PDA

View Full Version : Killer bees! EEEEEEK!!!

pixelscapes
11-15-2001, 01:32 AM
I've always hesitated to post my latest and greatest sculptures to the "Critique" forum, since by the time they're showable, they're done. So, this new "Show and Tell" forum is perfect, IMO. All comments ARE welcome, including any suggestions to keep in mind for future similar work.

These two are going to my show in L.A. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22823 (Yeah, I love shameless self-promotion!).

http://www.beware-of-art.com/journal/200111/01132_sm.jpg

Follow this link to see a zoomed-in view: http://www.beware-of-art.com/gallery/2001b/images/01132.jpg

Because of where the show is, and the invasion of "killer" bees into southern California in recent years... here's the title and other info I chose for this sculpture set:

Latin Name: Homicida apis
Specimen ID#01132.A,B
Collection Site: Los Angeles, California

Translation...
homicida -ae c. (a murderer, murderess, homicide).
apis or apes -is f. (a bee).

I framed these two together in a velvet-lined maple shadowbox display case which I stained, finished, and assembled myself. I don't have photos of these two in the case, but here's a picture of a different specimen in the case so you get the basic idea:
http://www.beware-of-art.com/journal/200108/18_box_white_views.jpg

The wire is 14 karat gold filled, and black copper. The stripes are adhesive backed black velvet... fuzzy and GOOD. The wings are #11 Swann-Morton scalpel blades. I didn't cut myself at all this time! :D

The queen bee's body is a Winchester 243 rifle cartridge, with copper-jacketed Nosler bullet with purple ballistic polymer tip.

The worker bee's body is a hollow point copper jacketed BMA .38 Special handgun bullet. I used the hollow point for the worker since it's the worker bees that sting. :evil:

Of course both cartridges were specially made for this project, with NO gunpowder -- otherwise soldering them would have been a really stupid move on my part. ;)

Thanks for looking and listening to my Show and Tell, and thanks as always for your support. :D :D :D :D :D

-=- Jen "But I never plug my work!" de la Cruz

wendee
11-15-2001, 05:55 AM
these are brilliant....fantastic..what a great imagination you have:D :D :D :clap:

Miss T : )
11-15-2001, 11:06 AM
I totally agree with Wanda!! You are very unique!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

diane555
11-15-2001, 12:50 PM
Hi Jen

Wow! These are terrific! Love all these bugs...they were my best friends growing up (What can I say, I was a weird kid!). They are actually quite beautiful for killer bees.

Have a great day,
Di

racin-jason
11-16-2001, 02:00 AM
Great stuff, but I think trying to do all that you did to get such unique results would...well...drive me buggy!!

Real impressive Pixelscapes - I like it!!!

Jason

auntie_chaos
11-16-2001, 07:39 AM
I really like what you do ... I've checked out your page and you amaze me. You must have steady nerves!! (or I guess that should say - great nerves to allow such a steady hand). :)

pixelscapes
11-16-2001, 08:08 AM
auntie_chaos -- I had better have steady nerves, otherwise I might end up with severed nerves. ;) Seriously though, the risk is not THAT great, I figure. People only cut themselves badly when they're busy putting pressure on a knife, like trying to slice through something. Me, all I'm doing is holding them or working AROUND them, so even if I get cut it's not bad enough for stitches.

racin-jason -- Yeah, I always do a LOT to get these babies ready. I actually drove 140 miles that weekend to get the bullets, for example. :D You should have seen me when I tried to get syringes from the pharmacist for my mosquitos... Apparently local drug addicts want syringes all the time. Great huh??

diane555 -- I know exactly what you mean. :) Once when I was a kid I was keeping a black widow spider in my best jar... I would drop in food for it occasionally. My parents found out and they threw out the whole jar. I was SO mad (for both the spider, and the jar). They said, "Don't you know, they're dangerous, Jen!" Then I said, "I know they are... but I was careful!" Then they were the ones to really get mad. :evil:

MissT and wendee -- Thank you! :D

-=- Jen "I'm not a drug addict, I'm a BUG addict" de la Cruz

animal
11-17-2001, 10:18 AM
COOL!!!:angel: :clap: :angel: :clap: :angel: