PDA

View Full Version : Auctions at Carnaby.com

Shai
11-15-2001, 03:42 AM
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone here has tried art auctions at Carnaby ( http://www.carnaby.com/ )?

There isn't much there right now but I read a lot of good things about it. I thought I'd give it a try. I just signed-up under the name "shaicoggins" (like my eBay ID).

Has anyone else tried other auction sites apart from eBay?

leesmith
11-15-2001, 10:38 PM
Hi Shai,

I've heard carnaby's is an art auction, is it?
Another place I've heard a lot about sellyouritem.com, they need buyers, right now a buyer's delight, no competition. Not good for the sellers though.

Biz is picking up at yahoo; a lot of ebay sellers were alienated by the checkout feature and press reports that ebay is going after GIANT retailers; plus changes at billpoint to ebay payments; major bugs in billpoint right now, more alienation.

Some artists here are listing on yahoo. I am shopping on yahoo and will be listing there soon.

Lee

Shai
11-15-2001, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the response, Lee!

I also checked out Yahoo. Unfortunately, it has a ban on international buyers/sellers right now. That is, it won't let me set-up an account there. So, unless they change this policy, I'm not going to be buying and/or selling there. And, I know of other people who feel the same way. In fact, this policy at Yahoo Auctions is what drove me to other auction sites.

I signed-up at SellYourItem.com, as well as Bidville.com, TBayAuctions.com, and Carnaby.com. They all seem good but not many buyers yet. I'm going to check out all of them and see which one I like best (maybe settle in one or two auction sites). Then, I'm going to set-up a campaign to help the auction site's popularity - especially in the growing global market.

I was hoping to join the eBay bandwagon. But a series of unfortunate events seem to put me off it a little. I'll probably still try it, though.

BTW, I love your art and posts! :D

timelady
11-16-2001, 05:36 AM
Well, it's still worth giving eBay a try I think. Because they're such a big company there's going to be things complained about but I'm still relatively happy. Bidding seems to have picked up a bit.

Not sure where you are in asia exactly but there are regional eBay sites (all listed at the bottom of the ebay.com page). If I list on ebay.co.uk I don't have to deal with this strange Checkout ordeal. It's only availabe on the US site. As long as I list "will ship internationally" in my listing the US people can still see my item and bid. Are you in the Phillipines? The most difficult part might be working out payment methods with US buyers.

I didn't know about the Yahoo policy. Ridiculous if you ask me!

Your batik work is really nice, I think it could sell well on ebay.

Tina.

leesmith
11-16-2001, 09:16 AM
Thanks, Shai!

Keep us posted on the auctions you list with, how they do.

I think your compaign to advertise is great; word of mouth is a great form of advertising. Ebay draws most of the buyers, that is for sure!

On yahoo, everyone keeps talking about the huge influx of listings coming on 11/20 from ebay power sellers due to yahoos drop in fees on the 20th BUT you've got to have buyers for an auction! I'm sorry that yahoo has squelched international sellers!
That does stink, the net is global, after all.

I'm going back to see if you listed your seller id in your postings here, if you didn't maybe you can list it here and I'll take a look!

Tina, I'm glad you're getting bids; me, I have the same lady bidding ( that hasn't paid yet! ). I'm trying to be patient with her, have resent 2 invoices on the 14, she said she would pay on the 15th but didn't so I emaile her this morning to tell her I didn't see that they've been paid.

Thanks!

Lee

Shai
11-16-2001, 10:03 PM
Hi Tina! Thanks for your reply and your encouragement to give eBay a try in spite of current circumstances. They have recently launched eBay Singapore (that's where I'm based right now), so I'll give your suggestion a try. You just gave me a great idea. :)

I am set up with PayPal [through my UK account] and BidPay, so it shouldn't be a problem receiving payments from anyone in the world. ;)

I also checked Yahoo Singapore's auction site, and it looks like I could list there. I'm just not sure if the listing would show up in other Yahoo auctions, though. If it doesn't, then it might not be worth listing because there's not a lot of traffic in the Yahoo SG art auctions.

Oh, and thanks for your kind words about my batik work. I've been doing watercolours and acrylics before I 'discovered' batik and now I can't get enough of it.

BTW, I remember that you've mentioned SAA in your web site and I ended up checking them out. Now, I'm a member as well. I even saw one of your paintings a 'Paint' magazine issue! So, thanks for this too! :)

Shai
11-16-2001, 10:18 PM
Hello again, Lee!

Yes, I'll keep you all posted with the different auctions I try out. I figured it won't hurt to give different venues a try, especially since the 'lesser known' ones do not charge any fees for basic listings for now.

And yeah, the internet can be a bit frustrating sometimes because a lot of sellers/sites still do not accomodate people who live in different countries (in spite the term world wide web :rolleyes: ). I was just happy that I managed to get a PayPal account since my hubby and I still have a UK account.

In all auction sites, I reserved the seller/buyer ID: shaicoggins. I haven't listed anything yet because I've just been studying the online market these past few months. Although I've been working (and playing) online since 1997, I'm still a 'newbie' with the concept of selling/buying using the 'net.

When I get back from my 2-week holiday, I'll probably start listing some of my work. I'll let you all know when I have some stuff listed.

Oh, and yeah, I read about that problem you have with the woman. So sorry to hear about it. I do hope that you'll manage to sort it out soon.

Again, thanks and happy painting (and auctioning?)!