MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-02-2004/44424_BEN.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Portrait of Ben
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil Pastel
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 18
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
This is the first large portrait that I have attempted in oil pastel.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
General feedback on quality and suggestions for improvement would be appreciated

nevadarena
12-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Very beautiful. Maybe a little highlights here and there like on the arms and legs. I like very much the out-of-focus background. Is this taken from a photo?

If you make corrections, I'd like to see them. I'm also working on a portrait where highlights have to be increased. I suppose light and shadow - that's where it at.

Rena

SandyKim
12-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I have already delivered this to the purchaser who commissioned the piece, so I cannot make any further changes. It was done from a photograph submitted to me by the client. I tried to minimize the background by de-emphasizing detail and playing on the contrast of the greens of the foliage against the pink tone of the child's skin. Details with the oil pastel were a bit tricky the first time out, but hopefully experience will result in improvement.

Gilberte
12-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Lovely portrait. Your client was surely very happy with it. I like the blurred or fantasized background. Just wondered a wee bit about the right foot ...