PDA

View Full Version : Does this belong in this forum?

TauCetiV
11-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi folks,
I am trying to decide what exactly this is. Surealistic Impressionism? Is there such a thing? I am in the last stages of painting it.
I went for a walk in a park that has these young cypress trees beginning to turn color for the fall along a man made lake. There are small white boulders at the waters edge...
Came home later and took a nap and had a dream about the place. Essentially I was there at night in my dream. The trees seemed to be alive LOL thank God it was a dream...
Any way this is the result. It is OIL on 24 x 30 inch canvas. Not all the highlighting and shading is complete. What do you all think ?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2004/44366-takemetotheriver.jpg

idahogirl
11-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Hi folks,
I am trying to decide what exactly this is. Surealistic Impressionism? Is there such a thing? I am in the last stages of painting it.
I went for a walk in a park that has these young cypress trees beginning to turn color for the fall along a man made lake. There are small white boulders at the waters edge...
Came home later and took a nap and had a dream about the place. Essentially I was there at night in my dream. The trees seemed to be alive LOL thank God it was a dream...
Any way this is the result. It is OIL on 24 x 30 inch canvas. Not all the highlighting and shading is complete. What do you all think ?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2004/44366-takemetotheriver.jpg
These trees look alive to me. I like the way the base of the trees are formed, makes them look like they could move.... the colors are nice too.

Dee

themanda
11-30-2004, 05:01 PM
i like this a lot. i know you say you're not done, but the moon seems overly bright to me. wouldn't it look nice with radiant lines coming from the moon?

welcome to the forum!

ThurmanHubbard
11-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Nice work, I like the colors you chose for the trees.

Hope to see the finished work when it's done.

AriadneArts
11-30-2004, 05:50 PM
First, it definitely belongs here. It is contemporary and not realism, therefore this is the place.

I like your style very much. Your palette is perfect for this piece. The comp is well-balanced. The moon looks fine to me--not too bright-- and I think rays coming down from it would overdo. JMO. I love the light between the shadows behind the trees. It says bright moonlight to me. Very nice work!

Tamana
11-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Yes, it most definitely belongs here. :)

The moon may seem overly bright because there's no ring around it or gradation of light into the sky. As for the shadows...they all seem indicative of the light source except the last two on the viewer's right - note how they face the moon compared to the others and thus the shadows should reflect that, eg - more to the viewer's right than uniform with the others in direction. Actually the yellow could probably stand a tad of movement in that direction as well - not too apparant now, but it probably will be once you've adjusted the other two.

I too like the palette very much. Perhaps your dream was an analogy of sorts - the ghosts of Christmas (trees) past, perhaps? ;)

TauCetiV
12-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Thank you Tamana, AriadneArts, cablehunter, themanda, deefox!
I did more work on it yesterday and I need to do a little more today... I am relieved that it actually fits a category...was thinking that may be it didnt belong anywhere---I may make just a little fuzz around the moon to soften it just a bit. I told my husband I was scared to touch it because if I mess it up then hense the night sky is messed up. So I compromised and said "Ill do a little halo" I'll post again when I think its finished. Thanks again!
Terri

TauCetiV
12-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Ok Thanks folks I think this is the final and I have to change the name to something like "Escaping Christmas Trees" or something LOL!
Thanks for looking And I thank you inadvance for any comments. I dont want to take up too much time since this is just an update .
Merry Christmas and Happy New year!
Terri
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2004/44366-escapechristmas500x600.jpg

MountainSong
12-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Yep, Like!
It has an ethereal glow - kind of otherworldly. It's much lighter than the other pics now - is this one more representive of the actual piece - or are the colors darker? :)

TauCetiV
12-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Thank you I think it is as close to what it looks like-- I added much more highlighting- It still is some what of a dark painting-- If it ever gets framed - It will need a light over it I think;)

artbyjune
12-19-2004, 05:16 AM
Its a very lovely peaceful painting. I think because it was from a dream partially then the darkness would suit. Also by moonlight.. :clap:

Lynxes123
12-19-2004, 06:09 PM
I really really love this, those little trees seems to have a personality, like they are going to start moving at any second. and the colors you used, and the reflections and moonlight, AHHHH, love it :clap: I think your ring around the moon really worked also.