PDA

View Full Version : Would you like a Monthly Classroom Thread?

CharM
12-03-2004, 10:18 AM
JJ posed a request to investigate starting a Monthly Classroom in our own forum, similar to what Acrylics is doing in theirs... I went to their forum and had a look... lots of good discussion going on...

I, personally, feel that this would be very helpful and would be a good augment to our WC Handbook that is still a work in progress...

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!!!

JustjoGA
12-03-2004, 11:08 AM
I'm all for it... having been in a "creative pause" for longer
than some have been painting, I NEED IT :clap:

Jo in Georgia

bart25
12-03-2004, 11:23 AM
I think this is a great idea. Similar to the drawing classes on the drawing forum. I personally would find this a great tool for me. :clap: :clap:

Bart

hopefulbucky
12-03-2004, 11:59 AM
What a great poll Char and great idea. I have been following the drawing weekly thread and it is invaluable information. I have been trying to follow along but with work am way far behind. But what is neat about it is that our own Cathie Jones has been putting these lessons and assignments in a file where we can download them (adobe) and print them and put them in a book to be able to follow along at our own pace.

We are able to post our results and get some critique because sometimes even if you follow along one cannot figure out where you are going wrong on a technique.

I voted for almost all of the above except no interest.

Thanks for having the idea.

Ellen in Ont
12-03-2004, 12:21 PM
That is a great idea! I can use all the help I can get. Don't forget painting animals. :D

WTPDOSA
12-03-2004, 12:24 PM
I think that a cyber classroom is a terrific idea! I voted for the last one because I feel that limiting the class room to only one area is very confining. Many of us paint not only landscapes but seascapes and still lifes. I would love to learn how to paint other subjects as well. My suggestion is for an open series of classrooms encompassing all different aspects of watercolors. That way, there will be ongoing classes, where any one can contribute, and not limited or cast off to the dark deep dungons of past threads. Make them a series of stickys or something that can't be lost or pushed down. I have felt silly many times asking what may seem to the more seasoned the same questions that many before have probably asked. On going classrooms would help us who are still learning by answering those questions. The handbook has been a very good source of information, but there are still items that haven't been answered and many more that still need to be asked.
The wonderful thing about a classroom is that one could try the suggestions and learn from them. People like Rod have been terrific in that they have taken on some of the teaching and been very generous in sharing what they know. I've learned a bunch from him. Thanks Rod!!!:clap: Its probably not said enough.
I think it would be awsome to have a cyber classroom where all of these teaching threads could be assembled and accessed.
It could be a cyber school where each different category has its own class room. Yeah, one for landscapes and one for color mixing, and one for... and so on.

What does everyone think? :D

Nacre
12-03-2004, 12:26 PM
No suggestions as yet but think it an excellent Idea :clap:

Yorky
12-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Sounds like there is a demand for this, Char,JJ.

Perhaps a "sticky" with a growing index of links to individual threads would be the easiest way to tackle it?

What we need now is some volunteers to do the tutoring - or we could base the "Wipalongs" on existing tutorials.

Doug

jkook
12-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Good idea, Char. I am always looking for ways to learn.

CharM
12-03-2004, 01:02 PM
I haven't really thought this through, yet, but I thought we could start a *discussion* type of thread each month that is:

Focused on a particular topic
Contains links to other discussions of a similar nature
Contains links to the tutorials in our own library
Contains examples of the discussion topics, if anyone wishes to share

At the end of the month, we could have the thread moved to the Technical Forum and linked to the Handbook Topic associated with the Monthly Discussion Thread...

There may be times when a *wipalong* is more appropriate... I think the participants of the thread can help make that decision... I'll do my best to initiate the topics based on our poll results...

Just some thoughts... your input is invaluable, so help me out here if you have other ideas!! :D We'll only be helping ourselves...

Yorky
12-03-2004, 01:05 PM
......Just some thoughts... your input is invaluable, so help me out here if you have other ideas!! :D We'll only be helping ourselves...

Exactly, Char - a discussion (I hope) will crystallise the idea.

Doug

Uschi
12-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Great idea!!!! Now I have to go and see again what subject matter I will vote for :rolleyes: :D
Uschi

Pars
12-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Something that helps me and perhaps helps others is throwing out an idea and then seeing how it develops along several different paths. An example that is current is the thread bringing to our attention an unusual palette: Cerulean blue, Violet and Ochre.

It made me think: What do these 3 colours make? So I made as many swatches as I could one night and now I am trying to paint with the palette (because I squeezed out lots of paint and trying to be economical and learn at the same time).

What must have appealed was the site reference, unusual colours and the potential for learning something different about colour mixing I would not have likely run across on my own. It also calls attention to two different watercolour painters - one I had never seen and another that does similar but different work. I was grateful to Venetia for posting.

Here's that thread for those that may have missed it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233237

pampe
12-03-2004, 02:36 PM
I'm thinking, if this flies, it needs to be in TECHNICAL

Cathie Jones
12-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Something they're doing in the drawing/sketching forum that's fun is a weekly drawing. Stoy Jones chooses one photo per week and posts it on Monday, then anyone who wants to join in can draw it and post in that thread. I think that would be fun in our forum, too - but we'd need a knowledgeable person to handle it - it does require some C&C, as well as the ability to choose an image that teaches something.

Strawberry Wine
12-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Char; I voted a big yes in most of the above categories ......

Perhaps a weekly or bi weekly subject with beginner levels advancing up to intermediate levels. and ?? beyond. :) I am sure I would benefit from the beginner levels too. Being self taught (as many here are) we may have missed something exremely important.

I am thinking (outloud here) devoting each month to different subject matter. eg. January Basics of Watercolour, Feb. Still Life , March landscapes April. Florals and etc. etc,

If you need "helpers" add me to the list.

Cheers,

Gail

laudesan
12-03-2004, 10:52 PM
I haven't really thought this through, yet, but I thought we could start a *discussion* type of thread each month that is:

Focused on a particular topic
Contains links to other discussions of a similar nature
Contains links to the tutorials in our own library
Contains examples of the discussion topics, if anyone wishes to share

At the end of the month, we could have the thread moved to the Technical Forum and linked to the Handbook Topic associated with the Monthly Discussion Thread...

There may be times when a *wipalong* is more appropriate... I think the participants of the thread can help make that decision... I'll do my best to initiate the topics based on our poll results...

Just some thoughts... your input is invaluable, so help me out here if you have other ideas!! :D We'll only be helping ourselves...

Char you echo my thoughts exactly !!!!!!!!!!

I am glad to see so many positive responses.

This will be a GOOD thing.

I know it will !!

:)

raian
12-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Great idea. I am always open to learning, and God knows I need a lot of it :)

nancyw
12-04-2004, 04:24 AM
All of the above

toyam
12-04-2004, 04:58 AM
Yes Yes Yes!!Char this would be a dream come true!! Any of the subjects you mentioned would be super..
Bonnie R

painterbear
12-04-2004, 06:02 AM
I wasn't sure what we were talking about here, so I went and looked at the Acrylics Forum to see how they were doing this. They have a sticky at the top of their Forum page and it is divided into the Monthly Classroom where someone takes a topic such as those listed above and goes into it in depth (as we have done for the Watercolor Handbook that is underway) and another section for the Monthly Projects on a specific topic such as Analogous Colors.

It is run just like the projects in the Project Forum with signups, a moderator, and Studio and Gallery links.

I think this has a lot of promise and potential for our Forum too and would be interesting and informative for those who take part.

I like a monthly theme because it gives us enough time to work on a painting and not just dash one out to meet a weekly or bi-weekly deadline.

I agree with Char's suggestion that it be in the General Forum for the month it is in the works and then be moved to the Technical Forum and placed more permanently in the Handbook if it merits that.

Ideas for topics, in addition to those above, that popped into my mind:

*Selective use of photo references (choosing which elements to leave in, move about, change, not being a slave to the photo, etc.)

*Techniques for interesting backgrounds

*Focal point and center of interest—what is it?, how to accent it?

*Animal subjects

*Skies and water

I'm sure there are lots more once we put our minds to it. January would be a good month to start. That would give us 12 subjects to set up classrooms and projects about.

Sylvia

CharM
12-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Thank you, wonderful wc folks, for such a positive response to this idea... keep the discussion points coming... I will keep track of the list that I originally posted and add those suggested topics that you've requested... I'm really quite excited about this!!!

juneto
12-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Char
I 'm always for learning , having been an art teacher once.
My question to you is, since we discuss various paintings , have WIP's, and viewings of many different styles and commentaries and critiques in Watercolor Gallery , Tech. , etc., what would be the difference between this and what we do now?
Is it that the comments would be more structured or that we would have Particularized Lessons on certain subjects? Is that it?
June :)

DGrau
12-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Glad I stumbled across this..sounds very exciting for someone new to watercolors as myself.... am way to new to the medium, to be of any help I believe, but looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Would the discussions, be a lead up to a monthly painting?
Perhaps photo reference could be provided for subject matter for those who can't come up with something on their own. Would be interesting to see how everyone applies what was discussed, in a painting perhaps, and possibly get more ideas, or learn yet more, from veiwing what everyone else did?

Wherever this goes,thanks for initiating it.
Best wishes
David

vasilkadifeli
12-05-2004, 03:41 AM
Hi all, I am at the office today :rolleyes:... I couldn't read the whole thread but voted on the poll... I gonna read it later... I say "YES"... I am sure such a workshop or class is going to both motivate me and help me learn a lot... thanks for JJ who brought the idea... and Char for the poll... when I joined wetcanvas the wipalongs (and Pam's wonderful paint with the master series) were almost comming to an end... at those times I tried to paint in a few of them... projects are good but they don't seem so interactive... I think we need a (managed) notice board for such announcements... if you don't have enough time to read the wash you can miss some of the activities started...

laudesan
12-05-2004, 03:55 AM
Char
I 'm always for learning , having been an art teacher once.
My question to you is, since we discuss various paintings , have WIP's, and viewings of many different styles and commentaries and critiques in Watercolor Gallery , Tech. , etc., what would be the difference between this and what we do now?
Is it that the comments would be more structured or that we would have Particularized Lessons on certain subjects? Is that it?
June :)

June I was thinking along the lines of having one subject per month to learn and share.

Did you check out what they are doing in the Acrylic Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232976)??

It will be different from the posting of art work where in we are not just asking for critique, (and not always getting it I might add) we are sharing our skills in a constructive teaching situation..

I am quite willing to teach if you want me too..:)

Rod
12-06-2004, 01:10 AM
A pooling of ideas and techniques is always very helpful,good thought ,

Rod.

jaytee
12-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Not had a chane to read the whole thread yet in detail.......but I rallt like the ideas Sylvia has put up as topics......... and suggest( if its not already been done) that the discussion/classroom id linked to a project each month.......so that folk can post examples of the topic under discussion where they can all be seen at once.

Im for the pooling of ideas on a topic rather than a teach-in as I think the latter tends to centre round the 'teachers' viewpoint/skills/style.... so instead of, say, someone teaching how they paint skies....... we'd all chip in with our methods, problems, successes and failures....... illustrate them in the thread and project....... and the discussion would be 'Steered' by that months chairperson......... 12 different chairpeople would spread the laod and allow the threads to go on beyond the month in question without becoming too much of a burden fo any one individual........ which is why Im guessing some projects/wipalongs 'died' in the past........

If we took it in this direction Id certainly be happy to 'chair' a topic.....preferably one with lots of opinions/views attched...... like the focal point for example......... some artists /teachers/authors say there shouldnt be one :D

ct_sketches
12-06-2004, 04:48 PM
I am a new member and (as it says in my profile) am beginning to move into color. i think watercolor is fascinating, but my attempts into it so far have been "dampening" my enthusiasm! :D I would love to have a tutorial thread where the basics are explained, and i believe there isn't a better place than WC! to learn them!
Btw, i spend most of my time in the D&S forum and love their basics 101 thread!
Regards,
Chandu

CharM
12-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi everyone... Life keeps interfering with my ability to log onto the site... :( I'm travelling for the next couple of days, and will put all the suggestions you've been posting into a more cohesive format for approval when I return home.

I love all of your input! The discussion in this thread alone is testament to the fact that we could all use the help and advice of so many of our peers...

JT... I was thinking along the same lines as you and Sylvia... I suspect that we've all become a little disenchanted with the Project System as it's not engendering the kind of discussion and help we're looking for... this is not meant to be a criticism of the Projects, but merely my own observation...

laudesan
12-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Well it looks like a goer then..

Yippee, and thank you all for your support on this, than you Char for taking it on..

Look forwrd to your propsal.

I agree about the projects, unfortunately, they just don't seem to be teaching us like a classroom will!!

Thank you everyone for your great responses.

:)

JayD
12-06-2004, 09:58 PM
That's right CJ--I'm EVERYWHERE :evil: You're gaining experience at the drawing forum and you are doing an outstanding job. Why don't you host it.

I have no idea where I am--I click on a link in the drawing forum and landed here. Am I under watercolor? If you are interested here is how the drawing forum works.

1. We have a textbook--permission is gained from the publisher before using the book--VERY IMPORTANT. IN this instance, Rudy de Reyna's How to Draw what you see.

2. We have a 40 week class with an outline guide. Each week covers one aspect of the guide. A brief explanation of the subject is given then 4 to 5 photo examples are given to practice on. It is the student's discretion to choose whatever picture OR he can supply his own. We encourage modifying finished drawings to be different from the photo in order to spark imagination.

3. Students in the class post their work and the instructor is always around in some form to offer guidance (NOT CRITIQUES) and encouragement

4. THERE ARE EXAMS

5. For the adventurous we have an offsite Advanced section offering instructions by more advanced artist at that each student can use if they feel like they want more.

Basic 101 students are called "101ers" and have really lit up the forum with their enthusiasm and ernestness to learn. The class is opened to all levels from beginners to professionals and the thread for the first seven classes are ALL active and get responses whereever you are in the class whenever.

Word of warning: it is easy to get off on tangents so make sure that your instructor keeps everyone on track.

Hope this helps--I wholeheartedly think you should do this--whereever I am. :D Chees and Hi everyone!!!!--Jay :) :wave: :)

Annapet
12-06-2004, 11:13 PM
What a wonderful idea! :clap:

vasilkadifeli
12-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Thanks JayD this was what I was thinking of... I wish I join your classes once if find enough spare time :rolleyes:...

Projects are nice... you choose a "subject" then create a project and everyone join to paint something in their own way and present them... the subject may be predifined in the project in the forms of some ref photos or those who join may freely select their own related subjects... some light-criticism is done... ofcourse you learn from the work of others... but there is not such detail critiques and suggestions as in the threads of the gallery...

WIPs are nice because you can see detailed steps of the "subject" while the artist is painting... in another thread I said that it is much much better than painting book examples where the put 4-5 steps and you cannot ask questions...

WIPalongs... I remember them... I think I joined one of Pam and one or two of Lulu... they were wonderful... because the artist paints again a "subject" in steps while making his/her explanations and the others try to paint the same subject and learn also from each other's work... some were posting their paintings also as short WIPs...

Books... when I buy a book I usualy read it from start to end... I rarely try the "examples" myself... shame on me :rolleyes:... some have exercises too...

Monthly Classrooms... what I am thinking about them is a much formal thread to explore some "technique" in watercolor painting... a book may be of help for creating the outline for the monthly threads and start one each new month... the artist may provide the explanations and again one or two books may help him create the contents of the "technique" he explores in the thread... he may also provide some short examples in the form of demos or WIPs... and those who join may also try to paint the same example/subject or some other they choose in their own...

"EXAMS" ? :eek:... I am not sure how you do them in the drawing forum :rolleyes:...

Is that what we head for ?

laudesan
12-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Hey......... Exams are great!!!!!!!!

That wat there is no slacking, once you commit you are in for real!!

If you don't keep up with it, the only person you are cheating tho'. is yourself as this is just the best place for learning,

and Hey!!!!!!!! Guys!!!!!!!!!!! it is Free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I think all those who make the effort to teach deserve an award !! ;)

Sher
12-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Yes yes yes! I voted for all the subjects. I haven't been here for awhile but this would help me get back into the water http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2004/16334-banana2.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2004/16334-banana2.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2004/16334-banana2.gif

I would love it if we did follow along paintings to demonstrate what we were learning.

idcrisis55
12-07-2004, 12:24 PM
This is a great idea!!! I posted yes on all the subjects and like Sylvia's added suggestions. I would like to add one more even though it isn't actually a wc technique but important as a basis for every medium which is Design/Composition and perhaps can be covered regarding each subject, i.e., animals, landscapes, still life. I know these areas are covered in the Composition Forum but perhaps if a class is done on landscape, the design/composition can be covered with it as to why the photo works.

I love the Basic Drawing 101 thread and Jay is a fantastic instructor. It is structured yet free enough to let us put our own individuality to each drawing. There are specific goals which IMHO is very important.

My main problem (there are several other areas as well lol) in watercolors is keeping the light (white paper) and knowing when to stop adding color. Such as in the painting of Sonja's on this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222042&highlight=glass), so perhaps with structured tutoring in a class I might be able to learn how to obtain this.

So count me in and I'll help anyway I can.

Thanks,

JayD
12-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Exams are simple--we cover up to a certain point in the class and then I assign a single mandatory picture that contains all the elements discussed plus a few curves to keep them interested.

By the way, we also have a substitue teacher system set up so that I don't burn out and everyone gets a chance to lead if they want--leading is sometimes the best learning tool.

laudesan
12-11-2004, 02:56 AM
So the Monthly Classroom is a Goer Then?

CharM
12-12-2004, 07:03 AM
Hi everyone... from your responses, I believe we should begin our Classroom as soon as you'd like... I have listed the poll topics in order of your voting response... then I've listed Sylvia's suggestions beneath (thanks for the offer to help!!!)... Her first suggestion regarding the use of photo references is such an important one that I thought we could place it second on the list...

Anne has suggested that we discuss Design/Composition as a topic and I agree... maybe the *crop* word won't appear as often in our threads... :evil: Thanks for offering to help!

*Values, shadows and highlights* seems to be a question/problem raised in nearly every post in the Gallery... good paintings are made even better when their values are adjusted correctly... So... I'd like to start the Classroom thread with this topic first...

Values, shadows and highlights 50 14.53%
Watercolour techniques 41 11.92%
Elements of a landscape 37 10.76%
Painting Portraits 37 10.76%
Elements of a still life 36 10.47%
Mixing paint vs. glazing 35 10.17%
Elements of a seascape 34 9.88%
Painting Florals 34 9.88%
Elements of a cityscape 31 9.01%

Selective use of photo references (choosing which elements to leave in, move about, change, not being a slave to the photo, etc.)

Techniques for interesting backgrounds

Focal point and center of interest—what is it?, how to accent it?

Animal subjects

Skies and water

Design/Composition

I do think we need a little more discussion before beginning, though...

JT... linking the discussion to a Project is a good idea... because I was hoping to augment our Handbook, though, I would prefer to keep all posts in a single thread... this might become cumbersome, though, and I'd appreciate a little more input as to how we'd manage it... Thank you so much for your offer to help!!!

JayD... thanks so much for your insights and suggestions... There are so many variables involved in watercolour that I'm not sure we can choose an expert or even have exams... We often talk about *rules* of watercolour, but because they're broken as often as not, those rules tend to be guidelines more than anything...

Which leads me to a discussion about exams... My intent for the classroom was directed toward input, personal examples and discussion... an open classroom rather than formal lesson plans... Based on your comments, I think that some of you are looking for more structured instruction... I really need your input here...

Vasil... I feel that choosing a single artist or book, relative to a discussion topic, could be restrictive... each artist approaches these topics a little differently and what's right for one may not be right for another...

I also feel that a Classroom Lead Person could steer the discussions rather than teach the lessons...

So... the worst that can happen is that we'll evolve as we try this out... Don't be afraid to voice your suggestions or concerns... I'll give this a few days and then... Let the Classroom begin!!!

Pars
12-12-2004, 07:14 AM
Char, first thank you awfully much for taking the lead on this exciting prospect at Watercolour.

I was thinking and wondering if we had a topic, yes, starting with values, it could lend itself to several forms of input with various contributions, i.e.,

show good examples
a lesser example(s)
suggestions for improvement
published ways/techniques for improvement
ways in which to check values (more than greyscale?)
colours that heighten/reduce value (Schink talks about this some)
using complements for value, shadows, light
how to see and express light and shadow
etc

Just some ideas floating in my head that I am examining and trying to learn myself. It would be so much more interesting to share these with the Forum.

And, I definitely am offering to contribute in anyway I can and help with lesson plans.

nancyw
12-12-2004, 08:34 AM
This idea is so awesome. Thanks for being courageous and generous for doing such a difficult job. For me, anything you do will help; I always, always learn something new from even unrelated ideas. :clap: :clap: Nancy in FL (just watched a pair of woodstorks feeding in my little canal--life is good!)

JayD
12-12-2004, 08:57 AM
CharM--good luck with the new class--you guys are going to have so much fun. If you think about it, once you have your classroom set up, let me know and I will be more then happy to link it from our Basic 101 class and from the forum learning center. Again, good luck--being a watercolor hound in lurking for some time, I may take advantage of your lessons. :)

jaytee
12-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Char................ If it was a Project

ie Values in Watercolour Classroom Project

it would actulaly come up as one discussion thread........... people could still post their painting/ examples in the thread during the discussion (or delete the bit of code that shrinks the reprod full sized pic in the project gallery to the tiny one in the thread) and it would have the bonus that when discussion we wouldnt have to load big pics all the time.

There cold be a simple announcement in the project blurb thqt the gallery is for posts for this 'classroom' only ,,, foe discussion go direct to the thread. and post a link to the thread.........

am I making sense... not been up long and feeling 'coldy' !!

BTW I do feel that Values Shadows and Highlights is too wide and diverse a topic.............and should be split into two....... the first being VALUES....I have just bought a whole out of print book on this subject form Ebay at great expense :D.......and I think SHADOWS is a topic all its own. and probably 'Highlights' could be too...........

It occurs to be that there will be considerable overlap in these discussions...... eg 'values ' is sure to bring up focal points as well as shadows.....and also color scheming.......

Instant ( ie not considered) thought on this.........

We could start several obviously related classroom projects at once...... since each would have a different leader this wouldnt be too onerous......

The leader would decide whether the contribution was relevant to another project as well as their own or even instead of their own and do one or all of several things

1) a) ask the contributor to copy and post in another more relevant project or
b) or after pming the contributor copy and post themselves or
c)ask the other classroom leader to review the contribution and for them to copy and post.........

2) a)allow the discussion where relevant to continue in the thread but also refer across to the other classroom for more detail
b)Halt the sidetrack there and refer across to the other classroom

I know it sounds complex, but it seems to me that individual classrooms could get way out of hand as one discussion leads into another . with nowhere else to go.........

These classrooms could lead to a sereies of wip-alongs or tut-alongs depending which aspects most lend themselves to one and how many folk demand to see/try how something was done. These, while having their own threads could also be linked to the main topic thread.

will now go and feed the zoo and have some more sensible thoughts perhaps :D

has a another thought but edited it as too contentious and complicated :evil:

jaytee
12-12-2004, 09:28 AM
more im afraid :D

Eg. tutalong in VALUE class could start with say a monochromatic simple still life........then a high key and Low key example of same......then perhaps a starting with darkest dark ..........etc etc etc.......as these would be inseperate threads but linked discussion could go into even more detail ....... and these pics wouldnt go into gallery but stay intheir individual threads.......

off to shower............. which is bound to produces more and eccentric ideas !!! You can see who used to organise adult training courses cant you :D

CharM
12-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Hi JT... still thinking that if we have multiple threads on the go for a single topic, it's going to get cumbersome... It's my hope that the Classroom thread for a particular topic could be edited for the Handbook... linking back and forth, especially where wipalongs are warranted, just seems to be fragmenting the topic too much... I was thinking that each topic would be more or less *self contained*... I know I'm being *thick-headed* about this, so I do apologize... sometimes my brain is filled with cotton...

If everyone feels that Projects are warranted, I'll need to get something submitted for approval asap...

I agree that Values, Highlights and Shadows is quite broad... and it occurred to me when I suggested it, that the topics could be more finite... however, it also occurred to me that when an artist is having difficulty with his/her values, highlights and shadows suffer... the three things seemed to be joined at the hip, so to speak... High key vs. low key hadn't even been considered!!! Thanks for that suggestion...

So... perhaps we should start three Classroom threads as a kick-off??? One each for Values, Highlights and Shadows??? I dunno... this might get kind of confusing too... I'm sooo linear... :D Even though we might have a different Leader for each topic, the same folks will probably try to participate in all of them at the same time...

Ok... How about this... Open the Thread with a discussion about Values that LEADS into Highlights and Shadows as a natural progression??? Just throwing out some thoughts...

Pars... all your suggestions are good ones... it leads me to think we should establish a set of goals for each topic... i.e. in this discussion, we'll consider the following... blah, blah, blah...

So, folks, where do you want to go from here??? I'm excited about this Project and would like to see it get under way in any format we decide upon!

laudesan
12-12-2004, 07:51 PM
I am excited too, from the seed of an apple into an apple tree..:D

Ok... How about this... Open the Thread with a discussion about Values that LEADS into Highlights and Shadows as a natural progression???

Great idea, this will really work, and work best in my opinion..

I can't wait to see this get underway!!! :)

Roun2it
12-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Only just found this but count me in, if you think I can help in any way let me know. I like the idea of sharing things, thats why we are here.

jaytee
12-13-2004, 06:26 PM
Hi char et al.....

Sorry I didnt explain the projects thing very clearly........... I was thinking of it just as a way to get all the examples submitted during a discussion on the same page of a project gallery, thats all !!!

The classroom would have its own thread 'cos the discussion would be broader / wider ranging than just commenting on the pictures, which is what would happen in an ordinary project.........hence the idea of stopping folk from commenting in a project discussion thread.......... it might even be possible NOT TO HAVE a project discussion thread, just a gallery for all the pics on one topic............we'd have to ask a mod........

I like the idea of being able to look at all the entries on one topic on one page simultaneously. I think it would facilitate the learning greatly to be able to make direct comparisons without scrolling through all the chat........there is a new series of books out 'how did you paint that still-life/landscape/figure ' which has at the front mini pics and page references and brief details of every painting in the book for quick reference........it makes finding what you want sooooooooo easy .......

How the topics are split is much less important than that basic idea...... the threads will get so long , scrolling to compare examples will take for ever !!!!! even not on dialup.........

have I done any better this time.........I think its me has cotton wool for brains at present...........:D

Another alternative to individuals loading in the 'gallery would be for the leader to do it every so often !!!! Then selections could be made to keep each gallery focussed..........

Pars
12-13-2004, 07:41 PM
In case this was missed, Jan's thread organically has become a lesson in values.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235947

Perhaps we have an example of how it can be achieved with this example and go farther.

Percolating thoughts, no notion of right or wrong.

CharM
12-13-2004, 08:22 PM
In case this was missed, Jan's thread organically has become a lesson in values.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235947

Perhaps we have an example of how it can be achieved with this example and go farther.

Percolating thoughts, no notion of right or wrong.

It's always nice to read that we're on the same wavelength... I agree that this thread is a MUST read... and had every intention of using it in the opening discussion... there is also a thread in the Drawing forum that I was planning to link to...

JT... I think we're agreeing to agree... LOL... must be that darn accent of yours... :evil:

My thoughts... consicely...

1. A Leader will begin the Classroom discussion with an opening post that has something concrete to offer about the topic.
* This will require a little research, but it's good for the soul and the mind... :D

2. The Leader, at this point, can provide some examples that illustrate the opening post's salient points...

3. The ensuing discussion can/will determine whether or not bonafide paintings are recommended to practice those points. At this stage, the Leader will request a Project be opened and approved so that the paintings can be viewed in the Project System.
* If a wipalong or tutalong is warranted, the Leader can manage it in the Project System...
* A link to the Project will need to be posted in the discussion thread.

4. Simple illustrations, mini demonstrations, or even examples of paintings can be posted in the Topic Thread.

So... when do you guys want to begin???

laudesan
12-13-2004, 09:17 PM
I vote we begin in January, seeing as everyone is busy this time of year..

I was actually visuallising that we do a lesson thus..

Have a subject, tool list, and paint and discuss together..

Back to basics for some of it, like painting a cube, cylinder, sphere ect with a light source on the objects for the shadows.
Folks to buy their supplies from a craft store and set up their own ref, photograph it, paint it, and then discuss it.
What better way to learn about shadows .. values ect.
Start off in monochrome, then proceed to colour.

A LOT can be learnt from this simple exercise..

A LOT can be packed into this simple exercise too..

I do like JT's idea of being able to view all the paintings on one page..

Pars
12-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Like JJ, I'm for January and for much the same reasons.

Here's how I can help: I am a good research--it's my profession--have zillions of books and can write and type fast and without more than 2 mistakes. Also I've hung real art shows. So I'm good to get examples.

Here's where I am lame: I still haven't hooked up a scanner so unless I hit myself top of my head I don't contribute much visually. May do this before '05 :evil:

And JJ, perhaps we can exchange supplies :wave: - Still haven't figured out your filbert combo, but the regular one is working!!! Thanks!!

laudesan
12-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Like JJ, I'm for January and for much the same reasons.

Here's how I can help: I am a good research--it's my profession--have zillions of books and can write and type fast and without more than 2 mistakes. Also I've hung real art shows. So I'm good to get examples.

Here's where I am lame: I still haven't hooked up a scanner so unless I hit myself top of my head I don't contribute much visually. May do this before '05 :evil:

And JJ, perhaps we can exchange supplies :wave: - Still haven't figured out your filbert combo, but the regular one is working!!! Thanks!!

Have you got an update on your painting for me??

EMAIL.. ([email protected])

Filbert comb (http://www.millerwoodcrafts.com/suppllies/softgrip_goldentaklon.htm).

Just ask your supplier, or look online.. They are REALLY cheap and a wonderful brush to have!!!

Mary Smith
12-13-2004, 11:30 PM
How about a class in Perspective??? As I paint mostly landscapes it would certainly be helpful to me. I am terrible at perspective, so I can use all the help I can get, lol.

painterbear
12-14-2004, 06:13 AM
I like the way this is done in the Acrylics Forum. They have a sticky with the Monthly Classroom at the top of the Forum page. When you open that, it has two sub-sets, one for the Monthly Discussion Theme and one for the Monthly Projects related to the theme. You can check it out here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233952).

I don't know how they did it, but the projects sub-set is set up exactly the same as the ones in the official Project Forum. That would seem to be the ideal way to keep all the submissions in one place right here in the Watercolor Forum where we could see them and comment on them without having to go over to another forum because I don't think that would work. People wouldn't follow through, I'm afraid.

Sylvia

Yorky
12-14-2004, 07:27 AM
Looks an ideal system, Sylvia.

I reckon it is a normal sticky thread used as an index to the monthly lessons which use the project system and to the project comment threads. This means that the list of lessons and resulting work will be available to any latecomers.

Doug

Nacre
12-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Sylvia , I agree with Doug, it does seem a good system and appears to be working well in acrylics so should work here too.

laudesan
12-15-2004, 12:56 PM
I like the way this is done in the Acrylics Forum. They have a sticky with the Monthly Classroom at the top of the Forum page. When you open that, it has two sub-sets, one for the Monthly Discussion Theme and one for the Monthly Projects related to the theme. You can check it out here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233952).

I don't know how they did it, but the projects sub-set is set up exactly the same as the ones in the official Project Forum. That would seem to be the ideal way to keep all the submissions in one place right here in the Watercolor Forum where we could see them and comment on them without having to go over to another forum because I don't think that would work. People wouldn't follow through, I'm afraid.

Sylvia

Sylvia, that is what I was saying in the beginnin when I thought we could do it too..

That was WHY I started the Monthly classroom thread in the fist place..

Thank you for bringing it up again as yes I think we should do it like that..:)

jaytee
12-15-2004, 02:10 PM
a quick thought before i disappear off for a few days.........

it seems to me that although we are all pretty well agreed about the presentationand process, we are not at all agreed about the level.........

Jj is clearly thinking of something fairly basic and I think thats what a number of the beginers would like...........while the more experienced of us are talking about a more discursive in depth illustrated discussion.

Both are of equal value and complement each other and could benefit us all though at different stages....... is there a way they can be worked together...........eg the tut-along could be the basics.....the project more advanced?

over and out :D

Pars
12-15-2004, 04:28 PM
a quick thought before i disappear off for a few days.........

it seems to me that although we are all pretty well agreed about the presentationand process, we are not at all agreed about the level.........

Jj is clearly thinking of something fairly basic and I think thats what a number of the beginers would like...........while the more experienced of us are talking about a more discursive in depth illustrated discussion.

Both are of equal value and complement each other and could benefit us all though at different stages....... is there a way they can be worked together...........eg the tut-along could be the basics.....the project more advanced?

I may be a beginner, no, I am a beginner but frankly I would like us to do something with meat on it and that is why I brought in Jan's thread. Char said she too was on this wave-length. Taking some of the basics like value, perspective, composition, etc to different levels of understanding by sharing, examples, instruction where possible, etc. It is one thing to understand the principle of value, quite another to effectively incorporate as second nature.

So, JT, I fundamentally agree that the spectre is wanted; now, HOW?

laudesan
12-15-2004, 09:49 PM
aBoth are of equal value and complement each other and could benefit us all though at different stages....... is there a way they can be worked together...........eg the tut-along could be the basics.....the project more advanced?

Totally agree.

Just don't want the absolute beginners on the site, those here now, and those to come, to think it is all too hard right off..

Some folks, even tho' the have been painting for a couple of yars still don't know the basics, trust me..

Composition, perspective, and light and shadow are soooooooooo important, and it doesn't hurt the more experienced folks to have a refresher, but more importantly it is their input that is going to help the beginners......:)

Johnnie
12-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Hi all

Well might I suggest TWO levels.. One for beginners and one for the more advanced artists..

Beginners learn lessons , materials, paper, values, color, color mixing and all that sort of stuf.

Advance lessons could be on specific topics like painting wood, real detail of a leaf, or rock ... More along the lines of Detail type of painting.. Nothing that looks like a sketch.

Just a few examples above but you get the drift.. I think that would satisfy everyone one way or the other.. I there is a topic someone doesnt care for just let it go by like you do when its the wrong bus or streetcar...lol

Johnnie

laudesan
01-12-2005, 11:04 PM
What is happening with our classroom???????

vasilkadifeli
01-13-2005, 12:42 AM
great follow-up JJ :D

Sher
01-13-2005, 02:44 AM
I have been thinking the same thing JJ. I need some major inspiration to get back to learning.

sisangel
01-16-2005, 07:05 PM
I've been a way from Wc and painting in and out throughout the year. Hopefully I can get started again. In fact, I am just returning today after many deaths and the family and many hospital visits myself.

I think a monthly classroom is where I need to be right now. So this thread really caught my eye.

I think a variety of subject matter and depth of subject would be good. So there is something in it for everone, advanced usuers and beginners alike. I am a beginner myself and don't think it is necessary to have 2 different classrooms.

I will be anxiously waiting to hear when this can happen. Thanks JJ.

had to go back and edit this for spelling. Need a monthly typing classroom me thinks.
Bonnie G

laudesan
01-17-2005, 12:59 AM
It seems so many of us are struggling with water at present.. :(

SO..

Maybe we could for our first classroom have lesson in painting water..

Ocean

River

Glass of water

Vase of water

Puddles

ect ect ect..............

Yorky
01-17-2005, 03:31 AM
Lakes and reflections :rolleyes:

(Sigh) Doug ;)

Strawberry Wine
01-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Ditto!!! on the lakes and reflections. :confused:

Gail

CharM
01-17-2005, 09:05 AM
I had started working on a "Values" thread, but I have to agree with everyone else that "Painting Water" seems to be needed...

I cannot paint water...

I need help painting water...

We'll definitely need a volunteer to help lead this Class... I have attached some examples of my own photos that I wish to paint (but haven't 'cause I'm too chicken to start...)

nimzayx
01-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone! :wave:
I'm new here and just saw this thread and this is definetely what I need!!!!! So sign me in!!
I'd been doing some WC on my own (just starting out) and I am at the point where I really need to improve my values and color choices, so a classroom thread will be a lifesaver!
Char: I love your picture of the lilies, we just did a similar one for the WDE1/14, that one also had the fishies and it was a challenge to get them to look underwater. I attached my version. You might want to try that one too and look around the forum to see what other people did. It was a very popular picture.
:clap: :clap: ok I'm exited! When do we start???!!!!!

yazmin

Strawberry Wine
01-17-2005, 07:55 PM
I love the water lily It would also give us a chance to do reflections as well as the water.

Maybe Sandy1, Ushci or David Br would volunteer. I know Sandy and David both have painted waterlilies superbly and probably Uschi too...

Cheers, Gail

laudesan
01-17-2005, 11:23 PM
O.K. We are in action!!!

So now we have decided that water is to be the first topic!!

SO..

We need someone to pm a few of the experienced water painters and ask them or one of them to lead the classroom for this month.

The first name that comes to my mind who paints awesome water is our very own Rich!! :D

I wonder if he is up to it??

Otherwise guys just send a link of this thread to those you know who paints water well and ask them..:)

painterbear
01-18-2005, 05:37 AM
I had volunteered to do a Values section for the Watercolor Handbook which seems to have whithered on the vine.

I've done a lot of research in watercolor books and magazines and compiled a number of links to threads about values here in the Forum. I would like to use this material for a discussion of values in the classroom section when it is time for that unless someone else wants to be the leader of that subject.

Sylvia

laudesan
01-18-2005, 05:51 AM
Sylvia I think you should be leader of that project, as you said you have com,piled a LOT of info on Values, and I rmember whn you did it, I have a link to your excellent thread in the Tech Forum in my favourites..

We still need a WATER PERSON tho'.. :D

Nacre
01-18-2005, 10:31 AM
I second the ^^^^ motion , great Idea JJ

Pars
01-19-2005, 08:05 AM
I had volunteered to do a Values section for the Watercolor Handbook which seems to have whithered on the vine.

I've done a lot of research in watercolor books and magazines and compiled a number of links to threads about values here in the Forum. I would like to use this material for a discussion of values in the classroom section when it is time for that unless someone else wants to be the leader of that subject.

Sylvia

Yes, please, Sylvia!!!!!

painterbear
01-20-2005, 04:35 AM
I'll dig out all my notes and stuff and reread them. Then I'll write up a lesson and try to come up with examples.

We need someone who knows how to set things up here, i.e., make a stickie, project, etc. so we have a coherent format from one month to the next. I still think the Acrylics Forum has the best set up if someone could find out how they did it.

Anyone want to volunteer to take that on?

Sylvia

vasilkadifeli
01-20-2005, 05:12 AM
Thanks a lot for your efforts Sylvia... I am sure it will be wonderful...

I have a point by the way... in the Drawing forum Basics 101 Classes Jayd starts the thread with a short lesson post and than he gives a very short example or some ref photos as exercises and tells the others what they should do... then everybody goes on with his/her own exercise images, something like our old tutalongs (without something like a wip of the tutor) and there is plenty of chat also... So the thread is going on and on into an endless chain of posts...

may be we can have two separate threads :

the lesson with it`s technical Q&As in its own thread, no much chatting and no posting of individual`s images at all, but only a wip, or a few demos, or examples of the tutor (don't know though how to keep it so structured ??? can a project be of help???)
and another free thread for everyone to post his/her execise images and C&Cs and chatting etc

CharM
01-20-2005, 05:56 AM
Sylvia... I'm excited about starting our first Classroom... you'll do a fantastic job with this!! I'll go have a look in Acrylics again... I peeked in when we originally started this discussion, but have kind of forgotten the specifics...

Vasil... Chopping up the threads for the Classroom may get a little dicey... I feel it would be better to keep everything in a single thread to keep the subject and examples as a cohesive unit for future research. I agree with you about all the banter (as much as I enjoy it myself) and the Leader will have to try to keep order... :D

CharM
01-20-2005, 06:39 AM
Ok... firstly, it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind... :evil:

Vasil... what we could do is keep the Classroom Thread specific to topic discussion only... examples or reference pics could be posted in this thread...

Then... whenever warranted, we'll start up a Classroom Wipalong thread for people to post their own work... That thread can be linked to the Classroom Discussion Thread...

Sylvia... I had a look at Acrylics...

The Leader opens the topic with some excellently researched material. The Leader provides links and whatever information is relevant to the topic (i.e. books or videos)...

The Leader provides working examples of the topic along with their tools of the trade...

It appears that the students then work on their own and post each of their works in new threads...

The Classroom thread is allowed to *float*... by virtue of the posts, it pretty much stays on top until the next Class.

The Acrylics forum has a sticky that lists each of their Classrooms.

My proposal...

The Leader will open the Classroom Discussion, just as they do in Acrylics. We should be careful to name our threads consistently, i.e. "Classroom - January - Values" or something similar... No banter... only relevant input...

We'll allow this thread to float.

The Leader will also open a Classroom Wipalong Thread, when needed, to allow the students to post their work and receive feedback. The Leader can put this link into the Discussion Thread fairly early in the month... we know there's going to be banter in this thread!! :D

When the Class is completed, I can ask one of our Mods to move the Discussion Thread to the Technical Forum and link it to the Handbook...

A final thought... we're ploughing new ground in the wc forum with this concept... I'm sure we'll learn and grow as we go along... nothing is ever etched in stone and we can change anything if we think of a better way...

vasilkadifeli
01-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Ok... firstly, it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind... :evil:

lol Char... and it took you only 43 mins... :D...

well, my concern was to save the lesson contents so that everyone comming afterwards may find and benefit from it without having to go through an endless thread (where is Egon now :rolleyes:)...

something else that comes to my mind is that may be after a month or so we can go through the thread, crop it, and edit it into a sticky and "closed" thread or edit it into something like a doc/pdf document which we can attach to a sticky thread in the technical forum... of course someone has to be responsible for that... and I can take that responsibility to have at least "my salt in the soup" (a Turkish saying)...

jaytee
01-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Char.......... Ive been lying low and letting you guys do all the thinking as Im running clean out of 'thunk' :evil:

So just popping in to nod my head sagely in total agreement :D :wink2:

Pops out again :D

Deb Leger
01-20-2005, 08:15 AM
I have a point by the way... in the Drawing forum Basics 101 Classes Jayd starts the thread with a short lesson post and than he gives a very short example or some ref photos as exercises and tells the others what they should do... then everybody goes on with his/her own exercise images, something like our old tutalongs (without something like a wip of the tutor) and there is plenty of chat also... So the thread is going on and on into an endless chain of posts...

well, my concern was to save the lesson contents so that everyone comming afterwards may find and benefit from it without having to go through an endless thread

I feel I should step up to bat here to defend Jay's classes. :)

That "endless chain of posts" is a very important learning tool for us. Jay has expressed the wish that everyone critique and help their fellow students, not only as a way of helping that student, but also a very important way of learning to "see" for one's own self. (And it is an extremely effective learning tool as I'm sure most of us there will agree.) The conversation is what keeps the class very friendly and close and inspired.

The drawing classes are a very successful group effort and Jay is doing a fine job of teaching us all to draw. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The lesson contents ARE saved, Vasil. Every monday night, I convert the latest lesson into a pdf file, email it to CJ and Ann, who both post it onto their sites for everyone to download if they wish. (All the lessons are there on their sites.) That would save you having to going through the "endless chain of posts". :)

Please don't consider this to be critical of your ideas - just a few points of explanation and justification. :D

Deb

vasilkadifeli
01-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks for your explanation Deb... I don't consider you being critical at all.. and I also want to say that I didn't mean to be critical to JayD's lessons... BTW he is doing a great job though he is so busy in personal life...

Secondly, I know about those pdf lessons and there are also pdfs for guest lessons stored in one of these two sites you mentioned... I have downloaded them to my computer...

Furthermore, I wasn't trying also to be critical about the endeless threads... what I am thinking is that we can split the lesson into two... (a) The lesson itself with the Q&As, WIPs, demos and references of the tutor, and also the guest lessons in one thread (b) and all the exercises, C&Cs and chats (this is not for being critical too ;)) into another "free format" thread...

of course this is my idea and others have their own ideas and we will definitely meet at some common point...

BTW we can "attach" pdfs in wetcanvas posts but each one must be limited to 1MB... also we can make them articles for watercolors and later provide an index sticky thread to them...

once again, I didn't thought you were critical neither I intended to be critical myself... :) my point was for a different and more structured way of handling these lessons...

Deb Leger
01-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks for your explanation Deb... I don't consider you being critical at all.. and I also want to say that I didn't mean to be critical to JayD's lessons... BTW he is doing a great job though he is so busy in personal life...

Secondly, I know about those pdf lessons and there are also pdfs for guest lessons stored in one of these two sites you mentioned... I have downloaded them to my computer...

Furthermore, I wasn't trying also to be critical about the endeless threads... what I am thinking is that we can split the lesson into two... (a) The lesson itself with the Q&As, WIPs, demos and references of the tutor, and also the guest lessons in one thread (b) and all the exercises, C&Cs and chats (this is not for being critical too ;)) into another "free format" thread...

of course this is my idea and others have their own ideas and we will definitely meet at some common point...

BTW we can "attach" pdfs in wetcanvas posts but each one must be limited to 1MB... also we can make them articles for watercolors and later provide an index sticky thread to them...

once again, I didn't thought you were critical neither I intended to be critical myself... :) my point was for a different and more structured way of handling these lessons...

Hi Vasil,

thank you for your explanations. :) I can see your point about the two separate threads.

Yes, Jay's doing a great job, especially considering the long hours he puts in at work.

(I think that the person who is going to teach these w/c classes is going to find out that it's a full time job. :wink2: )

I'd love to be able to attach the pdf's to the threads, but it's rare that they are smaller than a meg so that's why they're put on the sites instead.

Thanks for taking the time to explain and also for the way you did. :) It's much appreciated.

Deb

Nacre
01-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Just sitting back watching the progress of this and just popped in to say what good Ideas you people are coming up with and to give you some kudos. :clap: for the effort and thought you are putting into this .

leverettfinn
01-27-2005, 01:36 PM
I've found it! and I'm bumping it! :D

Great ideas.....looking forward to whatever you guys decide....My eyes were crossing trying to follow the different organizational models!

Lauren

true blue
01-27-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm in anything I can learn about art will be a great help

Roun2it
01-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Count me in too, I kept out of the way while it was sorted, you know too many cooks and the like!!

But I think I said it earlier, if you got anything for me to do I'm more than willing.

Well done so far it is making sense. I'm off to look at the Acrylics gang and see how it works.

painterbear
01-28-2005, 03:27 AM
Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know I'm working on the first classroom topic—Values—and plan to get it going next week. Keeping my fingers crossed I get it all organized. ;)

I hope that this classroom will turn into a symposium where we can gather around our computers and discuss the month's topic. I'll open the meeting with some of the information I've gathered from books and classes, provide links to Wet Canvas threads and other sites that bear on the topic, then throw the floor open for comments and questions by all of you. That way, we can share our knowledge and hopefully help one another in the process.

Oh, there will also be a homework assignment so we can practice what we preach. :evil: That will be in a separate thread in the Gallery so it won't bog things down here in the discussion thread and vice versa.

It will be the job of the classroom instructor (moi in February) to make sure the two threads get moved up to the top each day throughout the month. :angel:

I'm sure this will evolve as the year progresses and we see what works and what doesn't. Each instructor will put his or her little spin on things, but, as of now, this is how I think we'll start off.

Now, all I have to do this weekend is organize all this info I've been gathering in a coherent, hopefully easy-to-understand fashion. :eek: :confused: :(

Sylvia

hopefulbucky
01-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Thank you Sylvia, looks like you are making great progress with this new thread and idea. It looks like a really great thing will be happening. Wow so much stuff going on it is hard to find time to work (LOL)

Seriously, waiting with anticipation.

CharM
01-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Sylvia, you're definitely on the right track and I'm excited about this project... and you, our first Leader guinnea pig, will be outstanding! You're making watercolour history... I agree wholeheartedly with your approach... I don't have any rigid commitments for the weekend, so if you need any help, you know where I am...

laudesan
01-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Sylvia, you're definitely on the right track and I'm excited about this project... and you, our first Leader guinnea pig, will be outstanding! You're making watercolour history... ...

You sure will, and you sure are.. :)

Roll on February.. :D

painterbear
01-29-2005, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the offer Char, I think I'll appoint you to the post of "First Reader and Critiquer" when I get it all together.

I sent off the job I was proofreading last night so my table is clear to get serious about the Values thread.

There is so-o-o-o much info out there, it is proving difficult to winnow it down to a reasonable length that won't bore people and put them to sleep. :eek: :rolleyes:

Sylvia

DGrau
01-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Sylvia~ thank you for undertaking the start off on this.

I have read an awfull lot over the past years and Sylvia's quote made me wonder
[Qoute:There is so-o-o-o much info out there, it is proving difficult to winnow it down to a reasonable length that won't bore people and put them to sleep.:Qoute]
So I am tentatively offering a thought~wondering if perhaps it would be of any value to doing these topics in sections..same topic over several months, but different aspects/levels of it. Trying to get everything in one place, and absorbing all of that info can be overwhelming.
Once again, thanks everyone for putting this together.
david

jaytee
01-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Sylvia......... I habe given you a menotr point 'pour t'encourager' which is prob dire french :)

Bonne Chance !!! (which may be the wrong s*x !!!)

painterbear
01-30-2005, 03:49 AM
Merci beaucoup, mon ami JayTee! I do so appreciate the encouragement. :angel: :cat:

Sylvia

Laurie2
02-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Something they're doing in the drawing/sketching forum that's fun is a weekly drawing. Stoy Jones chooses one photo per week and posts it on Monday, then anyone who wants to join in can draw it and post in that thread. I think that would be fun in our forum, too - but we'd need a knowledgeable person to handle it - it does require some C&C, as well as the ability to choose an image that teaches something.

Yes please.

CharM
02-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Laurie... be on the lookout for a Portraits class... coming soon to a wc theatre near you... :D

Laurie2
02-23-2005, 03:53 AM
Laurie... be on the lookout for a Portraits class... coming soon to a wc theatre near you... :D

I have a reference picked out...me ole Mum (aged 92)
Rarin to go!

I so enjoyed the values class and I do believe I actually absorbed some info..well I did get an A+... :)

Who will be our Teech for the portraits class?

If it is waay down the line I am ready and willing to sign up for whatsoever class comes next...I brought an apple for the teacher... LOL

laudesan
02-23-2005, 04:05 AM
I have a reference picked out...me ole Mum (aged 92)
Rarin to go!

I so enjoyed the values class and I do believe I actually absorbed some info..well I did get an A+... :)

Who will be our Teech for the portraits class?

If it is waay down the line I am ready and willing to sign up for whatsoever class comes next...I brought an apple for the teacher... LOL

Laurie, while you are waiting here, have you looked at the portraiture forum.

I have been over there, and they have a MOUTH classroom and and EYES classroom..

I figure you can't miss with all these good threads about..:)

Just had a look and they are up to skin tones having done the nose too.. :)

JJ

Laurie2
02-23-2005, 04:33 AM
Thanks laudesan...I'll take a look over there...
Will you be doing portraiture too?
I can't believe this site has been around all these years and I have only just found it...It is truly great isn't it. :D

laudesan
02-23-2005, 04:50 AM
I did the eyes lesson, they were really great.

I want to do the rest so that when we do get around to portraiture in our classroom, at least I will be able to draw the face..:D

JJ

Laurie2
02-23-2005, 05:08 AM
I have found the 'nose'...still looking for the mouth and eyes...sigh

laudesan
02-23-2005, 05:15 AM
I have found the 'nose'...still looking for the mouth and eyes...sigh

They are stickies at the top of the forum.. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=13)

JJ

Godzoned
03-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi
A request of a "sticky" of the list of links to the watercolour classrooms would be great. I think I have missed a few. :crying: Just this year alone would be great and lock it so that only the list is available and is updated by a Mod. :)

It is hard to know what to put in the search.
"Classrooms" brings up all types of things and pages and pages. My time is precious like most and haven't got the time to look through all the pages.

Thanks heaps.