PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Sunrise

woodguy
11-29-2004, 05:15 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-29-2004/5058_autumnsunrise.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Autumn Sunrise
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 24 x 32
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A bit different for me, especially the palette. This one is proving to be quite a challenge. Too many things going on. I think.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This may turn out to be a WIP forever! Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim

ponting
11-29-2004, 05:28 PM
OOOOOOOh! Lots going on but I like it!! What a happy painting......certainly can't be compared to a cold winter's day. If I was absolutely forced to have to find something that I might fix.....I had to look hard...perhaps the cobalt/ultra at the top (which is such a wonderful colour) might be toned down to keep the viewer from stopping overly long there. The tree line on the right the intersects the two shadowed fields might want to be depicted as also being partially in shadow. Thats it!! Great painting......Di :wave:

Londondeon
11-29-2004, 06:28 PM
I love it and wouldn't change a think. The perspective is great and feels like a late time of day in autumn. Really nice. I love the blue shadows.
Londondeon

earthbot1
11-29-2004, 06:57 PM
very nice!

haaf
11-30-2004, 05:31 AM
Hi Jim
it's a nice something new
I like it a lot
.maybe also some blue in the low left corner shadowy parts? (tiny bit)
.just wondering about the length of the shadow of the big tree, shouldn't that be longer and hit the line of bushes? just a question
Caroline ;)

LisaArt
11-30-2004, 06:05 AM
Hi Jim,
The perspective is great feels very autumn. Really nice. I love the blue shadows.
Perhaps just my monitor or the picture, but I agree with Di about tonight down the cobalt/ultra at the top

Katherine T
11-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Hi Jim

Love the colours and like the idea behind the composition - but I agree that the cobalt colour is overpowering the other colours at present. Have you tried looking athis in greyscale?

Katherine

Esmeralinda
11-30-2004, 08:37 AM
For sure, I love this painting. It' so full of life and energy. Love those colours very much. Maybe tone down just a little the blue at the top left as was already suggested. Very interesting perspective and composition. The light is magnificient !

I do love this painting !

E. :wave:

Rabbit Twilight
11-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Hi Jim! I wouldn't change a thing. It's really a great painting. I like what you've been doing with paint lately.

MarkMark
11-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Cant see that there is anything you need to add or subtract on this one.

Perhaps put it aside for a few weeks and look at it again then. Try turning the painting to face the wall - that way you wont look at it all the time and see things through fresh eyes when you come back to it.

Moosehead
11-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Jim,yes this does look different from your other work, but again, I think it is fantastic. Really strong sun. Love the bright whites on the buildings and the strong blue shadows amongst the orange. No sky and I still like it :D .

Your last couple have been some of my favourites.

Interesting perspective-you are much taller than I thought :D .

pero lane
11-30-2004, 11:54 AM
This is awesome Jim!! :clap: I agree with the suggestion to tone down the blue upper right just a tad but other than that...WOW!! :clap:

Tamana
11-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Great perspective. Like looking down from a hilltop. Like the highlights of lighter blue against the cobalt. And the vegetation is so vibrant. Just lovely. I can feel the autumnal breeze against my face. :)

jerryW
11-30-2004, 09:54 PM
I wish I was heare earlier
walk awaay instantly and chain up your paintbox.

it's that good - yes.

instargalv
11-30-2004, 10:07 PM
A great composition and great color! The birdseye view is especially effective.

Robert

woodguy
11-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Thank you everybody very much for the wonderful comments! I won't do a long list of individual thanks, but I do appreciate each and every one. I have not gone back into this, but for those who have suggested toning down the bright cobalt/ultra blue I must say that it is really not as intense as it appears. I took three different digital photos of this when I first posted, but could not get my camera to record the blue as it really is. Even in Photoshop I could not get it right. I started this one at 10:30 Sun night (after a disappointing Denver Bronco's loss :crying: ) and didn't finish until 5:30 the next morning. It was really a challenge to "manage" all that was/is going on and especially the values. I normally rely on Sap Green and Raw Sienna, but it wasn't working so I had to switch to Viridian and Cad Yellow...then it started to click! I am still thinking about Di and Caroline's shadow suggestions, and no Jon, I am not that tall. My head is just in the clouds (looking for another skyscape?). And, "It's that good" means alot Jerry.
Thanks again to all! Jim

dornberg
12-01-2004, 12:38 AM
i like the design in this perspective

sfumato1002
12-01-2004, 03:49 AM
woodguy, you are great artist. I think you should never change you paintings once you are done with them. This painting looks amazing. the blue part some suggested you to change is beautiful and I would not touch it. Everything about this painting is perfect dont change a thing. great painting!

Rabbit Twilight
12-01-2004, 09:12 AM
I wish I was heare earlier
walk awaay instantly and chain up your paintbox.

it's that good - yes.
I definately agree with Jerry. This one is finished, and it's one of your best!

Mikey
12-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Jim, the challenge has obviously been good for you. It surely works for me.

Mikey

woodguy
12-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Thank you, Bob!

Thank you again, Bobbi!

Thank you, MB! Very nice comments, indeed :D

Thank you, Mikey! I'm off to the next challenge right now.