PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity

TooLittleTime
12-02-2004, 02:36 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-02-2004/53480_DSC00558b.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-02-2004/53480_DSC00558b-close.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Curiosity
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 40x40
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my first portrait. I have been teaching myself to painting for about 1 year. I plan to try to take a my first class next year.

The matt is a painted on as well.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any constructive suggestions or criticism.

LisaArt
12-02-2004, 02:49 PM
HI Toolittle, WOW, First portrait..Beautiful. :clap:
Reminds of Kim Basinger from 9th weeks. Saw that last night. :D
She is beautiful your girl portrait. I like this style.. very pop art (somehow andy wharhol if I can say).
I like how you did the hair and the dark lines on her eyes, mouth very good too. I cant do portraits to save my life, but this style I LIKE.
I am anxious to see more of your work. Taking classes is really great. And you will find lots of help and tips here on WC. A real virtual art classroom. ;)
You should check out the acrylics forum. I just switched from oils to acrylics and they are a super crowd. You should post your painting there too.

TooLittleTime
12-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Thank you for the fast response. I just discovered this site this morning and look forward to having a group to discuss ideas and technique. After looking through the post, I knew I had to join.

I started with charcoal and pencil about 2.5 years ago. I have only painted about 10 paintings and sold 2 of them. I have plenty of b/w portraits, but would not even show my first 2 or 3 paintings.

Here are a few small pics of my work.

Spyderbabe
12-02-2004, 03:46 PM
The TROMPE L'OIEL treatment is very clever and works well.
All the other styles and treatments show lots of creativity and ability - looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Kathleen

Mikey
12-02-2004, 04:09 PM
You've got some tremendous talent going for you Todd. My personal preference would be to see stronger paint with brush marks showing for this one.

Mikey

TooLittleTime
12-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Thanks Spyderbabe. I had to look up TROMPE L'OIEL ("Fool the Eye"). I am still learning the lingo but the forums will definitely speed the proces.

Mikey, I agree. As you can see from my earlier paintings, they had thick, robust paint strokes and this was an attempt to work on blending and a more natural look. I found it so easy in charcoal and black and white to blend and I was scared of colors for my first year of drawing :eek: . I finally decided to dive in.

balfour44
12-02-2004, 07:08 PM
WOW! this is really good work, so is your other paintings. make sure you do go to your new painting class, because you will LOVE it, I've been going for a year now and I look forward to it every sat. you'll get alot out of it, very informative. good luck, and nice to have you here!!

Tamana
12-03-2004, 07:54 AM
Terrific work; palette/designing all producing great energy. Especially like the precision of the painted matte.

TooLittleTime
12-04-2004, 11:44 AM
I received a personal email from another member artist that lives nearby me in Charlotte. She has recomended a local studio that offers art classes that she has attended. She provided me with the web site and the winter schedule that was not yet published on their site.

I will start on Jan. 3.

This appears to be the most useful forum that I have ever visited. Glad I joined.

ColorMyWorld
12-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Todd, I like how you use color but even more so I like your compositions. In “Curiosity”, I love the peeking around the matt. And in the musical ones, I love the view along the instrument!

Gilberte
12-04-2004, 02:32 PM
A very appropriate title to your painting. I like its delicacy a lot. Just the eyelashes are a bit too accentuated don't you think ?
Thanks for sharing your other work, quite different but very interesting.
Welcome !