GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Keisha's Eye
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 7 x 7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a partial face that I painted. I would like some critique tempered with kindness for an artist that is new to watercolor.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What things should I watch for in future faces/portraits in watercolor?

Artistanne
11-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Wow, I love this idea of the partial face! And your watercolor technique is wonderful.

The only thing I might suggest is that her eye looks a little flat compared to the rest of her face. Maybe get some shadow on the whites and some darks on the pupil, but otherwise this is fabulous. The mouth is outstanding! :clap:

katju
11-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Gene,

I don't usually hang out here but will give you some feedback...Looks like Artistanne just posted and I agree with what she said. The mouth is superb because it gives strong feeling of depth. I think the eye and nose just aren't quite finished. Areas to consider shading to increase depth - inside corner of eye, shadow on top of eyeball from upper eyelid, crease in upper eyelid (I think the eyebrow should be a little higher), sides of nostrils usually are dark, bridge of nose, sides of nose up near corners of eyes, underneath nose.

Your use of watercolor here is very nice. You could probably still play around with these features and increase the depth with one or 2 washes.

Kathy

Gilberte
11-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Good excersice.
One can never do enough. You're handling the medium very well. Take a look at some watercolor teaching books in your library ... lots of styles and techniques.

Tamana
11-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Like looking through a keyhole into her soul.