PDA

View Full Version : my stuff finished/unfinished

Leslie_Ann
11-29-2004, 10:56 PM
Hey All. :) I'm hoping to get back into doing vector Fine Art in the new year, but like many others have a problem with finishing work because I get distracted from one project to another.
I'm starting this thread to share and to put the bee in my bonnet to get back to doing vector for me and not just for my job.

The first is my first "art" piece in Illustrator outside of class.Actually, the only art I've ever done that I can say I like in the least.

The second is my first really attempt at gradient mesh in Illustrator. Lots of mistakes, but that's how you learn. :)

The third is my last 'person" gradient mesh with a combo of using blends as well for the hair. I was trying to achieve the mixed look of a human/statue, because I think models can make for very stiff subjects. :D

I've included the outline of that one just to see the workings, but don't take it as any example! It's a messy mesh.

The fourth is a WIP I abandoned on the topic of Gueca Solo. The courtship dance wives in Chile did for their missing husbands, fathers and brothers due to Pinochet's rule. Instead of the men, they are left only with their white dress party shirts. I have about ten other unfinished pieces I hope to get to.

Enjoy. :)

Hopefully, I'll be back with more.

Yako
11-30-2004, 04:07 AM
I liked the composition of your first image.

Also i liked the texture of the fruits, it's very special, it has a bit of an abstract feeling.

The last one (aside from its significance) has a very dynamic composition. It surprised me a bit that such local manifestations such as this reached other countries. I can't imagine the big pain of these people, having a lost relative for years, not knowing where he o she is, if he's alive or not, mourning them for years.

Perhaps Pinochet freed us from an economic catastrophe and possibly liberated us from the possibility of having a communist country but it was with a big cost in human lifes. During Allende's administration things were going worst and worst, at the end, people hardly have something to eat. Luckily my family was away when all these things happened. Perhaps this should have evolved other way.

Leslie_Ann
11-30-2004, 08:54 AM
Hi Yako. :)
In the late 80s I read Eduardo Galeano's book "Open Veins of Latin America"
for a third world anthropology course and learned about this. At the same time the popular artist Sting wrote a song about it because he was moved and to raise awareness. We try very hard in Canada to see beyond our borders, but there so much to see and I hope people from other countries forgive our blindness and occasional ignorance. Especially regarding how fortunate we truly are in North America despite the scares of terrorism.

I can not imagine it either. :( What grabs me is the required silence for their safety and that it is both a protest, and a symbol of love. I don't think I'd ever be able to do that justice.

I am glad things are better for you now. :)
Most of this was done months ago and I have more since then, but I've confused about the direction I want my vector art to take. So many influences, but I think the last one is closest to "my voice"

You do some very beautiful digital art and I look forward to sharing and seeing yours again in the new year. It's nice that sites like this can bring commonalities to us through art isn't it? :)
I'm wondering what Christmas is like there. :)
Take care!

Yako
11-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Christmas in Chile is very traditional. It's celebrated in family. Among children this day is better remembered as Santa Claus' day rather than the birdth of Jesus (incredible because Santa Claus is a foreign tradition, some people say he was a bishop in Scandinavia who gave presents to poor children in the old age). Pine trees are common. The only typical thing we have (it's the only i remember at this moment) is a beverage called "cola de mono" or monkey's tail ( :D he! he! what a funny name!) It's made of spirits, milk, cinnamon, cloves, sugar and coffee. Also we have "queque de pascua" a christmas cake. On this festivities i always prepare some stollen (a german cake) and....if i don't take care they dissapear in minutes

Leslie_Ann
12-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Yako, it snowed today or the first time in Montreal! It's great having a white Christmas and at my job, I get to do bright tshirt graphics like the one I've attached in Illustrator. That distressed look is common on tshirts in North America. Not sure about Chile!My daughter wants the candy ring one. She wants everything!!
That's what is keeping me busy for my own art til the new year.

I like idea of german cake! Santa is everywhere. And family is a common theme. :) Maybe I'll do some vector versions of Christmas family photos to share in '05 :)

Yako
12-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Pretty designs, i like the second one! I think you really have a nice job i wish i could work in something like that! :envy: :wink2: :D

Leslie_Ann
12-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Oh Kareen, why can't you??! :) I don't like to see that little envy smiley from people I think have talent because I don't feel like I should be envied at all.I wish I could do pretty art like you! I am like a furniture maker I think. :) I love my job, but I'm not curing cancer with digital art! *LOL*

Probably my only immortality in art will be people buying the tees with my graphics in stores, and heck, t-shirts get throw out after a year or so!

And my stuff isn't even signed. I like that alot. The anonymity of it and it being just about the art and workmanship.

That's it for me for a while, but when I do post again, I'll also post some steps and techniques, so anyone can try it. Anyone. :)

Leslie_Ann
02-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Well...work has seriously gotten in the way of personal art, but I am taking the time at time to advance and pratice Illustrator skills.
The link in my profile is where my personal experiments will be posted, and I am going to try and make the effort to also explain methods on the pages.
This one here was done using Illustrator CS and a new feature called "scribble". It basically turns shapes into contained scribbles.
The cup itself was rendered freehand from a sketch template and I used the pen tool to make the varying closed shapes for the reflections, played with the opacity of the two pantone colours and used transparencies to give it a bit of a shiny look. The text was warped to fit the shaped of the cup using the arc(lower) tool, as well as doing the same thing for the graphical steam rising(wave arc).Most digital artists understand the difference between vector and raster digital art. This is all vectors.

Thanks for looking, and those with an interest can keep viewing it. :)
The art itself was done for another artist.

Enjoy.

Jet
02-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Lelsie Ann, Hi!
Had been too busy lately and I hadn't seen this thread...

I really like vector original work like yours...I have done only a few 'vector' pieces and i love how they stay sharp regardless of resizing...

These designs have different styles and great feeling overall...

Kudos

Keep 'em coming.. :wave: