PDA

View Full Version : Wagon Wheel (A work in progress-need help)

cotopaxi_annie
11-29-2004, 10:25 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-29-2004/43938_Liam___Wagonwheel_Painting_004.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-29-2004/43938_Liam___Wagonwheel_Painting_003.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Wagon Wheel (A work in progress-need help)
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I found the photo that is the inspiration for this painting in the Photo Reference Library on WC. It is going to be a small painting (only 8"x10". I am, however, having some difficulty with the composition of the painting. I have X-posted this in that category, as well. To me, the photo is a good starting place but it needs more to be an interesting painting. I have a couple of questions for the Wet Canvas Gang. Thanks for your time.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I popped up the color, to a certain degree, from the original photo. Does that work?

I am considering using kind of a Adobe type of wall background to add more color to the background. Maybe a Terra-cotta Shade. What do you think?

I would like to add some type of flowers or such to the foreground, instead of the grass in the photo. Any suggestions?

Also, I am very open to any other comments and/or suggestions that you might have for this project.

Thanks,

Annie

sugar tree gal
11-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Annie, just go for it! add some warm colors for the background..adobe maybe, and plant some flowers if you don't want the grass, I might leave some grass growing in with the flowers, I think you have done a terrific job with the wheel, it had to look two or three times to see which was the painting..... :wave: :clap: Janice

Gilberte
11-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Excellent work on the wood and the iron. Personally I don't think it needs a flower or more color ...... I have a lady friend that paints only machinery, tanks, cranes and it's always so interesting ...
Good continuation !

Spyderbabe
11-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Terrific so far...
I think the importance of the photo is the stark focus on an ordinary object. It's beauty is in the old wood and craftsmanship. So on this little (8x10) canvas I don't think you want to introduce too much more. Only what will enhance the wheel, nothing that will compete with it.

Tamana
11-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Gosh, Annie. Not really qualified to critique or even offer suggestions on still lifes; however, will say I do like the subject matter very much. You have done a great job on the iron. And...just a personal note: yellow flowers change everything. ;)

cotopaxi_annie
11-30-2004, 10:32 PM
I knew that I could count on y'all for great comments and suggestions. Thanks for the input.

Tamana-could you clarify at little, your comment about yellow flowers change
everything. Why yellow? Change in what way?

Spyder babe- I think that you are right about not introducing anything that
would take away from the wagon wheel. I really love painting
old rustic things like this. I want to keep it the focus of the
painting.

Gilberte-Thanks for reinforcing the emphasis on the actual wagon wheel. It is
my focus. That is one of the reasons that I popped up the color on
it somewhat above the actual color. For some reason, I really like
subjects that are not contained on the canvas. I would like to see
some of your friend's work.

sugar tree girl-Thanks for the comments on the Wagon Wheel and all. I think
that I would like to go for a really muted adobe color with
appropriate shadows. I would like to find a way to add some
tiny flowers to the grass without taking away from the focus
on the wagon wheel.

All of you---thanks for your time.

Annie

Frida200
11-30-2004, 11:07 PM
... I almost just painted a very similar thing... also a wagon wheel, but it had "something" in front of it... (see pic)

LOL, makes a great photograph, but I think for a painting, just the wheel works great. And look - the rust is almost the same color as in your painting!!!

I like it the way it is, hope you'll post the finished work,

Claudia

cotopaxi_annie
12-02-2004, 03:52 AM
Hi There Claudia,

Thanks for the comments and the photo. That is a darling picture. I would have liked to have seen the way you would have painted the wagonwheel. I like your work and am impressed by the wide variety of styles you command.

I will post it when I think that it is finished. Shouldn''t take much longer, hopefully.

Thanks for your input.

Annie

blevdog
12-02-2004, 04:48 AM
I am a very very amateur painter, but I would like to see a little green grass or other green to really make the rust of the wheel stand out. I also would try to add some cool colored background on the left hand side to focus attention on the wheel. :) Looks great even as it is though.

Andrew
12-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Your beginning is outstanding. Wait until you have some of the background in to see how it all works. You are working in oils, and can always scrape back what you don't like.

Andrew