PDA

View Full Version : Working Title: Cellular Memory

ThurmanHubbard
12-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Been working on this one a couple hours a night since about last Friday. Still not sure it's done, or even which way is up. 22x28 canvas, acrylic. Sorry about the poor quality image(s), my camera is cheeeeeep. The colors are close to correct but I never can get them to match reality. Also had trouble with drying out too fast, house is real dry and I can't find my retarder. I feel like I need to work more in the lower right. Again, sorry for the pitiful reproduction. :o

J

Mirek Sledz
12-02-2004, 08:50 PM
they are interesting. Fact is that cheap camere make worse quality images than good
expensive. But it's no trouble. Is possibility correct them in graphic programm,
(colours,contrast,sharpen) that they look like make by good camera :)

MountainSong
12-03-2004, 01:46 AM
Good movement and energy in this Cablehunter. :)

Tamana
12-03-2004, 05:47 AM
I'm not certain about the lower right (viewers?) needing work. Not with that top portion drop of blue. Seems like the balance and tension is right as it is (but that's if you're talking viewer's right). You never know, though, what an artist sees in their head or feels in their heart. If you feel so inclined to push it on -- go for it. Can only turn out good. Hell it's all good. :)

ThurmanHubbard
12-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the comments. I was indeed trying to get a sense of movement. Also, I was refering to the viewer's right, should have specified. I'm still not quite happy with the colors (I never am). They always seem very dull. Maybe I need to change something in the mix. I never seem to be able to get good coverage with reds, greens or especially yellows. Seems like they require layer upon layer, ad nauseum, to the point that I lose the texture I want. :mad: Maybe some of you more experienced folks can offer some advice. I always use acrylics, straight from the tube. Is that the problem maybe? I've been reading about matte and gloss gel mediums (sales catalogs mostly), and I've never used them, mostly 'cause I don't know what they're for. Someone please enlighten me, or point me in the right direction :confused: Being self-taught has its drawbacks :D

Thanks again

TJH

pearlgirl
12-03-2004, 05:12 PM
I must have peace on my mind today. I see a hand forming the peace sign in this and as such the diversity of colours and shapes meld perfectly.

I'm just learning to paint so can't help you with your question. I tried looking for something labelled as such in my art store and lucked out so I'm curious too.

ThurmanHubbard
12-04-2004, 07:54 PM
After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I have managed to scan this puppy. It took no less thantwelve seperate images to recombine into the full picture, but the improvement in color is worth it. Maybe now you can see what I refered to in my last post on this subject. Do you see the poor color qualities, or is my overly critical mind working me over.

themanda
12-06-2004, 01:27 PM
i think this is just lovely. :D love the color play.

kasunart
12-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Wow what a difference the image is. I like the sharp lines compared to the fuzzy lines in the first pic, nice visual interest.

ThurmanHubbard
12-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Thanks for taking a second look. I guess it's worth the trouble to scan these things and piece them together. I won't be using that camera to post my images anymore. Since I first posted this, it's grown on me. Think I'm gonna leave it as is.

peace

PALudeking
12-07-2004, 05:40 PM
I think this is really gorgeous. I really do.

For acrylics you might have to keep adding layers of color unitil you find the hues you desire (after letting it dry usually)...I use washes of lighter contrasting colors over darker areas and I think that it adds depth and form ....you did good!