PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Illustration MFA program...

keefry
11-29-2004, 10:14 PM
I'll be graduating next year with a BFA in Drawing and Painting and I was hoping to jump into a Graduate Illustration program, but they seem a tad hard to come by.

I know of a few in California and New York. There's one at Western Connecticut State that I know little about. I do NOT want to go to SCAD.

I will love you forever for help and advice. :)

AFM159
11-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi keefry, thanks for visiting the Illustration Forum. I'm sorry I can't help you, I know there must be some out there, but as to where, I don't know. Maybe someone else will come along that can help.

What benefit do you see in a Graduate program for Illustration?

keefry
11-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Well, I'm in a fine arts program at the moment (I have one illustration class, the rest painting), so I feel that I haven't had nearly enough education in what I want to pursue.

I'd also like my Master's so I'm able to teach some day. From what I understand, teaching is a good way for a freelance artist to get medical benefits and all that. :)

AFM159
12-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Well, I'm in a fine arts program at the moment (I have one illustration class, the rest painting), so I feel that I haven't had nearly enough education in what I want to pursue.

lol - that never goes away!

I'd also like my Master's so I'm able to teach some day. From what I understand, teaching is a good way for a freelance artist to get medical benefits and all that. :)

Fair enough. I was just curious.

LarrySeiler
12-01-2004, 05:51 PM
our own forum member, Jason Seiler (and my oldest boy) is going to the Chicago American Academy of Art working on a degree in illustration. Don't know about a grad program...but, why not email him and ask? He could also answer any questions you may have about the academy.

take care

Larry

TedDawson
12-02-2004, 08:08 PM
I'd recommend checking out Savannah. But it really depends on what your focus is.

For me, the choice would be determined by who I would get to study under. In fact, if I had the opportunity I'd rather work for free in a top painter or illustrator's studio whom I admire. The mentor/apprentise thing is less common nowadays, but still can be done.

As an example, Mike Wimmer (http://www.mikewimmer.com) pursued his studies at the University of Oklahoma, and got a chance to work in Don Ivan Punchatz's studio. Undoubtedly that had more of an effect on his work than anything else.

I've a friend on the east coast who was a cartoonist and also designed the Polaroid packaging/logo and Tonka logo in the sixties. If I could've spent six months sweeping his studio I would've learned more than I ever did in school.

Heck, if you're gonna get a masters, no reason to stick around in the states! Check out Europe, too. Stateside and international schools are listed at gradschools.com (http://www.gradschools.com)

lunajen
12-15-2004, 08:44 PM
The Fashion Institute of Technology in Manhatten (the school I go to) has a MFA program in Illustration..

rheidtke
06-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm also looking for a grad program in illustration. What is your specific interest? Im looking for scientific/biological illustration. I found a program at Santa Cruz that does a certificate program for this. There are a bunch of medical illustration programs which are good if you are looking for immediately employable skills. I think that a lot of MFA programs are self-designed somewhat, like you choose your focus, such as RISDE and Art institute of Chicago. Good luck.