2004, 12:02 PM
I love your art! And they are art. Just beautiful! :clap:

wmo
12-04-2004, 12:57 PM
I am completely blown away! I can't believe you won't be juried in! Are the berries in the summer necklace lampworked? Are the seed pods in Winter lampwork?

They are stunning. I wanna learn how to make necklaces like that, even though mine would never be that pretty.

I was born in Seldovia, got a special place in my heart for all things Alaska.

Toni Lutman
12-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Barb,

Those are just incredible. Good Luck! ( even though I don't think you need it!)

Toni

AlaskaBarb
12-04-2004, 01:41 PM
I am completely blown away! I can't believe you won't be juried in! Are the berries in the summer necklace lampworked? Are the seed pods in Winter lampwork?

They are stunning. I wanna learn how to make necklaces like that, even though mine would never be that pretty.

I was born in Seldovia, got a special place in my heart for all things Alaska.

----
I think they'll make it into the show. Hey, Seldovia is such a magical little place. The houses on the lagoon(?)that one sees when walking into town from the landing strip are so cool. It's like a little slice of the Southeastern panhandle here in Southcentral.

Yes, all the main bits are lampworked -- leaves, berries, poppy pods, mushrooms, sticks, etc. The Czech beads are used as infill between the lampworked pieces, because I haven't been able to do anything that tiny on the torch. Yet.

B

snootyvixen
12-04-2004, 02:02 PM
amazing ..... just amazing. There is no way you won't be juried in with those beauties, Barb.

And to think, just a few months ago she was making boys with nails in their eyes :rolleyes:

*snicker*
Vikki

kyyardlizard
12-04-2004, 02:04 PM
HOLY MOLY..!!!!!

Barb....those are truely amazing!!!!!

MegannsMom
12-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Barb,
They say that everything happens for a reason...but I am still having a hard time finding the "puppy incident" even remotely funny! Give me a few days to get the image of those gorgeous pieces of art falling to the floor and breaking, out of my mind. :eek: :eek: :eek:

You must be tired of hearing this from me, but it remains true; You are one heck of a talented artist! I can't even find the words to express how beautiful I find your work to be. Thank you SO much for sharing it here!
~Cindy

Cheng076
12-04-2004, 02:28 PM
In a show for a year............. :clap: :clap:

And I just got out my suit/tie and loaded my gun, and saddle soaped my boxing gloves getting ready to wear one of those wonderful creations.

Talk about disappointment :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Seriously wonderfully creative work. Please, please try to post pics; they warm up the dull drizzly Seattle days.

PJH

Paul Katherman
12-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Like I said Barb your work is true to life. These necklaces make me feel like I am an novice. I am totally amazed. I bet your necklace will be on tour. In person they are even better I am sure.

Great stuff! WOW! :clap: :clap:

mistymade
12-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Barb, your necklaces are absolutely gorgeous!!! I can't imagine the time that went into them. They are stunning!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

CalmWaterStudio
12-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Breathtakingly BEAUTIFUL.

CorvetteJuliet
12-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Oh my! My heart is beating faster just examining your photos. I'll bet they are even more stunning in person! Best of luck with the judging! :) ~Juliet

!ngridh
12-05-2004, 12:34 AM
BARB!!!!!!! Those are just gorgeous! I love them.

Aleta
12-05-2004, 02:09 AM
Now that's alot of work! Very pretty!

angelina74
12-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Simply beautiful. I am in awe!

Doolollies
12-05-2004, 10:54 AM
THUD! I am in awe. I BOW to you. Absolutely STUNNING!

Linda

scupltorgirl
12-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Wow! Your work is incredible! Everytime you post your pieces, they pull at my heart. Wonderful!

wmo
12-05-2004, 04:32 PM
----
I think they'll make it into the show. Hey, Seldovia is such a magical little place. The houses on the lagoon(?)that one sees when walking into town from the landing strip are so cool. It's like a little slice of the Southeastern panhandle here in Southcentral.

Yes, all the main bits are lampworked -- leaves, berries, poppy pods, mushrooms, sticks, etc. The Czech beads are used as infill between the lampworked pieces, because I haven't been able to do anything that tiny on the torch. Yet.

B

Those berries and poppy pods are amazing! As is everything on the necklace...oh yeah, and the necklaces themselves!

Seldovia is a magical place. We moved when I was young but I went back with my Mom as an adult. We loved Ancorage too. And Seward...and Homer...all of it! I need to take my family back. Maybe next summer.

Mary Jo Wolf
12-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Barb:

Awesome Beautiful Monumental Achievement, just a huge WOW

Thank you so much for sharing. You could write a whole book on how to do these, from glass work to photography. Awesome :clap:

Best Regards, Mary Jo :wave:

AlaskaBarb
12-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Thank you. Your comments cheered me up so much -- been feeling low.
----

I did find the close-up of Fall (Under the Duff) which shows a little more detail, the little hedgehog creature sitting on an acorn.

B

littlecrow1
12-05-2004, 06:58 PM
:clap: Beautiful work!! Absolutely Stunning! !!! :clap:

Lara
12-05-2004, 08:33 PM
I love them all. They are wonderful!!!!!!! I can't decide which I like better. I love the mooshrooms, so cute. I love the berries too. Your leaves are so unique. I think I see oak leaves in there. Thank you so much for sharing. What inspiration.

Lara

isle-of-cats
12-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Barb~
Truly Beautiful and Spectacular!
I am so glad I stopped in and checked this thread.
Thank you for sharing and I loved the detailed pics!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2004/29828-drool.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2004/29828-drool.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2004/29828-drool.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2004/29828-drool.gif

dread
12-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Oh Barb they are stupendous so beautiful
BON!

Lori Peterson
12-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Oh holy night, Barb, those are breathtaking.

Nonie
12-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Barb..I think your creations are truly one of a kind. I am always impressed with how beautiful and special they really are.

paulette
12-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Wow!! Fantastic!! How much does each piece weigh? They are truly magnificent.

AlaskaBarb
12-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Wow!! Fantastic!! How much does each piece weigh? They are truly magnificent.

Haven't put them on a scale, but they're not too bad. Whenever I make berries or eggs and stuff like that, they're hollow. The seed bead infill adds bulk and texture, but not too much weight -- I don't think they weigh any more than a necklace of normal-looking beads would.

That being said, the necklaces I personally wear are usually tied with a ribbon at the back rather than a clasp, so I can vary the length depending on my outfit. Sometimes I'll use a decorative pin to attach it to the back of my top to keep it in place because most all necklaces bug me after about a minute and a half.
-----

I think that the spring necklace would make a really pretty circlet for a wedding veil, if the bird/nest were removed.

Tink
12-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Heartstoppingly gorgeous! I have an irresistable urge to hold them.... SO glad you shared!

Flower7
12-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Wow, absolutely amazing. I've been in a bit of a rut trying to see how I can take lampworking from a craft to an art. It is inspiring to know that it can be done. (Meant as a compliment, not the start of a debate of art vs craft :) )

MaureenKennedy
12-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Barb, your work is truly incredible and astonishing. You are a true artist, which is why I call myself just a craftwoman.

Leevite
12-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Oh yeah, it will make it into the show!!

Incredible!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

laughing glass beads
12-08-2004, 10:31 AM
No words to describe the beauty CC

beachglassgirl
12-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Seriously, I physically stop breathing when I see your pieces. You have such incredible vision. You have such a gift for being able to share your art with the world. I KNOW these will get into the show!

Iona
12-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Absoluty beautiful, and I too noticed the cool oak leaf. Makes me want to go use up all the pressed leaves and flowers I have been purchasing for a long time. I really like the ones you made and added to the seed beads. Iona

msritaa
12-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Your art is such an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing those wonderful pieces.

sharonL
12-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Your work is wonderful. I was looking at Lapidary Journal (could have been Strep by Step) the other day and saw that they were having some kind of "jewelry art" competition. I do remember that the last date for submission was in the beginning of March, 2005. Your 4 Seasons necklaces are certainly "Jewelry Art". Perhaps if you sent them in you could get some NATIONAL recognition. You certainly are imaginative enough and have been able to create a real piece of art...seems everyone agrees! Maybe one day we'll all see one of your necklaces on a movie star's neck walking down the red carpet. It could happen...............!!! :clap:

doonegirl
12-09-2004, 12:34 AM
WOW Barb,

Your work is truly incredible. I never cease to be amazed at the skillfulness pf interpretation in your work. I am not often moved to post, but this time I am. You are going far, Gal!

Shirley C.
12-10-2004, 02:25 PM
barb, i hardly ever get out here in the glass art channel any more. i am SO glad i checked out this thread - your work is absolutely beautiful!! i'd love to have you post it over in the wearable art channel.

fabulous!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

AlaskaBarb
12-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Your work is wonderful. I was looking at Lapidary Journal (could have been Strep by Step) the other day and saw that they were having some kind of "jewelry art" competition. I do remember that the last date for submission was in the beginning of March, 2005. Your 4 Seasons necklaces are certainly "Jewelry Art". Perhaps if you sent them in you could get some NATIONAL recognition. You certainly are imaginative enough and have been able to create a real piece of art...seems everyone agrees! Maybe one day we'll all see one of your necklaces on a movie star's neck walking down the red carpet. It could happen...............!!! :clap:

Thank you. I didn't know about that competition!

As luck would have it, I was contacted by LJ to do some articles after the first of the year. We'll see what happens!

B

-------

nursekatie
12-11-2004, 11:59 PM
OMG.....those are stunning!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: