PDA

View Full Version : First Attempts...

Printmakerguy
12-03-2004, 07:08 PM
I have been lurking here for a while, But this is my first post. I decided about two weeks ago to pick up a set of watercolor half pans, and with the help of a couple of books have been doing some doodles here and there, messing around with the colors, to find out just how they work. I haven't come up with too much yet, but thought I would post an early attempt here, in hopes of getting some input as to if I am headed in the right direction.

This is a view from St. Marks square, in Venice- at sunset. I was attracted to it because of the colors, brilliant orange sky, reflecting the same color in the water. Can't remember the name of the cathedral. Done from a photograph (Magazine cover). It is a small painting, only 2 1/2" x 3 1/2". I work on a ship (I am a merchant marine officer), and have limited space, so small is a lot easier for me :).

I would appreciate any input on this- Overall, I think that it is not a bad effort, although I really don't like how the tower turned out. This is my first foray into painting of any sort- As you might have guessed by my handle, I am a printmaker.... This is totally different for me. Thanks in advance-

Andrew

Strawberry Wine
12-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Welcome Andrew: Very nice first post but a bit small to comment on. I will see if I can do a quick fix.

BRB
Gail

I enlarged your image to 600 pixels wide and used the "Uploader" rather than the "attachement" which means everyone can see your image while they are responding.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/13320-venice_by_andrew.jpg

Cheers and I will be back shortly with a comment

Gail

laudesan
12-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Hi Andrew..

Are you a guide in the Print making forum???

Lovely work indeed for a first time, but it should be in the wc Gallery for maximun views..

I hope you plan to paint more..:)

Cheers..

Printmakerguy
12-04-2004, 02:14 AM
Hi Andrew..

Are you a guide in the Print making forum???

Lovely work indeed for a first time, but it should be in the wc Gallery for maximun views..

I hope you plan to paint more..:)

Cheers..

Ok, I will post to the gallery.... I wasn't sure exactly WHERE it should go- the Watercolor forum is BIG... Also, I will use the uploader- Again, wasn't sure what the prefered format was here :)

It is a bit small, but the scan is full-sized...

Yes, I am a guide in Printmaking...

-Andrew

laudesan
12-04-2004, 02:35 AM
Cool Andrew.. :)

Yeah we are BIG, but we are friendly..:) Just one big happy family..:)

K12144
12-04-2004, 08:16 PM
I like it! To me, with the colors, it looks like an old painting on old yellowed parchment or something. :)