PDA

View Full Version : Basics 101: Class 6 - Drawing Conical Objects - Old thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

JayD
11-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Basic 101: Class 6

Drawing Conical Objects

What can you say about a cone. It’s a cylinder gone bad. It’s a tunnel that leads to a disappointing ending. It holds ice cream and stops traffic. It is simply hard to picture cones—they are, after all, so “blendy”

Here is what Merriam Webster says:

Main Entry: 1cone
Pronunciation: 'kOn
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin conus, from Greek kOnos
1 a : a solid generated by rotating a right triangle about one of its legs -- called also right circular cone b : a solid bounded by a circular or other closed plane base and the surface formed by line segments joining every point of the boundary of the base to a common vertex -- see VOLUME table c : a surface traced by a moving straight line passing through a fixed vertex

De Reyna says that a cone is a solid mass that tapers uniformly from a circular base to a fixed point.

Look for this form first in the object that you wish to attempt. It might be small, it might be big—it will not be shaped like a pig.

‘You will need the following materials.

1. Two lines of any length

2. An ellipses

Demonstration:

Step 1: Begin by drawing your center line.

Step 2: Next draw a horizontal line at the top that crosses perpendicular to the center line

Step 3: Now draw lines from the ends of the horizontal line so that they meet in a single point at the bottom of the center line.

Step 4: Finally at the top, draw an ellipsis connecting the two edges

Ok, you are ALL now experts and have conquered the devious cone. Now let’s do an Ice Cream Cone—the CLASSIC cone:

Step 1: Draw your cone like you did in the first demonstration.

Step 2: Once you have established your cone, start adding the detail. For the ice cream portion at the top, draw a sphere and modify it to look like overflowing ice cream.

Step 3: Finally, add the ridges that surround the cone.

Exercises:

1. Look around your world—both inside and outside for signs of “conage”. Remember that cones will be obvious but sometime you have to look inside—see if you can locate the cone—draw it first THEN build the detail around it.

PS: Below are links to the previous class and pre-class threads!
Basic 101:Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs--PLEASE READ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221326)
Basic 101:Class1 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223763) Class 2 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225461) Class 3 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228822) Class 4 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230387) Class 5 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231940)

Here are some pictures for you to try. Feel free to post any other examples. Have fun and happy drawing!

JayD
11-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Here are the rest:

Deb Leger
11-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi Jay,

I was about to rub my hands together, with a bit of glee, and whisper, "this one'll be a cinch". But then, reality set in and it hit me that those are the ones that end up being the toughest!

I'll get it pdf'ed as soon as I can.

Geeeeeeeeeeeez! I just saw the spider! Did you have to include that??? :D :D Yuck! I sure wont' be drawing that one! :evil:

Another great lesson! (Other than the spider!)

rangerette
11-29-2004, 05:28 AM
Geeeeeeeeeeeez! I just saw the spider! Did you have to include that??? :D :D Yuck! I sure wont' be drawing that one! :evil:

me too! - i almost threw up :(

-thanks jay - will try these out later today.

-tracy

Reinhard1
11-29-2004, 06:34 AM
Guys, guys, let's take an objective look at spiders. I know that many people shy away from them but please keep in mind that is only the spiders assuring that the insects didn't eat us all. My wife is scared of them as well but the fact remains. Any living spider is hundreds of insects living less. (I had to chip in for these so wi(l)dely misunderstood animals). Plus, it is a really challenging picture to draw.

JayD
11-29-2004, 06:48 AM
Reinhard is right--I see spheres, cones, and cylinders. My world is complete!!! :evil:

sultry
11-29-2004, 07:13 AM
Hi Jay,
I am still working on the cougar and I noticed that the nose is a cone :clap: It needs more detail in tones to show the shape better.
So you see I am still working along with the class in shapes with this piece.

Anyways I will stop and tackle a couple of the pictures you have but I thought you would like to see the progress so far on her.

btw, I found a different picture of a cougar which shows the eyes. I am very particular to showing the eyes as realistic as possible.

Anyways, have to get ready for work.

JayD
11-29-2004, 07:34 AM
Sultry, thanks for posting the cat--good example--not the nose,though but you are still correct--the entire muzzle is a cone as are the ears. Do you see any more?

Mary Woodul
11-29-2004, 08:02 AM
Hi Jay D, why in the world did you think of the spider?....................good eye!!! Thank you for the pictures..............including the spider :evil:

JayD
11-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Diversity of subject, Mary--besides--I like spiders. They are graceful, beautiful and ruthless at the same time.

sultry
11-29-2004, 09:01 AM
Jay the cones? hmmm would it be the ears? upside down cones on the cheeks and yes your right the muzzle. I meant that lol. hmmm anymore?
well how about the 2 bones over the muzzle and a cone shape like thingy over each eye?

ohhhh spiders give me the heebie geebies but I guess they are one of God's creatures too and deserve the credit Reinhardt1 said.

Sorry Jay but they can dance graceful far far away from me. :p

Give me a wild ferocious cougar any ole day. :D

JayD
11-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Cones are everywhere today, aren't they, Sultry? Yeah, I just noticed the one's above the eyes and of course the ears.

g7i7n7a
11-29-2004, 10:06 AM
HI jayd,and everyone.
just read thru the lesson,loooking gooood! :clap:
can't tackle it today, house in chaos, but will tomorrow.
glad you pointed out the cones on the cougar, because I would have missed that...thankyou
gina
enjoy your day :cool:

JayD
11-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Hi, Gina-good luck with the house stuff--I am off from work until thursday and will return to work then so I am just hanging around here for now. Looks to be an exciting upcoming class.

Next week we get to put all of this stuff together. :evil:

Fireman's kid
11-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Sorry, I'm with Deb and Sultry. Spiders give me the heebie jeebies BIG time. I shuddered just seeing the pic. I could never draw it! It's funny because my 5 year old twin girls make fun of me. They know I am afraid of spiders and they say, "Moooooommmm, it's only a spider. It's so small it can't hurt you." (I haven't taught them about poisoness spiders. Figured I would give them one less worry in the world. LOL ) But the spiders and I have an understanding. I let them live unless they come inside my house. If they are inside they are dead. Bug eaters or not, because I don't want to be mistaken as a bug. :D

However, I do love the flask! Despite suffering through chemistry labs in high school and college, I still hold a certain affection for glassware. Yes, I'm strange I know. :wink2:

Not sure when I'll get to these, but I'll follow everyone else's progress while waiting to have something to post myself.

JayD
11-29-2004, 10:32 AM
EVERYBODY!!! When you get a chance lets all give a hearty heigh ho silver and a roaring round of applause to our fearless Moderators Artdude and Zarathrustra and our WCGuides, Deepat and Stoy Jones for all their help and support in this huge project. Thanks, Dudes! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
11-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Thanks Moderators and Guides :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm including you and Jet in that applause to Jay. I appreciate all of you, big time! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Meant to mention the pdf for Class 6 is now uploaded. The link is listed in my signature :)

mothsailor
11-29-2004, 10:51 AM
EVERYBODY!!! When you get a chance lets all give a hearty heigh ho silver and a roaring round of applause to our fearless Moderators Artdude and Zarathrustra and our WCGuides, Deepat and Stoy Jones for all their help and support in this huge project. Thanks, Dudes! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A big THANK YOU guys! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
11-29-2004, 11:22 AM
A big THANK YOU guys! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And more . . . you guys do sooooo much for us!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
11-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Thank you muchly guys,!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]and I second Ann's proposal. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
11-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Moderators Artdude and Zarathrustra and our WCGuides, Deepat and Stoy Jones
and JayD and Jet

Thanks All!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

bjcpaints
11-29-2004, 02:03 PM

I very much appreciate everyone's help and participation here!

Oh I did some ice cream cones Saturday morning - good - I am on target. I also did the seashell from the book the way De Reyna explained; starting with the 2 cones. Unfortunately, it did not come together properly so I tried tracing over it with thin paper to get it lined up and put together correctly. You will see both when I am able to use my puter at home again. Anyway, this was the 1st time I was able to trace my drawing and be happy with it. Is it just me, or does tracing seem harder than drawing sometimes? Well, I know I have a hard time seeing what I am tracing.
Barbara
ps Sultry - good job on that cougar - I have not had the courage yet to try that one.

mhimeswc
11-29-2004, 02:36 PM
I mentioned the fact that I was going to have to buy some ice cream cones for reference for my homework, but my kids didn't buy it. They have made it their mission in life to keep their Weight Watcher mom away from ice cream and other goodies. SO I guess no chocolate cones, or bugles (do the still make them?)

I will have to dig out my seashells and see what I can come up with.

JayD, I didn't sketch the tadpoles because if I look into their bowl they start zipping all over the place and I can't keep up with them. But you were right - little spheres with a tail. :-)

I took your advice and got a splint. Typing is slow. I don't know if I can draw with one. I may have to take it off. I'm printing out lesson 6 right now.

Michelle

JayD
11-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Hey Michelle--I hope the splint helps--I keep mine handy at all times. IF I had my druthers, I require everyone in this class to wear a splint on their drawing hand. The reason:

The ONLY way you can adequatly drawing with comfort is by drawing from the elbow. :D

Mary Woodul
11-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Hi JayD and class. I did some exercises this morning and now I am working on my spider, (it is beginning to grow on me, JayD).

Sultry, the expression on your cougar is very friendly, almost loving I would say.

JayD
11-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Oh, Mary--right on the mark! good use of the centerline to balance the drawing. I can't wait to see your spider.

Incidently, I picked the spider because I really think you folks are up to it--it will slide nicely into the next class as well.

L2isa2
11-29-2004, 04:15 PM
To All our,

WCGuides & Moderators Artdude and Zarathrustra , Deepat and Stoy Jones and JayD and Jet

I Thank you from the bottom of my hear and I really appreciate every thing you have and continue to do here on Wet Canvas :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :

Regards
Lisa

sultry
11-29-2004, 05:00 PM
THANK YOU
Mucho Gracias
Mucho Gracias
Mucho Gracias
Moderators Artdude and Zarathrustra and our WCGuides, Deepat and Stoy Jones
and JayD and Jet &&&&&& The whole class for your C & Cs. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wonderful job on the cone pics Mary. ~~KAV~~~ :clap:

(which means kool aid vantasitc) another way of saying Outstanding.

edited to add Thanks bjpaints & Mary for the compliment on the cougar. Yes Mary I want her to look sweet ( funny when I feel happy and NOT sick my work shows my moods). I sketched a grouchy cat a couple of weeks ago and I was not in a bad mood ( he came out really grouchy ). lol

artdude
11-29-2004, 06:32 PM

THANKS for the KUDOS for us "behind the scenes people" everyone!! :D

You may not see me but I am WATCHING YOU ALL!! LOL :D:) :wink2:

Murray
------------------------

Deb Leger
11-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Many, many thanks to Artdude and Zarathrustra and Deepat and Stoy Jones for their behind the scenes work for all of us!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And many, many thanks to Jay for such great lessons that are teaching us so much :clap: :clap: :clap:

And many, many thanks to Jet for his constant help and unending well of links for info :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb

JayD
11-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Ok Kids--back to work--let's see some spiders!!! :evil:

Do focus on the cones though-- :)

grimm
11-29-2004, 08:24 PM
I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU as well. I haven't posted much but am following the lessons and think this is an invaluable resource!!!

Thanks again to all that make this possible!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
11-29-2004, 08:29 PM
101'ers,

Ugh that spider! I have one just like it, a real (dead) one enclosed in a glass paperweight, and he is UGLY!

First posts...
Any SNL fans?

Mary Woodul
11-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Judi, You cone has real ice cream on it. It looks so yummy and I love the other drawings, the hat and the expression are great.

Well JayD, have to admit I enjoyed doing the spider, I couldn't see the eyes and didn't know where they were supposed to go so I omitted them. :cat:

Judi1957
11-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Mary,
You know it is best if he, the spider, doesn't see you! LOL. Really well done!!!! It looks like he is coming thu a mist to get you!!! :clap: :clap:

The guy with the hat is actually a 'Conehead'. He was part of a skit group in a very popular American late evening show called Saturday Night Live. The Coneheads were from another planet. It was a HOOT! The Coneheads are long gone but the show survives. I think JayD will remember him.

g7i7n7a
11-29-2004, 10:49 PM
thankyou - artdude
Zarathrustra
Deepat
Stoy - a thousand thankyous to our invisible friends.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

well done, Judy! You captured dan akroyds likeness - excellently! :clap:

Mary - Bravo, on the spider!! :clap: looks perfect!

(hope to submit something soon....chaos is slowly subsiding..)
sincerely,
gina

JayD
11-29-2004, 11:07 PM
Judi--I don't know if I like your drawing more or your wit. I DELIBERATELY ignored the Coneheads--one of my favorite SNL skits. Of the three that you submitted, I love the ice cream cone best--here is the thing: My cone is a demonstration--just a straight out cone--your is interesting to look at--good texture and a curious angle. I love th bottle secondly because...well...I love bottles but you have made an honest attempt to capture the texture and the lettering is superb. The third is our conehead friend from the "South of France"(Remulac)--nicely done--this would make a great design for a prosthetic make up application. Outstanding work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary, spiders are wonderous works of natural mechanics--they are very interesting to watch yet they possess a vicious horror that makes many of us cringe. If we were elephants, spiders would be our mice. It looks like you chose to handle the drawing gingerly. I don't know if that was because you were cringing or just a good light touch. I can feel the spider walking across my hand--I turn--see it there--and freak. Well done, Mary. :clap: :clap:

I have a feeling this is going to be a good week.

sultry
11-30-2004, 12:30 AM
Wowwwwwwww I got the giggles when I saw that cone head Judi Great Job hon & the ice cream too.

Mary you captured the Spider ohhhhhhhhh I have goose bumps just looking at it.

A big ~KAV~ to you both :clap: :clap:

Deb Leger
11-30-2004, 01:39 AM
Reinhard, I think I'd rather the insects! :wink2: (Thank God that we don't have them here in Eastern Ontario! I'd have to move otherwise.) I hope you take up the challenge, draw it and share it with us. Are you following the class lessons?

Sultry, your cougar is coming along wonderfully! ~~KAV~~ Cherry Red KAV's! (Cherry was my favourite Kool-aide! :D )

Jay, graceful? Beautiful? Slide nicely? And this describes spiders with furry legs??? We'll never be on the same wavelength with them. When I start drawing something, I'm finding that as I really get into it, it's like I get to know that which I'm drawing almost intimately - every little crook and cranny through every little mark on that paper. It is just beyond comprehension to me to get to know spiders like that by drawing them. I'll do extra homework instead, k? I'll even do the WDE this week! :angel: But, you-know-where is going to freeze over before I draw that furry legged monster that walks to the tune of the old Jaws music.

Barbara, I hope you get your computer back in order to post your pics.

Mary, what great cones you've done! :clap: I'm hoping to get mine done, or started tomorrow night after work.

Grimm, that's great that you're following the lessons! You'll get a lot more out of them if you post your work and get the feedback. We won't bite. (We're not spiders.)

Judi, what an awesome ice cream cone! :clap: Your bottle is great also. Remember John Candy from SNL? He was just so great!

Mary, sorry but I could only glance very quickly at your drawing. Nice. Very nice work! I think he needs some cage bars around him, though.

(Just kidding. :wink2: )

Deb

Okay, I'll shut up on the spiders now.

mothsailor
11-30-2004, 02:32 AM
Wow, so much done already! I'll have to get down to it tonight (or maybe I can snatch a bit of time today when I'm supposed to be working! Don't tell anyone :wink2: ).

Sultry: Your cougar is great. It was fun to do, wasn't it? Well done on the fur.

Mary: great job on the spider...he looks really hairy!

Judi: I remember the coneheads from when I used to live in the US. Great cones!

Now, got to get my daughter off to school!!

JayD
11-30-2004, 06:37 AM
Great Job so far everyone. Don't forget that if it is relevant to the class subject, if you are doing the weekly thread, you can also post your weekly thread project here--the catch:

Make sure that you explain its relevancy to the rest of the class so that we al benefit from the educational aspect.

Happy drawing!! :)

L2isa2
11-30-2004, 07:13 AM
Hi Every one :)

Have a few rough sketches from WDE's last weekend, and some for the conicals for here, also have an unfinished Weekly drawing challenge too !!

Would love some C&C on any or all items :D

As to posting the Weekly drawing challenge here is to say , I can see

a cylinder,ellipse, spheres, and there is a cone shape in there too but I have not done a very good job displaying it on this one !! Does that cover it JayD?

off to do a Big Freddie :D (spider )

Regards
Lisa

L2isa2
11-30-2004, 07:15 AM
It is me again with a couple more sketches !!

C&C Most Welcome :)

Regards
Lisa

JayD
11-30-2004, 07:55 AM
Lisa: You have done some beautiful work here. I am left scratching my head over the eggtime because it looks distorted. Good cones though and then I saw that you had diliberately curved the church steeple which I like very much so I am left with the question--is the egg time diliberately having a non-V8 day? Regardless, a good job with the shading.

The watch: l like the watch but is it proportioned correctly--it looks like the winding pin is a bit large but I would have to look a the reference to make a clear call. I like the texture of this piece and I have a clear understanding that this piece is make of metal.

The Jug, Vase, whatever--You know, Lisa, I never realized how much this piece looks like a chess piece (a pawn). It is tilting slightly to the left--using a center line will certainly correct that if you decide to do another one- Otherwise, you really have a good feel for texture. It is an exquisite piece. Well done.

Ice Cream Cone: I love it--again with the instinct for texture. Amazing. You have kept the drawing simple and to the point (pardon the obvious conical pun) and that is what makes this drawing work.

I like the picture or kettle with the spout and the arm--again, it is leaning to the right but with the outstretched arms it seems ot come to life. Very interesting--like it is wiggling.

I love your tree--they are not as easy to do as some people will assume.

The church spire: It reminds me of the ice cream cone--simple, deliberate and to the point. I still don't know if you bowed it on purpose but I could see it in Wonderland dancing around at a tea party. Very orighinal.

The stones: Well, Lisa we are not doing outdoors yet but I like this sketch--it is loose and has a lot of feeling and, again, textural heart. As a sketch, I like it very much.

Two things to remember Lisa--use the center line on symetrical objects and check your work with a mirror to assure that portions of your brain have staged an artisic coup on your intent. :) A hearty applause for your work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
11-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Sultry, the cougar is coming along beautifully.

Mary, your drawings are outstanding. The shapes are right on and wow that spider. I call them my "roomies" as it seems wherever I live they come to live with me. Could it be because I'm afraid of them and snakes. Just hope the snakes stay away :D

Judi, I really enjoyed your drawings. Love those sugar cones lol. That conehead is just great.

Lisa, I enjoyed your drawings from the WDE. Are you by chance left-handed? I noticed that your drawings tend to lean toward the left while mine lean to the right (I'm right-handed). Another thing I enjoyed about your work are the values which give more volume to the work. Nicely done.

Blah
11-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Many, many thanks to Artdude and Zarathrustra and Deepat and Stoy Jones for their behind the scenes work for all of us!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And many, many thanks to Jay for such great lessons that are teaching us so much :clap: :clap: :clap:

And many, many thanks to Jet for his constant help and unending well of links for info :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb

I second that wholeheartedly.

Blah

Blah
11-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Jay and class, I am snowed in with work and won't be able to draw for a couple of days. However I couldn't resist logging on and at least looking at this thread.

Sultry, nice to see that your cougar is coming along very well.

Mary, all your cones -ice cream cone, lamp and glasses - are perfect, and the spider is beautifully drawn.

Judi, lovely ice cream cone and the conehead. The bottle is not in the same league mainly because of the side of the bottle (unless that's how the reference is). The cone (in the ice cream cone) itself has a nice texture and you have done a very fine job on the facial features of the conehead.

Lisa, you have been really busy. I admire the dark tones you are able to get in your drawing. I do not know if it is done effortlessly but that is the impression that your drawings give.

The watch, earthware jug, and coniferous tree in particular are very nice. The stem and the crown in the watch are very beautifully drawn and the highlights are all very good.

I have some doubts about the shadow of the jug. It does not go with the shading on the jug itself. and also starts at almost the midpoint of the base.

Jay and Ann have already mentioned the tilt in some your drawings, which of course could be deliberate.

The ice cream cone and stone wall are also nicely drawn, though the ice cream itself seems to be hanging on precariously.

The shading is very nice in everything that you have drawn.

Blah

L2isa2
11-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Hi JayD, Ann, Blah,

Thank you for your you encouragement, comments and critique I really do appreciate it:D

Now how much do I admit to being deliberate !!! :evil: Hmmmmmm well let us see as I write this post shall we !! :evil:

JayD, in answer to your query about the deliberateness (SP?) of tilting of the church spire , and the egg timer, it was deliberate. But the tilting of the Jug was not thank you for pointing that out :D

As to the tree I enjoy trees , having got a rather large 100 yr old oak in the back yard I spend many an hour watching the birds and flying insects and creatures that move and live around it :D

The Watch , I must admit I was intent on trying to get the details from the winding pin, and my concentration slipped on the proportions quite a bit !!

I have lots of trouble with the central line way of doing things , I cannot mirror image with the line and it seems to be the same without the line , have you any further ideas on how I can mirror image correctly ? I have sheets and sheets of rough sketches with a centre line through them trying to get the eveness and mirror image with no success :( Thank you I will work on the point you have made :D

Anne, Thank you for your comments, and in answer to your question Yes I do favor my left hand to sketch :D

Blah, Thank you, for your comments , your are quite correct the shading on the jug is out , the ice cream was threatening to fall off the one I was sketching from ! The darks are a case of heavy handedness !

Thank you so much for your comment :) Still working on freddie catch up with you later :)

JayD
11-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Lisa, I would like you to draw an egg--but do it this way:

1. Draw the center line

2. The one side of the egg.

3. Turn your paper upside down.

4. Draw the OTHER side of the egg

5. check the balance by looking at the reflection your drawing in the mirror.

6. Post your result.

See if that helps. If not, we'll figure something else out.

L2isa2
11-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi JayD,

Gosh you are working faster than speedy gonzalous his self :D

Thank you I have drawn an egg with a central line as you asked and here is the result .

I drew the the above the line part of the egg, then turned the paper around and drew the bottom line of the egg , the only thing I have done is try and put the shading in the right place for the egg after looking in the mirror, but you can see the lines (I have not touched ) are still sooo not right .

Thank you for your help :D

oops for got to put the pic !!silly me !!

Regards
Lisa

idcrisis55
11-30-2004, 11:00 AM
The attached drawing is not in the lesson but wanted to share it as it does have cones for the ears :D

I am involved in doing a painting a week with a small group of artists friends (Deb being one of them) and this week's photo to paint is the rocking horse from the RIL by greenpearl (thank you) shown Here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=28741&sort=1&cat=all&page=1). So I decided to draw/sketch each week the subject chosen (at least most of the time).

JayD
11-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Green pearl sent me this photo by email a long time ago along with a close up and I have not yet gotten to drawing it. I am glad it was posted because it is a good photo.

Ann, I would like you to break this horse down into it basic componenets for me. I think you will see that it does fit nicely into the class.

Would anyone else like to try as well.

ANNOUNCEMENT: AS YOU ALL KNOW, NEXT WEEK IS THE PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER CLASS. STOY JONES WILL BE PROVIDING AN IMAGE IN THE WEEKLY DRAWING THREAD WHICH WILL COUNT AS YOUR "MIDTERM". THIS WILL BE A MANDATORY IMAGE AND I WOULD ENCOURAGE ALL OF YOU TO PARTICIPATE. YOU HAVE ALL PERFORMED EXCELLENTLY AND I AM VERY PROUD TO HAVE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK WITH YOU. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO POST THE MIDTERM ON BOTH THREADS. :)

JayD
11-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Lisa: guess what--it may not be perfect but I think everyone here will agree that it is a vast improvement. It wasn't the center line that did the trick nor turning it upside down--you paid attention and your powers of observation took over. Try a few quick symetrical objects. You will find that with practice 'the lean to-s" will disappear.

sultry
11-30-2004, 11:22 AM
heyyy Lisa cool Jug & ice cream cone great texture. ~KAV~ :clap:

Thank you for the C & C on the cougar Deb; Dave; Ann; & Blah its appreciated very much. :wave:

Umm my next submission may not be accepted as well. :(

LOL, Jay I will say this, I hate spidersssss & since you expected me to sketch one I have a big surprise for you. :eek:

Hint: Spider-Sicle (ha ha) :D :wink2: :evil: :p

umm you did say be creative....

edited to add...
Ann I love the rocking horse ~KAV~ :clap:

I painted a ceramic merry go around horse attached to a pole when completed. The class was fun and your sketch reminds me of it.

hmmm may be a nice painting for a child's room as a set with a rocking horse and a merry go around horse.

idcrisis55
11-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Jay, here are cones drawn on the rocking horse. It surprised me how many were actually there :)

Thanks Sultry :)

JayD
11-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Sultry, cannot wait to see your spidersicle. Sounds delicious! :D

JayD
11-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Ann, excellent--if you can visualize before drawing the geometric breakdown of any object--you will be able to draw it with no problem. :)

L2isa2
11-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Thank you JayD, For your help :D

I will do some more symmetricals and try not to lean to much :D

oh here is a quickie of a spider, C&C appreciated I have to run now it id dinner time here !!

Regards
Lisa

Judi1957
11-30-2004, 12:37 PM
JayD, Thanks! Will attempt the UGLY one this evening. :D

Sultry, I missed commenting on your cougar. He is really comming along great. Look forward to seeing the finale! :clap:

Lisa, Good job! I especially like the vessel. :clap: Fantastic spider, just caught him when I submitted. :clap:

Gina, Thanks! Hope you are settled in soon. Miss you here. Moving is no fun!

Deb and Dave, Thanks! :wave:

Ann, Thanks. Your hobby horse is looking grand! :clap:
You have a group of artist friends, including Deb? I am jealous! :envy: :envy:
But I am glad to have my friends here! :clap:

Hello Blah! Thanks for the Critique! :wave: Sorry you are so swamped!

JayD
11-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Lisa, an ominous looking spider--I like very much. You have spider in you. :D Excellent work!

mothsailor
11-30-2004, 02:18 PM
I don't know what you speedy guys are on, but I want some of it! :)

Excellent work, everyone. All the spiders are particularly good. :clap: :clap: It looks really hard to draw to me! :eek:

Anyway, here's the jug I just did for the weekly drawing thread. I'll see if I've got time to do some more tonight.

JayD
11-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Dave, outstanding work. Did you break it down before comitting to the drawing?

mothsailor
11-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Yep. You asked me that once before...does it look like I don't? :) Maybe I should be taking more time over that part of the drawing...I'm afraid I do get impatient, and plus I don't have all that much free time so I probably hurry more than I should.

mothsailor
11-30-2004, 02:52 PM
OK, here are a few simple cones. Time to attempt the spider, I think! :)

mothsailor
11-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Just noticed that that was my 100th post to WC! Suddenly, I'm a "Senior Member!" :cool: :cat:

g7i7n7a
11-30-2004, 03:07 PM
congratulations Dave, on your promotion :D

I like the shading on your jug/vase thingey. it looks sort of atmospheric, ( I'm not really experienced in making comments like that yet, but that's what my spidey sense is telling me....)

btw, how do you find that out, i mean, about becoming a senior member?

gina

JayD
11-30-2004, 03:16 PM
OK, you guys have a one track mind! The ice cream is really cranking here! :D Love your cone Dave--excellent work

I asked you about breaking down the object because when you draw--you eventually want to instantly 'see" those objects and then keep them in mind when you do your drawing. You don't want to always draw the sphere sittin' in a cone. You want to "envision" the cone and the sphere together and then draw the relevant shapes--that is the goal so I asked you the question before to inquire about your processes--in this case the jug. :) It was very good.

I will confess that when I draw a figure, I don't go breakin' the poor guy down into cylinders but we will be doing that as a way of just developing our obervational skills.

mothsailor
11-30-2004, 03:51 PM
congratulations Dave, on your promotion :D

btw, how do you find that out, i mean, about becoming a senior member?

gina

Have a look at the top right of one of your posts. Just above the Canadian flag, it says you've made 90 posts. On the other side, under your username, it says you are a "Member" and have one star. When you get to 100 posts, you become a "Senior Member" and get 2 stars!! :music: Still some way to go until we reach Immortality, though!! What's that like, Jay? :)

JayD
11-30-2004, 04:20 PM
It is exhausting--I am afraid to reach 5000 posts because they have to running out of titles--I am afraid the next one will be "Lord of the Flies!" :D After a while the titles come every thousand post or something like that.

Cathie Jones
11-30-2004, 04:45 PM
I remember when I became a 'senior member.' I wondered how they knew my age!!! :D :confused: ;)

You guys really are speed demons today. I had school last night, so didn't even get the lesson printed until after 8pm. I'm usually in bed by 9:30 so I can get up at 5:30, so only drew a little bit last night - and working today.

BTW - thanks for the pdf, Deb. It's posted on the web site.

Dave, I like the jug. Actually, I like everything that's been posted so far. Hope to get some of my stuff up tonight . . .

Looking for cones . . . . .

sultry
11-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Lisa I like your spider very creepy looking. ~KAV~ :clap:

Dave nice jug very 3d on your getting the values on your cone objects too. ~KAV~ :clap:

Deb I like Strawberry KAV :p

Ok, Jay heres my spider , funny I just have an imagination that just will not quit.

Must be from years of sketching things from memory, just recently I started to sketch photos and real life things.

hope you get a kick out of this... I did as I drew it (not to mention that I kept looking over my shoulder and under my feet alot).

Jay I have 3 value tones bright light med dark and dark dark but I need more to make it stand out and I just could not get that one value I needed.

g7i7n7a
11-30-2004, 06:18 PM
oh- my- gosh... that is sickeningly awesome! :clap:

I have to have another look.....

idcrisis55
11-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks Jay! I actually was looking at this more as cylinders until I began looking at the values. Thanks for having me to do the shapes as it is implanted in my mind more now.

Lisa, if I were into spiders I would say I like this so instead I'll just say fantastic job on the drawing :).

Judi, thanks for the comment on the rocking horse!

Dave, excellent rendering of the jug. I especially like the impression of light. I like your other quick sketches too!

Cathie, when I read when I became a 'senior member.' I wondered how they knew my age!!! I almost choked. I'm still smiling :D BTW, I've been trying to paint lemons and they look deceptively simple, but aren't.

Sultry, what an imagination. Nutty Buddy hands and a Spidey cone, wow.

Gina, hope you get settled in soon!

JayD
11-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Sultry....YUMMMMM..... :D Arachnee Roads! :D

Yes, you definitely have some value problems here and darkening in some areas will give punch to the image. Before I comment--what pencils are you currently using?

This is impressive and extremely imaginative. You have an imagination in need of Thorazine! :D Just kidding. I live to see moments like this. Outstanding! :clap: :clap: :clap:

tubbekans
11-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Hi Jayd,
Just kind of stumbled on the class thread here. I was wondering if it would be possible to link all the class threads in the sticky? Sure would make them easier to find... :cat:

Looks like a really helpful class. I hope to start working my way through the class threads sometime. Thanks for doing this class, it is nice to have a resource like this available. :clap:

JayD
11-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Paul, go to the beginning of the class and you will see that we are linking the classes at the beginning of each lesson. I will speak to Murray about put a section on the stickied links thread as well. Thanks and Welcome and dive right in--this is a really friendly groupl of people to play with so jump on in. You can still post at any class level and I will make a point to stop in and take a look. Again Welcome!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Judi1957
11-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Dave, Great jug and cones! :clap: And congrats on your two stars!

Welcome to the class Paul! :wave:

Sultry, I almost fell out of my chair, WOW-FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What a great piece!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
11-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Sultry, as soon as we work out the values, I would like for you to post your spider-cicle in the main forum--but lets do the values first. :)

sultry
11-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Jay ooookkkkk I was so much getting the creepy crawley thing out of my system lol.

I used HB mechanical and my trusty gummy friend. No other pencils used. This took a good 8 hours started it last night.

You want it posted where???

Thank you Gina it is sickening if you think of a monster like that falling from the ceiling and landing on your cone. lol :evil:

Thank you Ann I love the title you named it better lol...Spidey Cone.

Judi glad you like it, I am very imagative ( I was one of those children who had an imaginary freind when I was little, maybe thats whats wrong with me ) lol :D

ohh Jay is Thorazine a type of downer drug? lol clueless here :confused:

edited to add..
I used a stump too, Jay do you think I should of made the ice cream CrawlNilla? instead of Chocolate Crawlers?

:wave: Hi Paul alot to learn in a happy environment btw.

JayD
11-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Thorazine is an anti-psychotic--YOU DO NOT want to be on this drug--if you have ever ben out in public and seen a man or a woman sticking out their tongue uncontrollably then you probably experienced Thorazine. I had a dear friend, Bear, who went to a party and somebody slipped PCP into his drink. He ended up on Thorazine and ruined a fine musician. :(

Enough of that now.

You are using an HB pencil---create a small chart and move up to a B, 2b, 3b, 4b and so forth....try these out in each block of the chart--you can increase the intensity of each pencil by varying the pressure as you know--post your chart and lets take a look at the different values that come up.

Everybody--you are all welcome to participate in this experiment.

JayD
11-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Regarding the flavor: Tasty Tarantula, or Mint Widow would be nice as well. :D

Fireman's kid
11-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Wow! People sure have been busy drawing. I am glad to see most are choosing to draw the ice cream cone instead of the spider. I love ice cream and I hate spiders. Hmmm, I think I might have mentioned my dislike of spiders before. :p And if I had an ice cream like that spider-sicle I might never eat one again. What a scary and sad day that would be... :crying:

Anyway, I haven't gotten around to any of the drawing homework yet this week, but I did finish my commission painting. :clap: If anyone is interested the final pics can be found here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230995&page=4)

I hope after I mat the painting this weekend I will actually have more time to draw and post in these lessons. Of course if I don't I'm going to have to think hard to come up with another excuse! :D

Great cones everyone!

Mary Woodul
11-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Thank you Judi.....now I remember about the coneheads. In the 70's cable TV came to Mexico and I did see Saturday Night Live a few times.

Thank you gina, mothsailor and blah for your comments.

Sultry...OMG...you got the goosebumps with my spider.....I'll never eat ice cream again. Ha,ha, yours is marvelous, you have a great imagination and to do something so well from it, is being a great artist.

Thank you Deb, I sure wanted to get him out of the way first.

Lisa, the texture of the ice cream cone is like chocolate ice cream.. I love your steeple and the spider and I think you have a unique style of your own.

Thank you Ann, I love your rocking horse and BTW I have roomies too and they love my bedroom.

Dave - I commented on your different style of your jug in the other thread and I like your cones also.

Here is my jug from the WDT, done on strathmore with pastel pencils. As usuall when I put it up on the screen I noticed it is lop sided where I put in the shadow. I never seem to see those things on the easel.

JayD
11-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Hi, Mary--nice Jug--is this thing a pot, a jug or a vase? OH well...Beautiful texture, nice play with light and I see a cone staring right at me. Top Notch, Mary! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jet
11-30-2004, 09:51 PM
Hi guys...Late as usual!.. :D

You all are going up on the double !!... :wave:
Did anybody mention a tadpole ? ..yuk, yuk... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/779/completed/27782/tn_Tadpole.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/779/completed/27782/Tadpole.jpg)
Those guys grow faster when placed under a red light instead of natural or white light..
....and They grow slower if you drop melatonin tablets in their water... :cool:
__

Thanks for your comments !!
:wave:

JayD
11-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Jet, welcome back--we missed you, guy! :)

Judi1957
11-30-2004, 11:21 PM
Stacy, Checked out your commission. It is beautiful!!! The house is lovely!
GREAT WORK! Your client should be very pleased! I see why you have been so busy. Watercolor isn't easy from what I hear.
I haven't even finished my perspective yet. Hope to do it in pen and ink, just got my new replacement pen tips and just need the ink...hopefully will post before our 30 weeks is done. :D

Hey Jet, nice tadpole!

Mary, Your 'vessel' looks really great!

JayD, I was going to work on the spider tonite, but my hubby came home and had a bowl of ice cream and I just couldn't. Did do the vessel ( vase, jug, whatever) but I want to do a background or at least a ground. It's just a floatin' right now.

Cathie Jones
12-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Evenin' 101ers.

Jet, I take melatonin every night because I heard it makes people grow (old) slower, too!! Glad to hear it works on tadpoles at least . . .

Stacy, your commission house is beautiful!

If you haven't gone back to Lesson 5 tonight, go see Ann's M&Ms - fantastic!

Here are my first entries for Lesson 6 (I also added 2 to Lesson 5) - I like the ice cream okay, but lost patience with the bottle - it's late and I'm tired.

sultry
12-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Jay here is the chart you asked for.

Its 2 AM here and I could not sleep (yes I dreamed of spiders).

Now when I close my eyes I seee those ugly long spindly legs :( yuck

anyways since I am up at 1 AM I thought I would peek in here and since you wanted the chart.

It gave me something to do. :)

I opened both pics of the spidey-cone & the chart to see the values btw.

Wow I can see the difference in the values by the way. Thank you for this excercise.

Now, just knowing where to appy the darker value in the picture would be helpful to me.

I have a tendacy of blending my values too dark I think.

edited to add...Stacy wow ~KAV~ painting. :clap: :clap: :clap:
The perspective looks right ON. The soft and serene beauty of the piece is Masterful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

tubbekans
12-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi JayD and Sultry,
Thanks for the welcome! I found the links to previous classes on the first page as you said JayD. I'll try to get going on class one this week. JayD, don't feel like you need to respond to my postings, I'm sure you are quite busy enough keeping up with the current class week. I think I can get quite a bit out of reading the responses to other peoples previous efforts. If I have a specific question or something maybe I can post it in the current class?

Anyhow, I will plod through as time permits and I am sure I will learn some drawing skills along the way. I already found that the elbow/shoulder drawing technique is a real help to me. Very surprising to me actually that it makes such a difference. Ok, off to review the 400 some posts in class one... :cat:

You all are doing great by the way! :clap:

bjcpaints
12-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi 101ers, Just checking in :wave: We are still not operational at home but I want to hang here and keep up as best I can. Too many posts to comment on but I love your Rocking horse Ann. Stacey, Lovely job on your commission. Mary, Judi, Lisa,Cathis, Blah and all - good drawings! I am in such a transition period with my artwork I can't wait for the new year to start. I think its going to be great. JayD and Sultry - Thanks for the idea and work on the values chart. This is something I need to do. Jet, Once again, you have sent me back to my childhood. Spent many hours with my brother collecting tadpoles and bringing them home. I do not recall doing any experiments on them however. LOL Anyway, I like your drawing.
Barbara

idcrisis55
12-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Hi Paul, glad you decided to join us all in our efforts. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Judi, it is terrific to have a small close knit group of artist friends(actually any friend, right). We bounce things off each other, share our work, critique and in general kibbitz and joke a lot. They have contributed a great deal to my growth in art. And like you, I am very pleased to make new art friends too. That is one of the fantabulous things about Wet C. isn't it. :D

lol Judi, you know Sultry's Spidey cone is going to be memorable for a lot of us from now on. When we get out the ice cream we will be thinking of her and her cone lol.

Sultry, glad you liked the name of the ice cream cone. It kinda makes me sick to think about eating one and I will definitely be looking at ice cream differently now lol.

Your value chart looks good Sultry. I will have to do this as well as I have such a problem getting darks unless I'm using an 8B or charcoal.

Jay, one question, to get the darks using an HB or a mechanical pencil is it just a matter of going over and over again the area and increasing the pressure. I can't seem to get the dark, dark values I see others achieving.

Stacy, you did a great job on your commission painting. I enjoyed seeing all the phases you posted.

Mary, excellent pastel work and you did great on the feeling of roundness. Love the textures and light. Our roomies must sense something in us to be drawn to our areas. My family doesn't have a problem with spiders at all (they wouldn't since they are all in my studio lol).

Jet, nice work on the tadpole. Like those darks! We have two ponds but I would not trek down there in the summer to look for tadpoles lol, too many snakes between here and there :D

Cathie, good work on the ice cream cone. And you have a good shape on the bottle. Maybe rounding the bottom of the bottle just a tad more will bring it more to what you want.

Good Morning Barbara, good to see you here. Glad you like the rocking horse :). Hope you get things operational soon!

mothsailor
12-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Jay, one question, to get the darks using an HB or a mechanical pencil is it just a matter of going over and over again the area and increasing the pressure. I can't seem to get the dark, dark values I see others achieving.

The problem I find with going over and over an area is that it ends up with a shine on it, which isn't normally what I want. I notice a recommendation in another thread to use workable fixative between layers, but is that really necessary?

idcrisis55
12-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Dave, I've noticed that shine too and wonder if that is normal or is there a way to overcome or correct it?

Jet
12-01-2004, 11:31 AM
that mischiveous shine ...I kill it smudging some finger grease on it.. :D don't know if there's a better way though!! :rolleyes:

I tried doing the ice cream cone and suddenly i got mixed up with shading, fix here and there until...aARRGGHH!! i left it as is.... :mad: :D

Regards

ps-Salute to all tadpole hunters :wave:

JayD
12-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Hey, Paul--I try to get to everyone as far as comments go--do your posts in each class so that the information is the same in each thread. For example do not post class1 lessons in the class 6 thread. When you post the thread will bounce back up to the first page of the forum and everybody in the class will be notified by email of your post--you can bet we will be taking a look. :)

CJ--on your cone and jug--you have the ellipses at the tip and that is ok just remember to make the ellipses at the bottom parallel to the ones at the top. Right now you have 3 dimensions at the top and 2 dimensions at the bottom--think about the depth of the bottle in terms of its existence in physical space. Otherwise they are very good. :clap: :clap:

CJ--regarding shadows--dark and light all that and this is for EVERYONE--start out with your drawing LIGHTLY then BUILD the drawing layer by layer--this is a slower process but the benefit is that the valleys in the paper don't flatten out so quickly and you can add more layers then you could. application of pressure should be a gradual thing. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Sultry--you went with the hb and at this point--I would work gradually with the 1-3 pencils--building gradually layer by layer. Start by defining your darkest value that you want FIRST--THEN define what your lightest value will be--then settle on what will be your MIDVALUE. These are waystations in your drawing--gradually working toward each station--the value of defining these points ahead of time is that you are establishing a plan for a final version and it insures that you do NOT go overboard from your original intent.

JayD
12-01-2004, 12:58 PM
Hey, Ann--see my comments to Sultry and CJ--using a mechanical pencil means that you have to be aware of the lead that you are using and be prepared to change the lead to another such as an HB lead to a 2b and so on. A tip for you would be to have several mech pencils so that you can hold a different lead in each and then it is just a matter of switching. If you find that you are reaching the maximum the paper will hold too quickly, then you are probably applying too much pressure too fast. Building pressure should be a gradual process and you need to build the drawing layer by layer. If you are a watercolorist this is akin to build washes layer by layer.

Also, keep in mind the way that your pencil behaves with your choice of papers. You may find that some papers act better for a particular drawing then others. You all should, at some point, start yourself a swatch library of papers that you have played with so that you can go back and look quickly to decide what paper to use.

Jet--Good idea smudging but I will not do that--nothing wring with it but I have an obsession about clean hands and doing that will drive me over the way. Smudging can be a good way to achieve textures as well so experiment with different materials to see what kind of smudge effects that you can come up with.

Judi1957
12-01-2004, 01:02 PM
JayD, I'm glad you said about going dark to light. I always layer up fom light to dark. OOOOPS! And we know I have a problem with getting values! Maybe this will help. In fact, that's how I did my vessel I'll be posting-light to dark.
THANKS!

JayD
12-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Dave--yes, using a working fixative is a good idea but it will not totally eliminate the shine because it is the nature of graphite to glow. But fixative is real good for giving your paper a few extra moments of layering which can really make the picture. Good idea. Build carefully layer by layer. An excellelent excercise for everyone to try is to do a simple drawing on a paper called Stonehenge. It is a printer's paper and is extremely soft so you have to be very careful using it--it will force you to work delicately when doing a drawing. Try it and see how many layers you can build--it might surprise you. One you gone as far as you can with graphite you might want to take a stab at the Wolff's Carbon Pencils. They act like pencil but do not have the sheen. From there we are talking charcoal.

JayD
12-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Judi, just remember to set your boundaries first. so:

1. Do the darkest dark that you want in your drawing first

2. Identify your lightest light

3. Identify the midtone

4. Build layer by layer not going beyond the darkest dark. :)

Cathie Jones
12-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Jay, you know that you're talking to a few watercolor people here. I'm not sure we're capable of starting with dark and going to light!!! :eek:

Although I love my mechanical pencils, I'm mostly using the #2 that I started with, because I can use the side of the lead for shading - hard to do with a mechanical without breaking it.

I'll do the green bottle again - I was very tired when I started that and just ran out of patience, but thought I should post the bad with the good . . . so there ya go.

idcrisis55
12-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Wow Jet, the texture and values in that cones are wonderful! Thanks for the info on the finger smudging too :) I sometimes use a q-tip or a stump as well but there is something just so satisfying to do smudge with my finger. Must be a holdover from oil painting days.

Jay, thanks for the tip on getting different leads. I have several mech. pencils and when I place an order on-line I will invest in different leads. The local Wal Mart doesn't carry much and we don't have an office or art store here.

Also, thanks for all the info on the layering. I think I got impatient and began applying more pressure.

As far as paper, so far I just using a sketch pad and/or computer paper. I had some 80# drawing paper which I am out of so before I order more I would like to hear what you and others recommend as a good weight paper and a brand/type you prefer??? Thanks :)

Also Jay, I have a couple of Ebony pencils, would you know if they are similar to the Wolff's Carbon Pencils?

Cathie, I meant to say thank you for mentioning the M's posted in class 5. Your comments are very much appreciated!

JayD
12-01-2004, 02:53 PM
CJ--check out this link--I think you might find it interesting:

http://artcafe.net/studio/ross/

Ann-They are more similar to graphite but they are good ones to have to get your darkest darks. Carbon pencils are a hybrid of charcoal and pencil.

mothsailor
12-01-2004, 03:07 PM
As far as paper, so far I just using a sketch pad and/or computer paper. I had some 80# drawing paper which I am out of so before I order more I would like to hear what you and others recommend as a good weight paper and a brand/type you prefer??? Thanks :)

Ann, you might find this article (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/3698/520/) worth a look. It's all about different types of paper. I just use cartridge paper myself, 150gsm, medium grain, A4 or A5. If I used anything expensive I think I'd be paralyzed with the fear of "wasting" it!

sultry
12-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Jay I am working on Spidey Cone and guess what? I am starting to see it come alive off the page. The darks are working for me now that you explained how to sketch from darkest to mid tones to lightest lights. :)

OOhhh sorry Mary I forgot to comment on your comment on my last post but I was sleep walking At the time. Anyways, speaking of great artist that jug of yours looks like it was painted by one. ~KAV~ :clap:

Jet I want to comment on your tadpole :) I like how you made it look slimey & I see bumps too ( looks really 3d) are they starting of warts)?
Hey great values in your ice cream cone too. ~KAV~ :clap:

CJ, Jay and Ann already C & C on your vase & ice cream cone but I wanted to say that I love how you have a soft touch style. ~KAV~ :clap:

Hiyas Barbara glad your still with us and I hope you get your home operational soon. :wave:

Ann, lol, what a way to be remembered, by something that scares me to insomia :D

well just checked in & commented so I could I could keep up with thread while I am working on the memorable Spidey Cone.

Cathie Jones
12-01-2004, 05:51 PM
CJ, Jay and Ann already C & C on your vase & ice cream cone but I wanted to say that I love how you have a soft touch style. ~KAV~ :clap:

Thanks, I appreciate the comment. I tried to soften my work a bit after I saw some of your work, as well as Ann's and Deb's - probably others, too, but CRS is a permanent fixture these days!! You are all teaching me so much!

JayD
12-01-2004, 07:00 PM
Sultry, i cannot wait to see this finished spidey cone. Glad to help. :)

Mary Woodul
12-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Thank you all for your comments and I see a lot of nice drawings again today. Hey Jet you brought me back memories of my childhood also like Barbara, I would go catch tadpoles with my brother also and I can still see the the eggs before they hatched and that made me never want to eat tapioca again. I don't know if that's around anymore?

JayD, I'm glad the subject on values and the shine in shading was brought up and I will do the exercise. Here is my flask, but I had the same problem that has been in discussion. I think my shadow is too dark and it started shining also and then I couldn't soften the edges of the shadow. I also tried for the first time to use a mecanical pencil but I think I can't control it the same so I ended up with my HB normal pencil on computer paper today.

JayD
12-01-2004, 10:17 PM
I don't know what it is about you guys, Mary but you all seem to be top notch letterers. I can't letter period. Regarding your flask--lets comment on that before the values:

You want to avoid carrying the object into a look that is two dimensional. One of the ways that you do this is to work hard to eliminat hard edges--if you think about it a flask does not technically have an edge since it is a series of hollowed out ellipses(remember our friend the slinky?). Think round. The hard edges help encourage a flat look.

Regarding the shadow and values. When we get to the class on this subject, I will endeavor to make this clear. Essentially EVERYTHING exist in degrees based upon the light source--where the light source directly hits will be the least shadw but interestingly enough the shadow just does not harshly appear--instead it is a gradual thing getting stronger the further away from the light source that it is. so you have a strong shadow on the wall but look at the bottom--nothing is really casting from the flask to the wall--the shadow is not carrying through. Set up various objects that you have around the house and project on each one a light source and watch how the shadows play--also note the how the intensity of the value of the shadows vary on each object.

You are doing very well and I hope that what I have said is helpful. :)

Judi1957
12-01-2004, 10:28 PM
JayD,
Posting my jug. Added, or tried to add, a pine cone. Didn't turn out too hot. Not enough value or detail. Can't cut it out, so it stays. :(

sultry
12-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Jay I like this better upside down for some reason. When I scanned it I saw it this way and it looks like the hand just dropped the cone. :)

Wow Judi I love your jug and pine cone such great shading on them! ~KAV~ :clap:

Mary I wish I could write letters that good. :) ~KAV~ :clap:

g7i7n7a
12-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Hello Everyone,
:wave:
Lots of great work, since I've been gone.you are all getting heavy into the shading, it's looking gooood!!! (i'm so behind)
I haven't had much time, but here's a start on the lesson. with the ice cream cone, I am having the same problem as with 'Bat".( back and forth) I tried to loosen up, but it goes against my grain. my tendency is to go over things with a "magnifying glass " to get every jot and tittle. :(
But frowny in a good way. I think I'm becoming addicted to drawing. after a week without it, i'm having withdrawals.
will have more time tomorrow to post more of the lesson... thankyou. :D
gina
greetings and salutations - Paul! :wave:

JayD
12-02-2004, 06:28 AM
Lisa, a lot of drawing will "go against your grain"--there are all these things that you have to do and it is hard to keep it all straight sometimes. I have said this before but I have heard several artists on this and other forums lament about how it is hard to avoid hard edges and that they have to fight to avoid those said edges. It is never easy but it does eventually be more natural. In your case, your tendancy is to skip a step. In step one, you do the loose easy drawing--in step two, you shore up the important lines and tighten up the drawing so you see, Lisa, you ARE absolutely on the right track.

Love the ice cone--I am also a big fan of Jughead :D

I like the studies of the the cones that you did--I am glad that you did many of them because that is really what this class is about. Practice...Practice...Practice... Great work!!! :clap: :clap:

JayD
12-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Sultry: There is a novel by Stephen King called Eyes of the Dragon--the hardcover version is illustrated with some wonderful drawings. I think what you have done is turn a simple humorous drawing into a wonderful illustration that is reminiscent of the drawing style found in that book. Nice work! Are the value tips helping?

Judi, love the jug and I think the pine cone turned out nicely--you might want to punch up the darks a bit but otherwise I applaude you for tackling a pine cone. I think they are very interesting.
:clap: :clap:

L2isa2
12-02-2004, 06:44 AM
Thank you JayD :D

Regards
Lisa

Mary Woodul
12-02-2004, 06:48 AM
Thank you JayD, I will set up three objects and see if I can shade the different values. Thank you for the observation on the edges of the flask.

Judi your jug is beautiful, it has that real clay feel to it.

Gina, those cones are so clever and the (how many decker) ice cream cone is fantastic.

Sultry- that spidey cone is really something, I think it looks less creepy upside down.

mothsailor
12-02-2004, 07:04 AM
It's been a while since I commented on people's work, so please forgive me if I miss something out!

Sultry That's such an atmospheric drawing. But do you really want it to come alive off the page! :evil: :) I think I'd be dropping that cone too! :eek:
Gina That's what I call an ice cream!
Judi That's a wonderful jug. You're very brave to take on the pine cone--so complicated--and you've drawn it really well.
Mary You're flask is really good. Your lettering is far better than mine, but did you notice in the photo that it isn't vertical (as you've drawn it)?

Here are my latest drawings. I found the spider very hard, partly I think because it was hard to see the body in the photo. (That's my excuse, anyway!) The flask was hard because there is so much subtle variation in value that it is just beyond my ability to capture. But then, we haven't officially got to light and shade yet, so I guess there's still hope for me! :D

JayD
12-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Dave some very astute comments and highly observant. It is very important that we all try to make as many comments as possible because you are honing your ability to observe.

I have a standing assignment on ALL of the forthcoming projects and that is to take the object that you are drawing and put something in it to make it different--not just a copy of the object--the idea is to make you think more about the composition rather then just doing something automatic.

That being said--look again at Sultry's piece--she took and ordinary cone, combined it with the subject and came up with a humorous lilt on the project--additionally, she Then ADDED the hand and turned the picture upside down and suddenly--she has created an illusration which conveys some sort of message. Wonderful.

Now, regarding the flask--nice work and again, what is it with you guys and the good letter--I got a bunch of caligraphers here :D Try to keep the bottome ellipse and the top ellipse parrallel and avoid HARD edges in your drawing--if you look at your flask, it is flattening between the two ellipses--try to soften up the edges abit and think about the stacked slinkys. Edges indicate a discontinuance in a plane but in fact the flask continues in a loop.

That is a great spider--were you able to locate the cones and it clearly looks like you studied the subject before drawing--good eye.

Don't worry about the shadow and values yet unless you want to. Very good work, Dave! :clap: :clap:

sultry
12-02-2004, 08:23 AM
Jay yes the values are working for me better now. I know I need to practice alot with it and soon it will be like old school for me. For now it is something new and I am very green with it as you can see I will give you a larger view of spidey cone
http://www.deviantart.com/view/12811731/

I thought of the Adam's hand by Michelangelo when I saw this upside down. I have always loved that close up painting of his hand grasping on to the Creator. LOL What a twist to put it in a piece like this.

I must confess something to you Jay, I do not have a drawing board yet. :( I am using a legal clip board and leaning up against a desk. I hope to get one soon.

Gina great Gads such a wonderful upteenth decker & good ole jughead ~KAV~
:clap:

Thank you Dave & Mary on the spidey cone c & c

Dave umm yah I do want it to appear alive (much like your spider does) ~KAV~ :clap:

Deb Leger
12-02-2004, 08:29 AM
WARNING- this is going to be a long one, to catch up!! :D :D :D

Wow, so much great stuff being posted! It's hard to keep up to the posts. lol.

Ann, your rocking horse drawing looks great! Even if you didn't paint it, it'd look great as a framed drawing. I see a really big difference in your drawing since we've started this class.

Jay, your comment to Lisa of " It wasn't the center line that did the trick nor turning it upside down--you paid attention and your powers of observation took over" made me smile. During the six weeks of this class, you have us do these seemingly mild-mannered observation checks and before I know it, you've got me REALLY seeing things so much more clearly. Often, reading something in a book leaves you just as confused as before you read it, but then you have us do these little exercises that don't seem like exercises at all and all of a sudden, it kicks in! So, know that you are really, really, really improving and developing our "powers of observation". I'm loving these classes!

(You must have an easy time of getting your kids to do things they don't want to do!)

Lisa, your spider is soooooo ............ realistic. Good drawing. (Horrible subject!) (Each time I'm reading through the thread, I have to start scrolling fast and avert my eyes when I come to it - it's just too good.

Dave, what a great job on the jug! Great shading on it!!! I've got mine printed out and hope to get to it perhaps tonight or tomorrow. Your cones are great, too, that waffle ice cream cone looks awesome.

Thanks Cathie and Ann for posting the pdf's on your sites.

Sultry. What can I say about your spider cone? (After I've stopped shuddering, that is.) Very good. My son loves it and asked me to draw him one. I told him not to hold his breath. Good drawing. (Horrible subject!) I've said already, haven't I? You know, with all these spider pics, the tiny little spiders we have around here suddenly don't seem so horrifying and scary................

Paul, welcome to the class, you're going to learn LOTS about drawing!!! Not only learn it though, you're going to really develop your drawing skills!

Stacy, I agree with you on the ice cream if I found a spider on it. Your painting is beautiful!

Mary, your jug looks great! Seeing a drawing on the computer screen can be so helpful in seeing things you didn't see before.

Jet, what a great tadpole! I used to collect the eggs with my brothers too at what we called The Pollywog Pond.

Cathie and Jet, what a nice sane-looking ice cream cones!!! (No spider legs sticking out!)

Jay, you don't like smudged hands? You ought to see mine after drawing! Smudged fingers, smudged hands, smudge marks on my face, smudged eraser. Love it. If I'm not totally smudged, I figure I haven't done enough drawing!! Did you ever fingerpaint as a kid?

Mary, what great lettering you got on your flask!! I find that hard to do.

Gina, I know what you're saying about becoming addicted to drawing! It's been a while since I picked up my brushes.

Judy, your jug is so good and that pinecone is awesome.

And Dave, your flask and lettering is great too - good shading. Wouldn't the shadow at the top of the flask need to be higher up, as in the angle of the bottom shadow? Those furry little spider legs aren't bad, it's getting easier to look at them.

Deb

Deb Leger
12-02-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi, Mary--nice Jug--

Better make sure you don't add an 's' to the jug! :evil: :evil: :evil:

g7i7n7a
12-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Lisa, Lisa, you ARE absolutely on the right track.

Love the ice cone--I am also a big fan of Jughead :D

I think my name is gina..... :o

JayD
12-02-2004, 10:59 AM
In my mind, you will always be LISA :D

Sorry about that!

g7i7n7a
12-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Jayd, - :wave:
before I read the posts this morning,as I was waking up , I intended to thankyou, for doing such a fantastic job in replying to every post so quickly and so faithfully. I know this is a HUGE commitment, taking far more time than the rest of us have to put in. so, bless you!!!!! big time!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
( there should be a big "group hug" icon...)
(...am I making people puke.....)

gina :cool:

g7i7n7a
12-02-2004, 11:02 AM
LOL
thanks, Steve!

Mary Woodul
12-02-2004, 11:14 AM
before I read the posts this morning,as I was waking up , I intended to thankyou, for doing such a fantastic job in replying to every post so quickly and so faithfully. I know this is a HUGE commitment, taking far more time than the rest of us have to put in. so, bless you!!!!! big time!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
(...am I making people puke.....)

gina :cool:

I second that :clap: :clap: :clap:

mothsailor
12-02-2004, 11:17 AM

I second that :clap: :clap: :clap:

And I third it! :) :clap: :clap:

sultry
12-02-2004, 12:14 PM
And I third it! :) :clap: :clap:
I 4th IT!!!

oh & if I could I would spend merit pts on you after each class Jay (Its a shame I have to wait 30 days to).

When you work so hard on each 101 class threads by your C & C and great alternative excercises for each student that should need help in a different way.

Plus we all learn so much in each class, they should give an acception for you to have a merit/mentor pts from your students ea week. :)
just a suggestion

mothsailor
12-02-2004, 12:23 PM
oh & if I could I would spend merit pts on you after each class Jay (Its a shame I have to wait 30 days to).

When you work so hard on each 101 class threads by your C & C and great alternative excercises for each student that should need help in a different way.

Plus we all learn so much in each class, they should give an acception for you to have a merit/mentor pts from your students ea week. :)
just a suggestion

I agree --- but we could all remember to RATE THE THREAD! :)

JayD
12-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Ok, making me blush is NOT going to get you out of next weeks assignment--Stoy has a nice Juicy Midterm Still Life for you as part of the putting it all together class :evil:

But thank you very much for the confidence you each have shown. :)

By the way is someone on schedule to sub next week?

sultry
12-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Jay we have not decided on what you wanted my help for but if no one is on schedule for next week I am offering my assistance. :)

It is about putting all our wonderful shapes we learned into a composition?

correct me if I am wrong but I love mixing shapes to make a whole picture.

You will see with my Jug drawing as soon as I complete it. :)

Judi1957
12-02-2004, 01:14 PM
JayD,
Seem to have missed all the applause for you.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank-you!!!

BTW, I believe I am your subber for next week. :D

Not too much free time today...see you all later!

JayD
12-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Judi--thanks! I HAD a list but either my dog or my desk ate it. Was anyone keeping track of this --we need Sultry in on this. Is anyone taking shading?

Cathie Jones
12-02-2004, 01:28 PM
I FIFTH THE MOTION - - JayD for President!!!

. . . and I found a group hug . . . okay everybody, gather around Jay . . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2004/23460-grouphug.gif

sultry
12-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Jay are you talking about the 101 classes or are you teaching other things too?

I am willing to be put where you want me to sub at. :)

Judi if you need help subbing let me know I was leary before on giving C & C to others for fear of offending them.

Not anymore, now that I see how much people improve from helpful C & C.

So use me if you need to. :wave:

CJ that group hug icon is adorable :)

Mary Woodul
12-02-2004, 01:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225461&page=19&pp=15

Hi JayD, here is the link of the last update of the subs. I had volunteered for shade but I think someone else was going to take it. It is is this thread posted. I can help you where ever you need me.

Cathie, that's a perfect group hug :D

JayD
12-02-2004, 01:52 PM
No not teaching anymore right now :evil: I will dig up that list tonight and then you can decide what you would like to sub in for.

idcrisis55
12-02-2004, 01:57 PM
I think I missed a couple of posts so Jay thanks for the info on the ebony pencils and Dave thank you for the link on the paper. I appreciate it!

Sultry, I know what you mean about being remembered for something that isn't your favorite thing. But really it is for your imagninative drawing and not necessarily the subject lol.

Cathie what is "CRS"??? I've puzzled over that and haven't figured that one out yet lol.

I won't comment on every drawing because of time but wanted to say they are loooking soooo good. Each one gets better and better and I love learning from each of you and seeing the improvement.

Here, here Gina, I also add my applause and thanks to Jay and the powers that be (whatever number it is up too lol).

Cool group hug icon Cathie

Attached is a small watercolor (6 3/4" x 5") I did that has the rocking horse in it. But actually it is greeting card to all of you. I lost the shape of the horse's face, the perspective is off too because I didn't draw any of it. But the important thing is the thought behind the card :D.

JayD
12-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Ann, that is a beautiful card and it is allowed in the class because of the cones in the background. :)

thanks to Ann, I have the sub Schedule:

Judi--Putting it all together

Ann--Light and Shade

Mary--Lesson to be anounced

Deb Leger--1.Translating Color into Light and Dark/ 2.Outdoor Drawing

Sultry--lesson to be announced.

Ann, you will like light and shade because you all will ONLY be drawing ONE excercise :evil: I took the photo myself :evil:

Sultry--go though the outline and pick out what you would like to cover using this list as a guide and let me know. Mary, I need to hear from you as soon as you have decided as well. I want to thank each of you for volunteering. I really appreciate it.

Cathie Jones
12-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Ann, your card is beautiful - thank you!

CRS is a pretty universal term, but must be more used in the watercolor Wash, where there are so many posts you "can't remember sh*t" . I think one of the guys there cleaned it up to 'can't remember stuff,' but I always think of the original . . . :evil:

idcrisis55
12-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Glad you enjoyed the card Jay and Cathie, thanks.

Also Cathie, thanks for the definition as I missed it in the WC forum. It fits pretty well doesn't it when the mind goes blank, at least in my case which happens frequently. :D

More painting to do and yes, Jay, more drawing too :evil:

Ann

mothsailor
12-02-2004, 02:36 PM
Love the group hug, Cathie, and thanks for the card Ann.

I must have missed the sub thing cos I joined the class late. Is there anything I can do to help?

Here is the value chart thingy that you suggested we did, JayD. I included compressed and vine charcoal as well as 4H, 2H, HB, 2B, 4B, 6B and charcoal pencil along with a pencil called "Blackie" (not sure what that is!).

And a drawing of the bike thingy :)

Cathie Jones
12-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Nice 'thingys' Dave! :D

g7i7n7a
12-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Hi, :wave:
Ann, love the card. it's getting me in the mood for Christmas. have saved it as my backgroundwallpaper. we have long rainy winters here, so every bit of snow helps. :)

Cathie-haha - cool hug!

here are my next assignments, the twig tree thingamahooie turned out to be more fun than it looked, though I'm guessing the shading is illogical.
I ran out of steam on the flask, ... shading it takes so loooong...onto the spider.

Dave, nice work on the bike thingey. :clap:

gina
oops

Mary Woodul
12-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Ann, that is a beautiful card and it is allowed in the class because of the cones in the background. :)

thanks to Ann, I have the sub Schedule:

Judi--Putting it all together

Ann--Light and Shade

Mary--Lesson to be anounced

Deb Leger--1.Translating Color into Light and Dark/ 2.Outdoor Drawing

Sultry--lesson to be announced.

Ann, you will like light and shade because you all will ONLY be drawing ONE excercise :evil: I took the photo myself :evil:

Sultry--go though the outline and pick out what you would like to cover using this list as a guide and let me know. Mary, I need to hear from you as soon as you have decided as well. I want to thank each of you for volunteering. I really appreciate it.
I was looking at a calendar right now because I was going to say The Horizon Plane but that would put me right on the 13th and I will have to watch over two of my grandchildren from the 13 to the 19th. On the 21st we will go to San Antonio but will be back on the 27th. How are you scheduling Christmas week? I can take Drawing a Still Life if you want or if you need me sooner let me know.

Ann that is a beautiful card!!!

mothsailor
12-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Gina, the twig tree thingamahooie doesn't look illogical to me! Both very nicely done.

Great word, by the way...I'm going to use that a lot from now on! :D

bjcpaints
12-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Ann, I love the Christmas card!
Cathie - Great Group Hug - I'm in!

Cathie Jones
12-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Gina, I like your twig tree thingy . . . and the shading is logical - with watercolor, you can't necessarily use strokes to indicate roundness, so you darken the sides of round thingys to make them look rounder. :D

I haven't tried the twig thingy, but have started the weekly drawing vessel thingy - should have that finished real soon. The spider . . . um . . . can pretty much stay off my paper. Thanks, anyway! :eek:

How much more love can we take before we get sick? http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2004/23460-affection_smiley.gif

JayD
12-02-2004, 05:10 PM
GinaLisa--if you can justify the light source or sources then your shading is perfectly logical. I like your twigamathing--I saw these in the picture and I am still not sure as to what their purpose is. Very nice Mad Scientist jar. Good job. Ilike the reflection of the highlight.

Mary--you can have still life if you want.

Also,

Everybody--I just RESTARTED my job so I have lost all of my previous accrued vacation time so I will be here for Christmas. However, I have heard rumors that many of you have a LIFE. :D Do you want to go into Hiatus for Chrismas or do you want to continue onward. I am game either way.

Dave--let you forever be know as .....BikeBoy :D Thanks for taking up the challenge--I was surprised when no one jumped on it. Re-examine your values and see if you can take them to a deeper level.--decide where is light is and IS not striking and to what degreee--see if you can match the values in the picutures with those in your value scale-- Also check out for reflections and see if you can discern shapes.--very nice work. :clap: :clap:

CJ: DO THE TWIGS>>>>>>>>DO THE TWIGS>>>>>DO THE TWIGGGGGGGGGGGS :evil: :evil: :evil:

Cathie Jones
12-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Yeth Mathter . . . I will do the twiggggggggggs . . .

and I have a new icon for you . . . http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2004/23460-bullwhip_smiley.gif

:evil: :D

mothsailor
12-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Everybody Do you want to go into Hiatus for Chrismas or do you want to continue onward. I am game either way.

I probably won't be able to post anything (or read anyone else's posts) for 3 or 4 days over Christmas. On the other hand, nothing to stop me drawing! So, I'm happy either way.

JayD
12-02-2004, 05:51 PM
CJ--LOL--WHERE are yo getting these crazy icons! LOL!!!

Cathie Jones
12-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Aha .. . I may be very poor at drawing, and only fair with watercolors . . . but I am the gif queen!!! There are some really cool ones at "Smiley Central" but I only have those at home, can't download them at work.

If you right click on icons that I post here you can save them to your hard drive and use them again. You have to use the uploader to get them on here. ;)

As far as Christmas, my only concern is getting too far behind . . . remember I have that April deadline for sketchbooking . . . I'll be out of town part of the week after Christmas, but can probably draw and will have a laptop and digital cameral with me.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2004/23460-xmas_tree.gif

Judi1957
12-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Jet, Great cone. I love chocolate. M-m-m-m-m :clap:

Gina, Sis-boom-bah…I new you were a cheerleader! :D Like your ice cream cone, jughead, flask and twig trees(?) too! :clap:

Ann, Your M & M’s are Marvelous! And your card is FABULOUS!! :clap:

Sultry, Like your cone upside down too! You really do have a good imagination! Shake that thing OFF! :clap:

Mary, Nice flask! :clap:

Dave, Rating the thread every thirty days for sure! :angel: Nice flask and a nice thingy. You have an especially well done vessel!!! AND I like your quote on lowering your standards. LOL :D

Thanks for the compliment on the pinecone. Everybody likes it but me. We usually are our own worst critics though, which is usually good!

Cathie, where do you get your smileys?
Oh-oh, just found Smiley Central! Thanks! :D I won’t be able to use them from work either. :evil:

JayD, I’m sorry you lost the vacation time! I’ll keep you company over Christmas. I will be off for 10-14 days straight! :D :D :D Last year I was off 21 straight, now THAT was wonderful!!!!

Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Well-back to the drawing board! :D

Mary Woodul
12-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Nice evening all, :D I'll have to remember CRS & KAV, I know I will be frantically grasping for them.

Dave, that is a cool bike thingy and the exercise that I should be doing.

Gina, your cone is super and I see you did get the roundness of the flask. I'll have to repeat mine.

OK JayD, I'll read up on Still Life.

Just love your smileys, Cathie.

((((Hi)))) Deb, Ann, Sultry, Lisa, Judi, I hope I'm not missing anyone that was around this afternoon.

This is not a very good composition or picture but I was doing my homework and wanted to play with the shadows and values plus the objects are cones so if they are useful to anyone , you are wecome to the picture.

I will draw these tonight JayD. :wave:

JayD
12-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Mary, this is excellent--take notice and be aware of the differnet light sources and the different intensities of the values. I find it extremely interesting that you went with generally nonreflective objects. I think that choice will make the subject just that more interesting. Bring it in, Mary!!!

sultry
12-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Ahem, Attention Please...
Sultry is officially anouncing she will be subbing Class 17 : Hands & Feet

Ok, now that is out of the way time to C & C

Ann I love the artistic Santa ~KAV~ :clap:

Dave great on getting the portion of that umm bike thingy ~KAV~ :clap:
You did the shading excercise so make that thing look like it just had a waxing.
I know you can. :cool:

Gina wow you made those twig things look just like twigs ( Hey I have an idea why don't you draw a twig reindeer :) Have you seen them? They are decorations for Christmas to put out on the front yard. You would be great at it ( and would make a great Christmas card ). ~KAV~ on the twig twee :clap:

CJ awe you come up with some cute icons.... ~KAV~ :clap:
I need that Master one badly lol for some freinds in yahoo chat & messenger... if it can be used there I would sure like to know how.

Hi Mary :wave: heyyy nice set up ~KAV~ :clap: cannot wait to see your drawing.

Okay here is the jug thingy & the flask ( I cheated I know, I covered them with objects) but that jug reminded me of salsa (lol so that is why I added my little red chile peppers; garlic & tomatoe). Jay I did not portion that jug very well and I am lost on its shadow of where to put it. Since it is way in front of the flask I thought it might not have the shadow the same way as the flask does. Besides it has a shadow to the right of it our left.
Pic entitled: Salsa Anyone?

JayD
12-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks, Sultry--everybody give Sultry a hearty heigh ho happy daze--I meant to post this earlier but I got distracted by my daughter who goes into fits of chit chat every now and then--then just as abruptly clams up and off she goes--anyway, Sultry has graciously aske to do the head and hands sections so I will get to take a nap that week while she helms the ship.

Mothsailor, Dave, I think also offered and if you are still interested go back to the original course outline and drop me a line as to which class you would like to helm. I will write the course and you will steer for that week.

Thanks everybody--any anyone else who wants to sub just drop me a line. :)

Judi1957
12-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Evening All,
Mary, Interesting shadows there! And Cones! :D
I couldn't find the taragula's eyes either. Looking closer, I think they are tucked under his front legs. Camera shy you know.

Sultry, Nice composition there. I also negelected to ask you in my last post if you could fill in for me on Wednesday until about 6:00 in the evening. I have to go out of town. Geeze, you'd think they want me to WORK for a living or something...LOL. If you can't that will be OK, I'll catch up when I get back. This came up this afternoon and I noticed your offer of help, perfect timing.
I'm glad you are doing hands and feet. I could never do that as I need much help in that area.

JayD,Here's my fuzzy one. UGH!

JayD
12-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Judi, very nice spider--good values, fuzzy--I can feel it crawling--now tell that would not make a marvelous ring for your finger. :D Great job.

Judi1957
12-02-2004, 11:05 PM
JayD,
Thanks for the comment on the values. I did them the way you instructed the other day. Thanks for that too!

Naw, I like diamonds! LOL

sultry
12-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Jay lol your forgiven ohhh I was going to say I could help with portraits too. Since you said Head & Hands I guess I am. :) No prob I am up for the challenge to sub instruct on portraits.

Jay I do still have that question about the cast shadow on my jug.

Judi, sure I am available for sub that day ( Wed the 8th ).

Your spider is not a spider it is a terrantula and it looks like a photograph. Wow great detail. ~~~KAV~~~ :clap: :clap:

PS
When you close your eyes do you see spider legs? I did for awhile.

Thx for the C & C on Salsa anyone? I was hoping I had the composition right.

Judi1957
12-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Sultry, But I can never eat ice cream again!!!!!!! LOL
I could not wait to get him off my desk!

Cathie Jones
12-02-2004, 11:26 PM
ewwwwwww . . . Judi . . . that hairy thing is perfect . . . *runs away screaming*

So here's the vessel thingy from the weekly drawing thread. Not as easy as it looked, but definitely better than I could have done 6 weeks ago. Has it really been six weeks????? This class is like a good book . . . it's going way to fast!

So, I've looked at the scan and see that on the lip of the jug, below the stopper, the shadow makes the lip look mis-shapen. That could be fixed, but I have to get some work done tonight, so I'm posting it as-is. Just ran out of time . . .

I wonder if I'd ever finish a watercolor painting if it could be erased and fixed as easy as pencil . . .

sultry
12-02-2004, 11:27 PM
CJ that is your best yet ~~~~KAV~~~~ that looks really good :clap:

Cathie Jones
12-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Sultry . . . . holding my breath waiting to see what Jay has to say about it . . . ;)

Edit: Forgot to say I'm working very hard not to have hard/sharp edges - have I taken that too far? I notice there are hard edges in the photo.

Judi1957
12-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Sultry, I forgot to say THANK-YOU for your agreeing to help me out next Wednesday. I really appreciate it!!! If I can return the favor, do not hesitate.

Cathie, I agree with Sultry. JayD will love it too!!! But do not hold your breath. Morning is a long ways away!!
Really great job!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Blah
12-03-2004, 03:50 AM
Attached is a small watercolor (6 3/4" x 5") I did that has the rocking horse in it. But actually it is greeting card to all of you. I lost the shape of the horse's face, the perspective is off too because I didn't draw any of it. But the important thing is the thought behind the card :D.

Ann, the watercolour is lovely, but more than that, the thought behind it...to make it for all of us...is truly wonderful.

Thank you, and the best of the season's greetings to you and the rest of our class.

Blah

mothsailor
12-03-2004, 04:27 AM
Sultry Great composition. You have a really distinctive style. No hard edges, I notice!
Judi That is a truely awesome spider!
CJ Lovely thingamahooie -- you can really feel the roundness. Is it a bit narrow at the bottom perhaps? The hard edge thing is tricky, isn't it, but I think you've done a great job here. I think that's why it really feels round...the sides sort of fade away as they turn round the back. If you see what I mean! BTW, I'm going to have to get me some of those smileys!

Nice work, everyone!

Mary Woodul
12-03-2004, 07:19 AM
Good morning JayD and class.
Sultry what a great composition, I sure checked to see if you didn't decorate it with the spidey, KAV

Judi- your tarantula is a masterpiece, (I mean the drawing.....cringe) It is really furry.

Cathy- your jug is very nice, I like the lights and the roundness.

Well, I'll go do my chores first and then get to my shadows and values :wave:

JayD
12-03-2004, 07:24 AM
CJ: They forgot to say ONE thing--I can really feel the volume and depth in this piece. Did you see what I meant about the edges? Your piece does not look flat--its well balanced and all in all a wonderful demonstration. Excellent work.

As far as being too narrow at the bottom--well that just makes it an original as opposed to a copy of drawing. Remember, it does not concern me that you are exact--it does concern me that you try to push your creative sides forward to make your work one of a kind--an original.

You seemed to have taken more time developing this then your other work--that is the impression I get as it is a drawing that seems to be filled with much time and thought.

Drawing is only part of the process especially for you painterly folks--it is your blueprint.

You can deepen the values if you want but I really like this piece as it is. Might want to try xeroxing it off on colored or white ground and playing with it a bit --just for fun.

CJ, well done. You made my morning. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
12-03-2004, 07:29 AM
Dave, your "bike thingy" is a great example of cones, ellipses, spheres and cylinders.

Hi Gina, glad you enjoyed the card and it put me in the mood for more Christmas too. Glad you liked it enough to use on your desktop :D Nice work on the flask and the cone. It may have been mentioned but some of the darker values like you have in the top of the flask would look great on the base :)

Hi Barbara, Judi, Mary, Sultry, and Blah, thanks so much and glad you enjoyed the card :)

Jay, I was sorry to read you lost your vacation time but happy to read you restarted the job.

About Christmas, why not extend the classes by a week for each lesson? Then that would take off some of the pressure while so much is going on. My time is pretty much my own and don't have all the familial obligations that one has, especially with young children at Christmas so whatever everyone wants is fine with me :)

Mary, love the shapes and the cast shadows in your photo. Thanks for sharing the use of it with us. and :wave: Hi Back :D

Sultry, I like your "Salsa Anyone" drawing. Nice overlapping and good values. The shape of the big jug near the neck area looks a little off to me with one side not being as rounded. Just a small nit because it looks great.

Yea for you Sultry, and all of you that are helping Jay and us :D

Judi, that spider is excellent and so furry, :eek: You are doing great with your drawings! I'm glad it is early morning after looking at this and not time to go to bed (nightmares, you know lol).

ROFL Jay, a spidey ring, horrors.

Cathie, really nice work on that jug, good values, the shine is perfect and you did a great job on the eveness of all the rounded sides. Wonderful :clap: If that area under the lip bothers you, you could add just a bit more shadow near the upper edge of the lip to make it look more rounded :) That is the wonderful thing about being the artist, we can change things :D

Hope I haven't missed commenting on anyone's work as this thread is rocking along fast. Happy Day Everyone! I have a painting due Monday and have to get busy.

JayD
12-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Jay lol your forgiven ohhh I was going to say I could help with portraits too. Since you said Head & Hands I guess I am. :) No prob I am up for the challenge to sub instruct on portraits.

Sometimes this tired old bear makes mistakes! :D HANDS AND FEET!!! :D --I am my own argument for the substitute teacher system, eh (in my best Canadian accent).?

You can certainly volunteer for portraits too if you would like. You'll get no argument from me there!

Subway
12-03-2004, 08:31 AM
I know I shouldn't used lined paper!!! This started life as a warm-up sketch I doodled during a meeting, but the meeting kept going and so did I.

Judi, love the bug! Makes me want to try it, too.

I am constantly wishing for more time to work on current and past projects, so I would welcome taking a holiday break.

Cathie Jones
12-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Thank you, Jay, and everyone else who commented on the jug thingy. It was mostly done on my lunch hour at work, with a few minutes of refining at home. Couldn't get the values much darker because I only had #2 pencils with me and it was just getting shinier, not darker. I don't have time to play with it - but will try to do the twiggy cones.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_art_card.gif

bjcpaints
12-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Cathie, What is your little smiley guy doing - pastels? That is adorable! Also wanted to say you did a great job on your jug thingy.
I know I am so far behind and now I even lost some momentum due to the loss of our modem at home, BUT I will be back with drawings for the lessons I've missed AND I still feel like I am learning so much through everyone else's comments, drawings and experiences. Thanks again to everyone here! Have a great weekend - I will be offline till Monday. :crying:
Barbara (the queen of run-on sentences)

JayD
12-03-2004, 09:25 AM
I have something outside the class that you folks might want to take a stab at--a few months ago, I initiated a thread called "The Great KidPic Challenge". Basically is is a thread of self portraits as the artists as children. Feel free to try your hand at this challenge as it is a lot of fun.

Otherwise check it out because there is a picture of me and a picture of Jet.

sultry
12-03-2004, 10:52 AM
wow there are so many posts to comment to the next morning. :)

Judi yw :)

Ty Dave & guess what, I never cared to sketch still life but I do like viewing other artists still life work.

Ty Mary, no more spiders, I do not have any desire to do anymore (hopefully Teach will not make it a assignment in any or our future classes).

Jay I will sub the portraits class along with the Hands & Feet so mark me in the list.

Subway I wish you would carry an art pad to work with you, your work is good but hard to tell on line paper. I know the line paper can be brutal.

Barb we miss you, hope you join us soon.

Oh Jay when is the self portrait child pic due?

Thought you all would get a kick out of this...

I was doodling on typing paper & doing my make up and while I was looking in the mirror I drew my eyes in 5 min. The paper is not forgiving and if I would of done this on art paper with pencils it would look better.

edited to add doodle

JayD
12-03-2004, 11:03 AM
The kidpics are not an assignment--just something I thought you guys might get a kick out of and of course a chance to hone your newfound super powers. :)

JayD
12-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Sultry, good job!--one comment--look closely--are the eyes that you drew spheres or are they flat--did you eliminate hard edges--try, where the eyball curves into the socket to do some very fine shading--don't overdo it of course and eliminate any hard lines where the sphere curves toward the back of the eye. Look at your own eye again in the mirror and you will see what I am talking about.

You have beautiful eyes, BTW-- :)

sultry
12-03-2004, 11:25 AM
lol ok

Jay but you try drawing with a fat ball pt pen.

I am going to re do this on good paper and use my trusty pencils. :)
I think this would be good for new aviator.

& ty for the compliment (blushes) & :p

Cathie Jones
12-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Sultry, you do have beautiful eyes - even with a fat pen!!! :D

Barbara, the smiley is making cards. Not quite what we're doing here, but he is drawing them!

JayD
12-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Subway, its a good sketch so don't throw it away. Emily Dickinson wrote some of her best poems on grocery paper. Instead, consider it a preliminary sketch and trace transfer it to some drawing paper and work it from there--don't forget to either draw in or eye your center line. :)

Sultry--I did not know you were an Aviator. :D

mhimeswc
12-03-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm still checking in every day, enjoying everyone's work. My hand and arm are still bothering me, plus my littlest grandson has graciously given me his bad cold, so I feel miserable, have a sore throat, etc. And my two older grandsons, age 8 and 5 have taken over every square inch of my house. So I haven't been drawing. Not even ice cream cones. :-(
(Does this sound too much like the dog ate my homework?)

But they will be leaving on Sunday, and I will try to catch up and keep up after that. I think I still need practice on cubes, spheres and cylinders, as well as cones.

Michelle H.

Blah
12-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Hello everyone....I have been visiting the classroom regularly and looking at everyones posts but haven't had the time to comment except briefly on a couple of occasions.

To start with I made a mental note of some of my observations hoping to post the comments later on, but this thread grows so rapidly that it soon became too much to keep track of. In future, if for some reason I can't respond immediately, I plan to note down my comments for whenever I can post.

There have been so many excellent drawings....the improvement in every person's work is phenomenal and a testimony to Jay's efforts :clap: Even within this thread itself I see several of you posting better and even better work. :clap:

I have found the smileys improving too thanks to our gif queen :D and Jet and I have now started looking forward to each new offering at the end of her post from Cathie.

Finally found some time to draw today. This took about 20 to 25 minutes to faintly outline and get the overall proportions, and then about 3 hours (I think...I just lost track of time) of shading with a 2B.

I am tied up with work and some social commitments until late Sunday evening, but I hope to do one more assignment each day, tomorrow and the day after.

Blah

mothsailor
12-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Blah, Good to see you again! That's a great piece of work. :clap: :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/52179-1356.gif

(Just to show I can do the smiley thing too!) :)

Blah
12-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Thank you Dave....and that's a lovely smiley :D

Blah

sultry
12-03-2004, 02:51 PM
gee ty CJ :)

Jay umm what is the lil pic up on the left corner called? I thought its called an aviator.

Blahhhhhh wow you are such a wonderful artist I love how you made that portion and shiny like real steel. ~KAV~ :clap:

by the way CJ I am writing something about you in my next post ( I am not good at putting down words so I am re writing it again ) but I think it needs to be mentioned because I am soooo darn proud of you. :clap:

Michelle I know what you mean about catching a cold, I hope you feel better soon and join in with us, we all miss yah :wave:

(CJ you have a get well icon for Michelle)?

I am so excited my boyfriend bought me an desk easel, I think this will help me to portion my bottles & jugs better now. :)

JayD
12-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Avatar--an Aviator is someone who flies (usually an airplane) :D

Judi1957
12-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Michelle, :wave: Good to hear from you! Hope you feel better soon!
After the visit your house must look like a cyclone hit it, eH? And that would be a cone. :D We will be so glad to have you back! :clap:

Blah, Good to hear from you too! I only read part of your post and my eyes saw your bike thingie and 25 minutes and thought 'Not only is he good, he's super fast'. Then I saw 3 hours. Your post is great!!

Sultry, Good eyes!!!! While you were doing your make-up!?! I probably would have stuck the long pencil in my eye thinking I had the short mascara wand! That was so-o-o nice of your boyfriend to get you an easel. Wonderful actually!

Ann, Mary and Dave :wave: :wave:and thanks for the comment on my friend Fuzzy.

CJ Oh Great Gif Queen, I want to say again Great Job!!! And the desk smiley is so cute. I do like the group hug the best!

Subway, good job! Glad you are back, seems you've been gone a while :wave:

I got a call today for my first paid commission!!!!! I had done a freebie for a business aquaintance in Pittsburgh (CP portrait of his little boy) and that got me this!! I told them I couldn't possibly have it for Christmas and they understood that. So there will be no hurry as it will be a present for another time. I'm excited!

Cathie Jones
12-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Aw, shucks, Sultry - I'm just having fun with this stuff, and any credit for improved drawing goes to Jay for his teaching, leadership and vast amount of patience (not to mention that whip)!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/23460-bullwhip_smiley.gif

Nice smiley, Dave! :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_sick.gif Michelle, please get well quick and come back to us!!!

Blah, that bike thingy you drew is soooooooo wonderful! I always look forward to your drawings. Someday I hope to be that good. Might as well mention that someday I hope to have 2-3 hours to work on something, too! :D

It's Friday, jeans day, had pizza and cheesecake for a birthday at work, and we just got word that we're getting the 23rd off as well as the 24th for being such good kids all year! Does it get any better than this???
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_happy.gif

sultry
12-03-2004, 06:22 PM
:wave: hi Judi I am so happy he bought me this but most of all I am so happy he is supporting my art I work for him too, Kind of a bookeeper/secretary for his constr. co. So it is double appreciated that he is allowing me to attend this class. :)

CJ I just wanted to say that I am so proud of you because remember back in class 1 when you worried about time and getting in your assignments? I am proud of you for sticking to it and not only that but you are determined to learn and it shows. :)

Another thing, somewhere in class 1 and in some other classes not sure where but I should of quoted you.

You were turning in work and said it was crummy or not proud of it.

The jug is a new beginning of work that fits the quality you are proud of because it shows in way you sketched it. You put not only time into this but you also put all the things you learned.

~KAV~ CJ :clap: :clap: :clap:

edited to add..
Yes the credit goes to Jay with out saying but you have to want to learn before anyone can show you.

Cathie Jones
12-03-2004, 06:30 PM
:o Thank you, Sultry. I am proud of the jug, and very thankful for the knowledge that is being shared here - and the honest critique. Sometimes people are so afraid of stepping on toes, they won't give an honest appraisal of your work, and that doesn't help the learning process.

This is one great forum, and I'm very glad to have found it and all of you!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_blow_kiss.gif

(If anyone on dial-up is having trouble loading these pages because of my animated smilies, let me know and I'll slow down . . . )

djdedman
12-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Hi JayD and Class :wave:
I hope no one minds me posting this. Even tho I have not been able to be in class with you all, I have printed All lessons.
Just wanted to say I miss everyone and your drawings are just terrific.
Can hardly wait until I can start on my lessons.
Looks like it will be a little longer before I can start as learned yesterday I have been walking on a broken foot the last 5 to 6 weeks. :evil:
First x-rays did not show anything, Dr did them again last time I was there, 3 weeks ago. Waited until I came in for my appt. yesterday to look at them. Then told me was broken in two places. So in a boot now for about 8 weeks or so, he also cut on bottom of both feet for problems I've been having with them. Needless to say a little uncomfortable. Especially since I was getting ready to decorate for Christmas.
Guess I should just face up to it and say, welcome OLD AGE . :D :D :D
Didn't mean for this to be such a long message.
Miss you
:wave: Jackie

Cathie Jones
12-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi Jackie! Here's a group hug for you http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2004/23460-grouphug.gif We'll be glad when you can join the lessons, too! Seems like it would be a good thing to do while you have to stay off that foot! :D

sultry
12-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Judi writes...
I got a call today for my first paid commission!!!!! I had done a freebie for a business aquaintance in Pittsburgh (CP portrait of his little boy) and that got me this!! I told them I couldn't possibly have it for Christmas and they understood that. So there will be no hurry as it will be a present for another time. I'm excited!

Hip Hip Hurrrayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Way to Go Girl :clap: :clap:

PS
ohhh Jay, duhhhh I see now the difference and no I do not mean an aviator :)

edited to add..
Awe Jackie sorry to hear about your foot :( I am glad you downloaded the classes....it will give you something to study while your off your feet :)

I broke my left ankle last year (I still have the plates in it) and was off my foot for a good 3 mths and it would of been nice if I would of sketched back then instead of watch tv all day.

djdedman
12-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Cathie and Sultry, thanks. Would be nice except don't have that much free time at present. I am sole caregiver for husband and son, both disabled. The Dr used the boot so I'm still able to do for them, just slower. :D
I know things will calm down soon and I'll be ready. :wave:
Jackie

JayD
12-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Blah, that is a great bike thingy--there is a loosness in your drawing that is becoming more and more aparent. See if you can vary some of the values to get a more metal effect--this looks very good.

Jackie, I am sorry about your foot--just take your time and get well and keep us in the loop so that we know you are ok.

If anyone is interested. I need someone to run the show for Thursday of Next Week. I will be on the road thursday so will not be around if someone would liek to lead for the day--we will be well into the course so you just need to keep everyone on track and offer constructive criticism. I will return sometime Friday. I have to attend an orientation session and then an evening affair also business related.

sultry
12-03-2004, 11:30 PM
I will be subbing next wed so thurs is ok with me Jay. I maybe gone for a few hours in the morning but will be home all day after that.

I re did my eyes in pencil and kept on going. This is a self portrait. I think I should of blended with a stump it looks choppy.

mothsailor
12-04-2004, 05:25 AM
I got a call today for my first paid commission!!!!!

That's really exciting! Clearly they are people of great taste!

Jackie: Sorry to hear about your foot. Sounds like you are having a tough time at the moment. We'll be thinking of you. Hope you can join in the fun soon.

Sultry: now we can see that it's not just your eyes that are beautiful! Too bad you already have a generous boyfriend! :envy: :( (*calls to wife* "Just kidding, darling!") :D

idcrisis55
12-04-2004, 06:41 AM
I have something outside the class that you folks might want to take a stab at--a few months ago, I initiated a thread called "The Great KidPic Challenge". Basically is is a thread of self portraits as the artists as children. Feel free to try your hand at this challenge as it is a lot of fun.

Otherwise check it out because there is a picture of me and a picture of Jet.

Jay, I opened the list of all the threads started by you but don't see this one. Is it in the Drawing & Sketching Forum?

cmwynn
12-04-2004, 07:07 AM
I am hopelessly behind in just reading all the posts here, miss getting to join in the conversation. I have been drawing things that start out as cones, whether they look like it in the final rendering. The Father Christmas is an ornament, probably should have left off the string.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2004/29839-Cones1xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2004/29839-Cones2xm.jpg

idcrisis55
12-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Subway, good on you for sketching when you can! I've used envelopes, napkins, anything that is at hand lol. I like your bottle with the shading and the lettering. I would suggest rounding the bottom front just a tad and darkening the shadow where it comes away from the bottle.

Hi Barbara, hope you get a chance to draw this weekend and look forward to hearing from you on Monday!

Sultry very expressive eyes. Ah, I just saw your self-portrait. I like it a lot. Good shapes, values and nice modeling. The only thing I can suggest is maybe a highlight or lighter value on the right cheek bone as it looks just a bit flat.

Michelle, sounds like you have been having a rough time of it with the arm, shoulder and now a cold. I really hope you get to feeling better very soon. I miss seeing your work :)

Blah, the bicycle thing is really good! You are excellent at giving forms shape.

Judi, much congratulations on the commission. That is soooo cool and great encouragement!

Hi Jackie! oh my, broken bones and then having both feet worked on. How in the world can you even walk. We miss you here too and glad to see you are still with us. Hope you get a chance to start drawing/sketching soon. It is difficult sometimes when one is a caregiver (I am to my Mom and sister) to find the time to do what one would like to do, like draw. Or sometimes even, just quiet time. I'm glad you are able to walk some and know it puts more of a strain on you.

Cathie Jones
12-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Good morning peeps. Just checking in to see how many fabulous works of art were posted while I slept!

I watched a PBS show last night about artist John Nava and the tapestries he had created from his artwork for the cathedral in Los Angeles ( http://www.olacathedral.org/cathedral/art/tapestries.html ) . If you have a chance, you should see it. This guy is something else!!!

Sultry, I like your face - and I think you're right about softening the lines with blending. I'm looking forward to your hands & feet week!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_wiggle_toes.gif

sultry
12-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Ty Dave but boyfriend says I look better than the pic. lol he says who has a nose like that???? lol I made it look so serious too. I think he is not used to me looking mean. LOL

Oh, Ann, click on Jay's name, click on all his posts and you will see it there (better yet I will get it for you) and bring it to the top.

The self portrait is WIP btw not finished with the values so yes I am going to un flatten the cheek. :)

I will be trying to soften the skin too, CJ. :)

Ty for all the C&C just confirms what I feel about it too.

Subway, may I suggest something that Jay has said before on the glass flask?
I have been practicing this because I have a tendacy to make my things look very lopsided.
practice makes perfect. :)
Make a center line.
Draw one side first then match the other side.
Draw your flask with very visible lines and then do the slinky effect in shading.

Love your Christmas items you supplied too. :)

sultry
12-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Good morning peeps. Just checking in to see how many fabulous works of art were posted while I slept!

I watched a PBS show last night about artist John Nava and the tapestries he had created from his artwork for the cathedral in Los Angeles ( http://www.olacathedral.org/cathedral/art/tapestries.html ) . If you have a chance, you should see it. This guy is something else!!!

Sultry, I like your face - and I think you're right about softening the lines with blending. I'm looking forward to your hands & feet week!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_wiggle_toes.gif
Wow CJ his work is so beautiful. I love it, Thank you for sharing that.

Oh and I am looking forward to subbing too because when you are showing someone else something, you yourself learn too. :D

Judi1957
12-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Morning all!

It was so-o-o-o nice to sleep in!

Jackie, I am sorry you are having such a go of it all. :( I hope you feel better soon. I feel for you as my Mom was the caregiver when my Dad was so sick, and it totally wore her out. You have a tough situation. We will all be awaiting your return to class! Take care of yourself too!!!!

Sultry, Your self portrait is really nice, will be anxious to see your finale with the blending. There is that look of concentration. I did one a few months ago and mine had that look too. Glad you stepped in to help next Thursday...sounds like you get to stay home.. :envy: .. :envy: .. :envy:

Connie, Glad you 'see' you. Looks like you need to try to get your lines straighter and draw more symmetrically so one side mirrors the other. You are getting me in the Christmas mood with the tree and ornaments!!!

Ann, Sultry and Dave, Thanks for the congrats on the commission. I hope it works out. It is to be a war veteran portrait.

CJ...that is funny..the wiggling toes and fingers. :cool:

JayD, I am working on my grisalle of the clock. Going thru the Colored Pencil Solution Book and found a section on metals. Tryed fooling around with the instructions there for metals. I am having a tough time getting a high gloss brass. :( I will figure it out though. :D

Cathie Jones
12-04-2004, 10:51 AM
Do you listen to music when you draw? I usually take advantage of free time to watch a movie while I draw, but yesterday I received the Ray Charles CD "Genius Loves Company," so I drew twiggy cone trees while I listened to it. Looks to me like my trees are dancing!!!

Jay, thank you for cracking the whip - I loved this! Started with cone shapes and filled them with slinkies, then lots of scribbling (boy, was that fun!) and sharper, darker lines. Fun, fun, fun!!!!! I've noticed that it's getting easier to get into whichever side of the brain does these things, too.

sultry
12-04-2004, 10:59 AM
CJ that would make an adorable Christmas card! ~KAV~ on your slinky Christmas trees ( slinky makes them look so 3d and no outlines ) Good Job on perspective too. :clap:

I listen to music too. I like Motown (listening to that right now) to classic Rock and Latin instrumental, New Age to some pop contemporary lol.

Can not wait to see the commission painting Judi.

I will be doing one of my daughter soon too in her uniform holding such a big gun. :( But I am very very proud of her. :D

JayD
12-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Judi, set up a could of test pictures of metals--also check out Gary Graham's book on textures. Secret to metal is like glass--it is highly reflected and burnishing will be the key to the high gloss.

CJ: those look good and I can tell you are getting a real good feel for drawing. When this class is finished I would love to see some of the watercolor projects that you folks take on.

You folks have done an outstanding job this week!!!!

idcrisis55
12-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi Connie, we must have x-posted. I love drawing Christmas don't you! It is good to see you drawing. Nice shadowing on the bottle and that lettering too. I liked your line drawing of the angel. I can see the care you took with the ellipses especially on the sleeves. One suggestion would be to the drawing upside down (or side ways in the case of the funnel) which will show where the drawing is out of round or not at the same angle.

Cathie that is gorgeous work in the cathedral, Wow!

Sultry, thanks for the info. I will click on Jay's name again because I must have missed it :) Looking forward to Wednesday and Thursday too!

Cathie, I like your "twiggy cone trees". You have good darks and lights with mid-values. Nice job on the barrel too!

Again, hope I haven't missed anyone's work!

Here is what I have drawn today for the next painting due on Thursday. Please feel free to critique away as I could use all the help you are willing to give. I'll post it then I am actually going to draw some of the lesson photos :D Forgot to mention the reference photo used is by TeAnne in the RIL which I appreciate using, thank you :).

mothsailor
12-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Ann, that's an amazing drawing! Great range of values and textures. I like the little details, like the reflections of the cats. Wonderful! :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
12-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Ann, you do have a way with glass! The crystal and cats are gorgeous!

idcrisis55
12-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks so much Dave and Cathie :wave: :D
Here is the link to the photo (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=21639&sort=1&cat=61&page=1) and you will see how off I am especially on the neck of the tall cat and on the glass.

Attached also is a line drawing and then shaded drawing of the bottle from the lesson. I have a terrible time doing the line drawings, lots of erasing :(

mothsailor
12-04-2004, 07:16 PM
you will see how off I am especially on the neck of the tall cat and on the glass.

I prefer your version to the photo! :clap: Your flask is good, very delicate shading. :clap:

Fireman's kid
12-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Wow! I just read for almost an hour to catch up on the last two or three days worth of posts!! :eek:

Back a few pages Jay asked about Christmas and what we wanted to do. I personally don't see myself having much time for the assignments between now and then. I would love to stretch a lesson or two out a week or have a week off. I plan on playing catch up after the holidays (I hope!). But even without extra time I will do my best to catch up. I am keeping up on the reading - am just behind in drawing and posting. (you know, the actual work. :rolleyes: )

Some quick comments from the many pages I read...
Judi - Congrats on your first commission!! :clap: I know just how exciting that is. Have confidence in yourself and it will go great. :)

Cathy - great jug/vessel drawing. The shading is wonderful and I see you are doing well with the no hard lines lesson. :clap: I also listen to all kinds of music when drawing or painting - current popular stuff, Motown, Hawaiian, Elvis - depends on my mood. For this class I have done some drawings while watching TV but I find it makes me even slower than normal which is pretty sllllooowww.

Blah - great bike dohickything! I think even 3 hours is quick!

Jackie - so sorry to hear about your broken foot. You should kick your doctor with your good foot for waiting so long to read your xrays! Either that or send him the spidey-cone as a gift! :evil:

Ann - I really like your cat and crystal drawing and am amazed how you made those dark cats stand out against that dark background. I think the trick was making them smooth. One thing I noticed was that the crystal bell (is that what it is?) is not as tapered near the handle as the reference photo shows it.

My apologies to all the posts I didn't get a chance to comment on. I wish I had time to make remarks about each and every drawing. A special thanks to the people who regularly comment. As someone who doesn't get the chance even though I would like to, I really appreciate the time you put in helping the rest of us.

I agree with everyone that this is a great class!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
12-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Well I got behind for sure this time with just one day away.

Subway nice to see you around again.

Sultry, You are beautiful lady and I love your self portrait. BTW I will be home thursday morning if you need help subbing.

Michelle, hope you feel better and take care.

blah, I love your bicycle thingy and it is always nice to see your posts.

Jackie, take care and I'm with you there also as Ann in the care taking. I have a severe, brain damaged (birth accident), 5 year old grandaughter that means the world to me, so my priority in life now, is to be available when she, my son, my dughter in law and her brothers need me. So JayD you are not only making people draw well, you are also healing some of us spiritually.

JayD that is a great thread you have with the kiddy portraits. I will post something and try to draw it. You were and are a cute kid.

Connie, I always enjoy seeing your drawings, I like your angel and the beer glass, they have a unique style.

Cathie, those cones are fantastic and before clicking on the thumbnail they really look like christmas trees.

Ann, those cats with the glass are great, you portrayed the texture of the cats beautifully.

Here are my vessels with the shadows and the values, but those values are very tricky for me and then I did them on computer paper and got everything messy.

You all have a good evening!!! :wave: Sorry this turned out so long, it looks more like a novel.

JayD
12-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Sultry--Great Self Portrait--I Love he way that you played with lines--the eyes are much better. Check the left eye and make sure that you have properly balanced the right eye with the left. See if you can take the values a bit darker--I notices that you are a dark person so try to exploit that point.

Connie---Welcome Back!!! I missed you. Christmans should be called "conemas" dont you think? You are doing very well. Practice working on perfecting your elipses. they are probably one of the most important things that you learn here. I have a quick project for you to try--Make me a decorated slinky christmas tree. Use the center line to balance your oject on the left and on the right. Great Work!!!

Sultry--you are absolutely correct--the center line is the key to getting a properly balanced object. Also, continuosly check your work with a mirror.

CJ--Slinky Tree!!! They look great and the post is a nice touch--go back and check the post to make sure that it is a proper cylinder.

Ann--your cats are outstanding. The flask is great as well--I like the fact that you attacked cut glass--it is very difficult to do. The only critiques that I have --I probably should see more of the cat in the glass then I am currently seeting--you might want to develop that a bit and keep in mind that the cut glass will cause severe distortion. That is very important. On the flask, the body look superb but you might want to re-examine the neck--it causes the bottle to flatten out a bit and detracts from the whole effect. Otherwise outstanding use of light and shadow and a difficult subject to tackle!!! Great job!!!

Mary--Great job--as you have probalby discovered--coputer paper is not the easiet ground to work. Still--you did a very nice job--I would like to see you go a bit deeper with the values--see if you can capture the mood created by the light source. Outstanding!!!

Metier
12-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Several pages of practice and a pepper.

sultry
12-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Hi everyone :wave:
I sketched all day (in between household chores) on my selfportrait so did not get back to the thread till now.

Ann, You picked a challenge and really have nailed the shape and shading well. ~KAV~ :clap:
As Jay said the values need more.
Look at the bell outline in the photo then look at yours.
See the light has given the bell a bright outline no dark edges except negative space.
Look at the reflection light on the cats. Take the chests and see how they blend into the dark? Infact it looks like a bright light with a fuzzy halo around it. If you were to softly blend the dark around the light you will get the same effect.

Mary, Great Still Life Photo and Drawing you also have done a subperb job in capturing shapes and shading. ~KAV~ :clap:
As Jay said values need to be darken.
Look at the picture of the highlight on the pots and see that it also has a halo around it. Blend the dark into the light. The edges are very dark and blend lighter as it goes around so deepen your darks a little more and one side has a light reflection brighten that and then blend the dark to it. Other then this, I see you have captured the photo to a T.
sure I would love your help Thursday. Thank you. I should be home by noon.

Meiter, I see your practice sketching cones paid off well for you. Your portions on your ice cream cone and glass are great. I like the spider and pepper too. :) being latina I eat alot of chile peppers :D

Jay, was going to wait and put this on the next thread because it was about bringing it all together. I have found many shapes on my drawing as I shaded it. :) but I need your critique everyone elses. I am getting there and I would like the skin texture to look softer. Would I blend with a stump now? Or do you think I need more darker values still?

JayD
12-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Hey, Sultry--I am not big on blending technques but that is your call. Frankly, I would leave the texture as it is-all of those lines are beautiful.. I would fix the lips which are slighly askew and also the same for the left eye--I see you made some corrections which definitely improved your work however. Keep at it --you are almost there.

I am not latino--I am Irish--but I do appreciate a good chile pepper. :D

JayD
12-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Metier and EVERYBODY--don't let your ellipses become eSLIPses. Practice, practice practice. NOW, my favorite is the wine glass because you have broken it down element by element. Very smart. Check your work in the mirror to make sure that it looks right to you--I know it sounds silly but it works or turn it upside down and check it out and get a second opinion from the other side of your brain. Metier, try to work more from your elbow--it will stabilize your drawing and don't worry about being tight with your drawings--try to achieve for some looseness--you do not want to ever tighten up a drawing until the VERY end. Good work and I love the pepper. :clap:

sultry
12-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks Jay for the C & C, but I am lost on how to fix the eye. Do you mean the smaller eye?

By the way, in reality, I have a smaller right eye it does not seem to slope down as low as my left. Or my left eye looks opened more than my sleepy looking right eye. :confused: I may of accentuated it too much.

So you think I should not blend the lines. Would more blending with lines make the skin appear softer?

I do not like how the drawing has a hardness to it. :(

I feel that the mouth does need help lol. I will work on that too.

I am going to open it in my photo program and see if I can fix my lopsided eye.

edited to add...
I used HB mechanical pencil & kimberly 2 B, should I go on to 3B & 4B?

idcrisis55
12-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Good Morning Everyone :wave:

Dave, thanks for looking at the cat drawing and photo again :)

Stacy, Mary, and Sultry, thanks for the critiques & comments.

Mary I noticed that you are so right about the tapering on the glass. I had a problem with the shape of the glass from the beginning. It was kind of strange on this one as normally I work left to right but this time I drew the small cat first and basically completed each individual object before going on to the next one. When I sketch the line drawing for the painting I will work all three of them at the same time to get the proportions and angle right.

Mary, wonderful shading on these two items. I like the way you did the shadows on the walls as well. I read Jay's comments and don't have anything to add :)

Jay, I had a really difficult time getting the cat in through the faceted glass. In looking at the photo the light, horizontal triangular shape is where the kitty shape is. I bet to get more of the kitty shape I have to pay attention to the smaller shapes within each facet, right?

I'll look at the neck of the bottle too and thanks Jay. I tried to follow the curve and the values in that area but missed it in the roundness :) BTW, I used a q-tip that I had used to smooth the cat surfaces to apply most of the shading on the bottle.

Metier, good practice with the cone shapes and all the drawings. It isn't easy is it to train the eye and the hand. I also enjoyed what you did on the spider, wine glass and the cone plus I like the chili pepper. You did a great job getting those shapes on the spider and like the value changes of the pepper.

Sultry, this is looking much more finished. I like the light you achieved on the right side of the face. I just noticed two things. One is the shape of the iris on the left eye is more round than the right eye. The other area is that from the corner of the left eye, inside area, over to the slope of the nose. That area nows seems to have less form. It could be the line that runs down from the inside eye to the curve of the cheek bone that is drawing my eye. I have to tell you I think you are doing fabulous with this and like the way you used soft lines to show shading and shape. I see Jay critiqued this but will go ahead and leave what I wrote in, and that you replied about the eyes. :)

All of you that are doing the twiggy cones, I can now appreciate what it takes to do these well. This is what I started last night and then added some other cone shapes around the paper. Needless to say, a lot more practice is needed with slinky drawings, and working from the elbow. These were done using the cupped hand method.

Blah
12-05-2004, 10:01 AM
I have been trying to post this since about 20 hours ago, so some of this stuff may be slightly dated.

Jay, thank you for the comments on my bikethingy drawing. I don't consider it finished yet and will definitely work on it some more. I was very keen on posting something after having been AWOL earlier in the week.

Sultry, Judi, Cathie, Ann, Stacy and Mary... Thank you.

Sultry your self portrait is terrific. There is a slight assymmetry as Jay has pointed out. But most humans have this and we very often don't notice it. Only you can therefore judge whether you have achieved perfect or very close likeness. As a drawing it is wonderful and I think it looks very nice as it is. One point though...There is a near vertical dark shading running below your left eye, sort of parallel to the nose. That is unusual and you should check it out.

Judi congratulations to you on your commission. Hope this leads to very many more. Incidentally I thought your flask (posted quite some time back in this thread) was really good.

Cathie...I draw really slowly and for some time now I have been making a very great effort to do three things: drawing faster, making freer strokes, and darker ones. I saw your twig trees....finally (because I could not get through yesterday to the server on which these are stored and therefore could see only the thumbnails) and they are pretty good...in fact pretty and good. I am on a dial-up connection and I have a very tough time sometimes both downloading and uploading stuff. But I don't mind putting up with that, don't stop adding your smileys; I really look forward to seeing the new stuff you have for us in your posts :D <- My best effort.

Ann...I have never tried to draw subjects such as these until a few months ago. I have generallybeen interested in drawing faces and buildings. Your drawing of the two cats and the crystal jar / bell is very good. I have not looked at the reference picture but I like your drawing for the forms, the texture on the two cats, and the shading and highlights on them.

Mary, your drawing of the two pots is excellent :clap: You only need to darken it.

Jackie...I am very sorry to hear about the problems with your feet and I hope you get better soon.

Connie, Your drawing of Father Christmas is very nice and the string is not at all a distraction. I like the way you have shown the construction stage of this drawing. The shading, highlights and ellipses on the flask are nice, but the total effect would have been better if both halves of the flask had been symmetrical. The Xmas tree and the long stem glass are both fine. the mouth of the funnel is not quite right. It is not perpendicular, as it should be, to the vertical axis of the funnel. In other words, if you stand the funnel (that you have drawn) on its mouth, it will tilt to one side.

Metier...I can see that you have done a lot of exercises with cones and ellipses and they are paying off in your sketches. The icecream cone, spider and pepper are all good. The wine glass is unusual but I see that you have most of the elements that we have done in it....ellipses, cone, cylinder and a sphere and they are all very nicely done. I also like the way you have flattened the ellipse that represents the mouth of the wineglass as compared to the ellipses that represent the bottom of the cup portion of the glass and then the base itself.

Incidentally, I have lost my internet connection while I was typing in this rather long post. Will try to send it soon, but meanwhile this may get further outdated.

Blah

JayD
12-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Ann--EXACTLY--you have to count each facet as a separate piece of glass. You are definitely on the trail.

Sultry--post your reference photo your self along with your wip and lets take a looksee. :) Again, I would not lose those lines in the face--very stylish.

Cathie Jones
12-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Good morning everyone. Have to be quick - we're going to L.A. today to see 'La Boheme.' Hoping it doesn't snow here and in the mountain pass so we can get home afterward!!

Blah, I wish I had the time and patience to draw slowly. Unfortunately, I have to squeeze it in here and there, so I tend to rush and call things finished when they could use more work.

I posted a link to John Nava's work yesterday, but forgot to mention two things that struck me in the documentary. First, when he's 'working fast' he uses a grid to transfer his image to canvas; and second, he has a full-length mirror on a wall behind his easel and often turns around to check his work in the mirror. This guy is world famous, so if it's good enough for him . . . . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2004/23460-smiley_painter.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2004/23460-mirror.gif

Gotta run . . . see y'all later!!!!

sultry
12-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Jay here is the ref pic & so far how I am doing.
gotta run be back later off to eat. :)

Cathie Jones
12-05-2004, 12:52 PM
....zoom..... Jay, I forgot to say that post definitely is not round. It was a last-minute thing, just scribbled it, so I've decided it's not really a post, it's just a 2x4. :D See y'all tonight . . . *poof*

Blah
12-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Jay...this was done yesterday. It took about an hour with 2B and 4B and I tried really hard to draw with loose, free strokes. That is an effort for me; I usually draw with very short deliberate strokes and a very light touch.

Blah

mothsailor
12-05-2004, 01:54 PM
CJ: Lucky you, going to the opera! :music: Boheme is one of my favourites.

sultry: that self-portrait is really coming along!

Mary: nice job with those vases. Probably hard to get dark on computer paper.

Blah, that's really great work on the shell. I'm deeply :envy: ! :clap: :clap:

Probably missed some out...sorry if I did. :(

Here's something I was doing for the WDE, but I don't think I'm going to have time to take it any further than this. No cones, but thought I'd post it here anyway! :)

JayD
12-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Sultry, nice correction on the lips--re-examine the nose and see if you can spot some improvements that you can make. Lower the arches of the eybrows and the eyes--according to your reference--are exactly the same size--it is much improved from the last version--keep going.

Blah--it is very hard isn't it?--I think this is one of your best loose versions! :clap: :clap:

CJ--go ahead con convert it into a cylinder. :)

Dave, very nice rocking chair but....umm...where are the cones? :evil:

mothsailor
12-05-2004, 06:06 PM
OK, here are some cones!

Deb Leger
12-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Hi, I've had a busy week this past week so I haven't had much time to draw. (Or paint! :( ) But I did some drawing this aft, in between housework and laundry. Here's the drawing and later, I"m hoping to do the cones on the porch pic.

I've also not had much time to reply to all the absolutely awesome drawings being posted!!!!! Jay, did you ever think there'd be this much awesome action in the lessons when you were first starting?

Okay, here's mine and I'll start doing another. It's a fast sketch kind of thing, the bowl is a bit off and the background is 'nothing' but there's four cones in there. :p (Two regular cones and two 'inverted' cones!)

Deb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2004/11775-DSCF0013.JPG

Judi1957
12-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Evening all,

Kinda took the weekend off from here. The weekends my husband has off are few and far beween so we had a great weekend together. I did do a cone drawing this evening though. It was an etched brass container with an hourglass shape. It was coming along nicely then I messed it really bad :( with the shading so unless I can lift the scribble I did over it, I won't post it.

CJ, I hope your opera :music: was good. I have never seen one.

Sultry, your portrait is coming along although I don't think it does you justice. Your photograph is beautiful. :D
I agree with JayD's comments and also I think your jaw is more squared off.

Blah, such an awesome shell!!!! :clap:

Dave, your non-conial rocking chair turned out great!... as well as your cones!!!:clap:

Deb, Nice drawing. :clap: Have you been baking? :)

Well, I'm going to check out the drawing damage...

JayD
12-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Dave--ahhhh....cones!!! Very nice. You know, as I look at these, and thinking about perspective I am surprised that NO ONE made a forest out of these. Good job and thanks for doing them--they look great.

Deb--you are becoming an artistic MASTER--of the kitchen!!! :D I love the WHEESK especially--watch your ellipses--notice that when you do not perfect the ellipsis, your whole bowle is thrown off and leans to the left. Are you using the center line to balance out the symetrical objects? All in all, Deb an inspiring rendering. See if you can fix the bowl though--for you watercolorists, the ellipsis will be your worst enemy so best to conquer it now. Besides, Monday's class will hopefully force all of you to use the center line.... :evil:
You have an extraordary gift with delicate lines, by the way. :)

PS==the shaker thingy is PERFECTO and so is that Spear of Destiny dohicky in from of the bowl.

idcrisis55
12-06-2004, 06:28 AM
Good Morning Classmates & Teacher :cat:

Blah, thanks for the comments on the cats and jar. I am doing a line drawing now of them on watercolor paper and I'm finding that harder than a full drawing. I think because the lines have to stand alone so if they are off it is much more obvious. Are you enjoying drawing still life objects? I want to draw/paint people too but am waiting until I learn more about strokes, shapes, values, etc., and the class on faces/figures I also want to practice more cross hatching for sketches

Blah, that cone is so good!!! Great balance of contrasts and a sense of light hitting it. You are doing so well. I would be thrilled to draw something this well.

Jay, thanks, I am going to try to apply this while painting the glass as well :)

Hi Cathie, I've tried a grid once or twice but wasn't too successful at it. The mirror idea is a good one. Having one in front and back would be good for larger and smaller works. I keep a hand mirror close by so I can check it, especially small paintings and drawings (when I remember to that is lol).

Sultry, looking forward to seeing what work you do around the eye area. The other areas are looking good.

Dave, nice job on the rocking chair and the decking. Just a few more well placed darks and you have it :) Wow, those are great twiggy cones!

Deb, nice work on this drawing. Love those whisks and the leaves on the bowl along with the salt shaker too. You do such nice work! I see Jay has mentioned the ellipses but you might check the sides of the bowls as well, on the viewer's right, as it looks more straight than rounded.

JayD
12-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Ann--good comments---no grids allow in this class by the way :evil: Good observation on Deb's drawing :clap:

bjcpaints
12-06-2004, 07:12 AM
Uploading some drawings now that I can. You will see my problem with the seashell and how I put it together when I traced my correction.
Did ice cream cones and cone shaped beer glasses too and back to a couple of lessons ago; coffee mugs and bottles. This is the best I could do to catch up though for lessons. I posted some in 5 also.
Barbara

sultry
12-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Jay here is an update on my selfportrait (will stop to start the new class assignment though). I changed quite a bit, what I noticed was that I had my eyes too far apart and brought them in closer besides lining them up. I also squared off my jaw. I changed the nose and fixed the mouth. Highlighted the face and lightly drew lines through. The ref pic is not how I was looking at myself in the mirror so I had to hold my head the way the ref pic was.
I still want to make it softer and more values. :) I also flipped the drawing to coincide with the ref pic.

Blah I am in awe of your work, that shell looks equisite. !~KAV~! :clap:

Dave, your cone trees look like they are made of jute string and bravo on the perspective of your chair. !~KAV~! :clap:

Deb I absolutely love that still life, other than what was said on the bowl, I think you are right on. I too, love the whisk. !~KAV~! :clap:

Judi Thanks the nice compliment, it is hard to draw yourself. I see so many flaws I have. lol, I think I have accentuated on them. :confused:

Barbara, nice perspective on that shells and such pretty ones. :) Your pitchers are so well portioned too. !~KAV~! :clap:

Hope I did not leave anyone out. Back to the drawing board :)

Oh Jay, I think my new easle really made a big difference, I am able to sketch with my elbow so much easier now. I love how I also do not have to hold my pad up anymore. The easle does for it me. :)

JayD
12-06-2004, 07:45 AM
Barb--EVERYBODY--not Barb's use of the centerline to help correct the symetry in the picture--nice work. :clap: :clap: :clap: I like your work on the shell--it does seem a bit tight in a couple of places (the mouth of the shell for example) but overall nice work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

grimm
12-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Seriously far behind on my lesson posting.......

My attempt at the spidey.

Blah
12-06-2004, 08:57 AM
Blah, that's really great work on the shell. I'm deeply :envy: ! :clap: :clap:

Dave...thanks, but you shouldn't. Your posts are getting better and better and what I said about it in an earlier thread still holds.

The chair is very well drawn in terms of proportion and perspective (I haven't seen the reference picture) and I really think you owe it to yourself to take it further. I am sure it will turn out to be a very good drawing.

Blah

mothsailor
12-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Dave...thanks, but you shouldn't. Your posts are getting better and better and what I said about it in an earlier thread still holds.

The chair is very well drawn in terms of proportion and perspective (I haven't seen the reference picture) and I really think you owe it to yourself to take it further. I am sure it will turn out to be a very good drawing.

Blah

Blah, Thanks very much. Coming from someone as talented as you that means a lot.

mothsailor
12-06-2004, 09:07 AM
Deb, Wow, that's really great work...I especially like the whisks.

Barbara, I think you did a good job on the shell...that's not an easy thing to draw imho.

Sultry, wow, that's a big improvement...and I thought it was good before!

Grimm, good to see you again! Just as we thought we were safe from spiders, along comes another scarily realistic one! :clap:

bjcpaints
12-06-2004, 09:18 AM
Wow! Just got a chance to look at everyone's work. I feel terrible that I never seem to have the time to make individual comments to each person anymore. Here is one huge "well done" for everyone! :clap: :clap: :clap:
And thanks so much for the nice comments on my drawings. This course is helping me tremendously even with the minute amount of time I've had to put into it.
Barbara

Blah
12-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Jay, Judi, Ann, and Sultry...thank you for your nice comments.

Sultry, I just saw the latest update on your self portrait. I liked the earlier version itself and I think its even better now :clap:

Dave, your twiggy cones have come out really well. The shapes are great and they all have a solid look to them.

Deb, excellent still life :clap: The pencil work is delicate and the entire effect is very nice. I would examine the right half of the bowl (our right) both at the top and the side. That alone is not on par with the rest of the drawing.

Ann, to answer your question...yes, I am enjoying drawing still life objects far more than I ever thought I would. But I think I still enjoy drawing faces even more :) though I haven't found the time to draw one recently.

I find your observation, about the line drawing being harder than a full drawing, quite surprising. I would have thought it would definitely be the other way around.

Barbara...very nice shells. I like the one which is on its side better. I get the feeling that you have spent more time on it and it shows. The cone and ellipses in it are very well worked out. Both jugs are beautifully proportioned
and you have got the shape perfectly. Now you only need to make them look solid by shading, giving highlights, and by eliminating the outlines.

Grimm...that is a very frightening spider and I mean that as a compliment :clap:

Blah

bjcpaints
12-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks Blah. I hope our upcoming lessons will teach me HOW to shade & highlight as I am in need of some direction. The 2nd shell is what I tried to trace in order to put the 2 cones of the shell together correctly. I definitely like drawing better than tracing and feel I have not gotten the knack of that tracing to clean it up for a final drawing idea. Back to the old drawing board. :D
Barbara

JayD
12-06-2004, 10:44 PM
grimm--I like your spider--try to move away from using hard lines to outline your drawing--a great arachnid regardless. :clap: :clap: :clap:

To everyone--we will be studying values in a VERY UNIQUE WAY!!! :evil:

idcrisis55
12-07-2004, 07:14 PM
I can see I'm a day behind on this thread lol.

Jay, thanks for the :clap: on my previous comments :)

Barbara, your drawings are really good. I like how you left the lines and then darkened the correct ones. Everything looked shipshape to me! (Yes, sea shells/ship shape lol).

Hi Grimm :wave: really nice work on the Spidey.

Sultry, wow, I like all the changes you made. Every portion appears to be reading right. Reaaallly good work!

Blah, I can understand why drawing faces would be intriguing. Trying to convey not only the facial features but the expressions would be so challenging. Did you see greenhoop's charcoal drawing? It was of an elderly woman and the drawing was done so beautifully, conveying the character and age in the face and hands.

I think the reason I find the shading easier is because I have room to move around, play and correct whereas with a line drawing it is just out there, standing on its own merit as far as accuracy and impact. Perhaps as I become more confident in my drawings this will change. I'm not sure this would make sense to anyone but me lol.

Barbara, remember the hatching, then the cross hatching we did. To me that is basically what shading is, placing the lines closer together to form the value and the shapes. Using very light pressure for the lightest values and then gradually darkening as needed. Sometimes I use a q-tip, kleenex, a stump or whatever is handy to blend/smooth out, if that is the effect I am seeking. Maybe that will give you some help and I'm sure others will too :)

Ut oh, just read Jay's comment about studying values in a unique way, which is cool. It was the :evil: that concerns me rofl. :D