PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Cookies?

raian
11-30-2004, 10:31 PM
I have a good bit of vacation time coming up this month (December) and want to get some Christmas baking done. I'm looking for some cookie recipes from around the world. Since many of you are from "around the world" do you have a favorite cookie recipe to share?

BTW, I hope all of you have a joyous Holiday Season :D

laudesan
12-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Ingredients
185g (6 oz) dark chocolate
90g (3 oz) butter
1 egg-yolk
2 teaspoons rum
125g (4 oz) dark chocolate extra
45g (1 oz) solid white
vegetable shortening

How to make it?
Melt chocolate over hot water, allow to become cold but not set. Cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat egg-yolk, gradually add creamed butter, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beat until just blended. When chocolate is cold, gradually blend it into the butter mixture, beat well. Refrigerate 5 minutes to stiffen slightly. Add rum, mix well. Put mixture into piping bag fitted with 1 cm ( in.) plain pipe, pipe 6cm (2 in.) sticks on to waxed paper, freeze 20 minutes.
Melt extra chocolate and shortening over hot water, cool; when beginning to thicken, dip sticks in to coat completely. Place on waxed paper, refrigerate 10 minutes, then decorate with remaining chocolate coating.

Keep refrigerated.

Makes about 24.

Christie
12-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Oh! Cookies! I have some recipes...:D Actually, I have a database!:D Here are three favourites.

Lollipop Cookies (kids love these!)

2 cups flour
1 c corn starch
1 c icing sugar
1 1/2 c butter (softened)
1/4 c cocoa (if making a chocolate layer)
popsicle sticks

1. combine flour, corn starch and icing sugar in large bowl. Blend in butter with a wooden spoon then knead dough with hands until it forms a soft, smooth dough. Divide dough in half. Work cocoa (or food colouring) into each half. Wrap and chill both pieces of dough for 2 hours.

2. On a sheet of waxed paper, roll out first piece of dough so it is a rectangle 25 cm x 20 cm. On another sheet of waxed paper roll out the other piece of dough so it is the same size. Place the two pieces of dough sides together and roll them up tightly like a jelly roll. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.

3. Preheat oven to 350F. Slice roll into 6 mm slices. Place on ungreased baking sheets. For lollipops insert popsicle sticks.

4. Bake in centre of oven until edges just start to turn brown. Cool 10 minutes then remove and cool completely on rack.

Buttery Shortbread Coins

3/4 c unsalted butter
2/3 c granulated sugar
1 T vanilla
1 egg yolk
1 t salt
1 3/4 c all purpose flour

Flavours

Five Spice
1/4 t fennel seeds
1/4 t ground ginger
pinch cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground cardamom

Chcolate Ginger
2 T chopped semi sweet chocolate
1 T chopped candied ginger
1/4 t ground ginger

Skor Bar
2 T finely chopped Skor bar

Lemon Poppy Seed
2 t lemon peel
2 t poppy seeds

Place butter, sugar, vanilla, salt and egg yolk in a food processor. Whilr until smooth, scraping sides as required. Add flour and mix until mixture forms a ball.

Divide dough into 4 equal portions. If adding flavours do it now.

form into logs 6 inches long and 1 1/4 incheched wide. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (about 1 hour).

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 F. Let dough sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes.

with a serated knife slice into 1/3 inch slices and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake until edges are golden (about 14 minutes).

Hot Cross Buns

5 cups unsifted flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 package Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast
1 cup milk
1/4 cup Fleischmann's Margarine
2 eggs (at room temperature)
3/4 cup seedless raisins
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons cold water
Confectioners' sugar frosting

In a large bowl thoroughly mix 1 1/4 cups flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon
and undissolved Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast.

Combine milk and Fleischmann's Margarine in a saucepan.

Heat over low heat until liquid is warm. (Margarine does not need to
melt.)

Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed of
electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.

Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour, or enough flour to make a thick batter.

Beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping occasionally.

Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.

Turn out onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic,
about 10 minutes.

Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let: rise in warm
place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured board.
Knead in raisins.
Divide dough into 18 equal pieces.
Form each piece into a ball; place balls in 2 well-greased 8-inch round cake pans. Combine egg yolk and water. Brush buns with mixture. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from drafts until doubled in bulk,about 1 hour.Carefully cut a cross on the top of each bun with a sharp knife. Bake in moderate oven (375 F.) about 20 to 25 minutes, or until done. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.

Frost while warm with confectioners' sugar frosting.

Nacre
12-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Nanaimo Bars

Bottom Layer:

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 egg, beaten
1 + 3/4 cups graham wafer crumbs or digestive biscuit crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
1 cup shredded coconut

Middle Layer:

1/2 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons light cream
2 tablespoons custard powder
2 cups icing sugar
Top Layer:

4 ounces semisweet chocolate
2 tablespoons butter (more if needed)

Directions:

Bottom Layer: In double boiler, melt together butter, sugar and cocoa until smooth; add egg and cook until thickened. Add crumbs, nuts and coconut. Press into ungreased nine-inch (2.5L) square pan; chill.

Middle Layer: In bowl, beat together butter, cream, custard powder and icing sugar. Spread over base and chill.

Top Layer: Melt chocolate with butter in small saucepan over low heat or microwave at Medium for 2.5 to 3 minutes; cool slightly. Pour over second layer, chill. Cut into bars.

Presto!

raian
12-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Oh, thank you guys. Some of these sound delicious! I'll be off starting next week, so I hope to get some painting and baking done :)

Lia-Chan
12-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Nice recipes we have here :) Maybe i can try some of them after i discover how to do them ... Unfortunately ,my english isn't good enough to understand some parts of the recipes ... What is yolk? It's the yellow or the white part of the egg?

Nacre
12-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Hi Lia Chan .... the Yolk is the yellow part of the egg . Anymore questions about the recipies just ask.

Rod
12-06-2004, 01:18 AM
Great,
Might try some of these recipes tooooo,:)

Rod.

1065tomh
12-06-2004, 02:35 AM
Some good recipes here... Maybe I try them :D

I have been working as a confectioner at a cruise ship for several years and I remember an old american lady once asked me how I could make so lovely cookies. I told her to replace the half of the butter with lightly salted butter... This makes a big difference!!
Try it! Smell it and Eat it!! Yummi!

Lulu
12-06-2004, 03:35 AM
Great,
Might try some of these recipes tooooo,:)

Rod.

Be careful Rod, you might get too big for your uni:p

Rod
12-06-2004, 04:19 AM
No way Lulu, heres the proof :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2004/138-rodunicycle.JPG

Rod.

Lulu
12-06-2004, 04:26 AM
No way Lulu, heres the proof :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2004/138-rodunicycle.JPG

Rod.