ArtistJensen
11-30-2004, 04:51 AM
An "old" painting.
Oil on board 18x24".
Painted in 1995.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2004/12882-damnation_.jpg

Tamana
11-30-2004, 07:52 AM
Very dramatic painting, Jensen. Excellent title. Reminds me of what Purgatory might look like as well. The red/yellow on the outer figures weave the entire painting together. Good brushes of yellow top viewer's left for balance.

wiscojaydub
11-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Artistjensen..very mood evoking painting...like the compostion and the colors..your bud jaydub :clap:

pearlgirl
11-30-2004, 08:23 AM
It's so good to see more of your art Viking King.

I relate to the damnation of the front figure here. All other figures are distancing themselves from him/her. Folding their arms and wiping their hands.
I'm liking the palette and composition on this one a lot.

Keep them coming friend.

themanda
11-30-2004, 04:52 PM
i like this very much. i was just thinking the other day that it had been a while since we'd seen anything from you...i'm so glad that you posted this!

excellent color and balance. wonderful work.

ThurmanHubbard
11-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Beautiful work and a subject I can personally relate to: banishment and exclusion.
I really like it.

MountainSong
12-01-2004, 01:18 AM
This work really emotes Viking! I think you should pursue this type of brush work in emotive settings. It's rendered well and your figure work reads believably - I strongly feel you should re-visit this style and continue to develop it.
Like. Like. Like. :D :D :D

ronin
12-01-2004, 04:19 PM
yeah that about sums it up. very dark and damning. slightly reminds me of edvard munchs work. nice one.

chandlerjr
12-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Viking,
Love this brush work and palette. It is almost a merging of Impressionism and Expressionism. Very well done. Hope you do more in this style.
Larry C .

Mirek Sledz
12-01-2004, 09:58 PM
hi ArtistJensen :wave: I read in your bio that you was realism painter before
abstract :p it's very interesting - remind me Rembrandt climate a little...although I don't know what is it this scene..you don't describe..

ArtistJensen
12-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Thank you all nice people for your kind words.

Tamana - sweat Tam, glad you like it. Purgatory might be a good title as well, but that was not my idea.

wiscojaydub - thank's bud jaydub. It's a dark mood but that's how life is sometimes for someone.

pearlgirl - dear friend, girl of pearls. You're words shines like pearls. You got the message right. The person on the left side is the damned one.

themanda - dear one. Thank's a lot. I'm glad you like it.

cablehunter - thank's for commenting. I think a lot of people can relate to damnation and exclusion in some form. It's quite common in the society. It's starts with the children in the neighborhood, in schools etc and for some it continues all their life.

MountainSong - Thank's a lot darling songbird. Yes I will revisit and develop this style further. At least I hope to develop. I'll be back.

ronin - I have always liked Munch's works, I must admit. This painting is very dark and damning, by purpose. Edward Munch did a lot of works about the dark and sad stories of life and human mind. But he also painted paintings of love and passion and the lighter parts of living. So do I.

chandlerjr - thank's dear friend. As said I will do more in this style. I'm very glad you like it. I haven't thought of it but your description of the style sounds valid. The painting has elements of both Impressionism and Expressionism.

Mirek Sledz - Thank's Mirek buddy. The painting has the dark background and may be some of the theme and mood of some of Rembrandt's works. But it's certainly not Rembrandt. The scene is not a particular one. It's not based on some known story, legend or historical event. It's just a painting about the damnation and exlusion of humans. Even in Christian communities with preachers and members talking loudly about love, I find a lot of damnation, instead of love of the next of kind. There are a lot of high priests today too, more concerned about damnation than of love. I think Jesus must shed some tears over some of his contemporary diciples. Where is the Christian love, forgiveness and inclusion?

The crowd stand there, with arms crossed saying:
"We can't accept you, we don't want you if you don't do and say and look as we please!".

Turner
12-02-2004, 09:09 AM
I CURSE YOU TO WAIT IN LINE FOR HOURS FOR CONCERT TICKETS and STILL get bad seats!!!

MWAHAHAHAH!

(Cue evil music)

themanda
12-02-2004, 10:52 AM
slightly reminds me of edvard munchs work.

that's it. i couldn't put my thumb on what this reminded me of.