http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-30-2004/5946_jugs.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-30-2004/5946_redflowers.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Junk
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x14
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
1st piece is oil on board 11 x 14 Alla Prima
Still life of things I found in the junk store

2nd is after Sargent .. can't remember the name of his painting .. Casein on Board 11 x 14 Alla Prima

3rd is based loosely on a piece of a painting from Ospiov (Russian) Casein on Board 11 x 14 Alla Prima

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
nothing .. been and still busy completely rebuilding my web site, learning how to deal with Casein paint, painting my house (again), normal demands of living LOL

MarkMark
11-30-2004, 10:10 AM
The final painting works particularly well. THe contrast beween light and dark and those wonderful reds. The glass vase is wonderful.

The first still life does not in my opinion pull together well for al the reasons that makes your second still life work so well. There probably needs to be stronger contrast between light and dark. Particularly in the glass container on the left. Glass reflects its surroundings or what is stored in it. So I guess you intend to work more on this one - It will be great to see more as you progress.

Wayne Gaudon
11-30-2004, 11:38 AM
Glass reflects its surroundings or what is stored in it. So I guess you intend to work more on this one

Thank you MarkMark:

I'd have to agree that things might be as you assume but your assumption is your ideal of how an item would look based on a predetermined setting.

This is an empty glass bottle lit from above with a small spot light striking the back of it towards the bottom half of the bottle. There is also a front overhead light which produces some reflected overhead light but not as strong as the spot. It is standing in front of a white wall which is on the other side of the room. You won't see through it because of the backlight, it will only reflect what is reflected in the white wall and that would amount to very vague rainbow (pearl) colorings because of the distance between the two objects. The whole beauty of the lighting is that it seperates the bottle from it's surroundings and that was the objective of the painting. I stumbled on the weird lighting as I was playing with my spotlight on the items displayed on the table.

I don't plan on doing anything else as I'm not one to care about a photo like image of reality based information. I take an inspiration and run with it as I prefer to paint freely in an expressionistic mode. I think painting new experiences is more fun than previously expressed impressions. There are a million pieces that express glass reflecting it's surroundings but this is a piece of glass glimmering in it's own light and refusing to share the stage. I think it works but hey, I've been wrong before. :D

pero lane
11-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Wayne...
I love them all!! Of course I'd have to say the last one is my favorite due to the wonderful contrasts and the RED!!! :clap:
I need to PM you when I get a chance...question on painting knives as you've used them so successfully.

Spyderbabe
11-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Hey Wayne - good to see you again.... :wave:
these all sing with clear true color... the ladies positively sway - so dynamic! - hmm the first one... looks like great texture on tallest bottle but top of it irks me.. and you know the third one is a show stopper!

Wayne Gaudon
11-30-2004, 12:57 PM
thanks Pat and Kathleen

LOL ..it's a triangular bottle .. someone else's junk; probably hand made. My wife is with you on the look; she says it's way too weird to even get close to nice so I'm not allowed to put them (I have 2) in the house, only my studio. LOL And yes, red always gets the attention in any crowd. All the bulls in Spain can't be wrong.

LisaArt
11-30-2004, 01:38 PM
Hi Wayne :wave: Good to see you again. I like all three. You have been busy. My favourite is the third one..I love the red contrasts in this. I also like number 2..You did a great job on their shawls (dresses)..Good fold, nice lights and darks..

Gilberte
11-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Glad you're back and with ... a good show. For me it's N 1 and N3 that attract me. Too cold to paint outside I guess ?

(BTW, thanks for your feedback on the use of black in oils !)

Tamana
11-30-2004, 08:10 PM
I wondered where you had been! Nice to see you back. I'm really drawn to the middle one; reminds me somewhat of Gayatri's work.

Mikey
11-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Wayne, I like the first painting, but the third with that red in the darks is my favourite.

Mikey

jerryW
11-30-2004, 09:45 PM
all good
the pot on heads best

MarkMark
12-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Taken to task on my crit.. Thanks Wayne and apologies for not being more in tune with what it was you were trying to do here.

Wasnt trying to be unduly harsh or dismissive.. Least of all 'teach you to suck eggs'

Wayne Gaudon
12-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Thank you Lisa, Gilberte, Tamana, Mikey, Jerry & MarkMark

MarkMark .. it's nice when someone takes the time to ponder their thoughts; thank you. Sometimes they inspire. I just wanted to explain where I was coming from on the piece because everything in context is good and when things are viewed out of context, they don't seem to work. LOL :wave:

It's all about environment .. anything works and looks good if it's in a proper environment or when seen as what it is rather than what one thinks it should be. If that makes any sense at all.

earthbot1
12-01-2004, 02:49 PM
a good series you have going. the figures are well done...i like the red still life the best.