PDA

View Full Version : untitled

rserra
12-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Just two new works. I understand we're to limit to 2 per day.

Any comment is welcome. If interested, I'll provide my artistic statement.

jaymarvin
12-02-2004, 02:08 PM
Like the first one not sure about the second one. It seems unbalanced. I could be wrong. I'm struggling to get a better handle on painting abstarcts. I love the format just not sure I totally get it.

shinobi
12-02-2004, 02:37 PM
I like the minimalist feeling of the second. :) A lot can be seen in either one.

Tamana
12-03-2004, 05:18 AM
The ghosts of smoke; like that yellow in the distance.
The second has just enough tension.

King Rundzap
12-03-2004, 05:31 AM
Just two new works. I understand we're to limit to 2 per day.

Any comment is welcome. If interested, I'll provide my artistic statement.

Wow, I really like the orange-brown painting. Like your later posted one, which I just commented on, I also get a lot of three-dimensionality from this. Very cool.

The second one is interesting, too, but I prefer your more colorful work so far (which isn't surprising, given my tastes, lol). A Motherwell fan would like the second one better :wink2:

rserra
12-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Thank you all for your comments. They are taken seriously.

As to these two works, the first, or "colorful" one, is a very thin dry brush application. It wasn't intended to portray anything, yet when I'm done with some of my work there sometimes seems to be a meaning or a view that, while unintended, does materialize.

As to the second, I think it is far less successful. Having said that, I intend to pursue it in a much larger format, exploring the tension more between the black and white, and the figurative nature of the work. Indeed, the painting was first painted and accepted upside down from how it is on this site.

Like I think Kline intended in many of his black and white works, there also is a figurative quality that I'll explore. And, like Motherwell's Elegy series, I subconsciously inject phallic symbols. (Look at his Elegy series!) This is not intended to shock but to be illustrative of the humanity and figuration that I am exploring.

Thanks again!

debbi_carr
12-13-2004, 04:20 PM
i was going to just lurk...thinking in my head "this red one is brilliant to me but i have been going here and there letting everyone know that i like this and that throughout this forum...as if anyone cares what i like"...then i thought..."well, it's not fair to let this go by without telling its creator that i like it so much". Thanks for sharing it.

rserra
12-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Debbi:

What a nice comment. It is very kind of you. And, with me, there's no need to lurk! I'm harmless. One must understand that to think is to create, to actually do is more than a simple accomplishment. So lurk no more.
(I'm going to have to do some more of the "red" type paintings!)

I like to say: Look, so that you will learn to see. Thank you for looking.

Smileawhyl
12-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I like both of these very much, both emotional. The first is evokes smoldering reminiscence for me, the second a strong moment of statement with lingering regret.