PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Demonstration in Soft Pastel

LDianeJohnson
11-13-2001, 05:13 PM
Hi All,

I have a new article just published here at WC.

This was done by request from one of our members using the photo they provided. It includes tips on how to use photos effectively for painting. I also shot some 30 second video clips as I worked so you can see how some of the painting done in action. Sometimes seeing how the strokes were done can make a real difference.

For those who have not read it yet visit:
Sunset Demonstration in Soft Pastel (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/L._Diane_Johnson,_PSA/159/)

For the video clips the QuickTime Player plug-in is all that's needed.

Any questions, just let me know.

All the Best,
Diane

sandge
11-13-2001, 06:09 PM
Here's the link:
Sunset Demonstration in Soft Pastel... (http://www.ldianejohnson.com/articles/sunset/)

Really enjoyed the article -- lots of great advice. I shall definately go back and check out those video clips. Thank you so much for sharing. :D

nancymae
11-15-2001, 09:44 AM
Thank you sooo much Diane for your wonderful demonstration. I am learning alot about pastels from you and your work. Thank you for sharing. We are very fortunate to have such an accomplished artist in our midst!!

Nancy

stealth
11-15-2001, 10:36 PM
thanks diane, this has been a great help,the videos where just what i needed,actually being able to see how you apply the pastel was the icing on the cake,loads of information on the page for future use and study,demonstrations like this is what i could use more of,page after page.best wishes.:angel:

LDianeJohnson
11-16-2001, 09:28 AM
I'm thrilled you are getting so much out of the article! Wishing you all the best as you pursue pastel painting. It's a medium that can really "sing"!

Thanks for your feedback and kind remarks!

Diane

LDianeJohnson
11-16-2001, 09:50 AM
Just wanted you to know that this demonstration painting was purely a demo. Because this piece was created using someone else's photo, I will not be selling the painting.

Many students have asked me about the use of magazine photos, other people's photos, etc. to paint from. This is fine for practice only. Any photographed image you use is copyrighted material. To be safe and more creative, I urge you to paint from life whenever possible, and if you paint from photo resources (photos, slides, etc.) use your own material. And you can absolutely practice from master works.

The only way to safely paint from other photos is to deviate so much from the original that it cannot be discerned that it was your source. A tough putt.

All the Best,
Diane

milna
12-06-2001, 06:45 AM
Hi evrybody,
I am new to Wet canvas.I am very thankful that this site is very informative for people like me who did not have an oppertunity to learn art in the proper way..and thank you very much for a wonderful demo..Diana.:)

LDianeJohnson
12-06-2001, 10:53 AM
Dear milna,

Welcome to WetCanvas!! It's so great to have you aboard!

Thank you for your feedback ... I hope you learn and enjoy exchanging ideas, thoughts, and are able to learn more about painting here with us.

All the Best,
Diane

shazi
01-26-2004, 07:45 PM
HI DIANE,

Your demonstrstion is very good.

please sunrise do demonstrate.

Thank you very much

shazi

I have a new article just published here at WC.

This was done by request from one of our members using the photo they provided. It includes tips on how to use photos effectively for painting. I also shot some 30 second video clips as I worked so you can see how some of the painting done in action. Sometimes seeing how the strokes were done can make a real difference.

For those who have not read it yet visit:
Sunset Demonstration in Soft Pastel (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/L._Diane_Johnson,_PSA/159/)

For the video clips the QuickTime Player plug-in is all that's needed.

Any questions, just let me know.

All the Best,
Diane[/QUOTE]

LDianeJohnson
01-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Dear shazi,

Thanks so much for your message! I'm thrilled the demo was of help to you.

Wishing you all the best with your pastel painting endeavors.

Diane

Paula Ford
01-26-2004, 08:23 PM
That is a wonderful article. Thank you so much. I just bought my pastels and paper today. Have never used pastels before, so wish me luck. I'm just going to jump right in!!

I can't seem to view the video clips. Do I need a special program?

Thank you again!!

Shari
01-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Diane,

This is so helpful and wonderful to see, more please!!!! I am sorry I couldn't see the video clips, I kept getting the message URL not found, don't know why but I would love to see them.

Shari

ArtsiePhartsie
01-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Diane, THANK YOU so much for all you do here! I will be doing your demo asap.....you make learning SO much fun!!! I hope all you give comes back to you......you deserve it! Thanks.

~Artsie (Mj)

Dyin
01-26-2004, 09:47 PM
great article, very precise and easy to follow...thanks for taking the time to do it for everyone here!

mhimeswc
01-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Terrific article. I was not able to view the video clips, but the demo was very informative anyway. I have some sunset photos that I took in Hawaii that I can't wait to try.

Michelle

ctmobitz
01-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Diane...
Very nicely done and many thanks for all your tips and your great techniques of doing pastel painting. Was a pleasure to read this wonderful article and follow step by step. Please do more soon.

Claude

Artaholic
01-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Thank you for sharing .

Gerry

LDianeJohnson
01-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your lovely comments about the Pastel Demonstration. It means the world to me knowing you're receiving benefit from this article with video clips.

Many of you have written to say you've had trouble viewing the clips. I found a problem! They were loaded onto a different server. So all is fixed now for easy access! My sincere apologies for this happening!

Be certain to give them some time to load. As you know video via the web is slow loading. It takes several moments for the clips to completely finish spooling then they will open and play in a little window by themselves.

They are .AVI files which means they're compatible for all platforms.

Here is the link again to the page containing the clip links. Go to the bottom of this WC page of the article. Enjoy...they were fun to make and in tandem with the demo text will show better than still photos alone you just how the painting was created!

Sunset Demo Video Clip Page (www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/1458/159/page4.php)

If no go, then check your browser plug-in listing (generally found under "Edit" menu + "Preferences") to be certain the .AVI is checked, quit your browser/relaunch and try again.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best as you paint in soft pastel. It's a glorious media and whether you draw or paint can give you a lifetime of capturing treasures whether portraits, still lifes or the landscape! :music:

Diane

Kathryn Wilson
01-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Hi Diane: I'm so glad this came back up after a long absence - it's very informative and glad you got the .avi files to work again.

Have you had enough snow for awhile? LOL All the small streets in Raleigh are pretty much inpassable - I can imagine more so in Apex! Take care if you go out!

shazi
01-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Dear diane,

Thank you so much for reply.

I am happy your work is good.

please tell me more about making sun

beacouse i have sun making problum how makes sun? please do clear.

once again thank you so much.

shazi

Thanks so much for your message! I'm thrilled the demo was of help to you.

Wishing you all the best with your pastel painting endeavors.

Diane[/QUOTE]