PDA

View Full Version : Epiphany....

roachford
12-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Hello,

I'm a newbie on this here forum but I'm looking for a little bit of advice.

I have recently taken up painting as a way of expressing the drive of creation that seems to be locked inside me. I had been becoming very, very frustrated of late as my inspiration and creativity in my music (I write and play) seemed to be drying up and there was little I could do about it.

I was reading a few months ago about painters in the 20th Century and I decided to take my art in a different direction. So I sat, and sketched, and blotted, and painted, and last night I finally put paint to canvass. I expected it to look like....well, not good. And as expected, I had about half the canvas covered, slowly dabbing and stroking the paint around. The oils just didnt seem to be sitting right. Dont ask me why, it just wasnt right. So, I got one of my cleaning cloths, immersed in the paint and started to paint. It was a releasing experience and by the time I was finished with the first layer, I was amazed at the thing that I had created. Not because I think its the best thing around, but I was happy with the image. Happy with the outlet for the energy inside me and with the purity from where it had came.

It's abstract. A family member said that it resembles Rothko's style and as such I'm purposefully avoiding referring or even looking at any of his work as I want my own style to develop and progress as naturally as possible.

The advice I'm looking for is this......

If any of you good folks out there had one piece of advice for a fledgling abstract expressionist, what would it be??

roachford.

jungleX
12-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Hi and welcome!
It's good to hear from a new budding artist. I have been working in abstracts for just over a year. Before I found the world of abstract I was doing comic book style work. Everything I made was very tight and precise. Abstracts are the raw talent I feel. It's what's in your head that wants to come out.

To answer your question- Practice! Practice! Practice! You will soon find your art will evolve into something you never thought you could do! Just keep at it. In the dry spells keep working. Not everything you make will be a masterpiece. I've found that some of the things I was just warming up on have turned into my favorites. Don't think of it as a chore, and it will soon become an obsession! Just ask my wife!

If you would like to check out some of my stuff
click here
http://www.artwanted.com/artist.cfm?artid=11513

Turner
12-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Yeah, just paint a lot.

I wouldn't necessarily think of it as practice; fact is, whether you're conciously practicing or not, you're practicing.

Don't get stuck too much on details on every painting. Just paint. For me, painting fast and a lot helps the works on which I take my time.

Sometimes I paint really fast just to get a sketch out.

Work on all different sizes, too. Paint on plywood with house paint if you want to.

Andrew

muchfoolishness
12-02-2004, 05:17 PM
see with your heart

ThurmanHubbard
12-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Welcome. As stated above....paint, paint, and then paint some more. For me it's great therapy.

Tamana
12-03-2004, 05:22 AM
Don't give up.

roachford
12-03-2004, 06:22 AM
I'd like to say thanks first of all for the replies. Its a wonderful thing to be able to throw a question out there and have so many people good enough to take the time to send something back.

muchfoolishness, that sums up a lot for me. Without wanting to sound mellow dramatic or pompous, the whole process is almmost spiritual for me. I've never been able to have a concieved idea, and find a way of picking that idea out of the ether and creating it in the physical before. I want to get as many canvasses as possible and paint them right now. But again, I'm wanting to make sure that the panel I work on at any one time, gets finshed before I move to another. That way, I can hopefully obtain a purity of thought surrounding each piece of work I do.

I think what I would like to do most of all is exhibit. I'm not sure how I'm going to go about it, but I really want others to see the work I'm producing so that they can have their own experience of the pieces and frames that have come up from within me. If they hate them, then at least they will have taken the time to look and express an opinion, I dont think anyone can ask any more than that. If they dont.......well, thats a road I'd love to explore, but I guess I can only do that if that opportunity is presented to me in time.

Turner
12-03-2004, 06:52 AM
But again, I'm wanting to make sure that the panel I work on at any one time, gets finshed before I move to another. That way, I can hopefully obtain a purity of thought surrounding each piece of work I do.

Why?

I think you'll likely stifle yourself doing this.

You know how sometimes you have a problem or a puzzle, and you spend time trying to figure it out unsuccessfully, only to have the "answer" pop into your head while taking a shower, or driving your car, or cleaning the coffee pot?

Same thing.

roachford
12-03-2004, 07:26 AM
I know what you mean Turner. And I absolutely take it on board. Maybe, I'm in a privelaged place right now, but the inspiration and ideas seem to be flowing pretty freely. I guess there's no right or wrong way to go about things. But thanks for pointing that out.

I went to town last night and got hold of a few canvases. I have been dying to get started straight away with them, but for some strange reason, I was thinking that I should concentrate on this first piece I have started. I dont know why. Maybe, I'll just throw caution to the wind and immerse myself...

Work (by this I mean my job) is a continuing distraction. If I could be in a position where the art could fund itself......how fantastic would that be?

moscous
12-03-2004, 08:38 AM
welcome!!!