PDA

View Full Version : Torrents Of Megiddo

MountainSong
12-03-2004, 09:42 PM
A title for you ancient history buffs - it's easy to imagine it looked a bit like this on several occasions!

This was my first attempt at doing some texturing before painting. Still haven't got the color red out of my system yet.
You can't tell it in this picture but this was the beginning of a little itty- bitty break through for me.

Little guy 11" by 14"
28cm by 35cm
Oil on Gallery wrap
Side shot and details included.
All comments and critiques welcomed and appreciated.
:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/48549-red_thing.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/48549-red_thing_profile.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/48549-red_thing_detail.jpg

chandlerjr
12-03-2004, 10:28 PM
MountainSong,
I, personally, am not fond of Texture in painting. Having said that, this is a very nice composition. I love the way you laid the red over the bright blue and how it turns into a violet in the upper left hand corner.

Is that a Teal Green at the bottom over laid with red--very nice?

Masterful composition and I love the palette!
Larry C.

Mirek Sledz
12-03-2004, 10:45 PM
:wave: funny man or Merick here :) I love your threedimensional way how
you paint around paintboard - it give additional powerful effect to your
beautiful abstract. Maybe you have painted on the rear board also? :p :D
Could you rotate this painting on second side?

MountainSong
12-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Your wish is my command! :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/48549-second_side.jpg

ArtistJensen
12-04-2004, 03:28 AM
LOL - you're a funny lady.
Mountain Songbird, this is great. I like the texture. And I'm starting to like those convex canvases too. I don't know where to get them though.

It's a nice and exciting painting. Colors and composition is good. Paint handling is very good and bold. Bolder approach than some of your earlier works.
I like it!

shinobi
12-04-2004, 05:01 AM
Love those colors together MountainSong. Outsatnding.

Mirek Sledz
12-04-2004, 07:59 AM
woooow..second side is the best :p I love it :wave: I'm also Merick :D

wiscojaydub
12-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Mountainsong..you just keep getting better and better...oh my ..gaawwww. :wink2: This one is very exciting. :) jaydub :D

themanda
12-04-2004, 04:00 PM
oh....

this just takes my breath away. it's primoridial. molten copper and blood and the sky and the earth. so much power is on that canvas.

Mary Woodul
12-04-2004, 05:19 PM
I like that Mountain Song and I guess you couldn't let red out with that title. Is it the battle? What did you use for the red texture, you controlled it very well?

MountainSong
12-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Aloha Larry, texture is interesting - it seems it would work well with a painting in which it was planned what its roll would be- and you know how well I plan my work! :wink2: Thanks for your compliment.

Viking King - you can get the convexo canvases from DickBlick - they have a fairly good range of them. No doubt if the style catches on their line will expand. I agree this painting is very bold, and masculine too I think.

Aloha Shinobi and thanks - those were very bold colors to mix together - it verges on being too strong IMHO. :)

Mirek - OH! LOL! So you like the second side best Huh? Well I've got lots of second sides for you then. :D

Wiz...Yah, it takes no prisoners huh? Appropriate for ancient warfare.

Themanda - When I see it i see arterial flow from sword wounds, the heat of battle, the dust of earth mixed with the blood of man, and man returned to the earth from which he sprung to wage his wars and the waters of Lishion rising to take the fallen to the sea.

Mlelevier - the texture was created with gesso and moved with a palette knife. It is warming to me that you read the battle in this abstract. Megiddo is located in Northern Palestine and was the strategic cross roads of Traders headed to Egypt and Army's on the move in Mesopotamia. Many a battle was engaged in ancient times on the Plains of Megiddo. A river named Lishion runs through it and in one battle under the direction of a Priestess named Deborah an invading army was pushed into the river and swept away.

wiscojaydub
12-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Also the future site of the upcoming.. "Day of the Lord" as per "revelations according to john" .. :) jaydub :wave:

Tamana
12-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Good depiction. I love that red. I think it's wonderful for your first textured piece.

pearlgirl
12-04-2004, 07:03 PM
And the recent unrest and bombings...very powerful painting. The colours should be strong and confrontational in order to portray the violent history.

When I see it i see arterial flow from sword wounds, the heat of battle, the dust of earth mixed with the blood of man, and man returned to the earth from which he sprung to wage his wars and the waters of Lishion rising to take the fallen to the sea.
This description of yours fits perfectly...well done on capturing it so strongly(and uniquely)

I think this is your strongest yet SingingBird. I'm still unsure about the convex canvas though...I find it distracts from the main body of work.
*L*

tURBOCAT
12-04-2004, 07:28 PM
They are starfish in the ocean - red starfish - see?????
So starfish in the title... for one idea.

Lynxes123
12-05-2004, 04:11 AM
MountainSong, that is fantastic, exploding with red hot energy! Wow, I love it! :clap:

MountainSong
12-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Wisco – Word Up. :)

Tamana – Thank you Darlink. ‘May try it again in the future – done well it could be very interesting it seems.

PearlGirl – It is a very strong piece isn’t it? *L* You always read things so well and see both the intent and the results – glad your always out there Darling. I’m not so sure about the convexo’s either – still got a few left though, so you know they’ll get painted. :p

Turbocat – Cool name. :cool: I see them! LOL Some of the elements look like corral reef too. Thanks for dropping in and looking and expressing!

Lynxes123 - *L* Some times in those little pieces it’s like the energy gets compressed. I’m glad you like it – a piece is successful when somebody is moved by it.