PDA

View Full Version : WIP, needs suggestions!!!

Mary Woodul
12-02-2004, 08:33 PM
This is 19X23in, melted down and scraped encaustic with applications of aluminum turnings and scrap metal, paper and oil over on canvas. I crossed a rectangle in black over part of the hair on the right side and intended to cross one in green over the upper left part of the hair but I am lost with the composition now. The face was to defined for the rest of the work so I tried to lose it a little. Any suggestion? Thank you always for looking and C&C's appreciated.

Mirek Sledz
12-02-2004, 08:55 PM
hi. It;s a little darken in my computer so I don't see details but it looks amazing :)

MountainSong
12-03-2004, 01:31 AM
Mlelevier, working with silver (strong highlight) is challenging. I don't have any suggestions for you in particular - but do have a couple thoughts which might spark something in your mind.

Deep Blue usually goes with silver very well.
Also on my computer (I have a very bright screen) there is a large face of a bald man on the viewers right side of the canvas - he is looking down and has his eyes closed.

Hope this helps in some little way. :D It's looking great so far - really like the green and deep reds. :D

Tamana
12-03-2004, 05:30 AM
Hi, Mary! :wave: Great to see one of your posts again! :D

My monitor's the opposite of Song's - it's very dark. So, knowing you wouldn't mind I took the liberty of lightening this in ps so I could see it better and get an idea of what you're asking...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/18021-Marys.jpg

Tamana
12-03-2004, 05:37 AM
Okay NOW I see what you're talking about regarding the black etc....

The background colors are exquisite - um you KNOW I love that green those reds. The texure's divine...as usual. I personally thought (initially) there were too many aluminum turnings. However, I really like the look of them under that black square - so, maybe there's not too many of them as much as the starkness of them, which over-powers somewhat. Love the top part as is though; It's like an ancient head-piece. I like the way the lips are barely defined through the square but the eyes need work - like maybe a layer of something then scraped to tone them down somewhat.

I would really like to see you continue with the green over the top left as you were going to do to see if it has the same effect as the black over the aluminum. Try over-coming the doubt, and going where your heart was leading. Let's see what turns out.

Mary Woodul
12-03-2004, 07:00 AM
Thank you Mirek, Mountain Song and Tam. Thank you for lightning it for me because I took it last night and that didn't help a bit. I felt the same thing about the metal taking over and didn't know how to subdue everything. There is silver paint under the eyes and I will try to scrape it a little and try what you guys are telling me. I have never put faces in my paintings and I didn't know quite how to use the turnings so I'll continue working on it and as always thank you so much for your help and for looking.